Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 A Conspiracy of Players
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 01:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OK. I give in. Where on the Island was that?

Profile Email
Dulcibella
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 03:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've only gotten so far as to set up an account, but inspiration has not yet struck. (That and I've yet to see a titan, so there's not much to report.)

I do like the idea of II trivia ads as a metagame. I'm sure there are also prank/joke avenues to be explored. And accumulating donor points is all well and good, but I'm intrigued by the visual power of the adspace. Why couldn't it be part of the game, after all?

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 10:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It was the AAA, or my name isn't the Raven Reverb.

Oh, wait, it isn't.

It was still the AAA though. Spiral staircase, locked filing cabinet, coffee maker, bulletin board.

edit->And it'd be smart to prepare Titan warnings in advance, so you only have to fill in the details. The add provided by Sessine can be used as a format base, just erase the content Smile

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 12:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

It was the AAA, or my name isn't the Raven Reverb.

Oh, wait, it isn't.

It was still the AAA though. Spiral staircase, locked filing cabinet, coffee maker, bulletin board.

Yup. Thanks, O Reverberant Raven. I was beginning to think nobody noticed.

"Visit Ashtu's Anarchy Annex, just south of Kittania"

Thank you.

Profile Email
Dulcibella
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 04:19 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Okay, now I'm just having fun...

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 06:17 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine I'm doing this instead of advertising the Island directly on other sites using the ad graphics Dan so kindly supplied, because I figure he's way better than I would be at targeting ads to pull in the kind of players we'd like to have.

Hell, if you guys wanna do that instead, that's cool with me. Actually that'd be fantastic. Use your referral link if you like (remember you'll get a Donator Point every time one of your referred players gets a New Day, and you'll get a bonus once they hit lv15 too). When it comes to where's a good place to advertise, pretty much any webcomic is okay - just stay away from sites like 4chan, political blogs and (most) video game orientated sites, and we'll be fine. Big Grin

Honestly that'd probably be more useful than advertising on the site, since then the money goes straight to its intended purpose.

(EDIT - also, using your money to advertise for players with your referral link will probably get you more points in the long run than had you given it to me outright)

Profile Email Website
Cousjava
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 08:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've refered two players, and I haven't got any donator points from them.

EDIT: Just been to the Hunter's Lodge, checked the refferals thing, and I discovered my mistake. When refering, I'd put the address as being http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?refer=cousjava, when in fact it should have been http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Cousjava, so I didn't get my points because I'd lengthened the address. The two players I refered were Rothot and The Proffessor, by the way. Can anything still be done? Or do I just have to make sure I get the address right next time, in the meantime missing out on the vast amounts of donator points I could have had otherwise.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Katt
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 08:55 PM UTC  

*can personally vouch for the effectiveness of advertising on webcomic pages, that's how she got here, after all*

Ashtu
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 11:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

......probably be more useful than advertising on the site, since then the money goes straight to its intended purpose.......

Okay, a question, 'cause I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing - I think we're discussing two different scenarios here:

Scenario one: post ads to lots of select sites, every time someone clicks through, money goes into the Island coffers. Use your referral link with the ad (www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=_your_island_name_) and you also get personal donator points.

Scenario two: post humorous, practical joke, Island announcement ads on improbableisland.com only, get lots of personal satisfaction, but very little money into the coffers, and most likely no donator points.

CMJ, is this a fair assessment? Or am I still confused? (not unusual)

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 11:44 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Ashtu

Quote by: CavemanJoe

......probably be more useful than advertising on the site, since then the money goes straight to its intended purpose.......

Scenario one: post ads to lots of select sites, every time someone clicks through, money goes into the Island coffers. Use your referral link with the ad (www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=_your_island_name_) and you also get personal donator points.

Not quite. More like...

Post ads to select sites using CMJ-approved graphics. No money goes to CMJ no matter how much clicking goes on. Your money goes to the owners of the sites your ads are displayed on. (And also to Project Wonderful.)

However, some people may click on your ads and sign up to play Improbable Island. If they hang around the place long enough to get addicted, and the link they followed to get here was your referral link, you get donator points. This supplements the advertising CMJ himself will be doing, saves him money he would otherwise have to spend, and is therefore, in effect, a direct contribution to the Island.

Scenario two: post humorous, practical joke, Island announcement ads on improbableisland.com only, get lots of personal satisfaction, but very little money into the coffers, and most likely no donator points.
Yup, you got it... more or less. When you post an ad on improbableisland.com, 75% of the money goes to CMJ, 25% to Project Wonderful. CMJ can then use that money to run his own advertising campaign for the Island.

Both are good ideas. Which one you choose depends on what you want to accomplish.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 12:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

By the way Ashtu, a word in your shell like if I may,
*looks round and drops voice*
word on the street is...someone's watching you...
*nods earnestly.*

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 02:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

By the way Ashtu, a word in your shell like if I may,
*looks round and drops voice*
word on the street is...someone's watching you...
*nods earnestly.*

Yeah.
I know.
That's why I keep moving.
Thanks.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Pod
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 05:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I love the ads, particularly the idea of using them for in-game purposes. I even clicked through to a webcomic I already knew I didn't like, just to thank the artist for advertising on II.

Can we get the ads to open their targets in a new tab/window? That's the kind of behavior I've come to expect from other banner ads, so it's a little unsettling to lose my II window every time (because I always forget to right-click).

Profile Email
Anonymous: Guessed
 Friday, May 07 2010 @ 01:55 AM UTC  

I got a bit carried away ...only to discover you can't read this much text at 160x600.

Back to the drawing board.

Hairy Mary
 Friday, May 07 2010 @ 02:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What a shame, that's rather amusing. Poor Dr Vlad will have to wait a little longer before achieveing fame as a doctor.

Although he is already quite well known for something else...

Big Grin

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, May 08 2010 @ 06:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Pod

I love the ads, particularly the idea of using them for in-game purposes. I even clicked through to a webcomic I already knew I didn't like, just to thank the artist for advertising on II.

Are you talking about the Least I Could Do advertisement? I thought that seemed out of place after all the ones by us players thanking CMJ. I absolutely dislike LICD, but I love the other comic by the same two guys, Looking For Group. But that was cool how they advertised here--how did that come about? Are one of the two guys regular players of II? Razz

Profile Email
Anonymous: Guest-Person
 Wednesday, June 16 2010 @ 11:19 PM UTC  

The only problem with advertising on other sites is that it drives up prices if CMJ also has a Wonderful bid. Which sites have II ads in the bidding queue, so we can avoid them?

Count Sessine
 Thursday, June 17 2010 @ 01:23 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

My tight budget solved that problem! I set up a very low-cost campaign designed to scurry around and take advantage of the many small web-comic sites where advertising is free or at most a few pennies a day.

I ran the campaign for roughly a month, and it performed, mn... respectably, averaging about a nickel a click and a dollar per signed-up Rookie. Most of whom turned out to be tire-kickers who sampled the game for a bit then wandered away. But hey, that's how advertising works. We seem to have retained a handful.

Now that CMJ's PayPal difficulties seem to be over (touch wood!), I'm not running that mini-campaign any more. My money is more effective if I give it directly to CMJ, and let him combine my dollars with everyone else's to go after the higher-priced sites like MSPaint Adventures that yield hundreds of clicks per day.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.30 seconds
New Topic Post Reply