Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 When you talk to people about the Island...
 |  Printable Version
Swede
 Wednesday, December 29 2010 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I tell them it is a text adventure game.
Most stop questioning then as they seemingly find only text boring.

Profile Email
Omega
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"What's that?"
"A Text Adventure game."
"A text adventure...game?"
"Yes. Like Final Fantasy, only with no graphics."
"Final Fantasy?"
"World of Warcraft."
"Oh. How can you play that?! You're a crazy person!"

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Ochris
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 03:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Ashtu

Well, first I ask if they know what the Internet is.*
If I get a yes, I ask if they've heard of World of Warcraft.
If they still say yes, I say it's kinda like that, but with no pictures, just text.

Up until two years ago, I didn't have any friends who had ever played D&D, and knew one girl that I was friendly with who would play WOW with her long distance boyfriend (it was kind of romantic, in a nerdy way, hearing her talk about whatever the hell goes on in that game on her headset... "agh! no! he's behind you!" or something like that.) I didn't really know any gamers; most of my friends won't even play snes with me unless its super mario bros. and/or they're drunk.

So, I actually have only told two "real life" people that I play an online text-based rp game who didn't give me this face:
Eek! (and one of those two people has a brother who plays ii)

Really. And when my friends find out that I play online role-playing, generally their next question is either "LARPing!?" (if they even know what that is) or "Oh my god, you're talking to strangers online, aren't you?" (Seriously, who are they, my MOM? Gawd.)

And if/when I do try to explain it, I try to tell them that its about a lighthearted dystopian future, and you play a character who has been put unwillingly on a reality tv show about a crazy slapstick war. And then if I mention that I'm in a clan, they generally freak out like I just said I'm in some sort of nerdy soul-sucking cult or something (watch out, DICE is going to get youu), so I've taken to calling it a "guild" because I think thats a more recognizable geek term.

Anyway, the takeaway: I generally don't tell people about it, because for some reason, people don't think that I would RP in any context. And then occasionally they judge me. I need geekier friends.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 06:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ochris

"Oh my god, you're talking to strangers online, aren't you?"

OH MY GOD
CALL THE INTERNET POLICE
THERE ARE STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 07:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"It's an MMO."

and

"It's like equal parts Monty Python's Flying Circus and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy with a little bit of 1984 thrown in for good measure."

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Silcatra
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 07:46 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I don't tell people about the Island too often, not because I'm ashamed of my online gaming habits but because I know I'd either see their eyes glaze over or when they went to check it out, they'd find some part of it or other offensive.

I've told two people about the Island - one because I was trying to get back into a roleplaying forum that I just don't seem to be able to write in anymore (it was good when it was good, but mod politics just made everything bad) and he asked where I had been, and one because I enjoy writing with him and thought he would like it.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 08:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Silcatra

and one because I enjoy writing with him and thought he would like it.

Wonder who that could be.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

"Oh my god, you're talking to strangers online, aren't you?"

OH MY GOD
CALL THE INTERNET POLICE
THERE ARE STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET

Not yet. CMJ hasn't released them yet. Mr. Green

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 02:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well...

Eyes glazed over? I'd be glad. The part "text browser game" they got, as most had contact with dime-a-dozen RTS games, then I talked "but not actually, you have a char like in WOW and are not a nation or a sodden planet"... People do chalk me up as the sort who'd play that. Then, once I get to explain "Island" and "fight your tongue", and in the one, two cases I got to show the homepage, the responses consisted generally of

everyone:
What the hell is wrong with you.

Though that's mostly because of the language barrier... so I too go with "well, a text game", if I'm caught at it.

Profile Email
Miss Hellebore
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 06:28 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

And then if I mention that I'm in a clan, they generally freak out like I just said I'm in some sort of nerdy soul-sucking cult or something (watch out, DICE is going to get youu), so I've taken to calling it a "guild" because I think thats a more recognizable geek term.

I told my housemate that I was in the GERMan clan. You can pretty much guess for yourselves the kind of jokes she made. ಠ_ಠ

Profile Email
Kuroiten
 Thursday, December 30 2010 @ 11:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

"Okay, have you read any Douglas Adams? No? I'll have to start from the beginning, then. Imagine a device that makes even the most ridiculous things not only possible, but probable. This is the Improbability Drive. It is the villian. For reasons we shall not discuss, fighting it has been turned into a reality TV-show personally managed by a woman known only as the Watcher. Your role in this whole mess is to take down the Drive, arming yourself using currency you gather by defeating the Drive's bizzare side-effects, including but not limited to cognizant household appliances, pieces of your own anatomy, and various historical figures. You start human, but you might not end that way. There are Kittymorphs (anthropomorphic cats), Zombies, Midgets (capital "m", very important distinction; midgets ask you the time, Midgets beat you about the shins and try to steal your watch, but I digress!), Mutants, Robots, and Jokers. Oh, Jokers. Take the Mad Hatter, make him crazier, and give him the power to affect probability. That would be a Joker. The main reason you want to play (at least, the main reason I play) is because of the diverse community tied to it. Since the game's text-based (I did mention that, didn't I?), it takes a good author to make it believable and enjoyable, and believe me when I say there are a LOT of good authors there."

If by this point the person has not stopped me: "Here's the URL, read the description, try it out."

Judging by the chaos, I've been here already.

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Friday, December 31 2010 @ 01:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here's the other perspective:

I found out about the game from a link by the brother of the programmer of Dwarf Fortress on a forum thread for that game where people were discussing the militant anti-smoking attitude of non-smokers. All it took was to read the front page in order to get into it. Maybe you needn't talk to people about the Island, and whenever you are asked what you do for a living, just show them the log-in page on your smartphone or iProduct or what have you.

Wait, does this mean ThreeToe plays here? Eek!

Profile Email
NotAgain
 Friday, December 31 2010 @ 07:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Talking of DF, that's what I mention to those of my friends who're 'puta literate. "You know DF? Well, as DF is to Settlers, that's what II is to WoW" They generally just roll their eyes and tell me to trade in my good ol' TTY for a more modern gfx card.

And my friends & family who aren't puta nerds? Well.... they already know more than they want to about the place. Rolling Eyes

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Sunday, January 02 2011 @ 06:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ochris And then if I mention that I'm in a clan, they generally freak out like I just said I'm in some sort of nerdy soul-sucking cult or something (watch out, DICE is going to get youu), so I've taken to calling it a "guild" because I think thats a more recognizable geek term.[/p]

**considers for a moment who is actually in DICE and starts making herself a tinfoil hat**

Or maybe that should be a breastplate...

Question: Where does one suck one's soul from?

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Pod
 Sunday, January 02 2011 @ 06:54 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

The ear, I think. Isn't it through the ear?

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Monday, January 03 2011 @ 02:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Pod

The ear, I think. Isn't it through the ear?

Or maybe through the nose...

Why not just cover yourself in tinfoil. It'd be a good party conversation.

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Tuesday, January 04 2011 @ 10:22 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I used to try and get my friends to play. I managed to get one hooked up, and very glad there is someone that doesn't get that glazed look when I start ranting about II. Not to mention the fun we have actually playing, making up plots and dwellings.
I gave up trying to convert others, in the meantime. And they know I'm playing, and what, and what it's like, and they know better than to ask me about it. But when I was still trying, it would go like this:

Me: "I found this awesome game! It's funny! It's ridiculous! It's Douglas Adams, and Monty Python, and so much more! Our kind of sense of humor! It's a text based adventure game! Awesome! No pictures, see! Only text! And you get to write a character! And the stories!" *

Friend: "Mmmmnh? That kind of game I was playing aaaages ago? You discovered this only now? Pfft."; Me: "Ow, c'mon, come join!"; Friend: "I gave that up aaaages ago, don't have time to waste on games anymore. Pfft. We're all grown up now, in case you didn't notice" (eyeroll on my part)
or: "Oh, like WOW?" Me: "No, not like WOW, much better!"**; Friend: "Mnhh-huh."(eyes glaze over)

If I didn't get any of those, but a even remotely interested "Mnnnh?", I would embark in a frantic retelling of the best bits of RP I've been involved in, and describing some monsters (usually the Pope and Freud are huge hits, for some reason, though some do find the Urge to Retire to be better). Then their eyes get that glazed look and I give up.

Remarkably enough, my mother, who started actually using a computer and figuring out a bit about the mighty and scary internet less than a year ago, got it more than most of my friends. Even came out with a valid plot idea for my character and enjoys the stories I tell her about***, even asks me from time to time what my character's been up to. But she's as addicted to reading and stories as I am, and also a huge SF and fantasy fan, so that would be an explanation.

* Yes, all those exclamation marks were there, I swear.
** Never played WOW, I have a friend who's hooked, though, so I know about it, of course.
*** Shamefully admit to censor parts of those, the more ... rude bits.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Temper
 Tuesday, January 04 2011 @ 10:52 AM UTC  

Murrr.... I don't talk about it at all, really. Half because I'm really, really bad at explaining things, and half because... Well, just because my friends are of the "glazed-over look" variety. On another note, I did try to explain it once. All I could come up with was, "Well, the people here don't get tired of my puns. At least, they don't say anything about it (For which I love you all)." I think that may have scared my friend away though. I dunno.

My parents do know that I play II though. They think of it as an unhealthy addiction.

Cousjava
 Tuesday, January 04 2011 @ 11:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Friends...hmm...an intresting occurence of altruism and positive recipocity, which I have not encountered. Among my...acquaintances...when I mention anything like this, they laugh at me for playing text-based games. Brings up an intresting question: what is more geeky, playing old games and text-based games because they are all your computer can manage, or buying the latest computer so you can play the latest verion of GTA?

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Mercury
 Tuesday, January 04 2011 @ 01:20 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

If my knowledge of this particular practice is accurate, and I can tell you for a fact it is, you don't have to worry about that particular circumstance. Women evolved it away a rather staggering number of years ago while the men were out hunting to keep everybody fed, and thereby alive. There's a joke in here somewhere about relationships, with women and men and something about the loss of one's soul to another, but frankly, it's been done, and I'm sure the women who actually seem to think it's a good idea to talk to me are tired of these jokes anyway.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply