Subject: Season Three Wild Speculation and Rumour Thread

Posted on: August 24 2013 @ 03:10 AM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Have at it. You know I'm working on it, you know the combat's gonna be more combatty and less "Automatic Until Dead," you know that you'll have one account under which you can have multiple characters, and apart from that you don't know jack. I'll be checking on this thread every now and then to steal ideas confirm, deny, or refuse to confirm or deny the rumours that you lot cook up. Have fun. Smile

Replies:

Re: Season Three Wild Speculation and Rumour Thread

Posted on: September 29 2013 @ 05:41 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

I brought this up before, elsewhere somewhere, but I'm going to go for it again.

In last season changeover, any Places that folk had built got carried over to the new season. Also, all SP obtained got replenished, whether spent or unspent. I don't know if either of these things are going to happen, let alone both, but I'll run with it anyway.

If (IF) we get all our SP back, then there's going to be a massive surfeit of SP. Given that some of the bigger Places had a lot of SP invested in them in the first place, that's going to exacerbate the situation.

I can see a strong case for charging SP to get our places back. How much depending on how big they are and how much programming happens in them.

A possible problem: If somebody doesn't have the SP to pay for their Place back. Maybe put an upper limit of 3/4 of the owners SP? This would also cover Places which are good and that we want to keep, but whose owners have left the island and so are ownerless.

This in turn leads on to a problem with Places built by a group, where the original investment (in both SP and time/effort) was far more than one person could put in. Perhaps some way that they could club together to raise the SP?

I'm not at all sure about anything here, it's just a brainstorm. It does of course depend on assumptions made about how Places and SP will be handled at change over. What do people think about this?

Posted on: June 13 2015 @ 03:14 AM
By: Waldo

Content:

Make watery areas useful. (fish?)

Make Magpies more of a thing.

Make Godhood achievable.

Posted on: December 22 2014 @ 08:31 AM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

I hear that in Season Three all of the skins will be identical save for CSS, and lose their dependence on tables for formatting, to become cool, hip, and HTML5-y

I also hear that, to control post-DK hording, gifts sent to other characters will appear in their inventories instantaneously, sans any wrapping, and thus be wiped out with a DK if applicable.

Posted on: August 24 2013 @ 03:30 AM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

Full Metal Lion flails wildly, overwhelmed by possibilities.

Um... uh... the Watcher telling you about three flowers! Distractions as an in-character thing that is explained! Dueling or other low-fat PvP! The ability to duel NPCs! One "Check Race" contrivance that can be set to whatever race(s) you want! More than two genders! Less than two genders! Exactly two genders! Name-changing! No more green "donate to author button"! No more strategy hut! The ability to link to the Enquirer in the chat! "I Am the Watcher Part 2"! The Abandoned Factory significantly changed, and explained to be a thing Robot the Robot built to make a Robot army to defeat the Drive! Jesús the Robot! New New Food system! More bars in more places! Wedding rings as weightless items! Cobblestones actually doing something besides Mementos! "I am the Watcher" in the Notebook! An explanation of why we call Joesph Hawton "Doktor Improbable". Storylines finally branching! SparkleWang!

Full Metal Lion, spent for the moment, runs off to write his Combat Manifesto.

Posted on: August 24 2013 @ 03:51 AM
By: Omega

Content:

Oh, oh! I heard that in Season three, players will have access to a special page that lists all their relevant visible stats in one place.
People would be able to pay to "feature" a public portal directly from all outposts to a certain room in any place they want for the convenience of others in the case of an event or when they want to advertise their places.
There will be an option for clan integration with places as people are trying to do with the current system.
The return of special characters is in season three. ♥
Robot overclocking will still be amazingly game-breaking.
Another thing: People won't have to hunt for pants again. There will be pant pastures ready for the good of everybody.

Posted on: August 24 2013 @ 02:16 PM

Content:

Right now:

The enormity of the project in front of me is hugely daunting. What I've got so far:
* Database access
* Account creation
* Character creation
* Text and graphics output, including colour and formatting codes
* Ability to fight one or several randomly-generated monsters, which is shaping up to be a lot of fun.

What I want is to create, within the core engine, a sort of "Gaiden Mode," wherein you can fight monsters, get loot, buy weapons and level up, but lacking any plot or storyline. So basically I'm trying to create LotGD within the S3 engine. That's my first goal.

So, to create a weapon shop, first I have to create an item system, and an inventory system, and the player will need loot to buy these weapons with, and so forth... For everything I want to do, there are a dozen other little things that need done first. Wish me luck. Smile

Posted on: August 24 2013 @ 05:34 PM
By: Docenspiel

Content:

The stocks. They are returning.

Oh, and there's going to be true multiplayer for smaller Danquest-like adventure. But stocks.
I also hear there's going to be a return of the Improbable Labs, but that's just hearsay.

Posted on: August 24 2013 @ 05:36 PM
By: Daedalus

Content:

Ooh, ooh, I heard that ...umm, what was it again ...

"List contestants" will be filterable by Outpost name;
Petitions will only be actioned if submitted in grammatically correct Swahili;
HOF will have an option to display all of (and only) a contestant's own rankings, (maybe in Omega's 'special page' above?);
When a new Mod is selected, the PSK will send up a puff of white smoke;
When there is a new MOTD I wont see it twice in the log in process;
Skidge's character will be reincarnated as a [REDACTED]
Backpacks will have a graduated (by weight) set of penalties for overloading
CMJ will have earned our admiration and respect for his amazingsauceness. Oh, wait, that's already happened!

Yeah, and some other stuff that I'm not at liberty to discuss.

D.

Posted on: August 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM

Content:

In Squat Hole, the monsters will be building walls to keep the Midget in, and if the walls fall, Squat Hole is breached and you have to do multi-fights with the monsters to save them from the Midgets.

Posted on: August 25 2013 @ 04:26 PM
By: Ilovemath224

Content:

Weremonster/Friendly Monster as a race.

That just opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

Posted on: August 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM

Content:

I'd rather have Zombie and Mutant be made worthwhile before adding new races, especially one as ill-defined as Friendly Monster.

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 12:31 AM
By: Matthew

Content:

Race rebalance is definitely a must. Right now only two or three are worthwhile and the rest are kinda worthless.

Get rid of race changers. Have the item let you disguise yourself as a canon race you've already unlocked instead. Zero DK jokers ruin roleplay.

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 02:57 AM

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

Race rebalance is definitely a must. Right now only two or three are worthwhile and the rest are kinda worthless.

Get rid of race changers. Have the item let you disguise yourself as a canon race you've already unlocked instead. Zero DK jokers ruin roleplay.

Restricting imagination also ruins roleplay. I don't like them anymore than you, but if I had to choose between them or not being able to make my character a Rotting Shark Corpse or a Judgemental Etch-a-Sketch all official-like, I'd choose them. Ideally, race changers would be able to detect when the person puts in 'Joker' somewhere in the field and doesn't allow it if they hadn't unlocked it yet. But that sounds like a hassle.

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 04:42 AM
By: Trowa

Content:

Well, from what I remember back in May, there was discussion that every action would be worth experience, not just fighting. So, you could level up just by building, or reinforcing the defenses, or even cooking. And, there's be a new race specifically for building (genetically engineered forklifts that resemble a bipedal dog of some kind?) that can't fight. And there's supposed to be a quest system instead of our typical 'fight-level-hunt-Drive'.

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 06:44 AM

Content:

Quote by: Docenspiel

Ideally, race changers would be able to detect when the person puts in 'Joker' somewhere in the field and doesn't allow it if they hadn't unlocked it yet. But that sounds like a hassle.

That actually sounds like a good compromise. I'd be down for that. I don't even think it would be that hard.

I love the idea of loot that you can sell instead of just getting money spit at you from a camera. Kind of just adds an extra step to the whole process but would really add a level of MAH IMMERSHUN.

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 08:53 AM
By: Ada

Content:

Quote by: Trowa

Well, from what I remember back in May, there was discussion that every action would be worth experience, not just fighting. So, you could level up just by building, or reinforcing the defenses, or even cooking. And, there's be a new race specifically for building (genetically engineered forklifts that resemble a bipedal dog of some kind?) that can't fight. And there's supposed to be a quest system instead of our typical 'fight-level-hunt-Drive'.

I'd rather see robots (duh) or mutants (extra arms) get good at building like they seem to ought to be, myself.

Matthew: people could just be 0 DK jokers even then by turning race off and writing it in their bio/rollover.

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM

Content:

Quote by: Ada

Matthew: people could just be 0 DK jokers even then by turning race off and writing it in their bio/rollover.

"Nature, it uh, uh, uh, it uh, finds a way."

Would be nice, though, to have it where - since all your characters will be on one account - after you unlock Joker the first time, you can use it on any alt afterwards.

I'm assuming, of course, that the story of Jokers in this new alternate world changes, to make it worthwhile for the vets to relearn the canon (He said the secret word! AHHHHHHHHHH!!). Then again, maybe nothing will change Story-wise!

Or maybe the whole transition to S3 will be Jill's fault for messing with Jokers in the first place!

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 07:42 PM
By: Genevieve

Content:

At everyone discussing 0 DK Jokers: Literally nothing is going to stop bad RP from happening, ever. Even if they're not Jokers, someone is going to write something that will make you roll your eyes and attempting to enforce something that a group considers "good" is just ridiculous. I say yay custom race changers, why the hell not, it's a free island. All we can do is encourage a culture of decency and fun and hope people catch on.

My hopefulls for S3 would be a preferences menu you can access anywhere! No more having to be in an outpost to change your bio or visual settings, wouldn't that be nice?

Perhaps this magical loot can interface with Places! Wouldn't it be just awesome to have player-run shops that exchange real game loot for real game currency? That'd be really fun!

Also something, anything, to make me give a damn about my Mount. I have literally not cared about my mount in ages, haven't bothered getting a new one, don't use it in RP. Something to make mounts more engaging.

Oh! And Monsters that change based on terrain! I've been BEACHED on a beach and thought that was kinda silly.

Query, though, about having one Main account with a bunch of characters tied to it: Does that mean you will be unable to have more than one instance logged on at the same time?

Posted on: August 26 2013 @ 07:54 PM

Content:

How about breaking the Preferences Menu into two different links? One for system stuff, like e-mail and password, and another for character stuff like bio and description? You could even shove the Hunters Lodge options in there, instead of making them the cute little items they are now, like the title changer, and make them pay-per-use (or buy permanent) from the 'character stuff' menu. Sort of like how you can buy chronos from the New Day Menu.

That way, the character stuff can be around everywhere with you, and the system preferences can stay in outposts.

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 04:30 AM

Content:

How about breaking the Preferences Menu into two different links? One for system stuff, like e-mail and password, and another for character stuff like bio and description? You could even shove the Hunters Lodge options in there, instead of making them the cute little items they are now, like the title changer, and make them pay-per-use (or buy permanent) from the 'character stuff' menu. Sort of like how you can buy chronos from the New Day Menu.

That way, the character stuff can be around everywhere with you, and the system preferences can stay in outposts.

Yeah, that's what it's gonna be, almost. We'll still have HL things as items, but you'll have an account-wide inventory as well as character inventories, for you to shuffle stuff around between (with the standard proviso that reusable HL items can't be moved around). You'll be able to change your bio from anywhere. Smile

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 04:28 PM

Content:

Quote by: Genevieve

Query, though, about having one Main account with a bunch of characters tied to it: Does that mean you will be unable to have more than one instance logged on at the same time?

I certainly hope not. It'd lead to a lot of quitting/rule-breaking. Using alts for roleplaying is so ingrained in Island culture now, and I don't see people wanting to give it up.

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 04:38 PM

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Yeah, that's what it's gonna be, almost. We'll still have HL things as items, but you'll have an account-wide inventory as well as character inventories, for you to shuffle stuff around between (with the standard proviso that reusable HL items can't be moved around). You'll be able to change your bio from anywhere. Smile

According to your conversation in Banter last night, the race changer will be going away, as well as a couple of the standard races (to make way for deeper story with the remaining races). Is this a hint that things are going to be more restrictive in terms of "what" you can play, or more open via an easier-to-use character-fiddly interface?

For those wondering, I didn't see anything definite said about which races were going away, just that he's toying with giving up zombies and mutants.

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 04:56 PM

Content:

According to your conversation in Banter last night, the race changer will be going away, as well as a couple of the standard races (to make way for deeper story with the remaining races). Is this a hint that things are going to be more restrictive in terms of "what" you can play, or more open via an easier-to-use character-fiddly interface?

For those wondering, I didn't see anything definite said about which races were going away, just that he's toying with giving up zombies and mutants.

Ah, here's the rub. We'll be introducing a "Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while, that will take the place of the Race Changer. It'll go beyond merely changing the text of your race - you'll be able to customize a hell of a lot more. Smile

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 05:38 PM

Content:

..."Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while...

I see what you did there. Razz Attack several issues with one sell fwoop, huh?

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 05:41 PM

Content:

Aye. Wink

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 06:25 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

I certainly hope not. It'd lead to a lot of quitting/rule-breaking. Using alts for roleplaying is so ingrained in Island culture now, and I don't see people wanting to give it up.

Rephrasing this from a mod's point of view: roleplaying is the main reason alts are a Good Thing right now. As mods, we never enforce that no-alt rule unless someone's also breaking Rule One. In my experience, the better the roleplayer, the more likely they will be to want to write stories sooner or later that include multiple interacting characters.

So, please... say you will allow unlimited concurrent logins on the same account.

Then there will be no excuse. We will be able to enforce a rule of one account per player. (With a mod override, naturally, for known cases where there are two or more players in the same household.)

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 07:40 PM

Content:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Rephrasing this from a mod's point of view: roleplaying is the main reason alts are a Good Thing right now. As mods, we never enforce that no-alt rule unless someone's also breaking Rule One. In my experience, the better the roleplayer, the more likely they will be to want to write stories sooner or later that include multiple interacting characters.

So, please... say you will allow unlimited concurrent logins on the same account.

Then there will be no excuse. We will be able to enforce a rule of one account per player. (With a mod override, naturally, for known cases where there are two or more players in the same household.)

I've no problem with people having multiple characters logged in at once, as long as they're not being dicks about it. Having all your characters under one account is supposed to do three things:
* Properly legitimize non-dickish use of alts.
* Emphasize that dickish use of alts is dickish.
* Have a central place for your account settings to make multiple characters logistically easier.

Having them logged in simultaneously, though, is tricky - it's less of a rules thing and more of a technical thing. Right now you can't have multiple accounts logged in from the same browser because the login's stored in session data - you have to use Private Browsing mode, or another browser, or what-have-you. In S3, current-logged-in-character is also stored in session data. We could get around that by, for example, appending the charid to the end of every URL, but that feels pretty clunky. I'll investigate and see what other approaches I can try.

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM

Content:

Well, from what I remember back in May, there was discussion that every action would be worth experience, not just fighting. So, you could level up just by building, or reinforcing the defenses, or even cooking.

Confirmed. Actually one of the ideas I'm most fond of. Smile Don't like combat? Don't do combat. Woo. Smile

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM

Content:

Oh! I remembered something else now from May: infinitely adjustable difficulty instead of Ranks anymore. I'm guessing a sort of risk/reward system. MY question is, will there be a way to show this off to everyone like the number of ranks we've done in our current Bio? (And would it be optional?)

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM

Content:

We'll be introducing a "Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while, that will take the place of the Race Changer. It'll go beyond merely changing the text of your race - you'll be able to customize a hell of a lot more. Smile

Oh man.

I'm imagining like a point buy system where you invest into specific strengths you want to focus on. Truly custom races?

That's fantastic.

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM

Content:

Ah-ha! Paths! I remember also something about paths on the map; narrow alleys to get from one safe place to another with minimal monster encounters. They would be narrower than the squares we have now, so you could explore around the paths, too. I think that was the intent?

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Content:

We'll be introducing a "Morphic" race, unlockable after you've been around a while, that will take the place of the Race Changer. It'll go beyond merely changing the text of your race - you'll be able to customize a hell of a lot more. Smile

Oh man.

I'm imagining like a point buy system where you invest into specific strengths you want to focus on. Truly custom races?

That's fantastic.

I like this a lot, and it seems to work better with the more recent writing CMJ's done for the Island, that makes it feel more like improbability seeps into people/things slowly, rather than "boom, the Drive hit you and now you're a joker", "surprise, now you're a midget", that was more prevalent at the beginning of S2. A lot of the "aw shit, my gun just randomly turned into a toaster and is singing the macarena" flavour text has been removed in favour of "the Watcher is changing and doesn't like it".
Not that we don't still have people playing macarena-singing toasters (and obviously, we still have that change mechanic about when we DK), but with the diary removed from the Museum the balance feels like it's shifted some, and a truly-custom-race mechanic would follow that pretty well.

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 11:23 PM
By: Tamar

Content:

Will S3 be more balanced in terms of when you gain HP it would actually help more and instant hit weapons will scale up when you do gain hp?

Posted on: August 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM

Content:

Yes. I would really like to see high HP not punish players. Bastard ranks are completely impossible because of my high HP, but there's no way for me to shed it.

Posted on: August 28 2013 @ 12:26 AM

Content:

Yes. I would really like to see high HP not punish players. Bastard ranks are completely impossible because of my high HP, but there's no way for me to shed it.

One of the many, many reasons we're completely re-doing combat.

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 04:00 PM

Content:

Ah-ha! Paths! I remember also something about paths on the map; narrow alleys to get from one safe place to another with minimal monster encounters. They would be narrower than the squares we have now, so you could explore around the paths, too. I think that was the intent?

To riff off somebody else's wild speculation for that real Chinese Whispers feel - I rather like this. Just like to say, that ideally for RPers, they should go to a few more places than between outposts. Getting out to the Jackalope for example. A few places that folks can build easily-accessible-yet-tucked away Places.

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM

Content:

I thought of an idea last night! Taking the current Global Banter and merging it with the old Radio Banter. Basically, having the ability to carry Global Banter with you everywhere in a separate frame, even while you travel, hunt Titans, or fish for crates. Okay, I know, big leap to assume we'll even have Titans or crates anymore, but, just translate that over to whatever the good reasons for travel will be besides 'getting from point A to point B.'

So yeah, having the Global Banter in one place on your screen at all times, with the ability to turn it on or off, move it around, etc., so you can stay connected (or disconnect) while you play or RP.

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 08:41 PM

Content:

I thought of an idea last night! Taking the current Global Banter and merging it with the old Radio Banter. Basically, having the ability to carry Global Banter with you everywhere in a separate frame, even while you travel, hunt Titans, or fish for crates. Okay, I know, big leap to assume we'll even have Titans or crates anymore, but, just translate that over to whatever the good reasons for travel will be besides 'getting from point A to point B.'

So yeah, having the Global Banter in one place on your screen at all times, with the ability to turn it on or off, move it around, etc., so you can stay connected (or disconnect) while you play or RP.

Confirmed, although it's really just a side-effect of making it easier for me to put in chatrooms without needing a bunch of extra checks.

Half the problem of doing chatrooms in S2 is making it so that, after submitting a comment, it took you back to a page that wasn't going to repeat an action. For example, on a world map square where you've just moved North, you don't want to move another square North every time you submit a comment or go to another chat page. The new (as of a couple years ago) chat system (which replaced the old commentary system) takes an explicit "This is the page where we go after they submit a comment" argument, but I think in S3 we can offload that work to somewhere else.

In S3, resume.php will take the place of badnav.php. We'll be running some checks on the POST info on that page to handle chat, preferences changes, and whatever else comes to mind where gameplay isn't explicitly affected. So basically, aye, we can have an expandable Global Banter wherever you want it. Smile

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Content:

I just had a thought... which may be wildly impractical, but who knows?

Okay, so it's a technical challenge to have multiple characters active at the same time, each one of them independently able to do everything that a character can do.

But do writers need all of that? Maybe all they really need is to be able to swap back and forth amongst their characters very, very easily. Their account is already logged in, so no need for a password every time. Save the current state (that is, the session array) of each of the account's characters somewhere (probably in a cache, for efficiency), and let people pick from a drop-down menu to decide which one they want to swap in. Task switching, not multitasking.

The current practice of having multiple browser tabs or windows open at a time is actually a bit of a hassle, too -- it's just that we've grown accustomed to that method's inconvenience and discount it. It could be a lot slicker if we could do it all from one window: just pick from a drop-down list, and BAM! now we're that character!

... there'd need to be a fairly visible character NAME on each page.

===
AND an almost entirely separate notion, born of a number of incidents that have required mod intervention over the years: maybe people could also pick an account handle that would be used in place of a character name for all of their OOC chat -- global, Place banter, Location Four (if that's still going to exist) -- no matter which of their characters happened to be active? It'd make it easier for new roleplayers (and some of them not so new) to keep in mind the distinction between 'me' and 'my characters.'

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM

Content:

AND an almost entirely separate notion, born of a number of incidents that have required mod intervention over the years: maybe people could also pick an account handle that would be used in place of a character name for all of their OOC chat -- global, Place banter, Location Four (if that's still going to exist) -- no matter which of their characters happened to be active? It'd make it easier for new roleplayers (and some of them not so new) to keep in mind the distinction between 'me' and 'my characters.'

That would be pretty neat.

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 11:37 PM

Content:

+1'd

Posted on: August 29 2013 @ 11:39 PM

Content:

That would be pretty neat.

Yes, that WOULD be neat.

Also, what you describe above - the fast-switching thing... that's already done and sorted. Two clicks to change character. Smile

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 12:54 AM

Content:

Everyone's already quoted Sessine's brilliant idea but oh my god it is such a good idea

I mean, I dunno that the join screen is going to be the same in s3, but the first time I joined, ever, I assumed I was logging in with a handle, not my character's name

Having an OOC handle to keep people separate from their characters is damn brilliant and will probably help solve a lot of problems in the long run. It also makes this whole logging in as one person with a buttload of characters a lot easier, since it eliminates the concept of a 'main' character. Now it is My Handle and My Characters not My Main and My Alts.

I'm just saying this is super awesome.

Also yes a quick path to the Jack would be nice thank you Hairy >_> Not just to my places but paths to Places of interest would be super cool.

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 09:30 AM
By: Tiber

Content:

Except then we'll have people making multiple accounts so they can have secret alts like they do now, just perpetuating the problem.

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 10:53 AM
By: Twosocks+Monkey

Content:

I know it's confirmed but Yes please.

-Rose

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 12:18 PM

Content:

Quote by: Tiber

Except then we'll have people making multiple accounts so they can have secret alts like they do now, just perpetuating the problem.

Unless people are doing sneaky things like changing their IP address to make their multiple accounts, the mods will be able to see and ban them in S3, when all of a player's characters fall under their one account. Right now, multiple characters from the same IP is not against the rules, so people can have secret alts as long as they like so long as the mods don't catch them being a dick about it.

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 12:23 PM

Content:

(...) maybe people could also pick an account handle that would be used in place of a character name for all of their OOC chat (...)

Now, while things are still in the design stage, is indeed the time to list off all the good reasons for alts that currently exist and make sure none of them are missed. As CMJ just said, one of the main goals of the new account structure is to make sure all the good reasons are much easier to do and fully legitimate within a single account, not just a half-assed workaround. This means that the only reasons left for making multiple accounts will be the bad ones, and we will be able to enforce a rule of one account per player.

I don't think this one will be a problem. In OOC chat you'd be speaking as yourself... Out Of Character. Unless the character listing publicly displayed the account handle, which is something that could happen but there's no technical reason it would have to happen -- it might easily be a checkbox preference -- all your characters would start out secret until you told people they were yours, just like now.

(The difference would be that if a player was abusing that secrecy to be dickish with one of their characters, it would also be very easy for there to be a mod override on the 'do/don't show my account handle' switch. Not something we'd invoke often, I'm sure, but having that there as an option we could resort to would probably stop that sort of dickishness from happening in the first place.)

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 03:08 PM

Content:

Now, while things are still in the design stage, is indeed the time to list off all the good reasons for alts that currently exist and make sure none of them are missed.

Hah! Just when you think that you've got them all, watch somebody come along with a really interesting, imaginative and non-dickish use for alts that hasn't previously been thought of. I think we may have to settle for as many as we can.

Here's a starter list.

Good Uses
To RP different characters.
To do different things with. (One a power character that you're trying to get as many high level DKs with (or whatever similar challenges that S3 sets.) - The other a builder say.)
The desire to start again so that you can see just what starting is like now that you've got a good feel of the game.

Bad Uses
To be a dick anonymously.
To act as a holder for One-shot teleports etc. (Depending on the exact mechanics of S2)

Any others that anybody can think of?

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 03:30 PM

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Welp. As stated, I love the idea. In banter really I'm just Rose, but I look like whatever character I'm in. Therefore I default to CLOG so people know who I am consistently. This isn't so much trouble now that I have considerably less time to Island, but really blew when I wanted to banter but was in another skin. The handle solution fixes this most handily.

Thing that I am not sure where it falls:
I've heard a number of complaints about secret alts and I can't say I disagree. It's kinda weird to think you're playing with a new person and realize after awhile it's the narrator you always knew but they were lying to you about their alt. Unfortunately, looks like this will still be possible. Not sure if this is 'fixable' or really just players being sorta ass-ish to each other and therefore falling under 'dick move' land.

I'm very open about my alts for a reason. I'm a writer. I write different characters. I LOVE being able to write different characters and the idea of being locked into one horrifies me. Yay characters. I can't always write CLOG, it'd drive me insane. I want to try out the joker and the villain and the quiet mutant and the off the wall zombie comedic character. That's just... SO GREAT.

People saying they're another narrator and not being one, sorta lame.

BUT! Personal freedoms and all that. I dunno. Not sure if code can fix something like that, just throwing it into the pool of things to talk about.

I think at the very least the 'handle' means (though this has been pointed it there may still be a work around for it) at least we vaguely know who we're being friendly with in banter. Big Grin

One thing that might be weird about this new system:
Distracts. If you're 'not telling someone' who you are as a handle, will we be able to send 'in character' distracts or will it always show our handle? Seems like an obvious reason for people to maintain their 'separate accounts for secrecy' if it's not character specific?

moo.

Me, I could care less. I don't hide nada! But I think this could come up as pretttttttty important for some people.

-Rose

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 03:45 PM

Content:

I reckon Distractions will work the same way as multiple email addresses in GMail. Have a drop-down "Reply from character" thingy, and an indicator of which character the Distraction was sent to.

We'll probably make characters public by default, with an option to hide them (and an accompanying "This player's hiding their characters" thing in bios).

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 05:19 PM
By: Daedalus

Content:

Hmm. I've only ever had one long-term alt. I have tried, I believe successfully, to ensure that I was never using it for dickish purposes.

But I have never told anyone it was my alt. Because I didn't want the alt's reception to be impacted by expectations, better or worse, brought about by readers knowing it was another creation of Daedalus' narrator . This is surely not an unfamiliar motivation for the use of a nom de plume, is it? In my case it was just wanting to experiment with writing in a very different 'voice' to the one I use for Daedalus, and to gauge reactions to that voice purely on its own merits. I suppose anyone that has interacted with both characters figured it out sooner or later anyway.

My point here is just that the use of anonymous (in particular) alts doesn't have to be only for dickish purposes.

D.

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 05:58 PM

Content:

Quote by: Daedalus

Hmm. I've only ever had one long-term alt. I have tried, I believe successfully, to ensure that I was never using it for dickish purposes.

But I have never told anyone it was my alt. Because I didn't want the alt's reception to be impacted by expectations, better or worse, brought about by readers knowing it was another creation of Daedalus' narrator . This is surely not an unfamiliar motivation for the use of a nom de plume, is it? In my case it was just wanting to experiment with writing in a very different 'voice' to the one I use for Daedalus, and to gauge reactions to that voice purely on its own merits. I suppose anyone that has interacted with both characters figured it out sooner or later anyway.

My point here is just that the use of anonymous (in particular) alts doesn't have to be only for dickish purposes.

D.

In my experience, it's really quite rare for a player to intentionally use anonymous alts to be dickish. Nearly everyone who stays anonymous does it for perfectly legitimate creative reasons similar to yours. So, while as mods we do have to deal with those few odd exceptions, that's our job, and we have plenty of resources to handle anyone who's breaking Rule One no matter how they're doing it. I certainly don't want to see people who make the choice to be anonymous labeled in such a way as to make it look like something nasty and suspicious must be going on.

It's a matter of wording, really. A bio is about the character, not the player. So rather than "This player is hiding their characters," just have a line in the bio saying "Narrator:" and leave the value blank if the player has unchecked the box.

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 06:00 PM

Content:

Quote by: Daedalus

D.

You are totally right D. I'm sorry if it came off that I meant it felt that way about ALL SECRET ALTS.

It can be awesome.

I've just seen it go south when narrators begin lying and it starts one of those circles of lies that get out of control.

I can think of at least one secret alt (who I happen to know who they are) who does it deliciously well and I'm glad they have the ability to do it!

Big Grin

I support secret alts! I just... I dunno what I think. I wrote a rambling post and I still feel rambling about it.

-moo

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 06:18 PM

Content:

Bad Uses
To be a dick anonymously.
To act as a holder for One-shot teleports etc. (Depending on the exact mechanics of S2)

Don't forget stalking people. This is still the internet, after all.

Posted on: August 30 2013 @ 06:28 PM

Content:

It's a matter of wording, really. A bio is about the character, not the player. So rather than "This player is hiding their characters," just have a line in the bio saying "Narrator:" and leave the value blank if the player has unchecked the box.

That's a cool idea. I would like this to apply to "Spouse," too, if possible. Have it always there in the bio, just blank if the character is unmarried or their spouse is secret.

Posted on: August 31 2013 @ 05:59 AM

Content:

(...) maybe people could also pick an account handle that would be used in place of a character name for all of their OOC chat (...)

I don't think this one will be a problem. In OOC chat you'd be speaking as yourself... Out Of Character.

Except what if someone trying to play an RP alt and not have it associated with their main account, for whatever personal, non-dickish reason, and they want to talk in Banter, about that specific RP alt or an RP that alt is in, as that alt's player, or someone who happens to be in that RP?

Maybe there should be an option to replace your Banter Handle with the name of the character you happen to be using?

Posted on: August 31 2013 @ 06:08 AM

Content:

That's a cool idea. I would like this to apply to "Spouse," too, if possible. Have it always there in the bio, just blank if the character is unmarried or their spouse is secret.

Or be awesome and use a black REDACTED bar.

Posted on: August 31 2013 @ 02:21 PM

Content:

I don't think this one will be a problem. In OOC chat you'd be speaking as yourself... Out Of Character.

Except what if someone trying to play an RP alt and not have it associated with their main account, for whatever personal, non-dickish reason, and they want to talk in Banter, about that specific RP alt or an RP that alt is in, as that alt's player, or someone who happens to be in that RP?

Maybe there should be an option to replace your Banter Handle with the name of the character you happen to be using?

Confused But wouldn't that negate the whole point of a banter handle? When you are out of character, you are you. Yourself. There's only one 'you' who can be speaking.

As for talking about your anonymous character in Banter... I want to say, well, that's part of the challenge of playing an anonymous character. People do it because they want a challenge, so there's no need to make it as easy as playing a character that's identified as theirs. One option would be to use specials. That's what they're for: saying something without having your name attached. They're not free -- but, after all, some things do have to cost supporter points or we don't have a game.

A consquence of separating accounts and characters into two separate levels like this is that we're just not going to be able to pretend to be a brand new different player all over again. Anonymous characters will be clearly identifiable as someone choosing to play anonymously.

This is, on the whole, a good thing. It also means we'll be able to have new characters as much as we like without having to pretend to be a new player! In the current game, a lot of people have tried coming in as a rookie to see what it's like, and that's all well and good on the character level, but they inevitably run into the awkward fact that to sustain the image of their alt as a real rookie, sooner or later they'll end up having to lie to other players about who the alt's real-life narrator is.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 04:30 PM
By: Skidge

Content:

A consquence of separating accounts and characters into two separate levels like this is that we're just not going to be able to pretend to be a brand new different player all over again. Anonymous characters will be clearly identifiable as someone choosing to play anonymously.

This is, on the whole, a good thing. It also means we'll be able to have new characters as much as we like without having to pretend to be a new player! In the current game, a lot of people have tried coming in as a rookie to see what it's like, and that's all well and good on the character level, but they inevitably run into the awkward fact that to sustain the image of their alt as a real rookie, sooner or later they'll end up having to lie to other players about who the alt's real-life narrator is.
[/p]

And that in turn leads to all sorts of issues

Example: I for one no longer bother going out of my way to talk to the rooks who strike me as being too good. They're someone I know, I assume, and go on to assume that if I ask them if they're an alt, they'll just lie about it.

And though I say 'I for one', I"m not the only one who feels that way.

I've now had...four? Five? incidents in which I have proudly gone on and on and on to people about how great this one newbie is, only to find out well after the fact (and in some cases after layers and LAYERS of deception, sometimes involving other people) that they were in fact someone tricking me ON PURPOSE or trying to experience life as a rook or whatever their reasons, it left me feeling like a chump, them feeling like jerks and the whole thing feeling rather heavier on drama than it ever needed to be.

And I don't push people on who their alts are; I ONLY CARE about whether or not characters are alts, I couldn't care less who's writing them.

So, yeah, not at all a fan of secret alts, way happier with the idea of anonymous (but obvious) alts. I don't see any non-dickhead reasons for wanting to remain secret, really. You want to figure out if people still like you outside of yourself, or see what it's like to be in someone else's skin? Awesome, anonymity allows for that. You want to see what life is as a rook, see if people are as awesome to rooks now as they were then?

I can answer that one for you; they're not. Because they are assuming any rook who can write is an alt. Get rid of that, and I, and likely others, will start going out of my way to be nice to rooks again.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 05:58 PM
By: LydiaDefountain

Content:

so the whole multy character thing... so would we be able to still handle two characters at the same time... like having one character off brooding in an outpost while another tries to see if they can change the chemical composition of the sidewalks to cotton candy...

Or people role playing a butler character as well as the home owner, or a plot specific bad guy character playing to mess with both their characters and the characters friends for a nice set of storylines...

you know things that need you to post with one.. then the other... but playing them both at the same time... sometimes even in the same place and room as the other... would that still be possible with the character switching?

I know things can be done with specials. and I do use them... but 100+ can be used in one scene with auxiliary characters sometimes.. or more... But I do also have characters that lead very different lives simultaneously and I like to have them both on and role playing at the same time...

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 06:35 PM

Content:

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

so the whole multy character thing... so would we be able to still handle two characters at the same time... like having one character off brooding in an outpost while another tries to see if they can change the chemical composition of the sidewalks to cotton candy...

Or people role playing a butler character as well as the home owner, or a plot specific bad guy character playing to mess with both their characters and the characters friends for a nice set of storylines...

you know things that need you to post with one.. then the other... but playing them both at the same time... sometimes even in the same place and room as the other... would that still be possible with the character switching?

I know things can be done with specials. and I do use them... but 100+ can be used in one scene with auxiliary characters sometimes.. or more... But I do also have characters that lead very different lives simultaneously and I like to have them both on and role playing at the same time...

Logged-in character information is saved as session data. So if you can already do it using different browsers or private browsing mode or whatever, then you'll still be able to do it in S3.

EDIT: Incidentally, why oh why am I slogging through the S3 items system rewrite on a Sunday. It's Sunday.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:04 PM

Content:

Logged-in character information is saved as session data. So if you can already do it using different browsers or private browsing mode or whatever, then you'll still be able to do it in S3.

EDIT: Incidentally, why oh why am I slogging through the S3 items system rewrite on a Sunday. It's Sunday.[/p]

Thank goodness, I just don't know what I'd do if I couldn't go off into my little corner and talk to myself, or have eight-to-nine-person dialogues with um. Just one other writer.

It is a sickness.

Sunday is best for sloggings, yesssssssss.

At least fifteen other people agree with me. But they are all me. So make of that what you will.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:06 PM

Content:

EDIT: Incidentally, why oh why am I slogging through the S3 items system rewrite on a Sunday. It's Sunday.[/p]

Thank goodness, I just don't know what I'd do if I couldn't go off into my little corner and talk to myself, or have eight-to-nine-person dialogues with um. Just one other writer.

It is a sickness.

Sunday is best for sloggings, yesssssssss.

At least fifteen other people agree with me. But they are all me. So make of that what you will.

ETA: Octologues? Noventalogues? Conversations.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:11 PM

Content:

EDIT: Incidentally, why oh why am I slogging through the S3 items system rewrite on a Sunday. It's Sunday.

Yay was worried that the main log in handle with sub characters thing idea might cause trouble with multiple logins and opening a few sessions to play out the borderline multiple personality syndrome some of us seem to have with our rp.

And I have no idea why you are working on that today... But then I'm in retail and monday and tuesday can be more more stable weekend as it were

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:19 PM

Content:

Maybe I'm slow, but does this mean we can have our alts in different places at the same time? For example, doing two scenes at once in two different places with other people? (Why would you torture yourself this way! But, I know people do it.)

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:24 PM

Content:

Maybe I'm slow, but does this mean we can have our alts in different places at the same time? For example, doing two scenes at once in two different places with other people? (Why would you torture yourself this way! But, I know people do it.)

Well we can do that now. You just have to use something with different session data, aka private browsing mode. dropping the www. for one tab and the other with it. Things like that.

With the main player account you log into with sub accounts for alts idea's The question was if it would still be possible... basically that you can log into the main account multiple times 'from various places' or however the computer interprets the different sessions way people currently run their alts.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:34 PM

Content:

Well we can do that now. You just have to use something with different session data, aka private browsing mode. dropping the www. for one tab and the other with it. Things like that.

With the main player account you log into with sub accounts for alts idea's The question was if it would still be possible... basically that you can log into the main account multiple times 'from various places' or however the computer interprets the different sessions way people currently run their alts.

I don't know what you're talking about, Trowa, Lydia. Nobody does that. Who would be that crazy? Wink

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:37 PM

Content:

Quote by: Skidge

I don't know what you're talking about, Trowa, Lydia. Nobody does that. Who would be that crazy? Wink

I have no idea.

Hides the multiple tabs she has going right now.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 08:39 PM

Content:

Well we can do that now.

Right, I know, I misworded my question in the present tense when I meant to put it in the future tense.

So, right now the impression I'm getting is: we'll have a drop-down menu for our alts to switch between them. Every time we switch, we go wherever that alt is - so instead of the alt following the main, the main follows the alt.

Which also begs the question if all our alts would be 'logged in' when the main is logged in? Or would their 'log in' state change when you switch alts? That is, assuming we'll still even have a log-in state indicator next to the screen names. In other words, could you tell when someone else is switching their characters on you when you're playing with them? "Oh, Spark went orange, but she's still in the room, she must be playing on another character." That kind of thing. Am I thinking about this too hard?

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 10:20 PM

Content:

Long habit embeds those LotGD preconceptions deep. I've struggled with imagining how it's going to be in the brave new world -- and I've found it's very helpful to stop using the words 'main' and 'alt'. Completely. There will be no mains. No alts.

Think in terms of 'me' (which is the account level) and 'my characters -- some of whom may be more important to me than others, sure, but they all have equal status as far as the game is concerned, they're all characters...' then it gets a bit clearer.

Or not. YMMV.

But it's worth a try!

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 10:46 PM

Content:

Think in terms of 'me' (which is the account level) and 'my characters

Excellent point, and I don't mean to carry this thread further away from the topic into an alt debate - we've had plenty of those before in this forum, some long before I joined. I'm purely interested in the mechanics of how this will work. I think I answered my own question in my last post: you follow your character. That just makes more sense than what I had thought of before of the character following you - which I don't know where I got that from, but maybe says a lot about my thought processes.

I'm just trying to understand what is going on when you switch characters. Will all your other characters be like puppets with their strings cut? Will there be an indicator that visually signifies "this character's narrator has moved elsewhere?"

People want to play multiple characters in multiple scenes at the same time, I get that, and my opinions on the matter are moot. But from what I understand in this thread so far, there will be one user interface that allows you to select which character you play with, one at a time. What I don't understand is how will logging into your one account from multiple browsers/tabs/privacy mode/whathaveyou come into this? Can that even be done? Did I misunderstand Lydia's question and CMJ's answer? Confused

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Content:

Long habit embeds those LotGD preconceptions deep. I've struggled with imagining how it's going to be in the brave new world -- and I've found it's very helpful to stop using the words 'main' and 'alt'. Completely. There will be no mains. No alts.

Think in terms of 'me' (which is the account level) and 'my characters -- some of whom may be more important to me than others, sure, but they all have equal status as far as the game is concerned, they're all characters...' then it gets a bit clearer.

Or not. YMMV.

But it's worth a try!

Question still valid, though! The game would have to have a different way of representing characters online than it has now. Like if I want to log on to Ada to poke about in the jungle, I would really prefer that I don't log in seven other people all at once. For one, it seems like a waste. But also it would mean that if you just wanted to poke about in the jungle on an alt no one knows about, you'd still show up on the List or whatever on all your characters, and people might start trying to chat with you. I personally wouldn't mind this, but I am sure some people would. What I'd mind more is that then people could just look at the online list and start to notice patterns. "Oh, when Spark logs on, Dodger is always online, so they must be...", etc.

Same for the writing of scenes - if you are tabbing between two characters, and the online indicators next to your comments work the same way, would it make it look like you left or logged out every time you tabbed? It already shows you as away if you flip between full-screen banter and full-screen story, which makes sense from a mechanical point of view (you're not in the same chat space anymore), but otherwise not so much (you're still there, after all).
If it works as it does now, with the coloured indicators, and it shows one character as away every time you switch to the other one, it would be very easy for people to work out whose characters are whose based on how the lights flash.

Edit: whoops well, Trowa beat me. (Sorry Trowa.) But I'll leave this as it was.

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Content:

This shows that the coloured chat indicators are going to have to be re-thought a bit... along with ten million other big and little factors!

Here's my own wild-assed guess* about them: "logged in" refers to an account, now, not a character, so it doesn't make sense to show that next to a character's posts -- although it would make sense to show it for posts in the OOC locations that would use your Banter Handle.

On the other hand, the "is-typing" indicator refers to a character, so that should still light up for the character who is actually typing.

The "is-here" indicator isn't particularly accurate even now, as Ada points out, so people can't have come to rely on it. I suspect it could very easily be discontinued, especially since the definition of "is here" will be getting more complicated. Not really worth the trouble.

--
* I'm just trying to reason it out from a system design point of view based on very incomplete data, so I could be entirely wrong. This same caveat applies to anything I have said or will say in this thread!

Posted on: September 01 2013 @ 11:50 PM

Content:

Think in terms of 'me' (which is the account level) and 'my characters

Excellent point, and I don't mean to carry this thread further away from the topic into an alt debate - we've had plenty of those before in this forum, some long before I joined. I'm purely interested in the mechanics of how this will work. I think I answered my own question in my last post: you follow your character. That just makes more sense than what I had thought of before of the character following you - which I don't know where I got that from, but maybe says a lot about my thought processes.

I'm just trying to understand what is going on when you switch characters. Will all your other characters be like puppets with their strings cut? Will there be an indicator that visually signifies "this character's narrator has moved elsewhere?"

People want to play multiple characters in multiple scenes at the same time, I get that, and my opinions on the matter are moot. But from what I understand in this thread so far, there will be one user interface that allows you to select which character you play with, one at a time. What I don't understand is how will logging into your one account from multiple browsers/tabs/privacy mode/whathaveyou come into this? Can that even be done? Did I misunderstand Lydia's question and CMJ's answer? Confused

That can actually already be done with the current character= account system. You can long onto the same account multiple times, but the first one to load a new page will override any other attempted page loads. But I digress.

I'm thinking logging in will send you to a sort of account hub page, with all your characters, SP and account preferences and such. You then select a character and go to wherever that character was last. Then, logging in on another tab/browser will just send you back to the account page, allowing you to choose another of your characters. And when logging off a character, it will send you back to the account screen, where you would have to log off again to log off completely. Maybe the switch-character tab will have a Full Log-off button as well. And a Log-off Character and Switch button. That would solve the status indicator problem. If you switch characters without logging them off, they're Somewhere Else, just like if they entered the Bank from an Outpost. Maybe set a lower time until forced log-out for them.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 12:08 AM

Content:

What I don't understand is how will logging into your one account from multiple browsers/tabs/privacy mode/whathaveyou come into this? Can that even be done? Did I misunderstand Lydia's question and CMJ's answer? Confused

As I understand it, the answer is No, multiple logins for different characters can't be done. There are too many technical issues. We're getting task switching, not multi-threading. But it'll be fast task switching, almost as fast as switching focus between two different tabs or windows on your computer.

CMJ is a technical wizard, so it is maybe possible that there might be later refinements to make this even nicer, such as, oh... for instance, getting an alert if something happens in another chat space where your other character is RPing, the one that doesn't currently have your attention... but even without that, I think it's going to be pretty slick right out of the box.

Characters won't be logged in or logged out, they'll just be in or out of focus in the browser window as their session array is swapped in and out. So, here's a question that just hit me: how will beds work? Maybe there'll also have to be an indicator for "awake / sleeping"! Which, I guess, would be kind of the equivalent of logging in and out, except there'd be no password involved.

EDIT: Oh... forced logout! (How I hate you! But you're one of those necessary evils...) I suspect only the account level is going to be subject to forced logouts. If a player isn't doing anything with any of their characters for however-long, then it's reasonable to log out the account to free up server resources. Otherwise, though, characters should just stay where you left them until you pick them up again.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 12:22 AM
By: Clueless

Content:

What I want is to create, within the core engine, a sort of "Gaiden Mode," wherein you can fight monsters, get loot, buy weapons and level up, but lacking any plot or storyline. So basically I'm trying to create LotGD within the S3 engine. That's my first goal.

Speaking of the "Gaiden Mode', could there be an exact opposite? I mean 100% no effect on game mechanic anything, a player can go into a mode where they can travel without any monster fights, but also without being able to see titans or crates, and they can't do anything in any outpost other than their original one. Other than go into a building for RP. No ability to see threat or the walls or eBoys prices or anything at all. Essentially coms tenting to the map and places while retaining banter.

The reason I ask is, of course, I am one of those guys, the ones who do nothing but Bastard ranks, and sometimes I want to go RP somewhere else, like in a place, and it's just so damn annoying if I end up on the boat one or four times just trying to get there thanks to travel monsters. I've spent several chronospheres getting to a place only 5 klicks away from where I've started before more times than I can remember, and it gets really old. Especially when on a phone.

Eugh.

This shows that the coloured chat indicators are going to have to be re-thought a bit... along with ten million other big and little factors!

Here's my own wild-assed guess* about them: "logged in" refers to an account, now, not a character, so it doesn't make sense to show that next to a character's posts -- although it would make sense to show it for posts in the OOC locations that would use your Banter Handle.

On the other hand, the "is-typing" indicator refers to a character, so that should still light up for the character who is actually typing.

The "is-here" indicator isn't particularly accurate even now, as Ada points out, so people can't have come to rely on it. I suspect it could very easily be discontinued, especially since the definition of "is here" will be getting more complicated. Not really worth the trouble.

I really really have to disagree with the discontinuing of the "is-here" completely. There are times when people log in, to a place or maybe an outpost, and don't post a single thing in story or banter. The list and indicator are the only way to tell that they are there, but if someone else starts posting they'll hop right in. The opposite is also true, where people will have been posting in story and then just vanish without saying a single damn thing. Not vanish as in lost connection or got dragged away, they'll just navigate away from an in progress scene without so much as a single hint that they're not going to be replying to subsequent posts. Horrible RP practice, I've waited through giving time for replies and one never coming countless times. The status indicator, while wonky, is generally very accurate, and is my primary indication that I've just been stood up by someone with zero courtesy vice something having happened that rendered their narrator unable to give me notification.

Notification of a character being active, and not just the account, is an awesome feature that I'd hate to see get chopped. As far as online/on another character, I'd keep it essentially how it is now. If a player isn't using that character, they should show as offline. Even if the player is swapping in. Though the option for another color, optionally set by the player, would be nice for online-but-'inactive'.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 02:10 AM
By: Escemfer

Content:

Re: status indicators;

(Disclaimer: this is kind of a vague idea i'm trying to put into words, may not be comprehensible.)
How about changing the meaning from "here right now" to "present"? I think that an indicator for "here" seems to imply that someone is paying active attention to the chatspace, and "somewhere else" suggests that they've left the room to do something else. This is the root of the switching-between-alts problem: if you appear as "somewhere else" other players can conclude that you are a secret alt, dear god (as well as the problem of being logged onto all of your characters at once, and showing up as online everywhere). I suggest changing the character-specific indicators to a system of "present" (which does not necessarily imply active attention, only a physical presence), "typing," "AFK," and "inactive." Instead of having characters switch to "somewhere else" when you change characters, they'll stay set to "present" for a limited time (maybe something like ten minutes?), and then time out to "inactive". They'll also remain "inactive" as long as they're a) not in a particular chatspace, or b) haven't been actively used. So your characters will not all go green or orange as soon as you log in; they'll remain grey until you actually start doing things with them.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 03:39 AM

Content:

Oh holy shit I go away and come back and everyone is talking about what's not going to happen.

Look. Anything you can do, logging-in-multiple-characters-wise, right now, you'll still be able to do in S3.

When you come to the site, you'll enter your email and your password, and then you'll be taken immediately to a list of all your characters. You click on a character, and resume playing from wherever that character left off - just like we do now. When you want to play a different character, you'll click "Change Character," and that takes you back to the list of all your characters.

The only difference will be that you'll have an account, and inside that account you'll have characters - instead of having an account per character. One email address, one password, multiple characters.

Different characters in different places at the same time - you can do that already, so yes.
No, there's no technical distinction between alts and mains here in S2, nor will there be in S3. The game doesn't know or care which character you consider your "main."
No, we're not going to have an indicator that says "This character's narrator has moved elsewhere." There's no reason to do that. A character will be online, offline, away, the same way we do it now.
I don't even know where you guys are getting the "All of my characters will show as logged in when I select a single one of them to play" thing. No. Why would. I don't even. What.
Online/offline/away indicators all show the status of the character. If I'm logged into CavemanJoe on Chromium and TotallyNotCavemanJoeYouGuys on Firefox, then both of those characters are logged in, regardless of which one I happen to be looking at at any given second. If I log out of TotallyNotCavemanJoeYouGuys in Firefox, then TotallyNotCavemanJoeYouGuys logs out and his indicator turns red.

Clueless: Gaiden Mode means nothing to you guys, it's a technical milestone only. It's my "Playing about to see if the combat system is fun all the way to the end and if the backend systems can adequately express what I want them to do" experiment. Like when developers finish a model of a new game character, they make them do a silly little dance just to make sure the animation system works okay, before they start work on the actual game.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 03:44 AM

Content:

Online/offline/away indicators all show the status of the character. If I'm logged into CavemanJoe on Chromium and TotallyNotCavemanJoeYouGuys on Firefox, then both of those characters are logged in, regardless of which one I happen to be looking at at any given second. If I log out of TotallyNotCavemanJoeYouGuys in Firefox, then TotallyNotCavemanJoeYouGuys logs out and his indicator turns red.

That's what I don't get, though. If we only get one account, are you saying we'll be able to log into that same account from multiple browsers so we can play on multiple characters?

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 04:00 AM

Content:

That's what I don't get, though. If we only get one account, are you saying we'll be able to log into that same account from multiple browsers so we can play on multiple characters?

Yes.

Yes, yes, yes. Yes. Yes.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 04:25 AM

Content:

Yes.

Yes, yes, yes. Yes. Yes.

THANK YOU, SIR. I'm starting to get a clearer picture of how this will work.

Earlier in this thread we batted around the idea that the handle from your account is what will appear in the OOC Channel. Will this actually happen, or will it be your character you've logged in to? From your recent statements I'm starting to think it'll be the latter. Also from this:

Yes, that WOULD be neat.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 05:19 AM

Content:

Yes.

Yes, yes, yes. Yes. Yes.

Wahoo!

The other thing is totally icing anyway.

And I definitely like that indicator plan.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 07:29 AM

Content:

Well, from what I remember back in May, there was discussion that every action would be worth experience, not just fighting. So, you could level up just by building, or reinforcing the defenses, or even cooking.

Confirmed. Actually one of the ideas I'm most fond of. Smile Don't like combat? Don't do combat. Woo. Smile

Wow, how did we all gloss over this? If you don't have to fight monsters to level up, what will happen to Drive fights? If you leveled up mainly by cooking, will you have to challenge the Drive to an Iron Chef-style cook-off, where you have to concoct a three-course meal to defeat the Drive's asparagus straws, chicken fettuccine and baked alaska? Insult will trigger an epic Yo Mama fight? Traveling = triathlon with cycling replaced with Budget Horse racing? Will the Drive even be the final boss?

Speaking of insults, will they be getting expanded or remain an addition to combat? Having insult matches between characters to become a Master Dis Meister would be awesome.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 03:49 PM

Content:

If you leveled up mainly by cooking, will you have to challenge the Drive to an Iron Chef-style cook-off, where you have to concoct a three-course meal to defeat the Drive's asparagus straws, chicken fettuccine and baked alaska? Insult will trigger an epic Yo Mama fight?

Or you can just combine these and fight Gordon Ramsay.

Posted on: September 02 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Content:

If you leveled up mainly by cooking, will you have to challenge the Drive to an Iron Chef-style cook-off, where you have to concoct a three-course meal to defeat the Drive's asparagus straws, chicken fettuccine and baked alaska? Insult will trigger an epic Yo Mama fight?

Or you can just combine these and fight Gordon Ramsay.

Will there even be a drive killing mechanic?

Posted on: September 03 2013 @ 01:42 AM

Content:

Umm....

**Hopefully glances around**

Trains?

Posted on: September 03 2013 @ 01:48 AM

Content:

Even better? Planes!

Hell, maybe even with parachutes this time! Big Grin

Posted on: September 03 2013 @ 03:54 AM

Content:

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Umm....

Trains?

Trains are Sessine's baby, so we'd probably have to at least have a mostly-functioning beta of S3 before that even gets thought about.

Posted on: September 05 2013 @ 03:45 AM

Content:

Umm....

Trains?

*peeps.*

Trains!

Posted on: September 07 2013 @ 12:04 AM

Content:

Just seen this. So...which races might go? Well surely humans are going to get kept, the race that you start out as. And if kittymorphs or wizards jokers went then there'd be rioting in the streets. They're by far the most RPed races.

Robots? They're not RPed so much, but then there's Rohit, and all that story telling (both existant and potential) which it would be a shame to lose.

Zombies and mutants, as Trowa mentioned. Like robots, they're occasionally RPed (quite well) but not much. They're races that people try out. Mutants, I believe have potential to become a really interesting part of the Island. But they really haven't fulfilled that potential. Maniak's done a good mutant. I had a go but it didn't really go very far. I may go back to it at some point, but I'm not currently inspired. Zombies don't have much going for them at all. Some people have done good things with them in passing, but not for too long. Never as a permanent character. And they were always the sort of really creative RPer who I suspect could take anything and do something fun and interesting with it.

That leaves, *gulp* midgets. RPed to some extent, but nowhere near as much as kittymorphs/jokers.
NNNOOOOOO!!!!! I LOVE MY LITTLE MIDGETS! DON'T TAKE AWAY MY MIDGETS!!!
*breaks down in tears*

Ahem. No. I'm sure that I'd get used to it. Just fear of change and all that. But still.

Posted on: September 07 2013 @ 12:51 AM

Content:

Robots? They're not RPed so much, but then there's Rohit, and all that story telling (both existant and potential) which it would be a shame to lose.

Don't forget we did a huge contest to help CMJ develop the Robot story arcs with the Random Hearts!

...did anyone ever win the bonus?

That leaves, *gulp* midgets. RPed to some extent, but nowhere near as much as kittymorphs/jokers.
*breaks down in tears*

I want to say I recall CMJ insisting he would keep the Midgets, and that zombies and mutants had simply become played-out jokes.

If not, then I throw my hat in for keeping the Midgets, too! I may not be able to play one very well, but I love reading them!

Posted on: September 07 2013 @ 12:59 AM

Content:

Midgets, mutants, kittymorphs, and maybe even zombies could all be believably rolled into a 'morphic' race. Human, Joker, Robot, and Morphic sounds like a pretty good list to me.

Contest aside even, I think robots are way too huge a part of Island canon to just axe. Jokers to a slightly lesser extent, and humans are humans. Everything else can just be a Male Etc race.

Posted on: September 07 2013 @ 01:57 AM

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary[

*breaks down in tears*

Ahem. No. I'm sure that I'd get used to it. Just fear of change and all that. But still.

[/p]

I SWEAR I'D ACTUALLY CRY IF I COULDN'T PLAY A MIDGET YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

Also I think Mutants would be RPed more if the race had better bonuses, can we mention that? I've just developed a character who I want to be a mutant, Mutants have a ton of potential, since they're not very strictly defined, and they've also got the chance to be funny! But their combat bonuses are pretty sub-par, I don't remember unlocking mutant and thinking "this is so cool!" the first time I did it.

Zombies, unfortunately... Just not a thing people wanna do any more. DoC is, of course, an incredible Zombie, but I cannot really name more than five people who RP zombie frequently or well.

Posted on: September 07 2013 @ 02:40 AM

Content:

Don't forget we did a huge contest to help CMJ develop the Robot story arcs with the Random Hearts!

...did anyone ever win the bonus?

*breaks down in tears*

I want to say I recall CMJ insisting he would keep the Midgets, and that zombies and mutants had simply become played-out jokes.

If not, then I throw my hat in for keeping the Midgets, too! I may not be able to play one very well, but I love reading them!

Mutants moreso because they would be almost impossible to accurately depict in the game. They're supposed to all be different from each other, so making stat benefits and debuffs for all of them doesn't work very well. And scrapping Zombies makes sense; they're the least defined race.

Posted on: September 10 2013 @ 06:31 AM

Content:

Working on the Inventory system now.

Weapons and armour will be part of the item system, and you'll be able to equip items to body parts. Here's the question: how much do you like doing the bandolier-backpack shuffle? 'cause we can fix things so that you can pull things out of your backpack mid-fight, at the expense of losing a round or two of attack opportunities.

Posted on: September 10 2013 @ 03:21 PM

Content:

Weapons and armour will be part of the item system, and you'll be able to equip items to body parts. Here's the question: how much do you like doing the bandolier-backpack shuffle? 'cause we can fix things so that you can pull things out of your backpack mid-fight, at the expense of losing a round or two of attack opportunities.

Would that include using medkits mid-fight? Big Grin Portable drinks? (Midget Rage in a bottle!) Because that would be awesome!

If there's any plans for introducing status effects in battle, like poisoning or dizziness, then I can see even more potential for carrying things around in the backpack to use during battle. Maybe even use herbs towards brewing your own antidotes for different 'cures.' ("I gots the crotchrot from the Drunken Nudist! Quick, rub some of that there Scroteweed on there! ...damn, that just made it worse.")

Posted on: September 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
By: Harris

Content:

Would the bandolier (or an equivalent) still be accessible during fights at no penalty? 'cos that sounds swell, but not if we lose that...

Posted on: September 14 2013 @ 03:07 PM

Content:

Oh oh! Heeere's a question that has nothing to do with gameplay mechanics, but will The Watcher's Failboat get an upgrade?

I feel like all she has is a small yacht. And maybe that's enough for her and the caged monsters on board, but I always felt like she ought to have something massive and much more impressive, like a whole cargo tanker! And all the cages are really retrofit shipping containers, and all The Network equipment has lots of room and places to hide and big broadcast antennas and tons and tons of interns and editors and producers and script editors and narrators and basically everything a network a would need to run a massive television show from one spot.

...which would kind of stink if the monsters got loose. Huh. I mean, we always just assume The Watcher could handle anything like a Fail Breach! since she can bail you out of a cage fight, but nobody else is supposed to know about her strength!

Oh-kay, I guess I'm just asking for more depth to something silly. Big Grin Pretty please?

Posted on: September 14 2013 @ 08:50 PM

Content:

I've always treated the failboat as something the size of an average sized commercial fishing vessel, or very small cargo ship. Modern tankers are just crazy big. For example a handymax subset of the handysize cargo ship series is typically 150-200 meters long. For Americans, think about 1.5-2 football fields long. For the rest of the world.. Well think up your own example, sorry! Anyway, those aren't even the longest! They're in middling size. And massive.

So, yeah, not a yacht please! A nice big deck to play around on!

Posted on: September 20 2013 @ 11:39 AM

Content:

Mutants would be almost impossible to accurately depict in the game. They're supposed to all be different from each other, so making stat benefits and debuffs for all of them doesn't work very well. And scrapping Zombies makes sense; they're the least defined race.

Almost, but not quite. What you could have is a whole range of mutations to pick from which have different effects. Webbed hands/feet - make water travel take much less stamina. Extra legs similar for land based. Extra arms give some sort of combat bonus. Distended stomach means that you can eat more food in a single sitting. Kangeroo pouch acts as an extra bandoleer. Extra eyes means monster hunting takes less stamina and you're less likely to be surprised. And so on. I'm sure that we could come up with loads if we went for it.

Each of these comes with a point cost and you can have up to ten points of mutations say. Some mutations might be liabilities and come with a negative point cost. Open sores means you lose 5% of your hp whenever you walk in the swamp.

Each mutation you pick gives you a -10% on your effective charm - making higher charm more useful.

Or maybe you could go for the random selection option, which may have one or two extra mutations that might crop up as a sweetener.

I could see that being fun. Game players could carefully selecting the right combination for their play style. It could also give something for RPers to riff off.

Having said that, it sounds like it would be a lot of work to balance properly (and maybe to code for all I know) CMJs in the middle of a huge project already, so this is even less likely to happen than my other "clever ideas".

Posted on: September 23 2013 @ 07:12 AM

Content:

Ok, so I heard a thing that places will be directly ported to S3. This is not a thing I had heard before. What I had heard was that S2 will remain open, for people who prefer it and for 'copy'ing places to S3, for awhile at least.

What is the plan as of now? Please and thank you!

Edit:

Also, maybe answers to big ticket questions like the above should be edited into the first post? That would be so much easier to reference than digging through all the pages that this thread will be. I expect it to reach at least a hundred pages by the time S3 rolls around!

Posted on: September 29 2013 @ 06:45 PM

Content:

We can already use SP to build Places, though I'm not sure if you still need to have the necessary materials. I think we just need a bulk option for that. Build five rooms for 500, 1000, 5000 SP or whathaveyou.

Posted on: September 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM

Content:

We can already use SP to build Places, though I'm not sure if you still need to have the necessary materials. I think we just need a bulk option for that. Build five rooms for 500, 1000, 5000 SP or whathaveyou.

I didn't explain myself well. I meant use SP to buy the whole thing. Kapow! It's back! All of it.

Yes you can build rooms for SP, and even decorate. True. But even if you can remember what went where and you have copies of all the descriptions, then for some of the bigger Places, that's still a pain in the arse. And that's before you take programming into account, which can be a huge headache.

I know that I won't rebuild my place (Puzzle Land, NNE of Ace High*) from scratch, but I would pay SP for it to just magically reappear. I payed enough (in terms of Builders brews and programming kits and bits and bobs etc.) in the first place.

Also, it has been pointed out to me that we did not get all our Places back at the beginning of S2, or in a sense I suppose we did, but only because there weren't any to get back. I was thinking of when Places took over from the previous Dwellings as they had been before.

The point remains though, that IF we get all our SP back, then there will be a huge amount sloshing around, and I think that this would be a good thing to spend it on.

----

*See how I slipped in a crafty plug there?

Posted on: September 29 2013 @ 10:58 PM
By: Sneaky

Content:

Please end the Rank system.

Posted on: September 30 2013 @ 12:53 AM

Content:

Quote by: Sneaky

Please end the Rank system.

If there are multiple ways to "drive kill" to go along with the multiple ways to level up, I think it'd make sense to scrap it. But I'd like to have some sort of Hard Mode.

Posted on: September 30 2013 @ 04:02 AM

Content:

Oh! I remembered something else now from May: infinitely adjustable difficulty instead of Ranks anymore.

Still unconfirmed in this thread, but that was part of CMJ's pitch back in Spring.

Posted on: September 30 2013 @ 05:09 PM

Content:

IF we get all our SP back, then there will be a huge amount sloshing around....

This is something worth talking about. In the transition from Season One to Season Two. we did get back all of our SP ever, unspent and ready to spend all over again. There are reasons this might not be such a good idea this time around. HM has put his finger on the main one.

The Pilot was only a few months. S1 lasted one year and was, as I remember it, just barely managing to pay its rock-bottom server costs. S2 seems to have been doing better than that. We've got a good server, the game manages to advertise (most of the time), and CMJ still runs into financial emergencies but he's not generally having to worry about his next meal.

S2 has been running now for four years and change -- and S3 is still officially another year away until further notice. We're talking more than five years' worth of donations that would all be thrown back into the system at once. That's going to be hugely imbalancing. It will also, probably, mean a big drop in donations until those points have been used up, because people donate for two reasons -- to keep the Island going, and to acquire shinies. If one of those reasons drops away... yeah. Could be bad enough to be an Island-killer. Nobody wants that.

So what to do?

1. CMJ could do the same as he did the last time, give us all back everything, but then think up some REALLY BIG NEW SP SPONGES to soak up all those extra SPs. HM's suggestion above is an example of that.

Fly in that ointment is that we have all been trying to think up SP sponges for years. We've come up with some, CMJ has devised more, but there's always the limiting factor that while he needs donations to survive, he doesn't want the Island to turn into a crass pay-to-win money-grab like some other games out there. He's been there, flat broke, he knows what it's like. Anything that costs a lot of SP really has to give some sort of big payback, tangible or not, or people won't buy it -- and if it's too big, someone's going to say, "Hey, wait, no fair charging for that," and he'll go, "Oh. Yeah. Right then, I'll just make it cost you gameplay time instead." Which shows that he is an awesome person, but then, there goes another way to use up SPs.

But, okay. Assume a stellar-mass spherical cow with zero radius... er, that is, a sink for SPs that is simultaneously fair to players who didn't have the money to contribute, valuable enough that players who have been contributing would really want to buy it, and big enough that it could soak up the donations made over a period of five years and counting, many of which were originally spent on consumables. If such a thing were to exist and could be written, it would then be... well, actually, I suppose if it stayed in the game it would either be horribly unbalancing -- or it would make CMJ rich! I'm still not holding my breath for it to materialize.

2. CMJ could preserve the SP status quo. He could drop all S2 characters into S3 with their SP spent and unspent totals staying exactly where they were at the end of S2. "But," someone's going to say, "what about all the permanent Lodge items people have spent their points on... shouldn't those be transferred, too?" Well, no. It's a reset. We're starting over. Most of those items wouldn't work in the new system anyway. He's already said he's re-writing the Items table so that we can have weapons and armour as items that can be equipped to body parts, and other very cool stuff, but that means there are serious structural changes. Not to mention big conceptual changes, so the current Race Changer, for instance, may not even mean anything any more.

There's a very small number, perhaps, of Lodge items that need to be converted over. The only one I can think of at the moment is the HyperRing, because that's a promise that was made to people who might not be here at the time of change-over but who cared enough about the game to pay real money to ensure they could come back later. Mn... well, and then there's programming items, whether acquired with SP or not... Places Programming is a whole big can o' worms. I'm going to cop out and say it's beyond the scope of this post because I don't have a clue what can or should be done there.

3. Some intermediate compromise. Perhaps you'd get to spend again the SPs you'd acquired in the last six months or a year?

4. Or, I suppose, it could be a complete reset. A new game, different enough that everyone just starts over again, equal, with zero SPs. You'd be able to get the 500 points over again for reconnecting to World Community Grid. There'd be other ways to contribute for points, with creativity, without having to spend money.

We can talk about this. We should talk about this. It's an issue. I'm sure some of you will be able to suggest other possible solutions. But CMJ should not tell us which of the above he's going to do, or if he's going to pick up some other idea suggested here, or if he's figured out something completely different and awesome that none of us have thought of, until S3 changeover is IMMINENT. (Reminder: right now it is not. It's a whole year away. Word of God.)

By 'imminent' I mean, less than a month away. Maybe only a couple of weeks. Enough time for people to get in some last-minute S2 donations if that'll be a good move, or hold off until S3, if they'd rather, but not so long that CMJ's income dries up!

Posted on: September 30 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Content:

IF we get all our SP back, then there will be a huge amount sloshing around....

This is something worth talking about.

It is worth talking about.

Something to keep in mind is that previously spent SP points have already gone to things like CMJ's rent and food and evil puppies or-what-have-you and he doesn't get the benefit of resetting his bank account when he resets the Island.

Mostly I'm just throwing this out there in anticipation of belly wails about 'BUT NO MY PRECIOUS SP POINTS!!!!!'

Cause yeah, it'd be nice to have some again, etc, to reset our characters, things we love... but CMJ still has bills, and bottom line, SP barely helps with those now amiright?

So... maybe just a cautionary moo. Don't forget about that when you pitch ideas and stuff. This feels like one of those threads that could get firey quickly.

(Yes I know most of us are aware of it, just throwing it into the pot formally).

-moo loves

Posted on: October 01 2013 @ 12:30 AM

Content:

Are you taking suggestions for core combat mechanics?

Posted on: October 01 2013 @ 01:47 AM
By: Tor+NaGoth

Content:

There's a very small number, perhaps, of Lodge items that need to be converted over. The only one I can think of at the moment is the HyperRing, because that's a promise that was made to people who might not be here at the time of change-over but who cared enough about the game to pay real money to ensure they could come back later. Mn... well, and then there's programming items, whether acquired with SP or not... Places Programming is a whole big can o' worms. I'm going to cop out and say it's beyond the scope of this post because I don't have a clue what can or should be done there.
. He's already said he's re-writing the Items table so that we can have weapons and armour as items that can be equipped to body parts, and other very cool stuff, but that means there are serious structural changes. Not to mention big conceptual changes, so the current Race Changer, for instance, may not even mean anything any more.

3. Some intermediate compromise. Perhaps you'd get to spend again the SPs you'd acquired in the last six months or a year?

As one of the older players who isn't as active anymore, I definitely have to agree about the hyper-rings. Permanent means PERMANENT, or at least it should.

I'm not sure what sort of dwellings or places system Dan has in mind for season three, but I do know that I personally found the loss of time involved in the loss of dwelling a bit daunting when Season 2 started, and then again when Dan reset the dwellings. It would be nice to get some sort of compensation for the loss of that investment. It would be really nice to have some sort of restoration option, even if it did cost some reasonable number of supporter points to activate it.

Posted on: October 01 2013 @ 03:15 AM

Content:

Quote by: Sneaky

Are you taking suggestions for core combat mechanics?

Not until I manage an alpha release.

Posted on: October 01 2013 @ 05:09 AM

Content:

Right now I'm working on a generic shop file.

HOORAY FOR YOU:
Being able to sell things from your backpack and bandolier, and being able to buy a grenade and then have the option to immediately move it to your bandolier in one click!
Being able to buy and sell more than one item at a time!

HOORAY FOR ME:
One common file for shops, with its description text and items for sale changeable via module! This will mean MORE AND DIFFERENT SHOPS.
One single loop through the inventory, for reduced server load!

Woooo!

Posted on: October 01 2013 @ 08:32 AM
By: dizzyizzy

Content:

This is veering wildly into extortion, but I'd be willing to pay $100-$150 to recover my SP. I'd imagine people with means who have donated more/ran WCG for more than a week would be willing to chip in more - some of us have stupid amounts of SP and have been salivating at the thought of being able to make 40,000 dildo mementos.

I do agree with Sessine that we shouldn't know CMJ's decision until right before it's relevant.. There's plenty of other stuff for us to bicker about until then, don't need something that's going to be as passionate as that will be.

Posted on: October 01 2013 @ 09:43 PM

Content:

HOORAY FOR ME:
One common file for shops, with its description text and items for sale changeable via module! This will mean MORE AND DIFFERENT SHOPS.

I see much potential with this! Different weapons available in different areas! Lightning Guns could be exclusive to the Robot domain! Elephant Guns sold only by Jokers! Wooo!

Actually, on an entirely unrelated note, if I could ask a small favor for those of us who might be playing this highly addictive game on their lunch breaks at work (*coughcough*), would it be possible to not include the entire name of Pleasantville in any URL? My proxy at work currently blocks Mutated Munchies because of the 'tv' in Pleasantville. Along the same vein, there's also "player" and "watcher" in some URLs that are also blocked, such as the Gifting Station and certain story bits. Frown

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 02:54 AM

Content:

There's too much stuff for me to quote so I'm just gonna say stuff and assume everyone's got context since it's this far:

I think that, at the start of the new season, we should get back any unspent SP we've got at the end of s2, only because it's money we've already given (or won, in my case) that we've not spent and it'd be right awful to just lose it because we were too slow to splurge with it. He's got the money, there's no reason why we should lose the benifit of it if we've not spent it. Spent, though? Well, that's spent, isn't it?

Big SP dumps for the new season? Well... If I have to re-build Port Foley from scratch I don't think I'd bother. I've spent well over a year writing and building and putting so much effort into that place and if it just disappeared and required me to re-build it I'd not. In fact, I'd probably give up entirely. I know that sounds extreme but that's a rage-quit worthy moment, really. Now, if I popped a few bucks (I've noticed 30 bucks seems to be the highest Lodge item) to get my Place back 100% as is with all the fiddly little pages and programs and cncs and every item that was in it (perhaps more than 30 bucks for this) I'd absolutely do that. Gladly. I'd do it for The Jackalope, too. I'd gladly spend money, as Hair said, to get my place back instantly. Because I worked way too hard on that to start from scratch. I'm sure Dirk would feel similarly for his giant places. Really, I think most Place-owners would love to not have to re-build, but if they don't wanna pay the option to re-build without having to re-write would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

This is obviously moot if we just get our places from the gate (which would be preferred) but that's a good suggestion for getting people to huck over cash in the new season.

but seriously I'd likely give up on the game entirely if I lost this Place of mine. It's a huge part of my enjoyment. It's a huge part of my investment of time and money, and it'd be crushing to lose it and have to start over.

Also yay shops and unique items and such. Very very cool.

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 04:02 PM

Content:

Even at this early stage, two things I can promise:
1. Your Places will be carried over.
2. Unspent SP is unspent SP. That'll be carried over too. I'd also like to give you back at least some of the SP you've spent, and as many lodge items as will still make sense in S3. Right now I'm thinking, well, we gave back all the SP that was accumulated in the year between S2 and S3 - I'm considering a year's worth or 25% of spent SP, whichever is greater. That may well change, and as Sessine said, it's not really worth considering until we're much closer to release date. Either way, now is still a good time to be donating, since you'll be able to spend your SP more than once. Smile

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 08:50 PM
By: Temper

Content:

I know CMJ JUST PROMISED Places would carry over, but honestly? I'd much rather see them go. Go the way of the Stocks, and Trains, and the Statue in Improbable Central. Places are awesome and all, and creative, but honestly? They ruin the setting of the Island for me like little else can. Wandering around this "battleground" filled with "dangerous monsters" is just kind of blown out of the water by the two castles, the theme park, and the mansion I see every time I take a step. It's an oversaturation of Places, I think, that's problematic.

Of course, I know this'll never happen, but I want to get it out, so.

I'd rather see Places work like Monster Suggestions. Have them be subject to approval by higher-ups. Cuts down on the sheer number and arguable world-breakery set by the scenery that exists right now. I know it's an unpopular stance. But honestly? I never write in 95% of the Places because they are A) empty, and Cool make little to no sense in the context of an Island that is a warzone. And before anyone goes, "But Improbability!" I say that is a weak reasoning for why your magical floating dolphin house hasn't been turned into a Magpie roost or a squalid Midget Opium Den.

Another thing that would be even LESS popular is to chuck Places altogether, and just have mod/CMJ made places existing outside of outposts. I agree that on the Island, despite EVERYTHING (or perhaps because of it), little areas are going to crop up. Small, half-overgrown cottages, or compounds set up by unhappy contestants. I can believe those, and I'd personally visit AND write in them.

Because Writing Things is what my view is concerned with. Today's Places are about creativity and writing, but almost all of them never get written in.

Again, Places just got promised to carry over. This is just me going, "Oh, okay. I'd like to see this happen sometime maybe though too."

... It's okay to disagree, right?

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 09:19 PM

Content:

Woohooo!

What about 'abandoned' places? There are more than a few that are nice and out there and deserve to stay because they are nice even if unused, but then there are also many places which are no more than a room or two, their owners having long since ceased coming around. More than a few of these places inhabit outpost squares or are directly adjacent to outposts.

Edit:

Oh my, a Temper post! I must say more

Temper, I must agree with you significantly when it comes to how ridiculous it seems that there are so many perfectly peaceful and idyllic places to hide out in the jungle. It doesn't make much sense at all, and very few places seem to have much of a mind for security. What happens when a Panthzer comes knocking?

On the other hand we do not want to stifle creativity, and I love many of the places I have had the joy of visiting, helping review or create. I think it is more up to the players to decide what makes sense, however. If all of the places and every tiny change to every place has to be mod approved, we would need a Mod who specifically was dedicated to that task, for the workload would be immense. Not even considering the backlog of what has already been created. (I'd totally volunteer, by the way.)

I'd be ecstatic if monsters could attack places, if they had to be defended like Outposts, though to a smaller scale, and likely a scale proportional to how large or active the place is. I'd be more than happy to go around slaughtering monsters, storying parts of the appropriate and cannon-kosher bloodbaths, and of course be able to add another feather into my hat. Oh, and before anyone freaks about their hard work being destroyed by monsters- I'd propose it'd be like threat levels. A few degrees of nothing wrong with the place. Then you can't sleep there, then you can't use pages, then you just can't get in without fighting. With the monsters gone everything is back to normal.

Because I need more of those. Ask anyone.

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 09:24 PM
By: Rykar

Content:

Quote by: Temper

I know CMJ JUST PROMISED Places would carry over, but honestly? I'd much rather see them go. Go the way of the Stocks, and Trains, and the Statue in Improbable Central. Places are awesome and all, and creative, but honestly? They ruin the setting of the Island for me like little else can. Wandering around this "battleground" filled with "dangerous monsters" is just kind of blown out of the water by the two castles, the theme park, and the mansion I see every time I take a step. It's an oversaturation of Places, I think, that's problematic.

Because Writing Things is what my view is concerned with. Today's Places are about creativity and writing, but almost all of them never get written in.

I would second that, but not quite. I would actually call places both problematic and necessary. Speaking as someone who's built the hell out of his house (by a very outdated standard, I assume), it is absolutely lovely to have my own little slice of the island.

I also see them as a problem for the writing community. RP and Story and community depend on awesome people being there to play with other awesome people, and meeting new people and creating more awesome in the process. (Or fun, or wacky, or intriguing, or... you get it.) But places seem like they interfere with that, a little bit. The first part is the tendency for people to hole up in their places- I'm guilty of this myself. It varies from person to person, but having awesome people all doing their own thing in their own Places doesn't create nearly as much collaborative awesome. It can be much easier to story with characters you know and like, rather than meeting new characters or new players.

And, while there is the need for privacy in some scenes, whether it be conspiratorial, dramatic, or even erotic, perhaps that could be provided by, say... tents? A sort of temporary place, a consumable item?

Of course, all of this depends on the mood and setting of S3. Maybe it's not a battlefield anymore, so much as an island of wackiness! Or maybe not.

Another approach might also be to move places from scattered about the island to being contained within outposts. Sort of a residential district, if you will.
(Anyone else remember the giganto-bank of vending machines?)
Would make it easier to transition between Outpost-hectic-and-collaborative to more personal scenes, and back again, and make it easier for folks like me to avoid getting holed up forever.

It also might help the more oddball dwellings 'fit' better. It seems much more sensible to have built a mansion behind the walls of an outpost...

Edit:
Clue, that gives me an idea. Approving places to exist would be monumental, but what about letting all places exist in outposts, but having players select or vote or something on what places should exist on the world map, perhaps with mods giving the final approval? Everyone gets their own house, if they want, on 123 improbable lane, and the best of the best become landmarks across the landscape?

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 09:35 PM
By: Temper

Content:

Holy balls yes. A residential district for Improbable Central? Then Soup'N'Pants could finally actually be reached inside Improbable Central! I wasn't even thinking of expanding outposts- I don't think that's a bad idea.

As for moderator review for Places, I think it might be more feasible if people started out with sort of a Place overview. Like, what it'll be called and the sort of things that'll be inside it. Then, if that gets approved, the person goes ahead and begins to write. It'd still be a great deal of work, but I think that would cut it down to a somewhat more manageable size, in that whoever was doing the approving would have less fully written places to read through.

But I think it would be useful beyond belief to do. So maybe someone manages to build a castle. Maybe it's written out in-story as being the work of a number of people. Maybe it's the only castle on the Island. I'd find some excuse to write in it, knowing it's been mod-approved, and? And, it'd be much more likely that I'd find someone else there, on account of there aren't fifty bloody castles to choose from.

Plus, it'd make exploring the Island more fun for new people, I think. If you wander for ten spaces before finding an abandoned shack or a crashed Omnibus, there's that moment of "Whoa, I've found something! This could be awesome!"

Right now, every time you move you're assaulted by large, bright titles. Who cares about a crashed omnibus cradled in a nook in the jungle when you've found a floating tower, three cottages, a Japanese garden, an underground compound and a zoo on your way to it?

That's just my opinion, of course.

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 10:43 PM

Content:

Quote by: Temper

Holy balls yes. A residential district for Improbable Central? Then Soup'N'Pants could finally actually be reached inside Improbable Central! I wasn't even thinking of expanding outposts- I don't think that's a bad idea.

While being able to get directly into a place from an outpost would be cool indeed.. I don't think there is much point to it. The external decoration shows it being in the outpost, and people are more than free to story in central going into the Soup'N'Pants. It's something I've done before, wandered up along to March street to show a 're-rook' character a better place to take a nap than a bench in an outpost.

The programing required to make places go into and out of outposts as opposed to just the map may easily not be worth the effort, as it would be essentially exactly the same as it is now, save that we would click on the place instead of the travel button and then the place.

I still totally support having really cool and special places.. But being able to make your own place and do with it what you will is also one of the largest SP sinks we have. I can't even fathom how much money has gone into Valskyr, for example, and there are still another dozen places, at least, the size category of Carter's Cottage..

Asides from how valuable it is for keeping the kitty (and CMJ) fed on donations alone it is also one of the larger selling points of why to stick around. And the Island is always growing. A large part of the reason we have so many deserted places is because people have moved on, even just since the Cataclysm of September of 2011 and the deletion of all the places that remained as untouched plots after that, we have had so many many places be built up and become forgotten about. Many of those were abandoned almost as soon as they were rebuilt, by those wanting to hold on to what once was. We will keep on having an influx of people, and as long as the standards for places being accepted isn't obscenely high, we are going to have a lot of places being created as well. No matter what the standards are, if a person wants a place enough, they will write, write, and write again until it is approved. And then they can do whatever they want with it.

Not that I see that as a bad thing, mind you, forcing higher quality is just fine with me. But requiring quality will not significantly affect the quantity, especially when we have such a constant flux of contestants.

As an aside, perhaps there can be a compromise. A mix of new and old. And yes, I am about to argue myself back down about places in outposts, for the purpose of being functionally different from places on the map.

Basically in outposts we have the residential district. Or perhaps something else, as there are many places which are not residences, the stores, gardens, things like that.. Anyway, this would likely be its own area in the outpost, to ease on the navlink clutter of the main outpost. In addition there may be a few hubs out in the wilderness. Essentially the same thing, they function as outposts without any of the services except maybe a comms tent and council. Or not even those. These house more places, both those from before, as well as some of the more unusual ones. All of these sorts of places may be created by anyone with the proper resources.

Now, out there, we have the much rarer stand alone places. These would be the ones requiring review before they may be created, and it may be desirable to limit each map square to one of these places maximum.

I have ideas about monsters and how they interact with this proposed version of places, though I will leave that for a later time, if there is interest in theory.

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Content:

I'm thinking that areas around Outposts and in common thoroughfares would be initially off-limits to building, and then we'd bring in especially awesome Places from elsewhere on the map. You're all gonna have to move your Places anyway, since the map's gonna change size and shape, but you won't have to rebuild them. You'll probably get a place-in-a-box.

The tone and story of the Island is gonna bend in some ways towards player freedom, and in other ways toward strong canon, so Places will change a little. They're gonna be cosmetically rethemed so that they can fit in with canon and so that even the craziest Place can make a kind of sense, but functionally they're gonna stay pretty much the same.

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 11:11 PM

Content:

What about those paths that're supposed to be going onto the map? What if we could submit ideas for Improbable Events that happen in those? Heck, give us the old Dwellings system for it, if that's possible. Find an old, abandoned cottage that used to be the home of an Orc family, a not-so-abandoned cottage with a crazy hermit, the empty battleground of where a Panthzer met a Landshark. Instead of trying to lessen canon-breaking things, I think we should promote making canon-friendly things.

I like the idea of having a section inside the outposts for personal homes. Not so much for every single Place; twenty castles don't fit in with the map, they fit even less within NewHome. But just a Residential Sector sounds like it would cut down on all the pristine, undisturbed houses and villas in a warzone but allow people to keep their private chat areas and personal sleeping spots. No Programming, no pages, no dozens upon dozens of rooms; just one room with a few sleeping spots and a chat space.

And then outside the walls, you have your standard Places as we know them now, with all the Programming and exterior design and all that jazz. Maybe make landstakes cost more. Maybe have a rating system for them like monsters? Probably a little more in-depth than a scale of 1 to 5.

Posted on: October 02 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Content:

You're all gonna have to move your Places anyway, since the map's gonna change size and shape,

To put it bluntly-

Glee!

That is all.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 12:55 AM
By: Rykar

Content:

The point of the Places-in-an-outpost (if we're rebooting the programming behind places anyhow) I think is so that we see hardly any places on the map at all, give it a much wilder feel. Or at least a much less heavily populated feel. Though changes to the map shape/size/style might also negate the feeling of walking-through-the-suburbs in ostensibly-thick jungle.

Oh man I can't wait for the rush to pick a good spot for my place when S3 hits.

CMJ should get out a starter gun.

And play the William Tell overture.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 12:57 AM

Content:

Oh yes, RykarCat, very.

I will be blitzing the lodge for sure.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 03:03 AM

Content:

Some thoughts.

What are Places for.
Partly for RPing in. This sub divides into various different types, only one of which is as a general RP area for anybody who cares to visit.

Homes. You know the ones, you enter, there're links to kitchen, bathroom, library, master bedroom (locked). Use the description "well-stocked" in them somewhere at least once. Maybe minor variations on a theme. Nice things to have around, but I don't spend too much time looking around other peoples. Nice places that people can call their own little place, maybe with a bed in it for them. A particularly important feature of these are the locks on the bedroom I would suggest. This last feature I think possibly ups their usefulness in Island life.

Clan buildings. How much use they get depends on the clan. And also where the Place is, but still a useful role to play. Maybe outweighed by clan halls a little.

Places for general RP. Some, which tend to get used by a particular group of people.

Useful places. Beds, in particular at outposts.

Part of the world. Skronky HQ. Improbable Island Water Purification Centre.

Fun builds. Places in their role as "Fun toy for long term players to play with." and "Creative outlet." Can be very nice to wonder round, even if you don't actually say very much. (Or anything at all.)

Others. One-offs and other classes that I can't think of at the moment.

----

Personally I treat Places like I treat RP.* people can do whatever they want, subject only to the explicit rules regarding being a dick and public erotic play. If somebody wants to play batman, then that's up to them. I just won't read it myself.** Likewise with Places. If somebody wants to write whatever they want, then they can get and do it, subject only to similar basic standards. I'll probably not spend long looking around it though. I don't let it interfere with my Island RP, and i don't interfere with its.

Part of the impact of Places, is hopefully to make travel more interesting, have Places on the map. Sadly, as somebody (Rykar?) pointed out: There are so many interesting and exotic sounding Places*** that you reach overload pretty fast. That's a good point.

It has also been pointed out, that a lot of the more veteran RPers do most of their RP in Places. This means less interaction, meeting of new people. It also means less example setting to other RPers. I actually do agree with this. I think that the Island is getting more and more fractured socially, which isn't such a good thing. I think that veterans setting examples of how RP can be done is invaluable, and we don't get enough of it.Actually I don't do much myself. But that's because I haven't been RPing so much, not because I've been hiding away.

Having said that, a lot of veterans are leaving the Island altogether and collaborating on G-docs instead, so I don't think that you can blame Places for that, it's a bit more tricky. If anything, Places provide a place for them to do that without actually leaving the Island. Which is better than leaving altogether.

Monsters attacking Places. Could be interesting. And for some people, might be fantastic - just how they imagined their Place. But not for all of us. I spent ages building a Place up north of Ace High. Puzzle Land.**** It is, as the name suggests, one big puzzle (made up of many smaller puzzles.) I set it up, not for RP, but as a Place that people could find, look round, enjoy, and carry on. Once every three or four months, somebody does this.***** Yay! I only go back once every couple of months. Having to keep defending it would just be a pain in the arse. Really. If something like this comes along, then I very much hope that it's opt out. Or even opt in.

Places from inside outposts? Interesting. Bear in mind that this would make beds easily available in Squat Hole. What about this?

Clans can apply to build within outposts. Clan halls are quietly dropped (eventually.) This would require rather more cigs than out on the map (Hey! Prime real estate here you know!) A lot more. Enough to make it something else for clans to aim towards. Maybe don't allow this until they've got either full buffs, or at least 20 members. These may be partially open to the public if desired.Maybe make beds can be for clan members only if so desired.

This won't really address any of your complaints, but it will provide another benefit - something for clans to work towards as a group. Clan cohesion and all that. Also, another use for cigs. maybe more to provide communication between clan halls in different outposts. (No more than one per clan per outpost.)

Abandoned places? Owned by people who no longer have accounts? Maybe a cull might not be a bad idea there. keep the best ones. The ones that got kept before. Elephants and all that. I have wondered if we're accumulating homes of people no longer with us actually. Homes are good and all, but they're really for the builder and a few others. If they're not being used anymore, then I can see a case there.

What about having a variable cig cost on land squares, depending on how far they are from outposts/safe pathways? That will make people spread out a bit more, rather than clustering round outposts. Some of the uses of Places do rather involve people being able to get to them fairly easily. Not sure.

----

*In fact I tend to think of Places as a cross between role play and game play - a sort of third strand. That's clearly from a builders point of view.
**Though I might wonder if they're really old enough to be playing on the Island.
***Particularly round New Home, the first place that people see.
**** A plug!
***** Also, that it might inspire somebody else in the possibilities of programming. We live in hope.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Content:

Deleting places between the transition would be a useful thing, for those of us who want to cull some of our existing useless creations.

I think that as someone with more than one 'place' that is no longer being used, unfinished, and never going to be finished, I'd really like the option to trade in my 'place in a box' for I dunno.... a fancier hat?

-moo

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 12:57 PM

Content:

Deleting places between the transition would be a useful thing, for those of us who want to cull some of our existing useless creations.

I think that as someone with more than one 'place' that is no longer being used, unfinished, and never going to be finished, I'd really like the option to trade in my 'place in a box' for I dunno.... a fancier hat?

-moo

Seconded. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Skronky Top secret HQ. I hardly ever go in it, neither does anybody else as far as I can tell. If that space was freed up, would anybody even notice let alone mind?

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 03:01 PM

Content:

What about having a variable cig cost on land squares, depending on how far they are from outposts/safe pathways? That will make people spread out a bit more, rather than clustering round outposts. Some of the uses of Places do rather involve people being able to get to them fairly easily. Not sure.

This idea interests me. Property values could go up the closer you are to an outpost, or even the closer you are to other Places! For example, the cig cost for the first place on a square could be 100, so long as it's a minimum of, say, five squares away from an outpost, and then the cig cost for the second Place on that square could go up to 150, then 300, then 600 for the fourth Place. Meanwhile, the cost of plots around that square steadily increase, too, the more populated the first square gets. This is even assuming terms like "squares" and "plots" even still make sense on the new map.

I also feel we need a housing authority of some kind, someone who may not necessarily have to moderate the quality of places, but maybe keeps track of places where the owner has left the game and locked it up, essentially killing the usability of that square. Hey, property values have go down somehow, too!

Tying property values to the sizes of Places might be hilarious fun for those of us who like building giant mansions, resorts, and off-world dimensions. Size to be determined by rooms, length of descriptions, programs, and number of pages. Make people work to game the system!

Granted, this is all speculative based on the idea that land cost won't be tied to buying a single object in an outpost (Land Claim Stakes). I still like it as an idea.

Finally, hearing we'll get our Places back in a box to unpack wherever we want in S3 makes me happy. Cool Very happy.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 04:10 PM
By: Tor+NaGoth

Content:

-moo

Seconded. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Skronky Top secret HQ. I hardly ever go in it, neither does anybody else as far as I can tell. If that space was freed up, would anybody even notice let alone mind?

Thirded (sorry Sic)-

I was going to suggest it if someone else didnt. Or even just the option to tear it down for parts to be used elsewhere.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 04:39 PM

Content:

-moo

Yes, I would mind. When I noticed, that is!

To me, a well-written Place that I've already read through is like a well-loved book sitting on my bookshelf. It makes me feel good every time I see it, even if I'm not always going to decide to take it down and read through it again. I remember what's in there, and I smile.

Well... that's not quite right. On the Island, it's really more like seeing a well-loved book on a public library shelf: it makes me smile to remember it, and I hope that many others will discover it too. If the librarians decided to cull their collection, I might not notice it was missing until I wanted to read it again and discovered it was gone... but then I would be grieved, feeling as if I'd lost a friend.

Skronky Top Secret HQ, for me, is part of the mythos of the Island. It helps define the "culture" of the Midgets, and fits in perfectly with the History of Idiocy: The Rise of Squat Hole that you just added to the Wiki. (Um, yes, player-written, not canon, but some things are so thoroughly, so convincingly done that unless CMJ directly contradicts them they inscribe themselves in my head as how it must be.)

That said, I think the authors of even the most excellent Places do have the right to withdraw them from circulation. So I'd support the place-in-a-box offering them the option to say, "No, I don't want this one to exist any more. Give me back some resources to do something new."

All I'd ask is that if there's a "Nuke-it" button, it will include a safety net question: "You SURE? Have you asked if people will miss it? This is irrevocable!" (I don't want to have to deal with the inevitable heartbroken wails from people who clicked the wrong thing by accident and lost three years' worth of loving elaboration or a whole clan's joint project.)

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 05:56 PM

Content:

2. Unspent SP is unspent SP. That'll be carried over too. I'd also like to give you back at least some of the SP you've spent, and as many lodge items as will still make sense in S3. Right now I'm thinking, well, we gave back all the SP that was accumulated in the year between S2 and S3 - I'm considering a year's worth or 25% of spent SP, whichever is greater. That may well change, and as Sessine said, it's not really worth considering until we're much closer to release date. Either way, now is still a good time to be donating, since you'll be able to spend your SP more than once. Smile

This makes me really happy. And I'm totally alright with a Place-in-a-box so long as I can pop these suckers on a beach somewhere because a port and a boat in the middle of the jungle seems silly.

I've just read so much really interesting discussion on places and I think it's worth talking about so I started a thread just to discuss that: http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=31255

So we don't have to flood the rumors and speculations with opinions on the functionality of places and all that.

Dunno, figure it is worth discussion, lots of great points were raised.

Posted on: October 03 2013 @ 07:44 PM

Content:

Are Chronospheres going to stay on characters or are they going to be made account-wide?

Posted on: October 06 2013 @ 07:17 AM

Content:

Just weighing in to say that I am absolutely in love with the idea of Places actually being in outposts instead of out on the map, with a more expensive option to put a place on the map.

It would help the cluttering problem Temper mentioned, plus make the outposts feel more like player-built cities, with stuff to actually do instead of "this is the most popular chatroom".

Posted on: October 17 2013 @ 03:47 PM

Content:

On the topic of races, I have an idea to better tie them into that 'lights-out' system from a few years back.

Instead of dedicated races for different forms, it's probably a good idea to tie physical forms to different body parts (each limb, the main body, and the head).

For example, everyone would start out as an average Human. Not too lean, not too fat, not too muscled, not too smooth. These things could be changed at character creation, certainly.

But, with enough Drive Kills (and certain encounters or items used), their left leg may grow furry, then eventually clawed (Kittymorph), they may gain a crude wooden-and-brass right leg with a wheel on the end (Robot) and their right arm may turn stunted, muscled, and fat (Midget). This is just a very crass example.

Each DNA aspect of each part is, in effect, a semipermanent 'equipment' or 'skill slot', as certain body parts grant certain 'opt-in' skills (ease of weapons, lowered stamina, increased damage with certain weapons). Humans naturally don't get much beyond what you'd expect a hardened warrior would get in real life (passive bonuses), but they might also gain a resistance to 'improbable' effects (at least, faster than a Kittymorph might, and 'at all' over perhaps a Zombie or Stranger).

As for the overarching race you are, that's determined by either the head or the body (which cannot be changed in between your Drive Kills). You get family bonuses (or at least 'not-penalties') for keeping your other five parts close to that 'species', but if you truly want (or don't want), your bits might change anyway (giving you something else to compensate).

---

No matter what form you take, you'll always be able to flail as normal.

If you were to replace both arms with wings or jet engines or what have you, you might lose the use of a firearm but you'll always be able to kick or headbutt or at least ram your body into the foe. Not always flashy or safe but it will get the job done.

Posted on: October 20 2013 @ 09:27 PM
By: Denealus

Content:

Soooooo...trudged through 27 pages of posts just to make sure some of my things weren't already posted. That's a thing! Though I should go ahead and post some of these thoughts before I get them...

The last big topic seems to be the one about Places...

Personally, I love outposts and places. There's plenty of places I can ignore, but part of the draw of the Island for me is I'm not confined to "Outpost or map square." I can flesh out the description of a map square on the map sure. But it's always nice to be able to enter a place and have a waterfall that's right there or that field of mysterious flowers I keep running across. Or that scrap heap out in the middle of nowhere that's someone's pile. Or that one cave my character likes to dive into to find shelter.

Castles? Mansions? The like? People can build those if they want. To my character, they're either things he can go into or mirages. They aren't really there. They're transitory. It doesn't take away from my gameplay experience....

That said, one option hasn't been talked about yet. What about having the option of making your place private or public? That way things like Port Foley could be flagged as "This is something you can come to and explore and play and have fun" while places that are peoples own private hideaways only show when people want them to. That way people can get the creativity of their own places while still keeping the feel for other people that they're wandering a wild terrain of jungle. Could add the moderator check option for "making my place public" in that, but that way it doesn't stifle creativity. Bonus option if this is good: Some keys or settings available to make to make your place public for select people. I feel if doable this would add a lot to balance out both sides.

----------

Okay! Sub-topic, new things! Two questions/considerations:

One, with the talk about getting SP back and only having one account, I was curious how SP would be dealt with for alts? I've spent some SP on alternate characters just to give them a picture or coloring and titles and while maybe not a humongous amount, it was a sizeable enough deal for me to be concerned about rebuilding it. I can rebuild if I need to, but I don't earn all that much, so this is a consideration I haven't heard talked about. Will SP from alts be shifted to our main accounts if we're getting only one account or simply just lost?

Two: Has any thought been given to something such as starting "stats" for a character? Differentiating humans a bit. Maybe with a point buy that you can start all average or have a buff in one with a detriment in another, with a starting bonus/penalty to the average stamina cost for related actions...

For example (if implemented with the stuff we have with S2):

A high strength character has an easier time with an overweight backpack or with straight fighting.

A high intelligence character learns insults more easily and perhaps can find better scrap.

A high endurance character has better travelling costs and starts able to scale that mountain much easier.

A high luck character gets more Something Improbable events rather than monster encounters.

Etc.

Food for thought! Foggy ethereal concept that entered my brain!

Edit: Funky Island text editing conventions. Bleh. Sometimes gets a bit to remove from your head on autopilot!

Posted on: October 23 2013 @ 01:11 AM
By: Thomas_III

Content:

My thoughts on Places… (I’m posting this to both the places thread, and the general season 3 thread, so pardon me if anything seems like it’s coming out of right field.)

I don’t think that Places should have a rating system, as much as I’d like to see a Place of mine on such a system. I think it encourages people to focus heavily on these rated areas, and perhaps miss out on some really cool places on the map. I think that word of mouth is probably the best way to hear about good Places, as you’ll hear about it from friends and people who likely share similar interests with you. That’s the best way to learn what Places you’d like.

Places attached to outposts have some significant problems. One, it’s likely going to get very crowded, very quickly. Look at how many Places there are now, and then distribute them between the existing outposts. As I recall, I think I remember CMJ saying something about less outposts, so that creates a bigger issue of overcrowding. Secondly, some Places, like Stonehenge or the Barrens, represent complete cities, or even worlds. That’s a little different than just having an apartment built in a section of the outpost.

There are ways to do this, perhaps by making this the cheapest form of “Place” and it only amounting to a single room with a bed. Still, there are a lot of members on the site, and some people will likely get one of these “Places,” in addition to any other Places that they have, just so they have a quick place to sleep for NewDay.

I’ve also seen talk of keeping Places away from the area surrounding an outpost at the start of the season, and then moving Places there based on quality or popularity. While this makes the popular Places within easy reach, it also puts the less popular Places out of reach, making it less likely that anyone will randomly visit these potential hidden treasures. The popular would become more popular, and the forgotten would become more forgotten. This is especially true if people (read as “rooks”) know that the closer Places are the “better” Places, why would they even bother going into the others?

I love that we’ll be able to port our Places over to the new season, though I’ve seen a lot of legitimate concerns about how it may work, and how it could work better. People may want to make something new when they come over, or at least make some changes. I think I may have a solution for that.

Instead of just one “Place-in-a-box,” make two. One contains all of the rooms, pages and doors (maybe inventory and programming, as well), while the other holds the “work” that went into building it (the building units and raw materials). Thus, if you want to just slap everything down just as it is, then you “use” the first box (filling your job list), and then use the second box to actually do all of the work. However, if you want to maybe change some things (delete a room or two), then you simply just delete those jobs from the list before you start working on them, and you’ll have a little extra “manpower” left to do other jobs.

Notice, though, that I didn’t say that either of these should include a land stake. I think we should have to actually build up the cigs (or spend SP for them) before we have a stake to throw down. That will keep the map from being full from the start, focusing more on the new game and storyline for a bit before people slip into focusing on Place RP.

I also think it would be cool if these boxes were giftable. It may be hard to stomach, but some people may want to not keep up their place, but could give the “work” box to someone else to help with building. (I imagine that a few people would happily give up their own Places to make Stonehenge bigger.) Alternatively, they may want their Place to stay, but either don’t want to upkeep it, or would like it to be part of a larger Place. For instance, if someone has a Place that is a store or tavern, and think that it would make a fine addition to the Barrens (which is a small city location). They pass their boxes to me and I slip them into my own Place inventory, and then pop their buildings into my own Place. Their creation still exists, but as a larger whole.

Now, I think I’ve rambled on enough about what’s already been talked about, so I’ll move on to some other ideas that I have. I’d like to see a few alterations to building and programming.

In the job list, I’d like to be able to see what you’ve actually written, and have the option of going in to edit it before it’s built. It’s a pain in the butt when I realize that I made a typo in something that I’ve already set up in the job list. I either have to wait for the job to be done, and then go in to edit the room, again, or I have to figure out which job is the typo and delete it so I can make a new job with the right wording.

It’s just a small thing, but I’d like a “Set Memory Part” added to the C&Cs. It would make some programs so much easier, and would enable things that we can’t do now. I can understand if this can’t be set up, though.

And, the one thing that I want more than anything else…. The ability to change where doors go to. As it stands, making a door makes you pick two rooms that it goes to, and you can’t change them. So, if a room becomes useless, and there’s no other room idea to go there, then you have a useless door that you have to just hide. If you can change the door’s destinations, then no door becomes useless. The same could be true of Pages, since changing a room will often make a page pointless, especially if you can’t think of a new page to put there. If you could move the page to another room, and then change the description to fit what you need there.

Posted on: October 25 2013 @ 07:33 AM

Content:

Season 3's inventory system is almost done. All I've left to do before I can cross it off my list is make a single-handed weapon, a two-handed weapon, and some gloves, and test it with all those things.

Yeah. Hands are the most complicated part. To simplify things a bit, you've got three hands.

No, bear with me.

You've got your left hand, your right hand, and your both hands, as separate inventory slots. Gloves go on your both hands. Small weapons can go in the left hand or the right hand and we're going to assume everybody's ambidextrous because WHY NOT. Some weapons need two hands, and they go in your both hands.

It's actually simpler this way, believe me.

I was doing this whole thing where I restricted which items could go in which slot, but it was turning out horrendously complicated (you want to have overrides, inclusion lists, exclusion lists and so forth) then I realized that players would WANT to put their pants on their heads.

WELL LET THEM PUT THEIR PANTS ON THEIR HEADS THEN. We'll just check where the item is before granting its benefits. No, your pants will protect neither your head nor your legs if they're in the wrong place on your body, but I'm not going to stop my players from being silly. It'd be like five minutes before someone said "CavemanJoe, why can't I put pants on my head?" and I'd be all like "Because I spent bloody hours putting in the code to stop you from doing that," and then they'd be all "Why" and I'd have to say "Whatever reason I had, it probably wasn't good enough."

IMPROBABLE ISLAND: PANTS-ON-HEAD EDITION

(I'm probably going to have to make an achievement or something for going through a whole level with your pants on your head)

Posted on: October 25 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Content:

You've got your left hand, your right hand, and your both hands, as separate inventory slots. Gloves go on your both hands. Small weapons can go in the left hand or the right hand and we're going to assume everybody's ambidextrous because WHY NOT. Some weapons need two hands, and they go in your both hands.

Hopefully all monsters would follow this system.

(They'd be like preset, disposable 'players'.)

Posted on: October 25 2013 @ 04:38 PM
By: Denealus

Content:

IMPROBABLE ISLAND: PANTS-ON-HEAD EDITION

I wield my pants with both hands

Honestly, this is fantastically hilarious, thank you.

Posted on: October 26 2013 @ 08:52 PM
By: Buddleia

Content:

Does that mean that if you're wearing gloves you can't use a two-handed weapon and vice versa? And that you can use two small weapons at once?

Does that mean that you can use two small weapons at once, one in each hand? And that if you're wearing gloves on your both hands, you can't use a two-handed weapon, and vice versa? These are also fantastic/ally hilarious, thank you!

Posted on: October 28 2013 @ 03:50 PM

Content:

Quote by: Buddleia

Does that mean that if you're wearing gloves you can't use a two-handed weapon and vice versa?

...why on Earth would I do that?

Posted on: October 28 2013 @ 05:17 PM

Content:

I was doing some Wild Speculation, making obviously-incorrect assumptions about how items would occupy inventory slots! "One item, one slot" would mean that you couldn't have a weapon and a gloves in your Both Hands, I think? Anyway, if not, awesome. Next up, wondering how many items you can put in each inventory slot - can you wear your Pants, Shoes, Shirt, Helmet, Gloves, Armor and a Weapon all on your head at the same time? And who's going to be the first to draw that?

(Also, I have no idea why my previous post looks like that.)

Posted on: October 28 2013 @ 07:06 PM

Content:

I was doing some Wild Speculation, making obviously-incorrect assumptions about how items would occupy inventory slots! "One item, one slot" would mean that you couldn't have a weapon and a gloves in your Both Hands, I think? Anyway, if not, awesome. Next up, wondering how many items you can put in each inventory slot - can you wear your Pants, Shoes, Shirt, Helmet, Gloves, Armor and a Weapon all on your head at the same time? And who's going to be the first to draw that?

(Also, I have no idea why my previous post looks like that.)

(more Wild Speculation)

If you can do all that, can you also have a one-handed weapon in your Left Hand, a one-handed weapon in your Right Hand, and a two-handed weapon in your Both Hands? *

...I'm going to go ahead and speculate that sure, you can, but if you do, it won't give you any advantage in combat: Whatever you're holding with Both Hands will take precedence?

--
* It sounds ridiculous for most weapons, but hey, why not? Also, I have faith in Islanders. I'm sure someone can think up a combination where you wouldn't be always fumbling and dropping everything. Oh. Maybe brass knuckles?

Posted on: October 28 2013 @ 09:14 PM

Content:

I was assuming that armor and weapon slots would be separated, so you could still wear gloves on your both hands (or your pants or maybe some leggings) and wield your Riot Hammer as well.

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 12:16 AM

Content:

Quote by: Thomas_III

And, the one thing that I want more than anything else…. The ability to change where doors go to. As it stands, making a door makes you pick two rooms that it goes to, and you can’t change them. So, if a room becomes useless, and there’s no other room idea to go there, then you have a useless door that you have to just hide. If you can change the door’s destinations, then no door becomes useless. The same could be true of Pages, since changing a room will often make a page pointless, especially if you can’t think of a new page to put there. If you could move the page to another room, and then change the description to fit what you need there.

I'd like to bring this up one more time, because it's just that important. If doors, pages and bed slots (yes, bed slots) were movable, then changing areas that are no longer in use would be a piece of cake. There would be no more "just hide that door or page" when a room has to be changed. You could completely repurpose all of the components that went into building that room. This would be a huge improvement in the building process.

Plus, it would be nice to have furniture to be edited in the slot, rather than being carried from IC. Once you have the type of bed in place, you could just change the name and description to match what you needed. The changes could be a decorating job, once the bed is in place.

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 01:55 PM

Content:

Does that mean that if you're wearing gloves you can't use a two-handed weapon and vice versa?

...why on Earth would I do that?

Broadsword gloves! Potato peeler gloves! Laser gloves! Rock gloves! Catapult Gloves! Medieval shield gloves! On-fire gloves! Angry Cat gloves! Bee gloves! Terribly smelling and slimy gloves!

On the same vein, any other piece of equipment that takes more than one slot, like a sundress that takes both shirt and pant slots. (Of course, there can still be pieces of equipment that take only one slot.)

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM

Content:

Oh, and Places could have Windows! They would be like doors but, instead of going through them, they would show you what's on the other side. It would be part of the "explore the area" section, and clicking on it would bring up a page of what you see in the adjoining room, as well as a list of any contestants that may be out there. By making one side or the other hidden, you could create effects like one-way mirrors, peepholes, or hidden cameras. (Though, you wouldn't see any chat text, so you couldn't peep in to read ERP, though you could act like you're seeing something if you have fair reason to believe that something is happening.)

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 03:01 PM

Content:

Oooh, do we get an 'underwear' slot? Wear Frilly Pink Panties under Omega's sundress, gain armor bonus for protecting your junk! Wear the Lacey Lingerie with Pants, but lose the Lingerie's benefits! Remove pants, and be stunningly gorgeous again!

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 03:14 PM
By: Laser+Towel

Content:

Whistle and I were discussing Titans the other day, and we got to thinking about how people bring up mobile Places from time to time.

I know, you've heard it all before and it's horribly gamebreaking, but hear me out.

What if, when you killed a Titan, it continued to roam about the map aimlessly and at random.

And what if you could put a stake in it and build a Place.

The random bit would mitigate the gamebreakishness of it, because you can't control where it goes... but it's still mobile. Plus it would be really cool to have some lumbering Titan hulk stomping around everywhere with a little hut built into the side of its calf, or maybe even a small village nestled high atop its head. You could even make it a percentage chance, where, say, when a Titan dies there is a 3% chance of it maintaining a zombielike state (thus making it Place-worthy). Or 17%. Or 0.01%, or really any arbitrary value that seems good enough.

Hell, maybe it takes five stakes instead of one to claim it. Maybe it has thirty slots instead of the usual four that map tiles have. There are a lot of things you could jigger around to make it work.

Just a thought.

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 03:16 PM

Content:

Oh yes, Trowa! Weaponized underwear!

Posted on: October 29 2013 @ 04:08 PM

Content:

Quote by: Omega

Oh yes, Trowa! Weaponized underwear!

::snicker:: Booby traps.

Posted on: November 02 2013 @ 12:12 PM

Content:

So this idea suddenly came to me. If we've got all these different inventory slots for bodyparts as well as bags, and presumably all these different clothes/armors from Sheila's which can go into them ... what about scavenging clothes/armors from monsters?

Plenty of people, in-character, wear things they've found or made from stuff in the jungles. Sure, the in-character counter-argument is that by the time you've fought a monster their clothes are unwearable (especially if you use the more destructive weapons), but I bet you could get some rags out of it at least. Or lionskin rugs!

I'm thinking that each monster you kill could have the options "clean carcass for meat" and "loot body". There'd be an RNG for what you might find each time - sometimes you'd get nothing - but each monster will have a list of possibles for what you could find. Higher-level monsters have better stuff; for example from the Little Old Lady you might get a dress or an underskirt or a pair of bloomers which would give +1 armor and -1 charm, but the Albert might have a tweed jacket or pants which give +7 armor. (Or maybe they give less armor than the level of the monster, considering that you just beat their owner and then pulled them off the remains.) Maybe you could find goodies too?

Come to think about it, what about a very small chance of scavenging their weapons too, for the few monsters which have actual weapon-weapons? Use the Grimbot's Large, Dangerous Scythe! Smack knuckles with the Severe Stereotypical Nun's Ruler!

Of course, this does add yet another massive layer of complications to gameplay and to game-coding. It could be hard to balance fairly. I dunno whether it's worth it - depends whether it'd be fun or just end up as a chore, and on whether it'd be taking the game too far from "lighthearted craziness" into annoying "monsters drop loot" style adventure games. Might be better staying as your mental narrative for what your character does ... or it might be hilarious.

Posted on: November 02 2013 @ 01:55 PM

Content:

So this idea suddenly came to me. If we've got all these different inventory slots for bodyparts as well as bags, and presumably all these different clothes/armors from Sheila's which can go into them ... what about scavenging clothes/armors from monsters?

It would be a little nice to find ammo and grenades on monsters, as common sense dictates.

Would be a nice alternative to getting Requisition some of the time (and can be sold anyway).

And if certain weapons are common enough to be looted, a 'steal' mechanic could take place. It might even be justified in PVP - if some player steals your weapon, you go get another later.

Posted on: November 10 2013 @ 12:58 PM
By: Grey

Content:

Well, if you're going to have achievements, you need to give ones out for being in season one and two, such as "Are you still here?" and "How do I get rid of you?"

Posted on: November 12 2013 @ 05:43 PM
By: nicto1

Content:

I recognize that this is probably an Unreasonable Request, but just in case it isn't I am posting it anyway. One can only hope... . I know that as one has more DK's the subsequent ones become harder and harder. That's understandable and probably good IMHO. It wasn't until my late 40's though that I discovered that my ego required me to complete a Bastard run. Street cred and respectability and all that. I'm now on my 49th DK and my very first rank 7 run is going to take me *months* (Not exaggerating! Such pain! My family is tired of listening to me swearing!) at this point.

TL, DR: Would it be possible to make one's first run at each advanced rank equivalent to an early one, in terms of points to advance to the next level? I'm not sure if I'm being clear...but if it takes so many experience points to advance to the next level in an early DK, could we make that true for the first try at the next higher Rank, regardless of the number of DK's? Thanks so much for even considering this!

Oh, and: Klaatu Barada Nicto!

Posted on: November 12 2013 @ 09:23 PM

Content:

We don't know how experience is going to work with the 'level up doing anything' system. Or if there'll even be different difficulties.

Posted on: November 16 2013 @ 04:02 PM
By: Harris

Content:

...you will be able to play Improbable Island on your Playstation 4. Mr. Green

Posted on: November 16 2013 @ 11:19 PM
By: Mogar

Content:

Since doing something with an oversized, overweight pack on takes more effort, strength, and perhaps finesse, would you gain more experience with an oversized pack? Or with higher weight in your pack under the limit, in case overweighted packs might just be detrimental to what you're doing (like warming up for a baseball swing with a weighted bat)?

Posted on: November 26 2013 @ 09:10 PM
By: nicto1

Content:

I would love, love, love to see a drink effect that gave +initiative, to inhibit one-shotting by high rank monsters.

Posted on: December 12 2013 @ 08:42 AM
By: Hegemon

Content:

Another fun thing would be to be able to create monsters *in* places, i.e. for training rooms or stuff like that. This is probably a stupid suggestion, but it's really all I can think of....

For the handed combat, will you gain skill for each slot separately? It seems like you should.

Also, customizeable weapons would be amazing, maybe with a point-based system? Something like what was suggested for mutants earlier?

Posted on: December 13 2013 @ 12:57 AM
By: hajen

Content:

ok read through the 9 pages and saw my favorite subject mentioned a couple of times, but never did see it be addressed from an official source, so ...

will there be PvP? and will it be completely avoidable?

i also saw that someone else remembers vending machines, which brings up -- what kind of gifting system and transferring of wealth systems will be in place? hell, what kind of currencies will be used?

Posted on: December 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM

Content:

Quote by: Hegemon

Another fun thing would be to be able to create monsters *in* places, i.e. for training rooms or stuff like that. This is probably a stupid suggestion, but it's really all I can think of....

For the handed combat, will you gain skill for each slot separately? It seems like you should.

Also, customizeable weapons would be amazing, maybe with a point-based system? Something like what was suggested for mutants earlier?

Your first idea already exists. Have you been to one of Dirk Vanderhuge's Places? He's made a couple of amazing tabletop-style systems that have their own combat, equipment and stats separate from the game's.

Posted on: December 13 2013 @ 04:33 AM

Content:

Quote by: hajen

ok read through the 9 pages and saw my favorite subject mentioned a couple of times, but never did see it be addressed from an official source, so ...

CMJ said there would be consensual-only PvP in banter a while ago.... Not sure if that's changed though.

I'd assume Req and cigs would still be the currencies*. Maybe systems like the scrapyard market?

*This is a wild guess and I doubt the veracity of anything I've said. I'm just assuming that the same concepts will exist, not sure about the names.

Posted on: December 13 2013 @ 06:11 AM

Content:

A BIG part of why I'm doing S3 in the first place is so that we can properly rebalance combat. Half of that is so that I can have combat in my quests and be able to have a reasonable chance of it being interesting and appropriately challenging for a given level - the other half, same idea, but for place owners.

Yes, you'll be able to use the combat system in Places.

As for hands, after much consideration and frustration, fuck the left-hand right-hand both-hands bollocks we're just going with Hands.

Customizable weapons - all weapons have their own level tree, and you get skill points to pour into that weapon's matrix. So one player who's reached level 100 in Baseball Bat might actually swing their bat in a completely different way to another player who's also reached level 100 in Baseball Bat. Add in a name-changer and presto. It's kinda built-in. Smile

Posted on: December 13 2013 @ 06:13 AM

Content:

i also saw that someone else remembers vending machines, which brings up -- what kind of gifting system and transferring of wealth systems will be in place? hell, what kind of currencies will be used?

There will be PvP, and it will be completely opt-in. More of a consensual sparring, less of a S1-style random stabbing.

The battle engine - which I've been working on for close to a year, now - is built to support multiple players vs one monster, multiple monsters vs one player, npc's, pretty much any combination.

Posted on: December 13 2013 @ 03:11 PM

Content:

There will be PvP, and it will be completely opt-in. More of a consensual sparring, less of a S1-style random stabbing.

The battle engine - which I've been working on for close to a year, now - is built to support multiple players vs one monster, multiple monsters vs one player, npc's, pretty much any combination.

Does this mean we'll finally get to gang up on the crazy NewHome lady and show her how much we like her singing?

Posted on: December 16 2013 @ 08:40 AM

Content:

Customizable weapons - all weapons have their own level tree, and you get skill points to pour into that weapon's matrix. So one player who's reached level 100 in Baseball Bat might actually swing their bat in a completely different way to another player who's also reached level 100 in Baseball Bat. Add in a name-changer and presto. It's kinda built-in. Smile

So, theoretically, Player A could be just as effective with his kitchen knife as Player B is with her chainsaw?

I approve.

Posted on: January 08 2014 @ 05:30 PM

Content:

Another thing that I'd like (and other players too, I've asked around) would be access to preferences and inventory accessible everywhere. It would make RP much easier sometimes, as well as just making stuff easier to find. It's annoying to have to go to an outpost to change my Bio or Description because of something that happened in a (far-away) place. This is more a complaint though.... Confused

How customizable are we talking here? I mean, all a weapon does is add to attack. Attack and crit chance seem to be the only two choices for adding to. That'll make it more interesting though.... Big Grin Can't wait!

Posted on: January 08 2014 @ 05:36 PM

Content:

How customizable are we talking here? I mean, all a weapon does is add to attack. Attack and crit chance seem to be the only two choices for adding to. That'll make it more interesting though.... Big Grin Can't wait!

Well, in the game currently, there are weapons that also have buffs attached to them. One fine example is the Cat Launcher with its 10% reduction to enemy attack for being a scary weapon, whereas the other cat launchers have no such buff. Extrapolate to other weapons, and it may very well come down to something like how threatening are you with your baseball bat? Is it decorated with frightening imagery? Did you wrap barb wire around it? Maybe nail through poisonous spikes that deal continuous damage? Light it on fire? Wrap it with copper wire and attach a battery to it to electrocute monsters?

I see a world of possibilities opening up!

Posted on: March 10 2014 @ 04:58 AM

Content:

I think it would be neat if there is a Maintenance Mode for Season 3 when things need repairing. Something where Global Banter still works, and keeps everyone in the same spot so nobody can potentially break things getting modified. Maybe locks people wherever they are, or dumps everyone into the same space, then drops them all back when Maintenance Mode is done? I think it would be useful for players and admin alike, so folks don't get spun up into a panic when things seemingly break.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=31050