Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Horatio's tea time
 |  Printable Version
Chimental
 Saturday, April 02 2011 @ 04:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The day is dark. The rain heavy. The whiff of ozone in the air. It's nearby. They can feel it.

The 'Veterans' of the group lead the search, the newcomers tailing quickly behind.

At least the dozens eyes scan the dark forest, while a few look to the skies. It flew, one had said before a similar search had ended. They wouldn't put it past it.

Leaves russel in the pitch black, causing the entire party to stop dead in their tracks, breaths held.

Suddenly, lightning arced from the dark recesses of the woods.

They found it.

Stick to the plan, the leader roared as one soldier dashed to the hulking metal monster, his speed increasing with each step. Standstill. The blur races around the behemoth, but not attacking it head on.

To fight this Beast and survive, you must just as unpredictable as the Beast itself.

The Beast's lenses attempt to focus on the blur, not paying attention to what's happening above it.

A mass of tentacles leaps from her perch, plummeting onto the Beast's back. Tendrils of muscle latch onto one of the poles containing the electrodes. The mutant pulls, bending the pole at an angle, cutting off the circuit. Arcs of lightning spat out the Beast's back, but it couldn't be directed to them anymore. They hoped.

The blur is beginning to run out of energy, so the next phase beginning. The smallest soldier speeds to the Beast. Ozone filled the air once more. It was about to the attack! Get back here you fool! I can do it, she screams. She zooms to the being of steel and chaos, getting up into the computer's camera's. Zap.

The monstrosity rears back, the wave of chaos just missing the small one with the deathwish, who quickly ducks into the bushes for safety.

The Beast was blinded, if only for a few precious seconds. Now.

The mutant leapt off the Beast's back it engulfed by a sea of flames. Whoomph. The fire won't last long in the rain. The soldiers charge, almost looking frantic.

Bony hands scrape at the hide.

A flash of red turns a steel plate into butter, melting due to the nearby fire.

Metal meets metal as sharp robot teeth chew on the Beast's skin and innards.

A blunt stone collides with the Beast's hide, bending metal and cracking the circuits inside. The Beast hisses in pain. This was it. The part no one can prepare for.

The soldiers quickly disperse, hoping to find cover from what was to occur. Some went to the skies, others went for cover behind the trees, one veteran shielded the smaller ones with his own body.

The blast was deafening.

Seconds ticked by like hours. No one dared to open their eyes, lest they be melted or turned into flying eggs. One brave soul pries one eye open. It's gone, she reassures the group. With a groan of pain, the group picks themselves up and take count of those around.

Skin burnt, muscles torn, a new scar on one's arm, someone's undead. All part of the job.

But they know.

They know it's not over.

Not by a long shot.

And the hunt begins once more.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, April 02 2011 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Chim, well written.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, April 02 2011 @ 10:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

....they know.
They know it's not over.
Not by a long shot.

Ladies and gentlemen.
The Chimental.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Wolfgang
 Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 12:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

That Was Brilliant Chim. Well Written.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 05:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

....they know.
They know it's not over.
Not by a long shot.

Ladies and gentlemen.
The Chimental.

Warning: Pack a lunch if you plan on clicking that link.

It's almost as bad as trying to map Dunbernarding...

edit: Btw, post was awesome, Chim Mr. Green

OT: Dave, really...well, having 137 DKs so far, there comes a point where it's Just Another DK....so for Dave it's really just "Alright, time to start the show over" (though sometimes I do imagine him bringing snacks and refreshments to the Lab...and there's the thing with his Century, I'm pretty sure I posted it in the Wiki somewhere. If not, I can find my log and post it up.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 06:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

OT: Dave, really...well, having 137 DKs so far, there comes a point where it's Just Another DK....so for Dave it's really just "Alright, time to start the show over" (though sometimes I do imagine him bringing snacks and refreshments to the Lab...and there's the thing with his Century, I'm pretty sure I posted it in the Wiki somewhere. If not, I can find my log and post it up.

Story time, please!

More on-topic. The tea metaphor doesn't appeal to me, nor does the nickname. I simply kill the Drive. Frankly, it's not much of a spoiler since any rookie looking at a bio can figure it out.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Signus
 Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 06:50 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I rather like the metaphor. It fits well with the tone of the island and helps prevent spoilers. But I take it as just that: a metaphor.

Signus has a burning envy for the Drive and can't help but attack it. Besides, isn't the drive supposed to be totally vicious and unreasonable in canon?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 09:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

{awesomeness}
Quote by: Ashtu
Ladies and gentlemen.
The Chimental.
Warning: Pack a lunch if you plan on clicking that link.

It's almost as bad as trying to map Dunbernarding...
Just a lunch?

Ahem. On topic. Yes, the nickname and the euphemism amuse me. But I vote for them as just that, not as accurate descriptions of what happens). I know some people play it as a discussion, with or without tea and picnics and friendly chitchat and improbably burny fire. I'm in the it's a fight camp: CMJ has written a whole page of flavour text, and it even says in one of the RP guides "you cannot bargain with the Drive". It feels ... a little rude, somehow, to just ignore all that and substitute my own version without good reason - and (quite possibly due to lack of imagination) I don't have one.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Wolfgang
 Monday, April 04 2011 @ 02:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I Find all of this extraordinarily interesting, especially due to the number of people who use the metaphor/euphemism/nickname/etc. But who actually consider their character to fight the drive.

I Love Following the Canon and most have said, i really do. But i also like the idea of improbability. So far the Island is what we have made of it, through manipulation and personal (yet not ridiculous) interpretation of the Canon and everything within it. When i was first presented with the idea of "Tea Time" it... actually made wonderful sense. What could be more improbable than when your character goes for what 'should' be another useless battle to kill the drive, and in an odd turn of improbable events, you end up having tea and crumpets with the drive, discussing all matter of things?

Maybe i take the improbability idea a little to far, but when placed beside the existing Canon it... kinda makes sense. I think anyway.

I've only once had one of my characters actually sit with the drive and discuss things, but only after the drive started attacking him, saw that he was being all scared about it, and decided talking things out might be nice. My other character (My main i suppose?) has fought the drive numerous times and has also had the drive mess with his head.

I dunno. I just feel like the Drive is capable of so many things that to limit it to a predictable fight every time seems.... boring.
This is just how i see things though.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Monday, April 04 2011 @ 02:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Maybe the drive is trying to tell us, in its own way, that it wants to be friends, but ends up killing us instead

NEVER MIND, GOT ONE OF THOSE AROUND ALREADY

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, April 04 2011 @ 02:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Maybe the drive is trying to tell us, in its own way, that it wants to be friends, but ends up killing us instead

So what you're saying is that the Stranger is really Hora-

Quote by: Buddleia

Just a lunch?

Notice I said "Almost" as bad...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
A Bad Joker
 Monday, April 04 2011 @ 09:45 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: dizzyizzy

So what you're saying is that the Stranger is really Hora-

No no no oh no. I am not the Entwhistle, and Mr. Horatio is not me.
Not Improbable.
Strange not.
Strangely improbable.
Improbable strange.

We cannot be not.

I'm so, so lonely so

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Wednesday, April 13 2011 @ 04:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well, for a while it was just fighting the machine for Tahvohck. Nothing more, nothing less, just go into the lab and wail on some electronics. Then there was a period where he was fighting Horatio in a more humanoid form (and by that I mean trying to hit Horatio while Horatio was a smug bastard), and now he's progressed to mainly sparring with Horatio every few weeks. Once I stopping being lazy and actually feel like writing it out, he'll probably start posing questions to Horatio as well. While dodging Improbably Burny Fire.

Profile Email
Mr. Infrablack
 Thursday, May 26 2011 @ 04:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Story me definitely falls into category number three, as he gets along rather well with Horatio. This wasn't the case initially, which is how he got that scar on his jaw. Story me's also not to fond about people bragging about beating up the drive, since he's sympathetic to what he calls "Horatio's Unending Plight".

I think I can explain it better in character...

"So, you've found the drive and you're fighting it. It's a long, hard, knock down, drag out battle. Fire's blazing, your ZAPs are crackling, and you're wailing on it as hard as you can with your chainsaw. Eventually you win, though sometimes you lose through poor planning or sheer dumb luck. But you don't REALLY win. You NEVER really win. Because Horatio always picks himself up, flips you the bird, and makes a big explosion just to pith you off. You come to with The Watcher eating your grapes and start all over, sometimes as a new species. Second verse, same as the first.

But s'more than that. After all, every battle as at least two sides.

Have you ever ONCE stopped to wonder?

"What about Horatio?"

Just stop and think about it for once. While you're fighting for your life, HE'S fighting for HIS. Your weapons and your grenades do damage to him just as much as his hurt you. The insults you've hurled, the numerous times you've paralyzed him with a ZAP, and your unceasing determination to do it all over again just as soon as you get the chance.

But don't just think about yourself. Remember that you're not alone in this relentless struggle, that you are NOT the only soldier Horatio's fighting against. There are countless more just like you which he has to fight against, every single hour of every. Single. DAY. Unlike you, he doesn't GET the luxury of skipping out to The Prancing Spiderkitty to down a few pints on his quote unquote DOWN TIME. Horatio doesn't GET down time. The only time he gets is Time To Fight or Time For A Nice Cup Of Tea And A Pleasant Chat.

Honestly, which do YOU think HE prefers?

Poor bar stud doesn't even get a time card to punch..."

Do you want to remember me? Then don't look away...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply