Subject: Unique Rookie Color

Posted on: October 08 2014 @ 11:43 PM
By: Lain

Content:

While pondering the various things being discussed about Banter, I realized that one of Banter's characteristics is how fast it moves. I try to keep my eyes open for new players saying hello or asking questions, and sometimes don't see one until it's almost off the page. And then it came to me: new players should have their own unique color.

It should be something brighter than the muted cyan of present default, and--this is important--it should be a color that can not be chosen as a default text color by anyone else. Like, not an option, won't work. New players can change to something else if they want to, of course, but by the time they get to that, they've probably already figured some things out or have already asked their questions.

Just a thought.

Replies:

Re: Unique Rookie Color

Posted on: October 14 2014 @ 03:03 AM
By: Denealus

Content:

I am hesitant on this if only that calling someone out as a rookie is kind of insensitive. It does bring up certain expectations and I've seen somewhat of a "jump the rookie" mentality that comes up from time to time that if I were in that position, I'd probably clam up. In Story and in Banter. It's gotten better, but still, sometimes people need to take things at their own pace...

That said, it doesn't necessarily have to be a color. What about underlining their first post? And only their first post? That way, it stands out enough for someone to say hello and get greeted but it's not a big tag that stays for a long time and makes people feel like they're being called out for being new.

Also also, regarding the "people who say hello, then don't say anything else"? I think that's their prerogative. Forcing people to talk rarely goes anywhere good. We're a good community to encourage people to converse! Flies and honey, guys. Flies and honey.

Posted on: October 13 2014 @ 10:31 PM
By: Docenspiel

Content:

I don't say hello or use other greetings. Greetings' function is to alert others of one's presence, so in an all-text medium, any post is a greeting. So I'll start straight into a conversation, or just stay quiet if there isn't one. I do the same when others enter Banter with a greeting. If I wish to hear from them, I will immediately enter them into the conversation.

In Story, something like that's the usual; smaller scenes to entice Rookies in and can give them something to do immediately upon popping in. If you want to draw out the introverts in Banter, you need to find a topic that they'll be fine with and want to discuss with a bunch of weirdos.

Posted on: October 13 2014 @ 09:53 PM
By: 42-Central

Content:

Apologies. I only brought it up because, as was said earlier, the more extroverted types are likely to try until they get a response.

and well, i never feel welcome in banter per se, just tolerated, so i can certainly understand that very well

Posted on: October 13 2014 @ 08:13 PM
By: Genevieve

Content:

I don't think this thread was started in the interest of highlighting introverts, merely to offer a suggestion of a means to better notice a new player when they enter a chat space.

Not all new players are introverts! But all new players start with grey names and cyan text.

Everyone is given a free single color name change, but not everyone would know how to use it right away. Just as they may not know how to change their default chat color.

I don't think the horrid blue color is a good idea for chat color or title. And I regret offering it up in my idea for a "new!" Tag. It's a terrible color and I personally hate it, but it's bright!

I like the idea of all new players defaulting to a different chat color. Something nobody else can use. (Perhaps a shade of yellow as there's only one yellow) as it doesn't call them out as a new player in a demeaning way. EVERYONE has different color speech, theirs is just yellow! A new default that they can keep forever if they want, or change. A color that can't be changed back into, so that we will come to recognize it to mean a new-to-chat player is present, and to at least acknowledge them.

We are usually really good about saying hello to new people, but sometimes people get ignored. Even veteran players!

A few days ago I said hello in banter and my greeting was wiped off the page without a single reply, it made me feel a little bad, as if I wasnt a desirable member of the current conversation. It was enough that I didn't try to say hello again for a while. When I said hello again, an hour later, and a whole different group of people were in banter, I was noticed right away. It's not a nice feeling to be ignored, for any player. I can only imagine that it feels worse for a new player who is encouraged to say hello with the offer of a cookie and everything!

I would love to see some feature that prevents anyone from feeling left out. We are a very welcoming community, which makes being ignored feel that much worse. I know nobody does it intentionally, which is why I feel an at-a-glance solution is best.

Posted on: October 13 2014 @ 02:02 PM
By: Sneaky

Content:

Didn't we remove the title Rookie from current joining new players just to avoid singling them out?

Heck, what if this is someone who goes through three or so Drive Kills, doesn't buy a title, and one day decides to join the chat as Civilian Patterson or something for game advice? What then?

Posted on: October 13 2014 @ 06:51 PM
By: 42-Central

Content:

As a pretty big introvert myself, I think I can say with some certainty that drawing attraction to the people who pop in literally just to say 'hello' and then disappear might not be the best idea. I'm not sure if the points I have to share will contribute to the conversation, but I think I'll share them anyway in case they do.

Here's the thing. Getting a useful in-game item in exchange for typing one word that few people are likely to notice takes zero effort.

Keeping up with a conversation with several people I don't know in the slightest, when I would much rather just play the game in silence? Significantly harder and not likely to happen.

I'm okay with talking in Banter now because I actually have an interest in interaction with others and find it easy to do via a text medium, and I'm pretty familiar with some people. There's going to be people like that that will keep talking because they're comfortable with it. There are also going to be the people who would rather just play the game and keep away from everyone, and that isn't likely to change if attention is drawn to them. If anything, it'll probably keep them away. Before they could just kind of pipe up and then easily disappear to do whatever they were doing; now if they so much as say one thing everyone will notice it. Or at least more people will notice it. And while that's fine for people who want to be noticed, it's a pretty big deterrent for someone who didn't really want to talk in the first place.

I'm not even fully sure how to get this point across. People who don't want to talk to others in general just will not do that until they are good and ready, and all the cosmetic changes in the world won't change that. And even the ones that do will probably not want that much after a while if they're introverts. Often they just need one or two people, not five or ten.

I know that when I'm outside I prefer to draw as little attraction to myself as possible. For some people, it's the same online as well as off. Attention is a BAD THING. Increasing the chance of said bad thing: not a good idea. Not a good idea at all.

I realise that the argument here is 'well, they can just slip away then,' and that's fair enough, but I just felt the need to speak up on the issue. There's a lot of talk about drawing attention to these people who might not even want that at all, and I think we need to keep them in mind here. A few extra stat points and some more fights for the day isn't going to change introverts being introverts, and I'm not sure making them more noticeable is going to help them. It certainly isn't going to encourage them to talk more to people they don't know if they're just here for the game. At least, that's what I think.

I'm really sorry that I have nothing to offer in ways of advice, but I can't see how highlighting introverts, no matter how subtly, is a good thing, and I honestly don't know how to make it better.

Posted on: October 13 2014 @ 11:32 AM
By: Temper

Content:

I dunno that singling out an introverted person is necessarily the greatest thing. I also don't see how this would, functionally, be any different than the old rookie (newb? was that ever the actual title? It's been so long I can't remember if it went from that to rookie to nothing) title. I get that maybe people didn't like having the word rookie associated with them, but having a color code associated with you that does the exact same thing as the title will eventually, I believe, run into the same exact issue.

I am of course biased in that I am not really a fan of the J color code, so there's that.

As an aside, I'm not on nearly as often as I used to be, but I have yet to see a person with a name I've never seen before come into Banter and say, "Hello," and get nothing in return, from anyone. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I can't accurately judge how common of a problem it might be, so my opinion on things is probably skewed by this as well.

I would, however, be in favor of maybe just switching the default says color for everyone to something that sinks into the default skin color slightly less... deftly? The current teal-blue-whatever isn't the worst color in terms of doing that, but it does a fair job of blending in(to me, anyways), which seems to be what people want addressed.

Posted on: October 10 2014 @ 04:06 PM
By: Lain

Content:

I don't want new players to feel obviously singled out with a NEW! or anything that might make them feel self-conscious. That's why I thought a text speech color that's bright and unique to them would be the best option. I've noticed lately that a lot of veteran players have changed their default color to the cyan, so it's easier to miss Noobs. With their own speech color, they wouldn't even realize this was the case, but veterans would see it right away. Then by the time new players figure out how to change their default color, they are probably advanced enough not to need the extra identifier.

And Joe...I thought about this with the free cookie for saying "hello" you did. I saw a ton of players literally just type "hello" and then nothing. Often no one, or very few players, responded. And if that's all the text says, it disappears pretty quickly. We don't have to worry about the more extroverted folks who will keep talking without any prompting; folks are pretty good about actually answering questions. But if your point was to get people to jump in and chat with the cookie reward, the more introverted players seemed to just greet and stay silent, you know? Sometimes they need a little extra attention to feel comfortable saying anything more than "hi."

So...maybe a unique color for the first DK or until they change their default text?

Posted on: October 10 2014 @ 08:31 AM
By: Tinkerbinker

Content:

Quote by: Escemfer

I like the idea of a `J colored name. They can easy change it to a different solid color later for free, when they get the hang of it, or it could wear off automatically on their first DK. It also blends in with the established social norm of having Colorful names enough that rookies shouldn't feel too heavily spotlighted by it. I know that when I'm getting my feet wet in a new community, I try to blend in as much as possible, rather than set myself apart. A big, bold, blatant tag in front of their name might make new players feel rather self-conscious and patronized.

I agree with Escemfer, here, about the big, bold tag. (That was why the rookie tag got removed, yeah? Reinstating something of the like might lead back up to problems with that, and I can imagine some new players wouldn't like it much.)

And I actually spot people more because of the gray, myself! It stands any new players out from the rest of the colour ridden banter. If someone posts with a gray name, my attention goes right to them.
A concern about a new player having a coloured name, instead of gray, is that they might blend in too much. Having a coloured name right off the bat would mean that they look like the rest of banter - and having a colour just for new players might make them nervous, too, like Esc said about the tag in front of the name.

Posted on: October 10 2014 @ 01:32 AM

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

The `J code is reserved for important things that the player needs to know - its impact would be diluted if we used it more often than we do.

Is there a particular reason why we need to identify newbies in particular? Say a newbie comes in and says hi - do we not already say hi back to them?

We try our hardest to say hello to new players (at least I do I am not everyone) but sometimes it's very hard to catch them if banter is moving very quickly. Since all new players default to grey name cyan text I often look for cyan text in the hopes that I can answer a question or say hello, but sometimes they just get blurred together with all the rest of the jumble of color in banter and it gets missed.

I know from direct observation that Lain is super hardcore awesome about greeting new players, and I know personally I feel terrible if I accidentally missed someone (im sure she does too) so I don't think there's a not saying hello issue, it's more a "I do not want to miss a single new player under any circumstance" kind of deal. (Calling on Lain as she started the thread)

It'd just be handy to have a newbie identification system so it's easy to spot someone new even off my tiny phone screen when eleven shades of blue and green and grey are in banter.

Posted on: October 10 2014 @ 12:37 AM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

The `J code is reserved for important things that the player needs to know - its impact would be diluted if we used it more often than we do.

Is there a particular reason why we need to identify newbies in particular? Say a newbie comes in and says hi - do we not already say hi back to them?

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 09:49 PM
By: Escemfer

Content:

I like the idea of a `J colored name. They can easy change it to a different solid color later for free, when they get the hang of it, or it could wear off automatically on their first DK. It also blends in with the established social norm of having Colorful names enough that rookies shouldn't feel too heavily spotlighted by it. I know that when I'm getting my feet wet in a new community, I try to blend in as much as possible, rather than set myself apart. A big, bold, blatant tag in front of their name might make new players feel rather self-conscious and patronized.

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 06:31 PM

Content:

Quote by: Trowa

I remember when rookies actually had "Rookie" as their title. Then it got taken away because, if I recall correctly, some people felt it was singling them out unfairly?

I like the New! title idea for only a few levels, rather than a whole DK, because some people just don't DK, or they DK reeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyy slooooooooooowwwwwwwllyyyyyyyyy...

My thoughts exactly. It also means that if someone made an Alt but didn't want to see that sign all the time they'd already come with the know-how to get to the needed level. And new players could choose to take their time with it.

But I know I have an alt with no DKs but he's not new... Maybe the New! Also disappears after they use their name color changer?

EDIT: or even have the New! Disappear after a certain number of Banter posts, so it can wear off as they are more involved in the community!

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 02:29 PM
By: Trowa

Content:

I remember when rookies actually had "Rookie" as their title. Then it got taken away because, if I recall correctly, some people felt it was singling them out unfairly?

I like the New! title idea for only a few levels, rather than a whole DK, because some people just don't DK, or they DK reeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyy slooooooooooowwwwwwwllyyyyyyyyy...

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 01:10 PM

Content:

Perhaps a New! right in front of their name for the first three levels or something?

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 01:40 PM
By: Matthew

Content:

Instead of their font color, new players having their name be in `J instead of `& would probably be helpful. Then it turns to `& after their first DK. It's a coming of age thing!

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 05:46 AM
By: Denealus

Content:

It should be bright pink! The color of your first set of panties

Posted on: October 09 2014 @ 02:40 AM
By: Docenspiel

Content:

The J code was specifically taken out so it could be used for OOC messages for rooks, so that would be the most logical choice. But I don't think it'd be all that helpful. Some are bound to keep the color (for however long they can), so it'd still be difficult to pick out a new player during the speedy times.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=32531