Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Test Server Feedback and a minor announcement
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:17 AM UTC (Read 18548 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, right now I want you to tell me what you think of the new Implants, and the core combat portion of the Stamina system. Go!

As for the announcement:

Some people like change, some people don't. It's becoming clear that S2 will be so utterly, massively different to S1 that it might alienate some long-term players. So, with this in mind, although when you go to www.improbableisland.com you'll be presented with the Season Two version of the game, Season One will remain open in its current form until there's no point in keeping it open any longer. Your current character will be preserved at seasonone.improbableisland.com, along with the current game as it stands now. Hope that clears some things up.

Right, feedback! GO!

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah, server go boom?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:43 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Most informative error message ever.

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry, I posted before I had done enough troubleshooting. Here's the problem; I have a character created and logged in, and I picked Tesla Frame as my implant. After reading the description I hit the "Get on with it" link, which is URL http://seasontwo.improbableisland.com/newday.php?continue=1&c=11-022823
and get no further response.

At first it looked as if the test server had fallen over, but I was able to reach it with telnet. I'm using an older Firefox; I'll see if I can dig up a different browser and try it that way.

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I've gotten as far as selecting the servo arms implant, and now it seems locked into a holding pattern. I tried stopping the load, and reloading the page, but it 's still stuck.

edit: http://seasontwo.improbableisland.com/newday.php?setspecialty=SR&c=11-025006

I'm also using Firefox, but it's current.

ok.. just tried closing the tab and reopening the login page. still won't load.

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 03:09 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yeah...I only made it to the implant stage...but I have to say, I like you're decision to put the Tesla and Servo available from the start. These I found were the least useful implant and the simplest to use, respectively. By the looks of things, they've both been changed a fair amount, but its a wise idea to make the implants that don't give you entertaining descriptors available from the start, since I've found them rather boring at higher Drive Kills when a main driving force is to see what zany gadgets get stuck in your noggin next.

EDIT: I'm using the latest Safari. Can't contact the server at all. Same problem as above.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

They're only there from the start so that I can test them.

Right, it appears I've overlooked something rather obvious in the Stamina system. I think there's little chance of it being fixed tonight, to be honest.

So, um... yeah. Welcome to the Test Server. Razz

Profile Email Website
Tor NaGoth
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 03:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Still damn glad to be here. I'll go ahead and shut down that tab, and try again this weekend.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 03:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey, if we can't kill the Drive, at least we can kill the Server Wink

Oh, one more datum: Safari reported the following after giving up:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 90 seconds exceeded in /home/improbab/public_html/seasontwo/modules/staminasystem/lib/lib.php on line 575

Profile Email
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 03:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In way over my head as regards PhP, but. . . from some sniffing it looks like the server is setting a cookie in order to keep track of the session. Once the problem occurs, you can't get any pages to load because that cookie is always being presented, and is causing the server to run into the problem again. Closing the browser clears the cookie (it has flags that seem to indicate that it should not be kept), and that lets you try to get in again, but once you log in again you hit the same step and trigger the problem.

Of course, if this is not useful, just tell me to go away for a while Wink

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 04:05 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Actually, the problem was here:

PHP Formatted Code
//
// PROCESS NEW DAY
// Updates Actions with new costs, strips buffs, and resets Stamina to the player's starting value.
//

function stamina_process_newday($userid = false) {
        global $session;

if ($userid === false) $userid = $session['user']['acctid'];

$actions = get_actions($userid);
        // debug("Debugging Actions");
        // debug($actions);
        foreach($actions AS $key => $values){
                $actid = action_id($key);
                // debug("Entering Foreach loop");
                while ($values['timestoday'] >= $values['timesforreduction']) {
                        // debug("Now inside while loop");
                        $values['timestoday'] -= $values['timesforreduction'];
                        $values['cost'] -= $values['reduction'];
                        if ($values['cost'] < $values['mincost']) {
                                $values['cost'] = $values['mincost'];
                        };
                };
                set_action($actid, $values['cost'], 1, $userid);
                set_action($actid, $values['timestoday'], 2, $userid);
        };

stamina_strip_all_buffs($userid);

$startingstamina = get_module_pref("daystamina","staminasystem",$userid);
        set_module_pref("stamina",$startingstamina,"staminasystem",$userid);

return true;
}

Something I'd overlooked was that in my install_action function, only the current users of the game would get their action installed. So, there were no values in the database that would end up as $values['timestoday'] and $values['timesforreduction']. So, hello infinite loop!

I fixed the problem by writing a very hasty stamina_newuser function, which inserted the correct values into the database for a new user. It's a little hacky, but I'll clean it up later on.

In other news, my initial estimate of the scope of this problem was pessimistic. You should be able to log in now.

Profile Email Website
TheMuffinMan
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 04:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I encountered the same implant problem after picking the chem pack, but I hit the back button right away and the implant picking screen came up. Then, I chose the servo arms, and it let me through.

EDIT: It's possible that I did it right as CMJ updated it I suppose. It was one minute before newday.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 04:09 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yeah, I re-uploaded the fixed files in between you picking Implants.

You might wanna test the Chemical Pack implant. I'm quite proud of that one. Smile

EDIT: Yes, it's just as possible as the possibility that you were editing your post as I was typing this one.

Profile Email Website
TheMuffinMan
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 04:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Alright, I was fighting and this is my fifth fight I believe. I've clicked 'fight' two times when I see that turns have shown up under my name. And that I had one million of them. I did not click to go on, and on the bottom of my screen was this text: "Module staminasystem was not found in the modules directory."

Here is a screenshot of it.

EDIT: I finally hit 'fight' again and it went away. It still surprised me to see all those turns, do you think I could have them in season one? :3

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 04:51 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I was probably updating the Stamina system in between your fights.

Profile Email Website
Tor NaGoth
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 06:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I can't be certain, but it seemed like the exhaustion buff kicked in after the first round during my two dojo fights. either that, or you've got a pretty hefty injury de-buff going on.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 11:23 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

this might be a silly question, but will the test server wipe before getting official? If yes, then i will be trying it out.
Incase someone recognize me i was playing quite a lott on the pilot, so much that i forced myself to skip season 1 so i could have time to study instead, but with that coming to its end, i feel like getting back to the island.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 03:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A summary of things I've seen myself, or that have been reported in comments on the server, to avoid everyone reporting the same thing Wink

Stamina
The following events aren't hooked into the Stamina system yet:

Crazy Audrey's kittens (either win or lose)
Flawless Victory
Energy Drink (grants travel turns, does not affect Stamina)
'overnight' interest at the Bank

There are some things about Stamina that may suprise you:

It applies in the Dojo and in PvP, and fighting there costs Stamina points
The costs associated with each Jungle combat option (Trouble, Big, Easy, etc.) apply even if you receive an Improbable Event (CMJ may change this)
The FailBoat does not reset your Stamina, since it does not grant a New Day; it also does not reset HP for the same reason
You can be sent to the FailBoat for running your Stamina deep into the red

Implants
They're different - and that's cool. Keep fighting and you'll see how they work.
FoilWench does not seem to be able to affect them yet, unless it's happening behind the scenes - I couldn't tell.

Miscellaneous
You'll see a lot of the Blonde Heiress, and she's really tough to beat.
You'll get a ton of cigs.
The New Day routine may not reset Stamina (it worked for me, but didn't for at least one other tester).

That's everything I've collected so far. Everybody should go have a crack at the server, it's an interesting set of changes. So far, Hermein likes it. . .

Profile Email
Hermein
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 05:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've had enough fights with the Chemical Pack implant now that I feel like I'm getting a sense of how it works. I think that it affects combat in a very different way than before, since you have to watch the available points level during the fight to see if you'll get to use it. I suspect that I'll be doing a lot less To the Death fighting.

I also had an idea for the 'backstory' on the implant; that it is set up to collect some of the excess hormones produced during fighting and then release them on command. You have to fight for a while in order to fill the internal storage before there's anything to be used. As you get used to it, the system is able to gather the chemicals more quickly (I think?) and store more of them. Does that describe how it's supposed to work?

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Thursday, January 08 2009 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"of so much adrenaline are showing. Better get yourself to a hospital tent, and quickly.

You look up at the position of the sun in the sky, and realise you've lost 2 turns wandering around on the FailBoat!"

One might replace that with a stamina value, since it didn't substract anything.

What about a wiki page for at least the bugs?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply