Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 No, you cannot have children, stop yer asking.
 |  Printable Version
TeddybearofDeath
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

My current theory is that she respects you a lot. My other theory is a long, barely-coherent rant about how kids these days are too polite, and back in my day you said what you meant and you meant it, there were none of these darn guessing games. But those are just my grass-tinted glasses...Get it? 'Cause red is opposite green on the color wheel? ...Well, I tried.

This.

All I really wanted was a straight answer to a question I've outlined twice, but that's not going to happen, I don't think. Just deflecting questions to questions. God knows why we can't have a 'yes' or 'no' instead of being subjected to individual interpretation and hoping we don't get banned for an unintentional mis-step.

My conclusion is, until I'm directly told otherwise by someone who matters like a mod or CMJ, I'm going to keep playing my accounts the way makes me happy (within the rules.), cannon or not. If I do something wrong, I hope someone let's me know and explains it to me, and things don't continue to be ambiguous. For now, I'm tired of worrying about it. I want to have fun, and I'd prefer to do it with my friends here. I hope that's ok.

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 12:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You're not going to get banned for playing "out of canon", don't worry! CMJ himself said there is no such rule, unambiguously. Just keep on doing what you like. Smile

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 02:37 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

What the fuck ambiguous dude what but I've said what do you even what

Okay, spelling it out again:

Importing characters from other games bothers me, and it apparently bothers some others. It is not against the rules, and is not likely to be. I'm not in the habit of making rules against things that other people find fun, just because it bothers me a bit.

You're talking about being banned for an unintentional misstep, now? Dude. What did I just say?

What I wrote was "how I feel," not "ten per cent of how I feel and you can guess the other 90% because I'm too polite to say it."

I am a lot less complicated than you think I am!

Profile Email Website
TeddybearofDeath
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 04:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I was never asking about copyrighted characters! I was asking about characters of races/origins outside of the story line! Things that are not Human/zombie/mutant/robot/midget/kittymorph, or that arrived by means other than airplane drop! That was my question! I don't get why this is pissing you off so bad, just forget it! I'll never ask a question again!

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 04:59 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

First off: this made me giggle a little.

Quote by: Mercury

. I grumble, complain, grind my teeth, complain some more, then Cherri gives me a cookie and tells me to get over it. And I do, and I eat my cookie, and I watch.

Secondly: Teddy

I think you are reading way too much into this.

Sweetie, from what I read, your question wasn't formulated well enough to make that distinction. I thought you were arguing (and getting upset) for the point of nintendo characters, not races not preset by CMJ.

I've seen races outside the ones created for the game that are done really well. I think where I stand on the matter of fifth wall characters is with Mercury there. I don't mind them but if they are going to be brought to the island but you better have a damn good story line to back up the characters that you are bringing to this island. That said:

I am not going to say that I am speaking for CMJ here, but this is how I interpret his arguments thus far and changes he's made to the island for the almost three years I have been here.

He created the race changer to give his players more wiggle room to muck around with their characters. So instead of Cherri being just a joker, she's actually a walking plushy. Instead of her being a kittymorph, she's a fox squirrel and so on a so forth. These are just examples mind you.

The only thing he doesn't care for is, again, the fifth wall characters but even then, he's not putting a direct stop on it. He's just saying he doesn't care for it. It is an opinion not a directive. He might be the creator and yes, that demands a certain respect but he is also a person who has the right to express their opinions without having someone taking it as "This is wrong, don't do it."

It's like if I wrote a book and then made my own fanfiction site. There might be pairings and crossovers I don't particularly care for, and I may say as much, but I am also not saying that you can't write it.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 06:36 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: TeddybearofDeath

I was never asking about copyrighted characters! I was asking about characters of races/origins outside of the story line! Things that are not Human/zombie/mutant/robot/midget/kittymorph, or that arrived by means other than airplane drop! That was my question! I don't get why this is pissing you off so bad, just forget it! I'll never ask a question again!

Eek! Neutral Confused

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 10:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A brief intermission.

Fin.

Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands".

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 11:00 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

DUCKY!

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

There is a duck. Thread over.

Profile Email
Tiber
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 07:00 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Bolded for emphasis. In my opinion, those sort of things (arrived by means other than airplane drop) are jungle monsters. If it is not a Network sponsored Contestant or NPC, they are kill on sight, unless the Watcher or the Network itself has given their say-so (And if you're RPing the Network or Watcher without being CMJ or having his say so, you should probably step away from that RP).

Of course, this is entirely based on my own view of canon (which is spelled with only one "n" by the way), and has no bearing on CMJ's or the Admins' policies.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 07:14 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Tiber

Bolded for emphasis. In my opinion, those sort of things (arrived by means other than airplane drop) are jungle monsters. If it is not a Network sponsored Contestant or NPC, they are kill on sight. According to my interpretation of canon, at least. (which is spelled with only one "n" by the way.)

Ah, but interpretation doesn't mean fact. It's like telling someone that the earth is flat because you interpret it that way. Others have characters that ARE contestants, that AREN'T airdropped in, and it's clear the the island is used to that sort of thing, or a LOT of people would be 'killed on sight'. Also, I've seen a Jokombidgbotantmorph, a Spiderkitty, a giant ice-thing, and they're all contestants, well-played ones at that. It's just as CMJ said: "Don't tell others how to play Let's pretend!"

But I digress. This thread is over people. You saw the duck.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 07:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Jungle monsters are created by the Drive. Why would anything else be KoS? Quite a few characters do arrive onto the Island via alternate means, and I think it's a pretty reasonable stretch.

The fact that I play a character like that has something to do with my thought there, but only a little

My thoughts on custom races: it's the Improbability Drive, and Improbability would have some inherent randomness, wouldn't it? It would be far too probable (not to mention ridiculous) that the Drive would destroy your body, but then randomly cobble it back together in only one of five ways (Joker, Kittymorph, Zombie, Midget, Robot). So playing a rabbitmorph or a jokerthings or sentient ipad or whatever-the-fuck makes a certain amount of sense.

Please nobody play a sentient ipad that's a terrible idea

or maybe the best idea ever

I also have to sigh and roll my eyes when people play Pokemon or Angel Demon Trigger Vampires or Mega Man or Sonic, or whatever, though. It's when you play fan-characters from other established canons that I start to get annoyed. Just go find a pokemon roleplay forum or something, damn.

edit:

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 06:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sorry to... necromance, I guess, this thread, but...

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

A brief intermission.

http://www.stealthbadger.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LOOK_AT_THIS_DUCK.jpg

Fin.

Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands".

Edited for canon!

In short, the lesson that all contestants take from their meetings with the Duck is: if it looks like a duck, and QUACKS like a duck, chances are, you should run like hell.

Muhaha! Now I have reclaimed my rightful position as king of poorly photoshopping things!

Profile Email Website
Chef Micha
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 07:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, please return it to the nearest QQQ member, and carefully keep your hand on your wallet.

Profile Email Website
Kew
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 09:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Chef+Micha

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, please return it to the nearest QQQ member, and carefully keep your hand on your wallet.

Yes, yes. I shall stand by to receive any ducks. And wallets. Or booze.

Wouldn't it be loverly?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply