Subject: Mr Hall, I Don't Use Twitter.

Posted on: August 17 2013 @ 05:44 PM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

Games in general are utterly unsuitable for touchscreen controls. Frown

Agreed.

Super Hexagon is utterly unsuitable for touchscreen controls. Frown

You are wrong, wrong, wrong. This, of ALL games I have EVER played on a 4.3 inch smartphone, is the MOST suited for touchscreen controls. It doesn't have little tiny blips you need to tap during gameplay, it is anywhere on each half of the screen. I only wish more mobile games had a touch interface as clean as Super Hexagon's.

Give it another shot. Let your hands adapt to a good position over time.

Glory to the Hexagon.

Replies:

Re: Mr Hall, I Don't Use Twitter.

Posted on: August 17 2013 @ 06:43 PM
By: Omega

Content:

I tried Super Hexagon with Mouse, touchscreen, keyboard and xbox controller. My scores are in this order from highest to lowest.

Posted on: August 20 2013 @ 08:54 AM
By: Clueless

Content:

Well I don't use or read Twitter, so HAH!

Posted on: September 06 2013 @ 05:12 AM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Games in general are utterly unsuitable for touchscreen controls. Frown

Agreed.

Super Hexagon is utterly unsuitable for touchscreen controls. Frown

You are wrong, wrong, wrong. This, of ALL games I have EVER played on a 4.3 inch smartphone, is the MOST suited for touchscreen controls. It doesn't have little tiny blips you need to tap during gameplay, it is anywhere on each half of the screen. I only wish more mobile games had a touch interface as clean as Super Hexagon's.

Give it another shot. Let your hands adapt to a good position over time.

Glory to the Hexagon.

You must be lucky enough to have a phone old enough to not have any touchscreen input lag! On the Galaxy Note 2, input lag is a hundred milliseconds.

A HUNDRED MILLISECONDS.

Pinball is impossible on newer capacitive touchscreens - 100ms is the difference between "Jackpot" and "That ball just went straight between the flippers." This is why Nintendo use resistive touchscreens instead.

Input lag is everywhere these days. It's one of the reasons why modern games are often insultingly easy - after finishing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode (which, honestly, wasn't very hard at all), I went back and played the first Bioshock on Hard mode (which was MORE FUCKIN' LIKE IT) and then went "Oh. When this was made, fewer people had those crappy flat-panel tellies that add 50ms of dead time between you pressing a button and anything actually happening, by putting a Photoshop filter on each frame so it doesn't look as shit. That's why the dudes in this game actually try to get out of the way of your crosshairs."

(in short, I've fixed my beloved CRT-based telly three or four times now, and you can have it when you bury me in it)

(insert much much longer rant about input lag and how display technology has taken massive steps backwards in the name of making a machine smaller and lighter even though you'll probably only have to move it a handful of times)

(HDMI? PAH! When I were a lad, component video were where it were at)
(it doesn't even have a VGA port (*sob*))

Posted on: September 06 2013 @ 11:39 AM
By: Matthew

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

You must be lucky enough to have a phone old enough to not have any touchscreen input lag! On the Galaxy Note 2, input lag is a hundred milliseconds.

Sounds like somebody needs a Nexus phone!

Seriously, if you haven't already, try looking into rooting/custom roms. Samsung phones ship with their own shitty version of Android called Touchwizz, which is notorious for horrible lag. It's not the phone itself; my Nexus 4's feedback is literally instant, as in 0 millisecond delay.

edit: but don't get a Nexus 4 now, because the Nexus 5 will be coming out in like literally a month

Posted on: September 06 2013 @ 04:16 PM

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

Sounds like somebody needs a Nexus phone!

Seriously, if you haven't already, try looking into rooting/custom roms. Samsung phones ship with their own shitty version of Android called Touchwizz, which is notorious for horrible lag. It's not the phone itself; my Nexus 4's feedback is literally instant, as in 0 millisecond delay.

edit: but don't get a Nexus 4 now, because the Nexus 5 will be coming out in like literally a month

Lookit this guy teaching his grandmother to suck eggs. I cooked ROMs for the bloody HTC Charmer, mate. Mr. Green It were Windows Mobile in them days. Uphill both ways in the snow for threppence ha'penny a week and we were lucky.

(for the record: I'm on a Note 1 at the moment (I717 model) because it was half the price of the Note 2, and has a better screen - also, the Wacom digitizer is compatible with the same stylus that I use in my laptop)

It's not a kernel/build issue, it's a hardware issue. About 80ms of lag is introduced by the digitizer controller, and even Samsung themselves can't get the source from Atmel. It's a black blob. Microsoft are working on a digitizer with 1ms input lag, but of course software will increase that a fair old bit.

(ponders whether to show Matthew how to measure his hardware input lag because if he does then the poor lad won't ever be able to not notice it again)

Posted on: September 06 2013 @ 05:19 PM
By: Matthew

Content:

I'm on a Note 1 at the moment (I717 model)

That's a really old phone, man. A full two years older than my N4.

Like, in smartphone years, that's, like, a million years.

Posted on: September 06 2013 @ 06:02 PM
By: Omega

Content:

Ooh, yes! Show us how to measure hardware input lag.

Posted on: September 06 2013 @ 06:35 PM

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

I'm on a Note 1 at the moment (I717 model)

That's a really old phone, man. A full two years older than my N4.

Like, in smartphone years, that's, like, a million years.

I just bought it last month. Razz

Posted on: September 08 2013 @ 11:28 AM
By: Twosocks+Monkey

Content:

Lookit this guy teaching his grandmother to suck eggs.

Now I want someone to draw a little furry cat person teaching CMJ to suck eggs. CMJ will of course, have to be in the CMJ equivalent of the grandmother outfit from Little Red Riding Hood.

IT WOULD BE SO CUTTTEEEEE.

Big Grin

-Rose

Posted on: January 14 2014 @ 11:05 PM
By: Sneaky

Content:

Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode (which, honestly, wasn't very hard at all)

I just finished it today and that's what I was thinking.

(I'm on a PC for it though.)

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=31017