Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 PvP
 |  Printable Version
hajen
 Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 03:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Moo, your second thought is correct!

PVP is strictly mano a mano (or womano a womano Big Grin ) no buffs

the rusty chainsaw does not help any extra with its scary buff.
the force field (with def: of 1) doesn't get mixed into the math either.

thats why a dedicated PVPer has the riot hammer (ATK:16) and SPS-2 armor (DEF:16); those are the best items with raw numbers, because thats all that counts once your pride or the gods don't allow you to use your buffs (forgot which text goes to which, this or master fight) during the fight.

edit: and there is no healing or grenades or anything during the fight; not even run away!
once you start the fight, someone will die; not even logging out will stop the outcome.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 04:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, hajen, you do get ciggy buffs, politics buffs, and racial buffs. And only the attacker does so, that's how I'm still able to PvP people with better items, health, and stats then myself.

But the big one, clan buffs, is no longer part of PvP. It used to be as can be seen from my old fight with the watcher.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Anonymous: Moo
 Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 06:02 PM UTC  

HOW do you defeat the watcher? I've been trying to figure it out and I've asked around but nobody will tell me how to do it...

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

You wait until I have five minutes spare to do some role-play with her, and lower her stats to a level that would be very, very hard to beat (as opposed to outright impossible).

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Friday, December 05 2008 @ 03:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Reading the thread on the chat display of player characteristics made me wonder whether a possible Season Two enhancement could include the ability to challenge someone to PvP on the spot, while they're still logged in. Say that I'm feeling feisty while chatting with hajen in IC, and decide (foolishly!) that I'd like to see whether I can beat her. Why couldn't I click on her name and let the Riot Hammers fly, right away?

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Saturday, December 06 2008 @ 05:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I second Hermein's suggestion--even though it means I'd probably spend all of my time on the bloody Failboat, because no one would be able to resist pouncing on a mouthy moderator.

After all, in real life, don't you ever walk up to someone and think, "I wish I had a weapon"?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, December 06 2008 @ 09:03 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Are you imagining a situation in which the player challenged would actually get to fight back? My guess is that would be pretty much impossible. You'd still be fighting a system-run version of the character.

(Note that just because you see a character's comment in a chat board, that doesn't mean the character is still there in the outpost, either. It's more likely that he/she moved on hours ago.)

And. If that click-and-fight facility were there, if you could start fights with players who are online, it would change the game. In a not very desirable direction... Do you really want an environment where you're at risk for PvP every minute you're playing? Would you ever dare to carry reqs on your person if you could get mugged anywhere, anytime? Nobody would want to leave PvP on.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Sunday, December 07 2008 @ 03:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Do you really want an environment where you're at risk for PvP every minute you're playing? Would you ever dare to carry reqs on your person if you could get mugged anywhere, anytime? Nobody would want to leave PvP on.

Actually, I do want that. Right now there are a few major PvP'ers who fight three or four times per game day and then hide on the Failboat or in guarded houses every time they log out. Some of them spend most of their time fighting Newbies, which just makes it worse. I'm not a hardcore PvP'er; mostly I started carrying the Riot Hammer because I was sick of being jumped every time I logged out (and I still think that Heidi's 2x2 bonus is worth having). But I have gotten tough enough that I can challenge some of the hardcore folks - it's just that I can't ever fight them.

I suppose you could achieve most of that goal by eliminating house guards and allowing people to be attacked even if they're on the boat. But I think it would be more fun if you didn't know when you were going to be attacked. And yes, I think it would still have to be player vs. system, since we don't have a way to have a live back-and-forth, at least not that I know of. . .

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply