Subject: Season 3 Appoencode

Posted on: January 20 2015 @ 01:34 AM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I like where you're going with the appoencode-style gender options - that's something that we should have had a long time ago. In the next iteration of Improbable Island, we'll be moving to two-character appoencodes, for two reasons: first, more colours and shades, and even typefaces. Second, it'll be a damn sight easier to keep track of this sort of thing (we can use `gn, `gs, `go, `gr, `gd and `gD for the lowercase versions of what you propose, and `Gn, `Gs, `Go, `Gr, `Gd and `GD for first-letter-capitalized versions).

My Git-related shite is thoroughly messed-up, and fixing it is On My List.

What is "Appoencode"? Is it a function to encode text into appos? Is it a secret language used by the people of Appoen to let them speak about outsiders right in front of said outsiders? Is it the magnum opus of Sylvia J. Appoencode, an information theorist who enjoyed colorful online text adventures? Yes! All true! But appoencodes* are not just that, they are also THE WAY OF THE FUTURE!

CavemanJoe, you have suggested that in Season 3 you will move the island to 2-character appoencodes. This would be acceptable, but it seems inelegant, and I'd probably forget the appencodes all the time. Instead, I'd like to propose a system of short appoencodes and long appoencodes. Short appoencodes would be similar to the appoencodes we have today: they would consist of a grave followed by an alphanumeric character (or a grave) and generally have to do with changing the color of text. Long appoencodes would be different: they would consist of a grave, followed by a special character, followed by a string of arbitrary length terminated with a semicolon.

The uses of each:
Short

Long (of course, these are all rough ideas and may or may not be useful)

*I hope you can pluralize "Appoencode" like that. It's some weird verb-nounification, but I like it. Anyhow, CMJ used the term first, so you can take it up with him Smile

Replies:

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=32892