Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 An opinion piece: How to give personality to your character.
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Saturday, June 02 2012 @ 05:19 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Quote by: TeddybearofDeath

Some of our players are BLIND. They're using some program to type blind, text to speech or something. And it sometimes messed up grammer or details! So while it's probably acceptable to encourage other players you see with proper spellings, a reminder to capitolize, or whatever issues your eyes home in on, without being a dick of course.. It's also important to be careful you're not berating a blind person out of control of the specifics! Just saying, try to go easy on people, especially if you don't know the situation. : )

Am I the only one(The answer is no.) who finds this deliciously impossible-sounding? It's like the clue in Encyclopedia Brown that the blind man isn't really blind: he was playing a text-adventure game. Kids these days and their gizmos for overcoming adversity...

In the future, I will be sure to ask "are you a blind person? Because you type like one." That should make everything good.

Eyes FML...

That attempt at humour didn't really work, did it? Or were you just meaning to marvel at the state of modern technology?

We do have blind players using screen readers and speech to text programs. I believe we are actually on a list somewhere of online games for the visually handicapped. I'd say CMJ can be rightly proud of how much he has done to make the Island accessible.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, June 02 2012 @ 06:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Or were you just meaning to marvel at the state of modern technology?

Yes.

Profile Email Website
TeddybearofDeath
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 06:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

EDIT: Oh, Sessine ninja'd me. You guys posted while I was writing! Nevermind, seems my point was already made. Misunderstanding!

Am I the only one(The answer is no.) who finds this deliciously impossible-sounding? It's like the clue in Encyclopedia Brown that the blind man isn't really blind: he was playing a text-adventure game. Kids these days and their gizmos for overcoming adversity...

In the future, I will be sure to ask "are you a blind person? Because you type like one." That should make everything good.

You can be as sarcastic as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that we have blind players. Have you ever looked at the default page settings and saw that some are 'accessible'? It's blind accessable.

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Also, on the subject of telling people how to play pretend: guys, the Island is fairly popular with the blind and visually-impaired community. Screen readers, braille interfaces, speech-to-text and other such technology is not at all perfect, so typos (and replacement of words that sound the same, IE you're and your) are common with our blind players. I mention this now because yeah, good grammar and spelling is important, but for some folks it's just not do-able with our current technology.

So, um, I guess... next time someone comes on confusing your and you're, make sure they're not actually blind before you make yourself look daft by correcting them. Razz

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 06:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm... with two people misunderstanding (at least initially) me, maybe I should clarify for the benefit of others...

That's me earnestly marveling at how blind people are able to interact with this visual(i.e., text)-based game, thanks to the wonders of technology. I apologize if it sounded insincere; the alternitive way I have of expressing that thought is grinning like a fool and waving my arms in erratic loops, which doesn't really get the point across, especially in text form. Also, Encyclopedia Brown is a hack.

In the future, I'll be sure to ask "are you a blind person? Because you type like one." That should make everything good.

And that is my poor attempt at humor. Thank you for your time.

And I know about the visually-impaired players. I am a well-read and learned gentleman.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 08:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Can I drag this thread back from discussion of different cultural norms of humour to something a little closer to the original intent?

When playing active, interactive scenes, consider your fellow writers. Especially if they're new, but even seasoned old RPers. Respond to what they do, let them know that what they've done has been noticed and included. Throw them hooks to play with. Include them. People who do that well are a real joy to RP with. Everything seems to flow naturally, and a scene can often seem to write itself. People who don't can sometimes be quite hard work to play with.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 10:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Sorry for yelling at you man, sometimes text does get easy to misinterpret.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 10:27 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Originality! I cannot state this enough! Finding a character who's not following the newest fad is incredibly refreshing!

That is not meant to offend anyone. I'm just saying.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 12:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Something I'd like to add: if someone is writing their character having some sort of problem, please, please, please don't go and solve their problem in a single line. It's really, really boring. Boring for you, and boring for the person writing their character having a problem.

Let's say there's a scenario in which a person needs .

The last thing that player wants (ironically) is a line from some stranger saying, literally, ": gives a/n ."

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 12:19 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

Originality!

And pacing.

Dent

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 03:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry for yelling at you man, sometimes text does get easy to misinterpret.

It's all good.

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

Originality! I cannot state this enough! Finding a character who's not following the newest fad is incredibly refreshing!

We have fads? On the Island? ... I gotta get me some of that. Where/Who/When/Why/How/What are they?

Something I'd like to add: if someone is writing their character having some sort of problem, please, please, please don't go and solve their problem in a single line. It's really, really boring. Boring for you, and boring for the person writing their character having a problem.

Let's say there's a scenario in which a person needs .

The last thing that player wants (ironically) is a line from some stranger saying, literally, ": gives a/n ."

In fact, make their problem worse, if it's a good one. Give more characters the problem. Set things on fire. Muhahaha!

Or maybe that's just me.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry, made that post when I'd just gotten back from work (night shift) and I was quite tired. I know that was a really specific thing to bitch about. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. Someone's trying to write a challenge for their character, and solving it instantly because you just happened to have (exact skill or item needed) is pretty dumb. I'm not saying characters can't help eachother, or anything like that, but it's much more interesting to play into an in-character problem rather than entirely negate it.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 10:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Matthew

Sorry, made that post when I'd just gotten back from work (night shift) and I was quite tired. I know that was a really specific thing to bitch about. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. Someone's trying to write a challenge for their character, and solving it instantly because you just happened to have (exact skill or item needed) is pretty dumb. I'm not saying characters can't help each other, or anything like that, but it's much more interesting to play into an in-character problem rather than entirely negate it.

That said, if you are trying to build a story arc on a problem that you have, make sure that it's difficult to solve. Or that, at least, your character distrusts people (or Jokers, anyway) enough to refuse any help that might instantly solve their problem.

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 12:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Sorry, made that post when I'd just gotten back from work (night shift) and I was quite tired. I know that was a really specific thing to bitch about. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. Someone's trying to write a challenge for their character, and solving it instantly because you just happened to have (exact skill or item needed) is pretty dumb. I'm not saying characters can't help eachother, or anything like that, but it's much more interesting to play into an in-character problem rather than entirely negate it.

Something I reccomend for situations like this is actually to talk to the narrator. Banter, distracts, whatever. Some people do want to involve others in solving their problem, using it as a topic. Others want to draw it out for plot.

Actually, this is another place for a really good tip to players. Open up a dialogue with other writers! Story's all good and nice, but you can enhance it by getting to know your favorite story partners better and collaborating! Sometimes amazing writing is possible and misunderstandings avoided just by having an open channel of communication with other writers! Everything's better when most of you are on the same page..

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Monday, June 04 2012 @ 05:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Try to be inclusive.. even that loner character on the side who's not actively interacting, mention them somewhere in your post a glance or something. Or even make a note to post how your character didn't just notice so and so entering the outpost or wherever because their back is turned.

It helps a player feel like they are not being ignored, even if ic'ly the characters are indeed ignoring the crazy person just skating about seeming to be minding their own business and not saying hi to anyone.

It can be hard in a outpost when posts go by quickly but every little bit helps in making people feel like they are welcome, oocly, to try to interact with the group huddled together and discussing the newest plot of scenes.

Be aware of the difference of ooc and ic, a character may strive to disclude another character out of mistrust and ic reasons. It does not necessarily mean the narrator doesn't want to rp with you at all, in fact the friction stemming from such situations can be fun to play. Not every character can get along, but we should strive to as players get along as much as we can.

Profile Email
Trotsky
 Tuesday, June 05 2012 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Trotsky would posit that Lydia has made a vital, unimpeachable point, and that all there really is to add is "consistency helps quite a lot too", but he cannot.
He is only a cork.

"Ain't nothin' left to do, but smile, smile, smile" -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, June 06 2012 @ 03:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Something I reccomend for situations like this is actually to talk to the narrator. Banter, distracts, whatever. Some people do want to involve others in solving their problem, using it as a topic. Others want to draw it out for plot.

Actually, this is another place for a really good tip to players. Open up a dialogue with other writers! Story's all good and nice, but you can enhance it by getting to know your favorite story partners better and collaborating! Sometimes amazing writing is possible and misunderstandings avoided just by having an open channel of communication with other writers! Everything's better when most of you are on the same page..

Very good comment. I would add, that especially if you are dealing with a new player, who is, say, solving problems instantly. Usually they're well intentioned, and they're just trying to get involved. If you're criticising, it can sometimes, unintentionally, come across as rather negative and unfriendly. So start your distraction with "Hello and welcome to the Island!" and finish it with "I hope you enjoy yourself here, if there's anything I can do then let me know."

It helps make the whole thing a lot more friendly.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.36 seconds
New Topic Post Reply