Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 How Long Has It Been?
 |  Printable Version
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 05:14 AM UTC (Read 6445 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway we could find out how long we've actually been on the island?

It's just it comes up in conversation every once in a while and I was curious.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Chef Micha
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 06:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Besides date checking your earliest logs and the guess-and-check of your player number, I don't know! I'd be interested to find out, myself, just to see if my own memories jive with reality.

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 09:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Two ways: Specifically ask somebody with access to that sort of information, or check your ID number and compare with others who know. I guess you can also check the exact date if you joined a clan very soon in the game and never left that clan.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 01:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Search your email archive for the earliest mention of "Improbable Island".

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 07:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pester a mod? (Don't everyone do this at once or they will come after me!)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

In the fine print at the bottom of every page, you can see the total amount of time you've spent waiting for the server to process your requests.

Not the total amount of time you've spent playing, mind - the few centiseconds that happen between your request reaching the server, and the response being sent. For some of you, it's more than a day. Remember at the end of Final Fantasy, where it said "You've been playing for forty hours"? Like that, but instead of spending forty hours playing, we don't actually know how long you've spent playing - all we can tell you is that you've spent forty hours opening and closing the drive tray.

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Umm, did you mean from the date you created your (first?) Island character, or the number of hours that you have been logged on for since then? (which is what I think CMJ's reply is referring to.)

If it's the former, your forum user info says you registered on 7th December '09. (It's just over there in the User stuff next to your posts.) Was there a long delay between joining the Island and registering on the Enquirer page? Anyway, you can say 'at least since then', I guess.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 01:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I know in my case there was a good few weeks between registering in the forums after registering in the game. That was because the forums are really quite overwhelming for a noob. Occasionally I will dig through them and find some gems, or to remind myself why certain things are the way they are.

As for how long I've spent playing... I'm not sure how to read this:

Page gen: 0.02s / 4 queries (0.001s), cache 30 successful (0.002s) / 0 failed. Average for this account: 0.22s - 102746.575/466855

Do I look at the larger number? Is it in milliseconds or centiseconds? If centiseconds, then I've only "played" for 77.8 minutes in over a year. Big Grin

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 02:38 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Page gen: 0.02s / 4 queries (0.001s), cache 30 successful (0.002s) / 0 failed. Average for this account: 0.22s - 102746.575/466855

To interpret this data!

Page gen: 0.02s (this is the amount of time it took to render this page) / 4 queries (0.001s) (the number of MySQL queries it took to do this page, and how long they took), cache 30 successful (0.002s) (the number and time of MySQL queries that we didn't have to do because their results change seldom enough that we can cache them) / 0 failed (the number of times we've tried to do a cached query but the cache was out of date or whatever so we ended up doing a normal MySQL query instead). Average for this account: 0.22s (your average page load time) - 102746.575 (total time, in seconds, you've spent loading pages) / 466855 (total number of pages you've loaded).

Hey Trowa, you're coming up on half a million pages. Smile Also, a few centiseconds or milliseconds at a time, you've spent 28 hours of your life waiting for Improbable Island to load.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Trowa

As for how long I've spent playing... I'm not sure how to read this:

Do I look at the larger number? Is it in milliseconds or centiseconds? If centiseconds, then I've only "played" for 77.8 minutes in over a year. Big Grin

That's your 'page gen' time, in seconds. That means you've spent about twenty-eight and a half hours... not playing the game. No. Waiting for the Island to respond after you clicked a link.

And the Island has showed you over four hundred and sixty-six thousand pages while you were logged in and playing Trowa.

Don't worry, though. You're not even in the Top 100 List of Island Obsessives. In any contest about who's spent the most time staring blankly at a screen just waiting for the Island to come back with the next page... I'd win. 9 days 15 hours 5 minutes 7 seconds, and counting. That's only Season Two. It's true, I have no life.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 03:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think mine is at 17.3 hours in about a years time. I only know I've been back.. from my hiatus.. (Rl stuff.. really did like the island... though I do remember it being really chaotic from the change from the pilot..) for about a year. I know this cause I came back about the time portal 2 was released mid April last year.

But ya to figure out when you joined.. only things like forum accounts or guessing or remembering a significant event will work exactly.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 03:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

See, now, I was going to be all proud of not spending my whole life on this game and still getting as far as I have, and then you two went and ruined it with the revalation that "0.22s" is not really given in the correct units. It ought to be 0.22s/p, so show "seconds per page" of average page load time so the ratio next to it makes more sense! Laughing Out Loud

And hey, Sessine! Only 1 day, 22 hours, 41 minutes, and 33 seconds left before you hit the big 1,000,000 seconds mark! Mr. Green

As for remembering when I joined, that would be when I came across someone's depiction of their new kittymorph character on DeviantART in late December of 2010. So, like Lydia said, for me it's about remembering a specific event. (I may even rediscover the link to that picture sometime, but I think the player has since left the game.)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Mercury
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I remember satisfying my own curiosity by poking through the Gallery Of Shame and basing my approximate Join Date by which images I remember being uploaded, and it turns out I've been playing since the last Quarter of '09. Damn. Wasn't that, like, right near the end of S1? Or something? I remember the Island died once and we were all stuck on a Forum for a week or so...

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Page gen: 1.923s / 38 queries (0.26s), cache 228 successful (0.047s) / 8 failed. Average for this account: 0.217s - 230151.827/1058608

230151.827 seconds

3835.863 minutes

63.931 hours

2.663 days

oh christ

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 03:03 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

OH THAT GRIM MOMENT OF REALISATION. When the blood drops from your face, and the icefingers curl around your sides, and the shivers shiver up your spine. When you look at your hands - twisted by your keyboard into withered, gnarled claws - and you shake them to the heavens, whispering, damn you, Caveman Joe. Damn you for sucking my very life away, through my atrophied eyeballs. And then the worst of it... that the information was right there all along, at the bottom of every page, black and white, if only you'd looked, if only you'd looked.

Mmm. Delicious. Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

OH THAT GRIM MOMENT OF REALISATION. When the blood drops from your face, and the icefingers curl around your sides, and the shivers shiver up your spine. When you look at your hands - twisted by your keyboard into withered, gnarled claws - and you shake them to the heavens, whispering, damn you, Caveman Joe. Damn you for sucking my very life away, through my atrophied eyeballs. And then the worst of it... that the information was right there all along, at the bottom of every page, black and white, if only you'd looked, if only you'd looked.

Mmm. Delicious. Big Grin

You can be a very creepy man sometimes.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

Mmm. Delicious. Big Grin

Isn't that part of the appeal?

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

Mmm. Delicious. Big Grin

Isn't that part of the appeal?

-Rose

Yes, but I am positive that it has not, in fact, been pointed out in a while. And I, being one of those to suffer the inconvenience of atrophied eyeballs, felt the need to express my creeped-outness at that tidbit.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, May 18 2012 @ 09:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I, for one, find it to be especially appealing.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, May 23 2012 @ 03:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Does that pagegen time include back when it would take half a fucking hour to load a page right after newday?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply