Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Improbable Island: Minecraft Edition
 |  Printable Version
Waverly
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 08:14 AM UTC (Read 3269 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Title's pretty much self-explanatory. For those who don't know, Minecraft https://www.minecraft.net/ is a game where you can build almost anything you like out of blocks. It has a multiplayer/collaborative feature and I'm almost sure it allows the creation of NPCs.

And it has monsters.

Just allow yourself a blissful moment of imagining a tiny version of your Island character strolling through a fully furnished Kittania or AceHigh, having a chat with eBoy, or facing off a pixelated SpiderKitty armed only with a butter knife, and tell me that doesn't sound awesome.

So..! Anyone who knows anything about Minecraft... how do we do this? Kestrel (who I got the idea from) and Maniak (who had the same idea) both know a little something about it, and I've talked to them, but I don't actually play Minecraft yet so at this point I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 09:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

sdfjkl I don't even have any good ideas but I'm so in

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 10:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I um. I just prefer text myself.

Frown

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes, let me give out some random thoughts I had while reading this:

* You can't create NPCs without mods. And if you want to recreate some II characters, that will probably take a bit of Java coding.
*Minecraft is indeed enjoyable! I'd love to play sometimes if a server was online.
*If somebody needs to start a server, they should check http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ or something, and make sure they can have an Internet connection on at all times. Unless you rent a server, but I guess that costs money.
*I'd love to help anybody set a server up!

-Not Rose.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Omega
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 01:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wait, wait. One more thing! Tahvohck was speaking of plans to recreate Improbable Island on Minecraft, actually! But he was opposed to creating it on a multiplayer server for reasons I can't recall.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Waverly

Just allow yourself a blissful moment of imagining a tiny version of your Island character strolling through a fully furnished Kittania or AceHigh, having a chat with eBoy, or facing off a pixelated SpiderKitty armed only with a butter knife, and tell me that doesn't sound awesome.

It does not! At all.

(Sorry, not adding anything here, but couldn't let Rose think she was the only one.)

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 04:24 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Huh. If we're going to add Places, this will be a behemoth worthy of only the finest and most pocket-emptying servers.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 11:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh. I think I didn't read your post carefully enough, Waverly. I was thinking more recreating just the general shape of the Island, as in from the world map. That I really do think would be neat. I've never heard anything about NPCs in Minecraft, and definitely not player-generated ones. I think it could be done, if you wanted to custom-skin a player character or a mob. Minecraft is really a building game, though.

Profile Email
Waverly
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 12:02 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Omega

* You can't create NPCs without mods. And if you want to recreate some II characters, that will probably take a bit of Java coding....

*If somebody needs to start a server, they should check http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ or something, and make sure they can have an Internet connection on at all times. Unless you rent a server, but I guess that costs money.

*I'd love to help anybody set a server up!

*Wait, wait. One more thing! Tahvohck was speaking of plans to recreate Improbable Island on Minecraft, actually! But he was opposed to creating it on a multiplayer server for reasons I can't recall.

I know... absolutely nothing about Java coding? There's probably someone who does, though.

Hmn, Maniak said something about servers as well. Looking through Google or the Minecraft wiki to figure out how to do that seems to be in order here, if there's enough interested people.

Yay for help! Big Grin Awesome.

Also I will distract Tavohck, if he's already starting something he probably knows a lot more about it than I do. Which is easy since I know nothing about Minecraft other than it looked cool.

Quote by: Collin-Vee

*Huh. If we're going to add Places, this will be a behemoth worthy of only the finest and most pocket-emptying servers.

Mmn... probably not, actually? I'm definitely not thinking of trying to recreate the Island exactly, it just sounded like a fun diversion to walk around the main outposts and jungles in 3D. Very vanilla canon. Adding in Places is like you said, a huge undertaking and also I think it'd be difficult to capture the feel of them.

Profile Email
Waverly
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 12:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Iriana

Oh. I think I didn't read your post carefully enough, Waverly. I was thinking more recreating just the general shape of the Island, as in from the world map. That I really do think would be neat. I've never heard anything about NPCs in Minecraft, and definitely not player-generated ones. I think it could be done, if you wanted to custom-skin a player character or a mob. Minecraft is really a building game, though.

Yeah, I was thinking mostly along those lines. While it would be awesome to make NPCs, if it's not possible then eh.

Also the boyfriend tells me you can't customize monsters without more coding, so just a map is probably what we'd be working with.

which still sounds awesome

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 01:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: WaverlyAlso the boyfriend tells me you can't customize monsters without more coding, so just a map is probably what we'd be working with.

which still sounds awesome[/p]

There ARE mods to help out with this sort of thing, but it'd take some trickery to do the monsters. Minecraft couldn't really do the less physical ones, like the Fourth Wall or the House with a view of HELL.

EDIT: though, we COULD make a house somewhere with a nether-like area visible through a window, just because.

EDIT2: If we ARE going to do this, we'll need to define how big things will be. I can use WorldPainter to make an island, but we'll need to define how large a Klick will be, block-wise.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

EDIT2: If we ARE going to do this, we'll need to define how big things will be. I can use WorldPainter to make an island, but we'll need to define how large a Klick will be, block-wise.

That's pretty easy, I'd think. A Klick is 1000 blocks by 1000 blocks.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 02:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

But how will we cheat? How could we make the diagonal the same length as one side of the square? Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Collin-Vee
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

That's pretty easy, I'd think. A Klick is 1000 blocks by 1000 blocks.

Sounds fine. Can you FIT an outpost into that area, though?

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

But how will we cheat? How could we make the diagonal the same length as one side of the square? Big Grin

With MODS, that's how!

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 04:21 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Uuuuuuuuh.... fuck. See... thing is. Could be done. But... jeez. The thought of what's going to have to go into this... Let me actually try to list this. In order of difficulty... (And do please remember I'm being intentionally pessimistic here so that I don't miss anything. Take it all with a grain of salt.)

Level one
>Building the Island. Pretty simple. Still:
-Decide on how big a "click" is. The suggested 1k square would work if we want to put in reasonable sized dwellings but seriously, have you minecraft players out there ever walked 1,000 blocks? You remember how long that took? The island would be 40,000 tall by 25,000 wide. The trip from Newhome to CC404 would be 34,785 blocks.

-Okay, we've got a click held down. Now we need a heightmap. I don't know about you, but I've only seen one map that could be considered a heightmap. And frankly, that's not a very detailed one. Still, kinda simple. We make our own. Not really that hard in the end.

Level two
-So we've got those. Now we have to put it together. That is not happening by hand. With the suggested size of 1k per click and say... 30 for the maximum height difference? 30,000,000,000 (30 trillion) blocks we have to work in. Let's exaggerate a little here. Two thirds of those are air. And let's say we can leave half where they are. That's still 5 trillion blocks. Okay. Solution. World edit. Simple, really, and it can even take care of pesky things like trees and water. Even still. World Edit's a bit of a bitch to use blind, and last I checked it's visual add on doesn't work anymore. Oh, and it murders your computer working on even a few thousand blocks at a time.

-So we've got the Island built. The land of it. Now we have to build the outposts. Does anyone actually know hard pat what these things look like? Ah well, we build. Maybe a few people working at a time to make each outpost not a single person.

>Biomes. We are eventually going to run into Biome issues. I don't think there's any way to fix that, really. There's going to be snow in NewHome, and deserts in Acehigh. Even if we cover it up, it's still going to seem a little weird. (Then again, Island.) World Edit might be able to take care of it. Coding could. Maybe even an external map builder. But I've not looked into things like that, so I don't know.

So we've got a working model of the Island. Looks right, is a good map. Now the hard parts.
Level three
>NPCs.
-Yes, they exist in game. They're stupid. And I don't mean that as a jab at the idea. I mean their AI is fairly limited. They're also precoded, and therefore not going to do what we want. Still, the code is in the game. We can use that as templates, but special code (and therefore mods) are going to be involved. I've never done a server mod. But I do know enough Java to make one easily. That said, I'm only one person. Creating and debugging would probably take me at least two weeks. To get them personalized and active. Placing them would be a whole other thing.

-Placing them. We don't want Maiko wandering off with the cooking.

-Dialog trees. Seriously, that's going to take a while. At an estimate, let's say we need trees for 20 NPCs. Each one we want to have 20 things to say. (That's still not much, really.) That's still 400 different dialogs to write up. Oh, and not to mention the code to enable talking in the first place. I don't think that's in there.

>Monsters.
-Okay, so... Monsters are actually kind of easy. Many of them will mostly follow the AI that already exists. Mostly. But there are a lot of monsters. That's another while to code them in, unless I can make a base and specifics build off that, drawing from external files [tangent]which frankly I think Minecraft really ought to do in the first place. Minecraft code does stupid things.[/tangent]

-On the other hand? Models. I am no good at making 3d models. And without that, there's kind of no reason to make monsters.

>Weapons: See monsters.

>Armor: See weapons.

So we get all that done. Now for not necessarily the hardest part, but probably the most expensive one
The server. With all the modifications to the code, this would be taxing in singleplayer. Multiplayer is going to be hell for this machine. So we either need to a) rent a server with relatively good specs, b) I need to buy a new dedicated tower and set it up, c) find someone who already has a powerful computer, knows how to link it out to the web, can guarantee it will be up most days, and knows how to manage a server, including mods, or [tangent]d)build an entirely new game from the ground up using C++ or some other language that doesn't hate gaming. Seriously, Java is god awful when it comes to gaming.[/tangent]

I've probably missed something. A lot of things wouldn't pop up until the project was halfway through anyway. But the end result is we need a few things:
>Time.
>People who know how to code, and are willing to dedicate some time to this. Hopefully a group of at least five.
>People who are willing to devote some time to building the landscape.
>People to write the dialog trees. Preferably people who have shown good Roleplaying skills.
>A server to run it on.

That said. I would love to be involved in this. It would be awesome to get it set up. It's just that for a bit, this would be a job more than a game. As a cautious estimate, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a month to get the whole thing set up. (And if Minecraft updates, all the coding side will get fucked over, by the way.) Keep that in mind.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.24 seconds
New Topic Post Reply