Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Where are you, politically?
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 12:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As an exercise, I've just taken this survey through the eyes of Cantankerous Biggs, taking nationality to be Squatholian and law to mean "What the Skronkys say."

"The most important thing for children to learn is to accept discipline."? The most important thing for children to learn is how to fleece an unconscious contestent for their wallet in under 30 seconds!

It took a lot of effort in explaining to him what some of the questions meant, but we got there in the end between us. Here are the results.

Economic: 7.38
Social: 2.41

Profile Email
Anonymous: A Random Contestant
 Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 06:27 PM UTC  

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Well well well. It turns out that there was no danger of starting bitter arguments on political lines after all. Instead we're all agreeing about what a rubbish survey this was. Although it did seem to put most of us more or less where we expected to be.

Seems like you're all agreeing that the wording of some of the questions were rubbish.

Quote by: Adder+Moray

I'm fairly sure that;s what the question was about. Whether or not that is an advantage.

Seems like it the question's trying to ask is it overall advantageous to have a one-party state compared with the advantages of a two or ten-party state. Or whether the speed of decisions in a one-party state are worth the mistakes they'd make with no other input. Two very different wordings of the questions coming to the same thing. But the original statement needs a makeover.

-4.35, -2.81

Bakemaster
 Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 07:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

People who are complaining that this is a crappy survey are missing the point: It's not a survey at all. It's a quiz. There's a pretty significant difference.

Yes, the questions are worded in controversial or contentious ways. That's intentional. If the answers were "right" or "wrong" they would serve no purpose. The fact that you see some questions as having "obvious" answers probably means that those questions are very good indicators of your political beliefs.

In the end, their scale is one that they came up with, and it doesn't jive with a lot of people's personal scales. An American living in Boston is going to have a radically different idea of what "centrist" is than an American living in Greensboro, and someone living in the UK likely won't agree with either of them. Our personal scales are colored by our political and social contexts. That's why they provide some reference points in the form of famous historical figures.

And as several of us have mentioned in the thread already, our scores change over time. Some issues become more or less important than they used to be. Some issues take on different implications at different times. This political quiz gives you a pretty good rough idea of where you live, politically, if you take it a few times over a period, but it's no laser caliper.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Jon Bishop
 Monday, April 26 2010 @ 03:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Let me see here....this is what I got.

Left/Right -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -3.95

Profile Email
Skidge
 Monday, April 26 2010 @ 02:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

ps; Skidge, could you let the Pedant take this survey? I'm intruiged. Mr. Green

Sarah (aka Pedant Skidge): Right, where is this thing...I CAN'T USE THAT. YOU'VE USED THAT. I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU'VE BEEN.
Me: Okay, Sarah, no problem, how about I just read you the questions?
Sarah: *suspicious look* Maybe...
Me: Okay! Um, let's see, *clicks*
Sarah: Your mousepad is crooked.
Me: ...yes?
Sarah: I can't let you answer questions with a crooked mousepad.*frets*
Me: *straightens mousepad* Okay, so first question...*looks around*

There is the sound of dishes being washed in the next room.

Me: Sarah?
Sarah: *from the next room* HOW YOU CAN LIVE LIKE THIS IS BEYOND ME.
Me: ...I did the dishes...
Sarah: YOU DIDNT' DO THEM RIGHT.
Me: Oh, never mind. *goes to help with the dishes*

Profile Email
g_rock
 Monday, April 26 2010 @ 03:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Interesting comment there g_rock. Could you expand on it? I'm a mathematician, and we routinely use the word "Always". We even have a special symbol for it (an upsidedown capital A). I say this not to pick pedantic holes in what you say, you were clearly refering to the social sciences arena, not maths. More to illustrate that I'm rather naive on such matters, and having them clarified would be interesting to me. How do these words skew results?

Apologies for being unclear. Yes, in the so-called hard sciences, 'Always' and 'Never' are perfectly acceptable. As in, the answer is ALWAYS 42, Pi is ALWAYS = root(a^2 +b^2), Fermat ought NEVER be allowed into a nightclub, else he'll ALWAYS start a fight. (cheeky bastard)

However, in the context of this quiz/survey, always and never statements are a great way to polarize the results. If, for example, I believe that something should happen, say, seldom or frequently, but not always or never, it forces the answer to a farther extreme than the quiz-taker's true opinion. It would, I submit, be more appropriate in the context of a True/False quiz, rather than a rating-scale. As in:

(forgive me, I don't have the questions up in front of me right now)

Marijuana should Always be legal: True( ) False( )
makes sense to me, because it's a yes/no question

Rather than
Marijuana should be legal: Never( ) Rarely( ) Usually( ) Always( )

This allows me to decide how far I think this should go, based on my own opinions on whether there are circumstances that affect the outcome.

Profile Email
Binjali
 Monday, April 26 2010 @ 10:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

"Astrology accurately explains many things."

This question doesn't belong on this test. Whether or not I believe in astrology has nothing to do with my political beliefs, despite certain stereotypes. This isn't the only question on here that makes me wonder what assumptions the writers are making.

"Some people are naturally unlucky."

Like this one. I can make assumptions about what they're going to conclude from my answer to this, but my answer will be about whether I believe in some flavor of fate or not, basically. Which again...has nothing to do with my political beliefs.

Granted, if I believe that some people are naturally unlucky, I may also believe that society should help those genetically challenged people who do not have the luck gene. Or I may think that cursed individuals should be killed before they reproduce. Or it might not affect my political opinions at all. It's a strange question.

All that being said, apparently overall it isn't a terrible test, since it put me pretty much exactly where I expected to be- Economic Left/Right: -5.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13. Middle of the green square.

On a far more important subject, I am unaffiliated. ALL cheese is delicious, I refuse to pick a side!

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, April 27 2010 @ 07:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here is the graph again, updated from the last one.

Presented to you, as always, by Cousjava of the Cranberries sect of Wenslydale Tyromancers.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Syd Lexic
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 05:00 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Agreed at the occasional vagueness of the questions... Some of them, my answer would be vastly different depending on what they mean...

In any case, for what it's worth...

Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Profile Email
Beeker
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Apparently I'm way the heck in the lower left corner. Somewhere.

That does not match my image of myself. Thus, the quiz is wrong! I proclaim the wrongness of this quiz!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply