Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Island Book Club
 |  Printable Version
Skidge
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 04:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

MAAAAAAX! Welcome back, naughty boy.

I've been making up fake books for two days now. Cannotwaitcannotwaitcannotwait. But will wait. Until there is a right proper place to hold it. But. I cannot wait. Especially since I've seen people commenting here who I don't think I've EVER RP'd with, plus a ridiculous amount of people I REGULARLY RP with, and the combination makes me all tingly and cheerful. That and the fact that you guys come up with great ideas...fake books? What? That's EXCELLENT.

Oh. It should be noted that if you HAVE commented on this thread? You went on a LIST. And if you go ON to comment on this thread? You're going on it, too. Be Warned. It's a good list, though. You won't find horse heads in your beds or anything.

Dusk: you a'make'a me geegle.

Everybody: You're killing me DEAD, people. My Book of Books To Read has two more pages in it. TWO MORE PAGES. Of books. For me to read. FROM YOUUUUUUU. It is a most delightful scenario.

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 05:02 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Hee! Glad to be back, guys.

Also wanted to add The Name of the Rose or Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

(P.S. Until further notice, Wilberforce is Max's season 2 incarnation.)

Profile Email
XaNe
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 07:21 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

well...lots of new books/authors/Ideas. I'll update the list some time tomorrow, I promise. For now, I need to sleep...what, I have a flight in the morning, don't look at me like that Frown

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Tuesday, September 08 2009 @ 02:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Certainly not a suggestion for a book club, but on a book theme ... I recently chanced on three titles that seemed relevant to Imp Island...

"Pyscho Kitty", "Twisted Whiskers" and "Hiss and Tell". Eek!

All by Pam Johnson-Bennett, who is apparently one of those 'pets with behaviour-problems' gurus.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/books.htm

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
omenesia
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 06:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Max+Dougwell

Hee! Glad to be back, guys.

Also wanted to add The Name of the Rose or Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

(P.S. Until further notice, Wilberforce is Max's season 2 incarnation.)

Oh Foucault's Pendulum! I liked that a lot more than The Name of The Rose for some reason, probably cause I'd seen Derrick Jacobi's Cadfael already,

And now I can worry about this crazed librarian's list I'll be doubly on. Laughing Out Loud

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Merlin
 Thursday, September 10 2009 @ 04:33 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

oh books. how I love you so... how I love when people talk about you and your wonderfulness.

I would mention Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. magic and fantasy set in the victorian era, with a voice in the same vein as Jane Austen. Rather long, but nice.... (and full of wonderful footnotes on the history of english magic. always important to know.)

and of course, anything by Neil Gaiman makes a Merlin very happy. (The Graveyard Book = love)

Profile Email
Anonymous: talkydoor
 Thursday, September 10 2009 @ 08:40 PM UTC  

I *love* this idea, both I and OOC, real and fake books. Think it could be a lot of fun.

Was going to write a list of my favourite books, but most of the authors have been mentioned already and the others have been evacuated from my brain by the sheer awesomeness of all the suggestions.

Really looking forward to this being implemented!

Binjali
 Friday, September 18 2009 @ 06:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Newb, here, but would just like to say how incredibly delighted I am by this idea! Also, I'm glad to see these suggestions as I now a)have books to read and b)have a feel for what kind of people hang 'round here. (Oh my GOD people mentioned Bridge of Birds, I adore that book! I didn't think there was anyone out there who had read it! *squee!*)

So, Bridge of Birds obviously, Tuesday Next by Jasper Fforde, anything by Patrica C. Wrede (she writes fun romp fantasy books that have a tendency to not take themselves too seriously), I'll read anything by Diane Duane at least once. If we do Tolkien, it might finally be the impetus that gets me past The Fellowship of the Ring. For sci fi, Asimov and Heinlein, of course. I wouldn't mind an excuse to read Caves of Steel again. And, okay, technically it's more space opera than "real" sci fi, but I enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold hugely. I haven't read everything by Terry Pratchett, but Small Gods was particularly good. I finally got my hands on The Neverending Story and recently finished it. It should probably be required reading at some age.

That's everything off the top of my head. If I had my books unpacked...

As for the other idea, made up books and making up the plot as the conversation happens, I LOVE IT. Twisted Evil

I'll probably stalk this thread until I find out where, when, and what books to (re)read.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Friday, September 18 2009 @ 03:09 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Binjali, you may also be interested in this thread. Smile

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Tyr
 Friday, September 18 2009 @ 03:55 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'll umpteenth Pratchett and Gaiman, and throw out The Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross. Lovecraftian horror, spy thriller, and sci-fi, all in one book. It's very, well, improbable.

Profile Email
Binjali
 Friday, September 18 2009 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zolotisty

Binjali, you may also be interested in this thread. Smile

I had just found that thread when I gave up and went to bed last night, but on the behalf of alternate universe me that didn't find it, thanks! Big Grin

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm suggesting, in honour of the Jokers returning, "The Dice Man", by Luke Rhinehart.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
SinkOrSwim
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 09:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

From me:

Iain Banks (or Iain M Banks, depending which of his genres you prefer)
Fiction - The Wasp Factory is a work of twisted genius. The Bridge is just plain awesome.
Sci-Fi - Player of Games is one of my favourites, but the names of the ships in all of the Culture books crack me up.

I'd also add Michael Moorcock to it - if I had read them recently, Jerry Cornelius may well have appeared Ex Libris

I'd wholeheartedly agree with Pratchett and Gaiman. Can we include 'graphic novels'? The Sandman series are well worth it.

And for Bernard: Fly Fishing, by J.R. Hartley

... Grace is just the measure of a fall ...

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 10:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Some previously unnamed suggestions coming from me (obviously). Notice that I am not too well-versed in english literature, as French litterature is more present and available where I live:

Fantasy:
-The series The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, of Stephen R. Donaldson
-Knights of Emerald, from Anne Robillard (some like it, others not. I'm from the second type)
-Soldier Son Trilogy from Robin Hobb
-R. A. Salvatore's many series on Drizzt Do'Urden, especially for those who know have some knowledge of and other Forgotten Realms novels.

Urban Fantasy:
-Wizard of the Pigeons, of Megan Lindholm (aka Robin Hobb)

Science Fiction:
-Bernard Werber's wonderful work. I'm not sure wether it's only in French or not, though.

...And now I take notice of my leaking memory. The brain remembers so much, then dumps a lot.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

^Ooh, I do love Robin Hobb. I prefer her Farseer nontuplet (?) tho, for sheer immersive escapism.

I would like to recommend Mary Gentle's 'Ash: A Secret History' but... I can't. When I finally got to the end, after a month of reading (I think that's a personal record on a fiction) I went: It's Improbable Island! It explains the whole thing really well... But that's in the second afterword, which is 1100ish pages in. If anyone fancies a challenge, this book is well worth reading for its II implications, but not as a book club book!

Profile Email
omenesia
 Friday, September 25 2009 @ 07:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Ebenezer

It's not too late for me to put in my oar, is it?

Personally, I like the idea of an in-character book club. People could always brush up on whatever-book-it-is on Wikipedia instead of really reading it. It would also be much more comical (and thus fun) if we mixed in a few people who either couldn't read at all or didn't read the story and tried to make it up as they went. . .

Come on. Imagine the antics.

An in-game Island Book Club could be well integrated with people's idea for making/creating in-game books.
I could see the book club as a means to make a synopsis or summary of any new II books, which could then be added the the Wiki of Lies for further expansion and later (mis-)reference, so that newly joining members could catch up on the earlier reading list.

--
Also, has no one mentioned William Gibson? Seriously? (Maybe I missed it, if someone already has. And if not, shame on me for not doing it earlier!)
The Sprawl trilogy and Burning Chrome are definitely iconic cyberpunk.

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Monday, September 28 2009 @ 02:41 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Someone did mention Gibson, though I prefer Bruce Sterling. I liked Holy Fire quite a lot, and Distraction. Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. Almost anything by John Varley! A Clockwork Orange, of course. Robert Sawyer's Hominids, David Palmer's Emergence, Steven Gould's Reflex. I second Adam's Dirk Gently novel's, including the incredibly frustratingly half-finished Salmon of Doubt. So sad...

For non-SF I like Pirsig's Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Any of John D. Macdonald's 21 Travis McGee books.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, October 17 2009 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Have to mention Jeff Noon - Vert and others. Seriously trippy, seriously good.

Also, just to mention the elephant in the room that no-one has specifically mentioned (as far as I can tell). Surely the first book read should be 'Good Omens' Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman I think that that's the only book that they collaborated on. It's actually the only Gaiman that I've read. (Yes, yes, I know, I'm a fool to myself. I will do, one day.)

Profile Email
BrunorBL
 Saturday, October 17 2009 @ 10:19 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: SinkOrSwim

I'd also add Michael Moorcock to it - if I had read them recently, Jerry Cornelius may well have appeared Ex Libris

Indeed! Cornelius is the source of much... inspiration *hurries off to re-invent his character in another game*.

Right now, I endorse Peake's Gormenghast novels (starting with Titus Groan) for their wealth of description. They are not exactly fast-paced, though!

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, October 18 2009 @ 07:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have noticed a number of Islanders that seem to be fond of hats. So while reading a classic novel last week, I came across a description of a hat that seemed ... unusual (both the description and the hat), and thought, hhmm ... wonder if anyone on the Island would like that. Then I remembered the book club ... seems to tie it in nicely. So here it is:

His was one of those composite pieces of headgear in which you may trace features of bearskin, lancer-cap and bowler, night-cap and otterskin: one of those pathetic objects that are deeply expressive in their dumb ugliness, like an idiot's face. An oval splayed out with whale-bone, it started off with three pompoms; these were followed by lozenges of velvet and rabbits fur alternately, seperated by a red band, and after that came a kind of bag, ending in a polygon of cardboard with intricate braiding on it; and from this there hung down like a tassel, at the end of a long, too slender cord, a little sheaf of gold threads. It was a new cap, with a shiny peak.

So, for those that like a challenge, I'll wait a few days before I post the author and title. Your only clues (unless you ask for more) are that it's from a 1800's novel, and the author is neither American nor English.

Cheers.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.63 seconds
New Topic Post Reply