Subject: Further uses for favour

Posted on: October 24 2009 @ 04:52 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

With Saved Days so nicely reworked, making using favour to get off the failboat so very rarely the best option, many characters will be racking up quite a lot of favour with the Watcher. After getting to 500, which you can only use once in a DK... there's nothing. Further favour is meaningless. And yeah, sure, cage fights still count towards your standard fighting skill, so they're worth doing -- but there's no reason to care what the Watcher thinks of you beyond 500.

I do not think that allowing re-blessing would be a good idea. That would dilute the value of having your armor or weapon blessed, and take away the interesting strategic decision about when to go for it.

But there should be some other goal to aim for. Something completely different. Something that's available at some very high level of favour... mm, say, 2000? 2500? A level that's as rarely attained as 500 used to be.

Ideas?

Note: This is a notion that's been kicking around in the back of my head since S1, but back then, almost nobody would let favour build up that much -- people rarely even got to a blessing because they needed to use their favour to keep playing. There was no point asking for a feature hardly anyone would be able to use. Now, though... it's a hole that could be filled in -- interestingly.

Replies:

Re: Further uses for favour

Posted on: October 24 2009 @ 05:52 PM
By: K.K.+Victoria

Content:

I think that the Watcher knows about a lot of things that most others do not. Misery Guts states that there are cameras that not even the Watcher has access to.

Though, maybe he's too arrogant, and she's well aware of those cameras. Maybe some favor would grant you some information?

Those predatory eyes fix on you as she leans over the desk. Those red lips split, and you find you can only stare at those long, sharp fangs. "How about I give you a little hint, hm?" She inquires.

Hell, if it's telling you exactly where the drive is, (Not just where it isn't,)

Or giving you directions to a crate on your way back, it's fine.

The "The Crate is over there" From Misery Guts bothered me because it was just, 'Who's richer in cigarettes and wants to perpetuate their wealth?'

I don't mind if for a large amount of favor the Watcher lets you in on something, simply because you definitely had to suffer through to get to it.

Since you get cigarettes after a Drive Kill, it would've been easy for me to earn a lot of cash by going to Misery guts, throw a cigarette at him and find a crate. However, if it costs five hundred favor from The Watcher or something like that? It is quite impossible for me to get rich quick immediately after the kill through that sort of exploitation.

Another option, would be maybe getting blessed by the Watcher herself? Instead of getting a weapon or armor upgraded, why not get yourself blessed?

Creatures would cower in fear at your presence, and run in terror knowing that you are a favorite of Her, giving the effect of having a scary weapon and a monster repellent spray maybe? Might cost 1,000 favor or something, since it isn't just slapping on a couple strips of duct-tape to your crossbow or anything.

Posted on: October 25 2009 @ 12:31 PM
By: Reverb

Content:

"I smell Food.."

"Let's kill him!"

"No, wait.. isn't that the one She..?"

"Oh god, it is! Run! RUN!!!"

Posted on: October 25 2009 @ 04:18 PM
By: Pinche+Cabron

Content:

The amount of favor I accumulate has a lot to do with the character race I'm playing and the goals I've set out for that DK. If I'm playing a midget and going for a speed DK, I don't even bother trying to get a blessed weapon. It's a waste of time. However, when I'm playing a kitty and my goal is to earn req, I'm using favor to get off the failboat quite a bit (sometimes 2 or three resurrections) and I'm still getting surpluses of thousands of req. It's mighty tempting to poke people.

If there was going to be new things to spend favor on, I'd like to see ones that didn't have an effect on game play. Perhaps access to the Fail Boat's communications' center (essentially having a comm tent on the FB, but you'd spend favor rather than req) would be an addition that would promote more role play without unbalancing the game play.

If there was going to be something that changed game mechanics, I agree that it shouldn't be something like recharging a blessed weapon or armor, or getting both. I'd rather see something more subtle, like blessing your mount for improved travel rates. This would probably work something like White Spring Water, but over a longer duration (and probably much weaker).

Lastly, perhaps there could be a "super"resurrection that would essentially give you a new day. Something like this should cost dearly -- 1000 or 2000 favor is not out of the question.

Of course, if we were to ask The Watcher what should be done about all the surplus favor, I'm pretty sure her answer would be, "Fail less!"

Posted on: September 04 2010 @ 02:23 PM
By: NotAgain

Content:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I do not think that allowing re-blessing would be a good idea. That would dilute the value of having your armor or weapon blessed, and take away the interesting strategic decision about when to go for it.

I think that a re-blessing should be allowed... if you were unlucky enough to have it cursed the first time.

(Can you guess who's doing a Bastard and just discovered that it can be cursed? As though bastards ain't hard enough as it is...)

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=9733