Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 The Island has been invaded...
 |  Printable Version
Lunasol
 Sunday, July 08 2012 @ 11:00 PM UTC (Read 6850 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Alright, I have nothing about islanders "borrowing" from other websites and shows and media. The problem I am seeing is... HOMESTUCK.
It started as a banter thing and now they're one of the top clans. And that's fine, but there are more trolls and Homestuck brand people than there are anyone else, and they're all focused around New Home.

It's become a bit of an epidemic. New Home is the first place anyone sees and coming to the island and having it over run by fan based characters makes me worried it'll either A)Scare away people who don't know this comic or CoolCause the problem to escalate to mythic proportions.

I'm not sure if the mods can talk to them or if the contestants should be suggesting kindly they move to other outposts or if I should shut up and ignore them completely.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, July 09 2012 @ 12:27 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I should probably stop advertising on MSPA; it's the most popular website I advertise on, but we are getting an awful, awful lot of fifth-wall-breaking going on.

Profile Email Website
Lunasol
 Monday, July 09 2012 @ 02:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I should probably stop advertising on MSPA; it's the most popular website I advertise on, but we are getting an awful, awful lot of fifth-wall-breaking going on.

Its an awesome website, its followers are just turning New Home from Improbable Island into a Homestuck fan play site. And sadly, its confusing and off putting. And in truth, youve said it before. Its not like you can step in and say "Look here, I want you to play YOUR characters MY way." Im just wondering if we can say "I want you to play your characters... maybe over there."

Iunno. Ive just seen a number of people watch them use the comics canon powers and ideals and have no effing clue what it means and why they have them...

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, July 09 2012 @ 04:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Fan abuse of Homestuck is why I haven't read it in over a year and a half. The Homestuck crowd in New Home has only further doused my waning love for the comic and its creator.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, July 09 2012 @ 05:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't get the problem. Instead of a mass of people unimaginatively playing characters from many diverse other works, there's a recent trend of people unimaginatively playing characters from one other work.

Yes, I am being deliberately obtuse.

More fairly, you already know the answer to how much validity there is to bringing in a higher power like a mod or CMJ. However, if you desire a change in the way your society acts, you may make your own endeavor to talk to people and persuade them to keep NewHome a more canon presentation for new players. It's not about forcing their hands with authority, it's about persuading them to follow your lead.

This forum thread is a good place to start and find like-minded lieutenants in your effort.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, July 09 2012 @ 04:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I warned you about chars bro!!!!

I told you dog!

... I have nothing constructive to add.

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Here's the thing.

People don't want to listen. I'm going to risk sounding like a bitch with the small, following diatribe:

If you offer them constructive criticism, they think you are telling them how to play and they will take that personally.

If you tell them that their roleplay in New Home would be best moved elsewhere, you are attacking them and telling them how to play.

If you try to be nice, they brush you off. I am not even kidding. I politely informed someone that their title was a typo, in distractions no less to avoid potential for embarrassment, I was told it was no biggie and that was that. I mean, if the person didn't have a title changer, I would have happily provided them with one of the oneshot changers.

I'm not trying to be cynical or bitchy. I'm just being realistic and actually, it makes me a little sad. I like the island and I try my best to help people who are new or maybe are having a... uhm, difficult time fitting their character properly into the island but I'm starting to have a "What's the point?" kind of attitude.

That said, I still try to play in the outposts because I don't think holing myself away in different places will help either. (No offense to people who do confine themselves to Places because they'd rather not deal with some of the outposts.)

Not my most eloquent, but there you go.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Lunasol
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Cherriki... That was actually perfectly eloquent. I tried to hand out a link of this thread to the people I am speaking about, because there is no point in trying to make a discussion when the people you discuss are not part of it...

And was met with anger. I didnt post the link to start a fight, simply point out that a discussio is being made, please join in.

It made mw realize you can only stand back and watch the explosion and guide them to help if it all goes wrong. I just will say this...

I dont dislike that they enjoy the comic and want to make chars based off them. Its off putting to see so many and that theyre forcing the island to fit the comic. I fear itll simply cause Rookies to add fuel to the fire until there are so many that it becomes a Zompire problem. It becomes one group of over zealous player who upset another to the point of creating battles or wars or so forth.

Profile Email
Marly
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 03:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ahm. Well, personally, my preference is to lead by example. "BUT MARLY!" you all shout at me in anger, irritation, and genuine affection, "YOUR EXAMPLE IS TO NOT BE AROUND!"

Ahem.

We've seen things like this before: people play stereotypes and fanfiction. It happens. I just act like I've never heard it before and take them on their own terms. I play things that are fun for others, I do things that are inclusive and Island-y. Or at least not whatever-it-is-they-are-y. Like bumping into people and making them drop their grenades. (Sorry, Ada!) Just do something. If they want to join, then okay, they find it fun and move on and grow. Or they stay stuck in a series of in-jokes and when the dynamic in NewHome changes AGAIN right under their feet, they're gonna change or leave. Or they'll get bored before then and leave. How many of us have the exact same character we had when we started? Yeah, I'm looking at you. You with the embarrassing wing incident before you figured out you want to be one of the cool kids. And the tail. And the super powers. And the Dramabomb. Seriously, LSP much?

We all change our characters as we learn. We all still do embarrassing things. Does it mean we shouldn't try? Nope! But it does mean that we shouldn't worry overmuch. It's a problem, yeah, and we need to talk about it and encourage people to creativity. But it's still unfolding and has its own way of resolving itself and we'll need to keep that in mind. We get horrible players and characters. They tend to either need a Hammer or a Gentle Reminder if they stay that way. Other times, we see evolution and adaptation in action.

So, yeah, let's work on things. Let's find a solution. Let's not be vehement about it, let's lead by example. Let's remember that they'll find their way either to great, awesome stories and well-written stuff and enjoy this game on its own terms, with enough confidence to use their own ideas, or grow tired of it and leave, or be small enough to squish with a well-placed Hammer at the very worst.

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 03:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What's the point?

For every person who doesn't care about the game, there is a Buddleia. There is a Twosocks Monkey Rosemoo.

For every person who doesn't listen, there is a Howard Millpond. There is a Cherriki Ten.

For every person who ignores people entirely, there is an Ebenezer. There is an Adder Moray.

As for people who say "nah" to CMJ and Emily's writing for our setting, and set up their own thing....well, that also has two sides. I've seen many people in the three years I've been playing take that way too far, to the point of other people who wanted to befriend them, play with them, walking away from them in dozens because their writing was wrapped up only in what they want, and everything else can just go away.

I will also always remember the day a very lost, very confused, worried Winnie-the-Pooh showed up in Improbable Central. Several canon characters were solicitous, kind, and patient. He even left the outpost holding hands with two Humanfolk who were going to help him find Christopher Robin. It is still one of the funniest, most touching things I've ever read.

Also, I believe Skidge had just left two hours or so earlier, in search of mimsy borogroves. That memory might be purely apocryphal, though.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 03:42 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Marly

Ahm. Well, personally, my preference is to lead by example. "BUT MARLY!" you all shout at me in anger, irritation, and genuine affection, "YOUR EXAMPLE IS TO NOT BE AROUND!"

Ahem.

We've seen things like this before: people play stereotypes and fanfiction. It happens. I just act like I've never heard it before and take them on their own terms. I play things that are fun for others, I do things that are inclusive and Island-y. Or at least not whatever-it-is-they-are-y. Like bumping into people and making them drop their grenades. (Sorry, Ada!) Just do something. If they want to join, then okay, they find it fun and move on and grow. Or they stay stuck in a series of in-jokes and when the dynamic in NewHome changes AGAIN right under their feet, they're gonna change or leave. Or they'll get bored before then and leave. How many of us have the exact same character we had when we started? Yeah, I'm looking at you. You with the embarrassing wing incident before you figured out you want to be one of the cool kids. And the tail. And the super powers. And the Dramabomb. Seriously, LSP much?

We all change our characters as we learn. We all still do embarrassing things. Does it mean we shouldn't try? Nope! But it does mean that we shouldn't worry overmuch. It's a problem, yeah, and we need to talk about it and encourage people to creativity. But it's still unfolding and has its own way of resolving itself and we'll need to keep that in mind. We get horrible players and characters. They tend to either need a Hammer or a Gentle Reminder if they stay that way. Other times, we see evolution and adaptation in action.

So, yeah, let's work on things. Let's find a solution. Let's not be vehement about it, let's lead by example. Let's remember that they'll find their way either to great, awesome stories and well-written stuff and enjoy this game on its own terms, with enough confidence to use their own ideas, or grow tired of it and leave, or be small enough to squish with a well-placed Hammer at the very worst.

**Squirms in seat** I know you don't mea- well, yes, let's be perfectly honest. I am a perfect example of the embarrassing things bit. We're not getting into that though as I believe I have already ruined my sparkling reputation and demeaned myself in another thread (No, I am not going to go get it so you people can laugh at me, tyvm)

The Marly-baa is right though and really I should know better than to bitch (if what I did could really be called bitching) and I'd say she's a pretty good authority on it. ;P She's one of the three major reasons why I am a better roleplayer.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 03:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*skips through, throwing glitter*

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Marly
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

The Marly-baa is right though and really I should know better than to bitch (if what I did could really be called bitching) and I'd say she's a pretty good authority on it. ;P She's one of the three major reasons why I am a better roleplayer.

You'd better be one of the other two reasons. YOU did a lot of work to correct yourself, to learn, to grow. YOU wanted to. If you hadn't, you'd have left. And that's... the point Big Grin There are players that won't want to, and there are those who will. They'll find their feet or sink. This metaphor will mix itself, not stir.

Profile Email
Lunasol
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 07:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I realized one last thing that worries me about this trend. There are THREE vriskas. Three gamzees and two Karkats. At some point my char is going to meet more than one of these people and assume clones...

Actually... That sounds fun.

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Tuesday, July 10 2012 @ 09:00 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Harris

I will also always remember the day a very lost, very confused, worried Winnie-the-Pooh showed up in Improbable Central. Several canon characters were solicitous, kind, and patient. He even left the outpost holding hands with two Humanfolk who were going to help him find Christopher Robin.

D'aww! Where was I, when that happened? Cruel fate that keeps me away from this wonderful game, cruel, cruel fate. I would have so liked to be there, I could have helped! I know where Christopher Robin is, you see. Well, sort of. There's The House at Pooh Corner, at least, and not far from IC either, up in Polyhippopolis. Pout.

Anyways, thus being said. Though I haven't been able to play much lately (because even if I have a bit of time on my hands, it's never for long and I also never know for exactly how long that 'not long' is), but that doesn't mean I've forsaken II. I still read the Enquirer and I peek at RP from time to time, especially in New Home lately, because of a recent thread in the same Enquirer. I don't know how to put in a nice link from the top of my hat (or from the bottom of my shoes, either), but it was one about the atmosphere in NH.
From what I've seen in my sporadic incursions, what's been going on lately there is nowhere near bad. Compared to some older times, perhaps. I do confess I don't understand all the references, but I kinda' pegged it to me getting old, and being out of the loop. So as writing outside the cannon goes, what I've seen doesn't strike me as half bad. Must say that though I tend to keep cannon myself, I don't mind characters from other memeverses or literaryverses or comicverses or whateververses all that much. As long as they are well written and fun to read. But again, I haven't seen the three whatistsis, the two hookah-pookah-something or other and so on. Nor played/written with them. Anyways, I think it's going to die down. I remember a time when NH was full of dragons. And now? I haven't seen even one in a while now. So there you go.
Helpful? Hrm. Not sure. Just a point of view(ok, rant) put here because I can't keep my big keyboard shut, I guess.

Profile Email
ShadowGhost
 Wednesday, July 11 2012 @ 01:08 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Marly

We've seen things like this before: people play stereotypes and fanfiction. It happens. I just act like I've never heard it before and take them on their own terms.

That's basically what I think the answer is, which gives me a particular bonus of usually not knowing the references, but personally when I see a reference I actually do know, I think it's pretty cool as long as it's written well. I understand the frustration some people may feel from creating their own character, and then seeing someone else just taking a pre-developed char from somewhere else, but if the narr is worth their weight, that could actually get rather hilarious. To see Immortal Baddass A from your favorite series running around in frilly pink panties doing, well, anything; is something I personally would love to see. And as it has been said, they'll evolve as they spend time on the island. I know my character certainly did. And to the original two fears, A) If they don't know the series, they'll be in the same boat I am, they'll think it's just a character the person made... As long as there's only one of them in the area. Secondly, it'll pass. The island is like anywhere else, it has phases and fads. In the end, the only thing you can do is make the best of what you are given and have the most fun possible with it, fifth wall breakage or no. Big Grin

Profile Email
jenkins
 Wednesday, July 11 2012 @ 05:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Lunasol

...until there are so many that it becomes a Zompire problem...

Ahem. Zompires. Yes. Right.

My bad.*

Anyway, I've never actually read the comic, personally, though I've noticed two small, peculiar occurences in Newhome lately.

1. There are 3 or 4 troll characters
2. People like commenting occasionally about how cool Homestuck is.

I've never put them together until I heard trolls were in Homestruck, from this exact thread.
So, I don't think the rookies that haven't heard of Homestuck will get scared off by Story references that they won't even notice.**

* Wait. That happened before you even got here! How'd you know about that?

**Unless EVERYONE reads Homestuck, and I'm just living under a cozy rock.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 11 2012 @ 06:46 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

And in truth, youve said it before. Its not like you can step in and say "Look here, I want you to play YOUR characters MY way."

Can... just don't. It'd be mean to those playing fifth-wall-breaking characters. Although lately it's been getting out of hand, so...

Im just wondering if we can say "I want you to play your characters... maybe over there."

Absolutely, as long as you're polite about it.

Profile Email Website
quinn
 Monday, July 16 2012 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: jenkins

...until there are so many that it becomes a Zompire problem...

Ahem. Zompires. Yes. Right.

My bad.*

Who doesn't know Jenkins...?

Nothing really to add. Just had to comment. Angry

Profile Email
rbead
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

until there are so many that it becomes a Zompire problem

The Homestuckers stuck their home on the same square as my house. We're the only Places there.
dammit I thought I escaped issues of this breadth when we got rid of that plot

Please tell me this is a coincidence and not, like, vigilante-style karma visitation.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply