Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 I wish someone had told me --
 |  Printable Version
Mercury
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 06:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Nekops

Gender-neutral names tend to be a plus, I think... I'm not sure how often switching one's gender is done as a serious thing, but if you're interested in doing that at some point you might be glad your name wasn't Tom, or Tiffany. Unless that's the joke, I guess... but knowing that you can fit a lot of information into a custom title so long as your actual name doesn't ruin it would be good for new players.

Tiffany? Someone said the magic name!!! http://greasymoose.com/flash/hardertiffanyharder.html

That said, I do like most of the ideas presented, and while I don't really have anything else constructive to contribute, I don't think it would to hurt to provide some links to new players somewhere along the line to certain pages on the Enquirer. The Beginner Roleplay page, for example, or a link to those examples of what one might like to avoid.

I don't know how gender-neutral the name "Mercury" can be considered, since my own mind immediately links it to the male gender through association with the Romanization of the Greek Messenger God "Hermes", but I linked it to a female character despite that...

Due to the result of a simple coin toss...

Not that it matters. Despite my original intention to *never* do so, she's going through some very... Interesting times right now. Times that relate to this very suggestion towards Gender-Neutral naming and make my Masculine association with the name more apt. Public hilarity will ensue shortly, after a designated point has been reached in that plot. Promise!

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 01:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with something somewhere linking the player to the enquirer and a explanation as to the wealth of information.. and lies.. there... perhaps with Stern?

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 04:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Do you think it's time to make a quite expensive Lodge item to change your name? One that you can only buy once per account?

Yes please! But ...

1. How expensive is 'quite'?
Whatever the answer, yes, I can see it should be enough to make a user think: "Maaan, I picked a stupid name. How can I change it? Oooh, lookit ... thank you CMJ ... you are the wind beneath my wings! I'll think more carefully this time!" But not enough that users of limited means think: "Well that sucks, here I am living on dog food and he wants ..." If you're thinking in the order of a couple of bucks, sure, even five. If you're thinking over ten ... nope, not for me, anyway. I'd just delete the character and start over. Come to think of it, that is what I did. Twice, I think.

2. Why only once?
As Sessine alluded to at the opening, sometimes a name is picked that is tied to how the writer imagines/creates/perceives the character.* So when the character evolves it is not inconceivable that the name becomes ... incongruent? And as someone mentioned earlier, it's not like the Mods couldn't see who is behind the 'new' name.

So, what else would I like to have been 'told'? As someone who had never previously played any kind of online RP game** before following an ad to this one, well, my situation is probably atypical, and therefore possibly less than helpful. Disclaimer out of the way ... I don't think the Rookie Advisory as it stands, and fabulous as it is, would have helped, as it relies on some familiarity with its subject material. A Complete-and-Utter-Newbie advisory on the other hand might of been helpful, with dot points on what to expect and (cringes in anticipation of reactions) perhaps even some screen shots of:

An outpost (perhaps a (meta-) fictional one?)
A combat
A player bio

As a link to a pop-up, I would have read it, closed it, and gone ahead with a much more realistic set of expectations. I can think of dozens of reasons why this shouldn't be done, but you asked.

So, that's enough from me. For now.

D.

*Notwithstanding that some other times it's SuddenPenis, or keymashing, or just my real name/usual userid.

** Yes, thank you, no reminders, please. I cringe when I think back on some of my early interactions. Oops!

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Daedalus

** Yes, thank you, no reminders, please. I cringe when I think back on some of my early interactions. Oops!

If it makes you feel any better, Cherri used to have black succubus wings, drink blood, was married to a Vampire, gothic rockstar (I'm paraphrasing here. Please, no offense meant to the latter, whose name I will not mention). She spent her time playing joker games, getting seriously hurt by every freaking monster known to the island so someone would have to save her life, riding yoshi and tossing unavoidable fireballs at Marly, read Twilight (disclaimer at end of post). **Takes a breath** Lived in a Zelda themed forest temple (which admittedly, was nicely written) where she took in monster cubs and debated the merits and demerits of NOT ONLY HAVING A CHILD ON THE ISLAND BUT AS A FUCKING VAMPIRE!

Needless to say, I have become a MUCH, MUCH better roleplayer... I'm looking at all that stuff now and feeling sick. Ick. What the hell was I thinking. Seriously.

Anyway, I'd also like to take a moment to thank Marly and Adder. I would say they are the two pivotal factors to changing my character and writing around. (Obvious thanks to the rest of AiB for putting up with me til I got better)

Disclaimer: I fucking hate Twilight. Get over it.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Mercury
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 11:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

If it makes you feel any better, Cherri used to have black succubus wings, drink blood, was married to a Vampire, gothic rockstar (I'm paraphrasing here. Please, no offense meant to the latter, whose name I will not mention). She spent her time playing joker games, getting seriously hurt by every freaking monster known to the island so someone would have to save her life, riding yoshi and tossing unavoidable fireballs at Marly, read Twilight (disclaimer at end of post). **Takes a breath** Lived in a Zelda themed forest temple (which admittedly, was nicely written) where she took in monster cubs and debated the merits and demerits of NOT ONLY HAVING A CHILD ON THE ISLAND BUT AS A FUCKING VAMPIRE!
/p]

We would have had a... Very, very different relationship if I had bumped into you two months earlier than I did. >> <<

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 11:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Second attempt ... I think it'd be great if there was a

Improbable Island isn't just a story; you're signing up here to play in a text-based adventure game, with its own world of story and history. There is also a vibrant community of folks who roleplay in this gameworld - you can participate in the gameplay, the roleplay, or both, as you chose! Note that the name you enter here will be your login and the name of your character; you can also customise a title.
sort of alert when you first sign up.

And even better if there was a popup or links to "more details about the gameplay", "more details about the story/world" and "about roleplaying here" info.

Best of all, if both/all of these were not just available on signup, but that we could all see and link to them - perhaps even at the top of the Enquirer!

I don't think a link to just the Enquirer or a wiki page would have helped, when I was new. The new FAQ is greatly improved from the S1/LotGD/original, but I still find the Enquirer difficult to navigate - after two years! (For instance, I recently posted this text string in L4:
`~Rookie Advisory - `i`!tinyurl.com/newbwiki`i `~- or click on `$`iEnquirer`i`~ at the top of the page, then `$`iWiki of Lies`i`~ on the left, then scroll down to the `@`iIf you're new`i`~ section!
And that's kind of long for a "More answers than the FAQ" thing. Especially since there's no FAQ link on the Failboat or Commons or world map.)

When I first opened II, I knew it was a game that someone I knew played, but that's it. From reading the front screen, if I hadn't known that, I would have assumed that it was a chose-your-own-adventure story, where all you have to do is read, click occasionally on a choice, or possibly type in one or two words in a box. I expected a defined beginning, middle, and end. A story to read, not a game to play, not a community to participate in.

Anyway. Yes, I would definitely vote for a name change iitem in the Hunter's Lodge.

But not a one-time-only thing.

I would price it at, say, $5. The first time you buy it. And then if you want to change your name a second time, $10. And for a third time, $15. And, each time, you'll be reminded that you can sign up for a new account with a different name, and that the moderators will still know who you are. That, I hope, would encourage people to think about the name of their character and make considered decisions, while not putting namechanges out of reach.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Saturday, May 19 2012 @ 11:37 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Mercury

/p]

We would have had a... Very, very different relationship if I had bumped into you two months earlier than I did. >> <<

I am glad that you hadn't then.

Anyway, I have a terribly bad habit of diverting threads away from their original topics (so sorry -_-). It's the --oh sparkly! Rolling Eyes

My input is moot at this point though, since Buddleia and other far more articulate people have made similar points that mirror my thoughts on this particular subject.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 12:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Second attempt ... I think it'd be great if there was a

Improbable Island isn't just a story; you're signing up here to play in a text-based adventure game, with its own world of story and history. There is also a vibrant community of folks who roleplay in this gameworld - you can participate in the gameplay, the roleplay, or both, as you chose! Note that the name you enter here will be your login and the name of your character; you can also customise a title.
sort of alert when you first sign up.

And even better if there was a popup or links to "more details about the gameplay", "more details about the story/world" and "about roleplaying here" info.

Best of all, if both/all of these were not just available on signup, but that we could all see and link to them - perhaps even at the top of the Enquirer!

I don't think a link to just the Enquirer or a wiki page would have helped, when I was new. The new FAQ is greatly improved from the S1/LotGD/original, but I still find the Enquirer difficult to navigate - after two years! (For instance, I recently posted this text string in L4:
`~Rookie Advisory - `i`!tinyurl.com/newbwiki`i `~- or click on `$`iEnquirer`i`~ at the top of the page, then `$`iWiki of Lies`i`~ on the left, then scroll down to the `@`iIf you're new`i`~ section!
And that's kind of long for a "More answers than the FAQ" thing. Especially since there's no FAQ link on the Failboat or Commons or world map.)

When I first opened II, I knew it was a game that someone I knew played, but that's it. From reading the front screen, if I hadn't known that, I would have assumed that it was a chose-your-own-adventure story, where all you have to do is read, click occasionally on a choice, or possibly type in one or two words in a box. I expected a defined beginning, middle, and end. A story to read, not a game to play, not a community to participate in.

Anyway. Yes, I would definitely vote for a name change iitem in the Hunter's Lodge.

But not a one-time-only thing.

I would price it at, say, $5. The first time you buy it. And then if you want to change your name a second time, $10. And for a third time, $15. And, each time, you'll be reminded that you can sign up for a new account with a different name, and that the moderators will still know who you are. That, I hope, would encourage people to think about the name of their character and make considered decisions, while not putting namechanges out of reach.

I like both of these ideas! I would add a "later" or a "separate" in to the customize a title bit, so that someone who wants to be General Such-and-such doesn't misunderstand and think he can put his character name as "General Such-and-such" and change his title of General later. A good shortened version, I think.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 05:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: MercuryI don't know how gender-neutral the name "Mercury" can be considered, since my own mind immediately links it to the male gender through association with the Romanization of the Greek Messenger God "Hermes", but I linked it to a female character despite that...
[/p]

Oh, I'd say it's at least arguable... Mercury the metal is flexible and free-flowing, lovely to look at, inately fascinating but potentially quite deadly... sounds like a woman to me. :-P

Profile Email
Mercury
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 07:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Oh, I'd say it's at least arguable... Mercury the metal is flexible and free-flowing, lovely to look at, inately fascinating but potentially quite deadly... sounds like a woman to me. :-P

Good Christ, even without that last part the name just became a helluva lot more relevant to the character...

I wish I'd thought of that when I chose it. Would make me sound that much more clever-er.

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 07:17 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I don't know how gender-neutral the name "Mercury" can be considered, since my own mind immediately links it to the male gender through association with the Romanization of the Greek Messenger God "Hermes", but I linked it to a female character despite that...

Holy shit. That is the most apt description I have heard thus far. Merc, you should put that in your little mouse over profile bit.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 03:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Holy shit. That is the most apt description I have heard thus far. Merc, you should put that in your little mouse over profile bit.

*Chuckles and blushes a bit.*

Not sure if you're serious, but Mercury is certainly welcome to it regardless. ^^

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Thursday, May 24 2012 @ 11:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Words cannot describe how often I have looked back and wished that I had used an original name when I started playing II. At the time, I too thought it was a simple text-based point-and-click choose-your-own-adventure blah-blee-bloo-blah whatever-you-get-what-I'm-saying game. After realising that it was this FANFUCKINGTASTIC RICH AND EXPANSIVE REALM OF IMAGINATION, I spent the next several weeks lurking in Newhome, watching Eben prepare tea for newblets and vets, and trying to work up the courage to jump into Story as... some unoriginal bloke with a towel and a bathrobe.

Yeah.

However... Arthur is not just some unoriginal bloke with a towel and a bathrobe anymore. He is this reclusive, mechanically-obsessed machine, driven by Science, Torchwood, 'borrowed' nanites (literally), and Fascinating But Useless equipment. He is a living, breathing being, and I have developed a fondness for him that one can only gain from making a shitty choice in naming their character when signing up for an online text-based MMORPG-thing, and then sticking with it. I may not have some jaw-droppingly horrendous tale to tell like Cherri, but I started off on the wrong foot as well... and it was that very mis-step that has made CTO Arthur Dent who he is, rather than Kalgavi the alien warrior-lordling from the planet Kirjj. And I am kinda glad for that.

Dent

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Friday, May 25 2012 @ 12:49 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Laser+Towel

Words cannot describe how often I have looked back and wished that I had used an original name when I started playing II. At the time, I too thought it was a simple text-based point-and-click choose-your-own-adventure blah-blee-bloo-blah whatever-you-get-what-I'm-saying game. After realising that it was this FANFUCKINGTASTIC RICH AND EXPANSIVE REALM OF IMAGINATION, I spent the next several weeks lurking in Newhome, watching Eben prepare tea for newblets and vets, and trying to work up the courage to jump into Story as... some unoriginal bloke with a towel and a bathrobe.

Yeah.

However... Arthur is not just some unoriginal bloke with a towel and a bathrobe anymore. He is this reclusive, mechanically-obsessed machine, driven by Science, Torchwood, 'borrowed' nanites (literally), and Fascinating But Useless equipment. He is a living, breathing being, and I have developed a fondness for him that one can only gain from making a shitty choice in naming their character when signing up for an online text-based MMORPG-thing, and then sticking with it. I may not have some jaw-droppingly horrendous tale to tell like Cherri, but I started off on the wrong foot as well... and it was that very mis-step that has made CTO Arthur Dent who he is, rather than Kalgavi the alien warrior-lordling from the planet Kirjj. And I am kinda glad for that.

I read back to my earlier days on the island (and Mercury is terribly happy to tease me mercilessly about my rainbow sword fight with Marly) and I get so flustered its not even funny. It was pretty wretched.

However, to combat such insecurities and feelings of shame, I happily remind myself that I may be one of the best examples of a turn around character. Big Grin

I'm not being egotistical. I am just making myself feel better.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, May 25 2012 @ 10:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have a similar story. When I first joined the Island, it was at the behest of a close friend. They told me a little about the game, but I still didn't quite know what I was getting into. Thinking it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't stay for more than a couple days, after thinking about it a little bit I decided to just pick the first generic throwaway name I could. And so, Matthew was born. This would come to plague me.

It's this goddamn name. I hate this name. Because I've been unhappy with the name, I've been unhappy with the character, resulting in the character never having a coherent or consistent story/personality/look/anything, making him an annoyingly fluid character that I've never had any kind of real grasp on. All because of this name. Fucking Matthew.

No offense to anyone named Matthew in real life, of course.

Anyway, point being: a name changer lodge item would be really super. And 271 Drive Kills (not that I'm counting or anything) say I don't get to delete and remake.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, May 25 2012 @ 02:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Matthew

It's this goddamn name. I hate this name.

Decide what name you do want and contact me.

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Basically, if a player makes any sort of reasonable case, we mods have already been granting name changes.

That -- what you wrote above -- sure sounds like a reasonable case to me.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love it when a person has a mundane name in the midst of a fantasy realm. Its out-of-place nature is really amusing. Matthew seems fine.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, May 27 2012 @ 06:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's not so much the mundanity. In fact, the name I eventually settled on is every bit as, really.

I just really don't care for 'Matthew'.

Profile Email
Rohvannyc
 Sunday, May 27 2012 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

My two pence:

I love the idea of changing a name. I also like being able to see who it used to be, but just in the character bio. I feel fortunate that I picked a name that is flexible and that I can use for various purposes, and that I'm comfortable with. A namechange item would make a little more money.

Another idea:

How about a character in one of the cities, similar to Dr. Paprika? I find it interesting that there is a dedicated character for gender changes but not name changes. It could even be part of Nightmare Court. There could be a grumpy little clerk who accepts namechange requests, has you talk to the grouchy judge, and possibly have you bring in the Lodge item (which is the requisite form) as well. It would be a way to add flavor and story to the whole process. You'd actually have to do a bit of roleplaying to change your name, or know how to do it. I just thought of it this way because I did change my name once IRL.

"Courage is the price that Life exacts itself for granting peace" - AE

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.57 seconds
New Topic Post Reply