Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Island Book Club
 |  Printable Version
talkydoor
 Sunday, October 18 2009 @ 10:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm, what a hideous hat! (Sounds about right actually)

*settles down to think*

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, October 18 2009 @ 11:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It occurs to me that I should add that the hat does not feature in the story. The description given is, from recollection, the only time that it is mentioned.

Neither is the owner of the hat the main protagonist of the story, though he is a significant character to the plot.

So perhaps I've been a bit ... demanding. Let me know if you want more more clues.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, October 19 2009 @ 02:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: BrunorBL

Right now, I endorse Peake's Gormenghast novels (starting with Titus Groan) for their wealth of description. They are not exactly fast-paced, though!

Hey! Another Gormenghast fan! I love those books. I've read them too often. Love the descriptions, love the place, love the way its simultaneously deadly serious and completely absurd.

Daedalus. More clues please. Is the author anglophone / is the book written in English?

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Wednesday, October 21 2009 @ 06:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The original (1857) was not published in English until it was translated some 40 years afterwards.

He was not a native English speaker.

He was not a prolific author; in fact he was renowned for spending years on each of his works, of which only about a dozen were published.

His masterpiece, from which the passage was cited, was originally serialised in a newspaper, and created a storm of controversy, such that both the author and the newspaper publisher were charged under obscenity laws. They were acquitted after a four month trial. The book regularly appears in lists of 'best novels ever written' etc.

Both Kafka and Satre mentioned him as an important influence. He is sometimes described as a founding figure of the Realist movement in literature.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, October 25 2009 @ 09:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The kewpie doll goes to Sicpuess, who distracted me with the answer ... Gustave Flaubert's "Madame Bovary".

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 01:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Anything happening to it now? As dwellings are now up and and working?

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Reverb
 Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 02:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, there is a Library nowadays, although i have not stopped by to have a look, i must admit. The Improbable Island Free Public Library, location: (4, 6)

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Saturday, March 20 2010 @ 11:39 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Book club. With both real and invented books. It's a brilliant idea! When do we start? Too bad my character is not quite the type for that, she didn't even finish high school. But, dammit, I can make her like books. I can control her. Bwhahaha!

Possible books for the Improbable Book Club: what about the fictional works of fiction? Like Don Quixote by Pierre Menard? or Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Guilt But Were Too Ashamed To Find Out by Oolon Colluphid or The Grasshopper Lies Heavy by Hawthorne Abendsen? In addition of those we can make up, some that have already been made up. Does it make any sense?

Profile Email
Skidge
 Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 01:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Eek!

..................WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT I DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT IT ENTIRELY

IT IS ALL PART OF THE PLAN...to um...........mnhhhh.............................

SO, ISLAND BOOK CLUB YOU SAY??!!!!

Profile Email
Rosin
 Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ISLAND BOOK CLUB, WE SAY!

Okay, since I am a fan of almost any type of stories (though fiction always struck me as slightly better than most non-fiction, except for this one book about Vasily Zaitsev, had a big important meaning to me at the time but whatever!) I heartily like this whole idea.

FALSE BOOKS YES!
After all, there is ALMOST A CENTURY OF LITERATURE BETWEEN NOW AND THE EMP DISASTER, GOODNESS. Who knows what was written in that time! It could be anything!

REALBOOKS TOO!
Out of character might be the best course for real books, after all some characters just might not be the reading type. (Rosin would read a book of technical specifications on machines day and night, but once she got her hands on a novel she might wander away after a few chapters and never return, sad.)

ADDITION TO PEOPLES' READING LISTS? ABSURD!
Also, a short story/smallnovel that I was told about a while ago; Very fun science fiction read by Jack Williamson. 'The Humanoids' and its precursor novella 'With Folded Hands'. This was an intriguing read, quite engaging for me. I'd recommend it, if anyone could find a copy at their respective local libraries.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Cake Ninja
 Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 05:52 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I wholeheartedly agree with the notion of an island book club, I'm surprised that I didn't find this thread earlier!

Alternate text for this message: ISLAND BOOK CLUB I SAY!

Profile Email
Lady Jack
 Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 06:45 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Book Club?

Yespleaseyespleaseyesplease!

I mean... what a wonderful idea!

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Tuesday, March 12 2013 @ 06:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Recently I was pondering projects to do a bit of clan related promotional stuff. Preferably making use of the Perpetual Symposium, which includes a Library. Randomly co-incedental to that, in story was couple of mentions of books, people looking for books, bibliophilia (usw).

Eventually the phrase 'Book Club' floated up through my cognitive soup, followed really quickly by a recollection of this thread.

So, three and half years later, I'm resurrecting it. Now this thread got a bit distracted into actual book discussions. Which is great, and revealed a strong bibliophile contingent in the then readership. I'm going to try to stick to the question of "A club, or not to Club?" for now. Not to say you shouldn't discuss the book stuff as well. Where was I ...?

My first question is: Skidge, if this gets a popular nod, it was your idea first, wanna run with it?
My second: "Did an IC book club ever get going? If so, is it still going?" .
My third: "If it didn't, or isn't, would you like it if I try to get one going?"

Here's some of my current thinking on how it might work:

A monthly (real time) book is listed for discussion (just like RL book clubs, huh?) I'm thinking 'real' books for that part. Additionally players discuss RP'd titles at their own timing.

For some thoughts on the made up/RP ones go back through this thread.

The use of real books is a tad more difficult, in terms of books being both affordable and available to everyone. Not to mention copyright/IP. What if it was limited to public domain books from free innermernetweb sources, such as Project Gutenberg, and those other-ones I can't remember the name/s of?

(Edit: a quick google brought up lots of possible sources. If this idea gets up I'll canvass input into that train of thought later.)

There might be weighting towards out-of-copyright classics because of the copyright issues. I'd need to look into that.

Here's a scenario then:
The Academy builds a specific Book Club room onto The Perpetual Symposium. (Conveniently close to IC is my only reason for that location. Perhaps a dedicated Place elsewhere? Your thoughts?) Once a month a real book title is listed for discussion over the coming month, and you're welcome to post discussion on the book, what you did/didn't like about it, did/didn't understand about ... all the usual book club stuff. As serious or silly as you like. At the same time, it's always open for discussion on invented/RP titles. And discussion on real but non-topic-of-the-month books as well. Anything book related.

If it has/is been/being done ... let me know, and I'll drop it. Or join it. Whatever.

And of course, a structured non-game book club could probably survive right here in the Enquirer (subject to Dan's approval, natch)

D.

PS: I'm keenly aware that there are other libraries (hail to thee, Skidge!) and book-related Places that have been built around the Island, and I don't mean to dismiss or ignore those. If owners are keen to have their book-themed Places used I'd certainly consider the club visit or rotate through other locations. I was thinking though of asking some programming guru from the Academy (I'm looking at HM, perhaps?) if there's any programming enhancements that might be feasible/fun to build into the project. That might make use of a single location necessary. Or not. So location is very much open to discussion on that score as well.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, March 13 2013 @ 12:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Daedalus

My second: "Did an IC book club ever get going? If so, is it still going?"

Allow me to obligatorily mention Twosocks Monkey's R. Harpo's Nocturnal Submissions, aka Harpo's Book Club and Sundry, due to the "Book Club" in the name.
Whether or not it's still going is left as an exercise for the reader.
(In addition, the Nocturnal Submissions, submission thread has a couple unused fake book titles, for you enthusiasts.)

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Friday, March 15 2013 @ 10:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Quote by: Daedalus

My second: "Did an IC book club ever get going? If so, is it still going?"

Allow me to obligatorily mention Twosocks Monkey's R. Harpo's Nocturnal Submissions, aka Harpo's Book Club and Sundry, due to the "Book Club" in the name.
Whether or not it's still going is left as an exercise for the reader.
(In addition, the Nocturnal Submissions, submission thread has a couple unused fake book titles, for you enthusiasts.)

Have I told you lately I love you FML?

I really need to do that review of Whistle's book.

The poor thing is in limbo, but not CANCELLED just sorta... I got bored for awhile.

Dang it. Maybe I will resurrect it.

moooooo

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply