Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 CavemanJoe is giving up smoking.
 |  Printable Version
Boudi
 Monday, August 01 2011 @ 07:52 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have always rather wondered about e-cigs. My father, you see, stopped smoking in order to get a motorcycle, a while back.

He smoked since he was 4. For 40-ish years.

(Main reason I've never picked one up)

He managed to quit, cold-turkey, for about-- 5 years (Him quitting was scary as hell, let me tell you. Pissing off a person who is quitting can be a stupid idea). The problem is, he had friends that smoked socially. The blokes that'll offer you a cig at a barbecue, you know?

So, I can say that you CAN do it! You have been making excellent progress, better than most long-term smokers. But I advise you beware of slipping back into "Just this one cig", in the future. It's easy to do, especially when you have smoked for so long. After a while, it seems like a petty one cig.

Nicotine gum can help. As can regular gum, as Matthew suggested. Exercise can, but it's more of an individual thing, I think. Depends on the condition of your lungs and if you're a masochist.

We're rooting for you!

Profile Email
Mongo
 Monday, August 01 2011 @ 09:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

YAY, CMJ--Good choice.

Another suggestion for whatever it's worth: Set aside the $ you would spend on cigs and save it for something you've always wanted. I don't know what today's equivalent would be, but for me it was a Colecovision, everything Sega put out, several Nintendos and a few Playstations. I think it will surprise you how fast it adds up if you tell yourself that you would blow it out in smoke anyhow.

This worked for me almost thirty years ago but I'm still afraid of cigarettes.

Best of luck with it!

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 01 2011 @ 09:45 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Mongo

YAY, CMJ--Good choice.

Another suggestion for whatever it's worth: Set aside the $ you would spend on cigs and save it for something you've always wanted. I don't know what today's equivalent would be, but for me it was a Colecovision, everything Sega put out, several Nintendos and a few Playstations. I think it will surprise you how fast it adds up if you tell yourself that you would blow it out in smoke anyhow.

This worked for me almost thirty years ago but I'm still afraid of cigarettes.

Best of luck with it!

Unfortunately I smoke rollies, so saving money isn't a factor. :-/

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 02 2011 @ 04:24 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

An update on the day.

I woke up this morning with the worst pair of panda-eyes I've ever had. Seriously, they were like proper bastard shiners - I actually recoiled when I looked in the mirror for the first time. I look like... well, like someone who's going through some nasty withdrawal.

I've installed a wee stopwatch widget on my phone - I'm using it to keep track of the last time I smoked a real tobacco cigarette. I just got to 5 hours, 20 minutes before having a crafty analogue (yes, that's what us dorks using electronic ciggies call real fags).

Tonight is my first coding night since deciding to quit, and it's probably gonna be a bitch. Tuesdays and Thursdays I usually stay up 'til around four or five, and the ritual of going outside to smoke gives me some time to think about what I'm going to do next. Some time with Leo and Stuart - Leo jumped onto my lap as I smoked, and his back reaches nearly to my neck. He's a BIG cat.

Tonight I do Contraptions and Contrivances, the bits of Dwellings that let you, the owner, program simple thingies. First up, since it's easiest and most fun, doing some graphics for the Items.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 03 2011 @ 04:13 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Another coding night - today I was in a bad way. Unusually depressed, paranoid and empty, but made it to twelve hours. Maybe tonight, once I run out of puffs in my tobacco flavoured cartridge, I'll stick in one of the vanilla ones I got yesterday.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 03 2011 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I find myself going downstairs and outside to "smoke," even though there's no need... Part of the coding ritual, I suppose.

Profile Email Website
Laser Towel
 Wednesday, August 03 2011 @ 06:00 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I find myself going downstairs and outside to "smoke," even though there's no need... Part of the coding ritual, I suppose.

I know what you mean. Even when I'm just smoking an e-fag I still find myself going outside to sit on the steps. It just doesn't feel right if I stay inside... Frown

Also, I've been cutting back myself. I'm trying to stabilise at a carton per month, which I think is 6-7 "crafty analogues" per day, as opposed to my previous two cartons per month / half a pack per day + five emergency packs. So I can relate to a degree. Hang in there boss, we're all rooting for you.

Dent

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 04 2011 @ 04:00 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Laser+Towel

I know what you mean. Even when I'm just smoking an e-fag I still find myself going outside to sit on the steps. It just doesn't feel right if I stay inside... Frown

Also, I've been cutting back myself. I'm trying to stabilise at a carton per month, which I think is 6-7 "crafty analogues" per day, as opposed to my previous two cartons per month / half a pack per day + five emergency packs. So I can relate to a degree. Hang in there boss, we're all rooting for you.

That's great, Towel! It's getting rid of the five Important Ones that's the hardest - the one waking up, after meals, and in the evening. If you can get it down to those five, then that's really, really excellent.

The wee stopwatch thingy on my phone has been good for me; basically I reset it whenever I smoke a real cigarette, and right now I'm aiming for five hours between fags, and seem to be hitting it pretty consistently. My longest total so far is twelve hours, but I was asleep for seven of those. Razz

Also right now I'm smoking Salems. I usually roll my own - I'll last a good couple of hours between my dirty, tarry, satisfying rollies, but if I have a "normal" fag from a box, I'll want another one half an hour later.

Let's see, what've I been smoking...

Started in earnest on dirty Mayfairs, around 2001. Went to Richmond menthols around 2003. Alternated between hand-rolled Drum (the taste of prison!) and Richmond menthols from 2004-ish. Here and there, on trips to the USA, smoked Newports and Salems. Threw some Amber Leaf into the hand-rolled rotation around 2007... Then when I moved to the States permanently, it was American Drum (which is different to English Drum) and, more recently, Bugler, with far fewer shop-bought cigarettes in favour of hand-rolled.

Man, now I want a rolly... Want one BAD, and I've just had one of Emily's Salems. Razz And we don't have any papers!

Rollies stain your fingers and teeth a hell of a lot worse than normal fags.

Hey, you know what I haven't done today? I haven't coughed. And holy shit, my teeth. They're a completely different colour, and I haven't even stopped smoking completely yet.

(still waiting for my sticky black lungbaby - the built-up crap of the past six years since the last time I tried to quit. Maybe that'll show up a few days after I smoke my absolute last cigarette)

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 04 2011 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

More thoughts on the subject...

E-cigarettes have their drawbacks. They're not terribly much like smoking at all. You end up not inhaling as deeply, because you want to be able to see the vapour coming out. Fortunately nicotine can be absorbed through the mouth, so you still get your hit. But the biggest drawback, in my opinion, is that you look like a plonker.

Now, the thing about smoking is that you look like a plonker while you're doing that too (also you smell bad). But when you're smoking a real cigarette, at least you think you look cool. When you're puffing away on your glowing e-fag, you know you look ridiculous. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Laser Towel
 Thursday, August 04 2011 @ 04:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Laser+Towel

That's great, Towel! It's getting rid of the five Important Ones that's the hardest - the one waking up, after meals, and in the evening. If you can get it down to those five, then that's really, really excellent.

The wee stopwatch thingy on my phone has been good for me; basically I reset it whenever I smoke a real cigarette, and right now I'm aiming for five hours between fags, and seem to be hitting it pretty consistently. My longest total so far is twelve hours, but I was asleep for seven of those. Razz

Also right now I'm smoking Salems. I usually roll my own - I'll last a good couple of hours between my dirty, tarry, satisfying rollies, but if I have a "normal" fag from a box, I'll want another one half an hour later.

Let's see, what've I been smoking...

Started in earnest on dirty Mayfairs, around 2001. Went to Richmond menthols around 2003. Alternated between hand-rolled Drum (the taste of prison!) and Richmond menthols from 2004-ish. Here and there, on trips to the USA, smoked Newports and Salems. Threw some Amber Leaf into the hand-rolled rotation around 2007... Then when I moved to the States permanently, it was American Drum (which is different to English Drum) and, more recently, Bugler, with far fewer shop-bought cigarettes in favour of hand-rolled.

Man, now I want a rolly... Want one BAD, and I've just had one of Emily's Salems. Razz And we don't have any papers!

Rollies stain your fingers and teeth a hell of a lot worse than normal fags.

Hey, you know what I haven't done today? I haven't coughed. And holy shit, my teeth. They're a completely different colour, and I haven't even stopped smoking completely yet.

(still waiting for my sticky black lungbaby - the built-up crap of the past six years since the last time I tried to quit. Maybe that'll show up a few days after I smoke my absolute last cigarette)

Yes, hand rolled fags stain the hell out of your teeth and fingers. I smoked Buglers for a while myself and the first three digits on my left hand had brownish orange tips for quite some time.

Alright, history... my first pack of cigarettes was a pack of Basic full flavor kings, purchased in November of '03 on my 18th birthday... but the first fag I ever smoked was actually a Doral menthol, given to me by an acquaintance at the local college a month or two before. Buggers taste like straight ass. I smoked Basics til early '05, when I smoked Camels - Turkish Jade and Turkish Royal. Around '07 I switched to a variety of cheap ass smokes because the taxes on tobacco here in Florida are insane. Then I moved, and when I came back in mid-'09 I started smoking Marlboro Red 72s because they were somewhat acceptably priced and I was tired of smoking $.79 packs of little cigars and 305s. Right now I have a carton of Turkish Royals, since I like to switch brands from time to time.

I started off smoking half a pack, then by '05 I was up to a carton every other day. Since then I've gradually been cutting back, and now I'm just about at a carton a month. I doubt I'll ever quit, but I definitely needed to cut back. ~10 years of smoking three packs a day on average can't be good, and I'm sure I've got a respectable sized black lung baby of my own. In fact I know I have, because I've already seen little bits of it.

I'm down to the Five (or in my case the Three to Four since I only eat 0ne to two meals a day), but I also smoke another three or four throughout the day. Some days I don't even think about it and I only smoke two or three, and other days I'm in a hellish mood and go through half a pack. It usually depends on a) if I can pack a bowl, and b) if I have any cheese.

Incidentally, that's the first time anyone's ever called me Towel. It amuses me for some reason.

Dent

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 04 2011 @ 06:05 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Different things'll trigger you. I haven't gotten drunk since I got my e-cigarettes, but I do wonder what'll happen...

Just had a Salem. I think I'm starting to prefer my e-cigarette over tobacco - maybe not over my harsh, filthy, tasty hand-rolled ones, but certainly over the prepackaged sort.

Been doing some research and I think, once I've gone a full week without a cigarette, I'll treat myself to a better model of e-cig. I'm leaning towards a Joye 510 right now, probably a black one; these crappy ones from the local tobacconists aren't brilliant.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Thursday, August 04 2011 @ 06:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*shakes his pom-poms*

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Miss Hellebore
 Thursday, August 04 2011 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Wow, hey look at that. I'm still alive.

I've wandered back into the forums and saw this and immediately wanted to offer my support, Dan. I didn't smoke as much as you, but I just gave it up myself (July 22). In a way, I was lucky. A cold so bad it completely laid me out kept me from even wanting a cigarette for the initial four days and after that, it has been easier. The hardest temptation so far has been going out to bars with friends who smoke.

I guess that's my suggestion: avoid drinking for the first month of so. (Hard, I know!) But really, congratulations and good luck.

Miss H.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 08 2011 @ 05:31 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Over the past four days, I've been consistently down to between two and four Salems a day. I've just accomplished one of my workout goals; situps in time with this song, for the length thereof. Total, 433 situps in a little under five and a half minutes, and I'm not short of breath. My lungs fucking work again!

...however, my abdomen is on fire. LITERALLY ON FIRE, THERE ARE FLAMES SHOOTING FROM MY BELLYBUTTON.

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Monday, August 08 2011 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

...however, my abdomen is on fire. LITERALLY ON FIRE, THERE ARE FLAMES SHOOTING FROM MY BELLYBUTTON.

I smell a new implant! Either that or burning lint.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Tuesday, August 09 2011 @ 10:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Over the past four days, I've been consistently down to between two and four Salems a day. I've just accomplished one of my workout goals; situps in time with this song, for the length thereof. Total, 433 situps in a little under five and a half minutes, and I'm not short of breath. My lungs fucking work again!

I'd buy that exercise video! You are missing out on a marketing opportunity here.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Tuesday, August 09 2011 @ 11:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Woo! Go Joe!

(And Talky; we're already struggling to gt our first set of merch items out and about, lets not add anything before i get my bleedin' mug, eh? Wink )

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 15 2011 @ 08:01 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

So my cheap-ass corner-shop efags packed in last week. Since then I've been smoking like a fucking chimney, although still not as much as I was smoking pre-efags.

My Joye 510T cigarettes arrived this morning, along with half a dozen different flavour liquids. So far I'm very impressed with the 510T - rather than having little cartridges that you pop onto the end, it's got a wee tank that you fill up with fluid. The fluid costs six bucks for ten mil, and the tanks hold about .8 of a mil - at the rate I'm smoking, I can't imagine running out terribly soon.

The 510T produces about ten times as much vapour as my crappy 502D's, and looks much cooler. It's black, and long, and kinda cool looking apart from a ridiculous blue LED in the end, although I understand I can get batteries with different LED colours. I'm thinking either a black or titanium one with a red LED would be kinda cool. Smile

Anyway, I've smoked the last Salem in my pack, so I'm ready to start giving up again...

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 15 2011 @ 09:48 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Oh, also: reduced the nicotine concentration to 12mg. Half of what it was before.

Not terribly impressed with the flavours... :-/

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 15 2011 @ 11:53 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Oh, also: reduced the nicotine concentration to 12mg. Half of what it was before.

Not terribly impressed with the flavours... :-/

Okay, I take that back; the "Jamaican" flavour (supposedly pine and spices) tastes absolutely wonderful. It's like smoking a really, really posh bonfire.

The "Sweet Carolina" flavour, on the other hand... It's supposed to taste like honey-cured tobacco. It tastes as if you've smoked a really cheap cigar, chugged a pint of honey, licked someone's armpit and then puked it all up.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply