Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Season Two: What I'm doing right now
 |  Printable Version
Bernard
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 12:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

@Rosin: Rice and butter! Stew! Bananas! All filling, cheap food.

(I hear ya, man - I was once so skint I lived on the free hot chocolate from the vending machine at work, for five days. Chose the extra-milky option. Result. Wink )

Have you seen the price of rice, man?

EDIT: And where the hell did you get free hot choc?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 01:01 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Government tech support. Cushy work if you can get it. Turn up at tennish, surf the Internet for eight hours, every now and then someone rings and says "Dan, can you fix my computer?"

Like being unemployed, 'cept wearing clothes. And being paid marginally more.

(and rice is still cheap enough to make it viable. If it's dear in your area, similar results can be had with pasta. You'll be undernourished, and you'll lose weight, so don't do it for too long if you can help it - but it'll fill your stomach and keep up morale)

(PS - rolling tobacco. Don't try to give up smoking while poor, it'll make you angry and twitchy and miserable. Switch to rolling your own instead, it's so much cheaper!)

(PPS - look up the lyrics to "No Pride" by Green Day. It's an important song for those realising that they're down on their luck. "Better swallow your pride, or you're gonna choke on it / better digest your values, 'cause they turn to shit / Honour's gonna knock you down, before your chance to stand up and fight / well I know I'm not the one, I've got no pride" and "Dignity's a landmine in the school of lost hope" and "I've panhandled for life, 'cause I'm not afraid to beg / hand me down your lost-and-founds of second-hand regret" are all sentiments to take to heart. You cannot eat your pride. It will not fill your belly. It is a useless emotion, and sooner or later you'll be forced to sell it if things get bad enough. Sell it while it's still worth something, and you'll make a profit on it. You can always buy it back later.)

(PPPS, most of this is directed @ anyone in hard times... Sell your shit. Even the stuff that dead people have given to you. It's just stuff, and you're taking up your life with cleaning it, looking after it, keeping it in good repair, worrying about it... it's costing you money, and it's costing you your heart. Do you use it every day? Does it bring happiness into your life, or is it just something that's sitting around gathering dust because you're too afraid to sell it? It'll be painful at the time, but afterwards, you'll be very glad you did it. Having fewer possessions makes you feel wonderful, and makes you want for less. There are lots of things that are painful and frightening at the time but that you wouldn't undo - being born is one of them. Don't be afraid.)

(PPPPS - do everything you can to keep your morale up. Remember, above all else, that adversity DOES NOT necessarily equal misery. There is ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYS, something to smile about.)

Profile Email Website
Bernard
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 01:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah, we gave up smoking when we knew the nipper was going to turn up, because we KNEW we would be poor. I suppose you just make changes where you can, when you can. We maintain a healthy alcoholism to make up for the highs associated with the evil weed.

Seriously now...

Look, if there's anything ANY of us who post on here can reasonably do, just let us know. We're all investing in the success of your efforts, some in financial ways, others in ways slightly more ephemeral. Some in ways which will entail you being our love-puppet. But we all wish for II and you to be successful.

Anyway, as a final note and when all is said and done.

I agree with you about stew being brilliant.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 02:44 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

You forgot one item in your list, Dan:

"Oops! I meant to give Dan a Christmas present, and I forgot. Thanks for reminding me! Done now. And Merry Christmas."

I bet there are others like me who would gladly kick in the price of, say, a paperback book or a box of chocolates... if they were reminded.

Maybe some of us players should go do a little bit of reminding. Each in our own inimitable style...

Profile Email
Rosin
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Whoops, realized how condescending that sounded. Right, I'll just say this, "Everybody donate to pick up my tab! I'll get you something cheap and probably entirely useless if you do!"

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 04:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Lost my job in october... looks like I might lose the house... but I'll be damned if I lose my escapist morale booster. *Digging in sofa for loose change as we speak*

~Tor

Actually...
I just had a thought-- could you set up a 'Money Box' in ImpCent that took Donator Points and paid out in Req? Or maybe just put it in the Hunter's lodge with the other Point Burners.. For that matter, Paying out in Donator Points wouldn't be bad either... Though I would suggest a lower payout threshold -say 100000

Profile Email
Hermein
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 04:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dammit man, somebody with your talents has got to be able to find a job to use those talents. This just isn't right.

How about a list of why you *are* donating?

a. Want to be in the top tier of donator points.
b. It would really suck (REALLY SUCK) if the Island went dark even for a while.
c. Dan seems like a nice guy, and he's put a lot of work into this silly game that we all spend so much time on (and get so much enjoyment out of). He shouldn't have to live on vending machine hot chocolate again.
d. Every little bit helps.
e. You'd buy him a beer if you lived around the corner from him. Probably more than one.
f. It's Christmas, fer cryin' out loud, even for those of us that don't give a rat's ass about Christmas.

Apropos of a. above, how about a Hall of Fame category for cumulative Donator Points? Yeah, it's the one stat you can buy your way into. It's about time we had one of those - seems very appropriate for the Midgets, anyway.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 05:04 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I agree -- a Hall of Fame listing for Donator Points would be a very good idea.

You could make being listed in it optional, via a player preference. And you wouldn't have to give the actual number of points; it could just be an ordered list, like Restorations. But it would work better if you gave the number of points.

What was that you were saying about pride, Dan? Don't be too proud to invoke the spirit of competitiveness in your players to work to your benefit. Something has to be done... if people will help you out to get bragging rights, hey, they're still helping you out, and that's what matters.

Edit: and as Tor just suggested (in clan hall) you could list only the top 20 or so. That way nobody would have to be embarrassed by being at the bottom, having contributed zero.

Profile Email
nereus
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 11:53 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

e) There seems little point in donating until Season Two is done, given that you're most likely gonna do another stats reset.

And
n) I was going to donate, but then you changed something and I didn't like how you changed it.

I already donated and was planning to donate more but... (see above)
And now it's -90% fun for me.
No fun for me, no cash for You, sorry.

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 01:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've forgotten which letter, but about...five of the options apply to me. Mostly cash-flow, excessive-number-of-presents and current-lack-of-a-way-to-get-money-into-the-internet problems.

Still, when the recession really starts to kick in, I'll be able to donate far more then before. (Yay for only country in the world not going into recession...As far as I know.)

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 04:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Perhaps Dan should sell Christmas tree ornaments, and display them in the common grounds until the first of the year...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 06:04 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I've put something in the Common Grounds... Dan can turn it into a feature if he likes, but until then... if you contribute to the upkeep of the Island by donating to Dan, go there and say so.

Now is not the time to modestly hide your light under a bushel! If you have given, say so. When people see others contributing, they often follow suit. It becomes a reminder for those who are able to follow your example.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Friday, December 19 2008 @ 06:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I've put something in the Common Grounds... Dan can turn it into a feature if he likes, but until then... if you contribute to the upkeep of the Island by donating to Dan, go there and say so.

Now is not the time to modestly hide your light under a bushel! If you have given, say so. When people see others contributing, they often follow suit. It becomes a reminder for those who are able to follow your example.

I've bobbed a note in the CDAG Massage (sic) of the Day as well. As many people as possible can see this, the better. Not the massage, obviously.

Profile Email
deadly dub
 Sunday, December 21 2008 @ 06:06 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Option z: I will donate 20 bucks, if my bank transfers the damn money on my paypal-account already! Well, until then: merry christmas!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, December 21 2008 @ 11:10 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Oh, you lot know how to come through for a frosty Caveman, don'tcha?

Mr. Green

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

WORK CONTINUES.

Adding to the to-do list, albeit this is a lower-priority one: make the Enquirer look less like a bag of shite. Rewrite the main site's default theme to use CSS rather than tables, for a far smaller file size and hopefully a performance increase. Sort out some stuff for you lot to spend your DP's on.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 22 2008 @ 12:32 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

How hard would a HoF list of Donator Points be, Dan?

Hermein's suggestion could really make a difference.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Monday, December 22 2008 @ 06:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Rewrite the main site's default theme to use CSS rather than tables, for a far smaller file size and hopefully a performance increase.

We'll be using Counter Strike Source to view Improbable Island? Well, that would be improbable indeed, wouldn't it?

(Just a joke, by the way. Need to be wary with the abbreviations around 'gamers' you know. But at least we're better than chavs.)

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Monday, December 22 2008 @ 11:30 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

In case you still need it (and who doesn't need money?) I've asked my fellow clannies to donate, via our Clan news. Hope it helps.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 22 2008 @ 12:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

How hard would a HoF list of Donator Points be, Dan?

Hermein's suggestion could really make a difference.

It'd take about fifteen minutes; there are reasons why I haven't done this.

Most donating players - at least, the ones who have told me about it - don't want their donation amounts made public. If a guy wants to be an anonymous benefactor, that's his right.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 22 2008 @ 11:22 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

All right... but what about the donors who would be pleased to be recognized for their contributions?

An opt-in player preference could easily take care of those who... don't want to be seen to be setting a good example. Wink

And yes, an opt-in preference would mean it wouldn't be statistically accurate -- there could be someone out there who would top the list if they only turned on their preference -- but then, neither is the cig list, which doesn't count any of the cigs stashed in vending machines. So what? The point of having the list is to show people that Donating to Dan is something that other people are, in fact, doing.

Which, I guarantee you, will prompt some to donate who otherwise would not.

And, you know, it just might happen to lead to a bit of beneficial competition, for lagniappe.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply