Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Dwelling Suggestions
 |  Printable Version
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, March 02 2010 @ 01:52 AM UTC (Read 14425 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just starting this thread for some minor suggestions so we can keep them off of the Dwelling Feedback thread, if that makes things easier.

The issue that I have a suggestion for is decoration. Someone raised the point that adding a plant doesn't require you to tear down all your wallpaper, destroy all the paintings on the walls and completely tear up the carpet, just to put the plant in and then fix everything back the way it was.

I propose this instead:

Suppose you decorated for the difference?

Example:
First decorating job costs 100 actions.
Correction and addition of a ficus costs 110 actions.

For the decorating job between them, why not pay only the difference of 10 turns?

Likewise for something like,

First = 100 turns,
Second = 90 turns.

Still pay the difference of ten turns to redecorate it.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, March 02 2010 @ 02:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Keys

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Raiment
 Tuesday, March 02 2010 @ 05:01 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I agree with this sentiment entirely! I spent some 75 turns decorating a room in my dwelling, only to realize later that I wanted to spruce it up by adding a few color codes. The new description would take 79 decorations. I scrapped the idea since I'd already spent so much time on the first go.

Shouldn't my hard work pay off by making my new decoration additions cost the difference and not the whole? I feel, too, that this needs a look at. Also, subtracting from an original description shouldn't cost very much, I'd say.

To add something else, I feel the term "Floor Space" should be changed to "Sleeping Area," for the sake of role-players and nit pickers. A lot of people have built bedrooms, even including a description saying, "there is a bed that could fit four people." Yet I still find myself kicked to sleeping on the floor. Pretty amusing, I'd say.

Profile Email
Mack
 Tuesday, March 02 2010 @ 06:11 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I believe I was the on to bring up the issue previously, and I agree with K.K.'s sentiments.

The issue of having a shorter description after previously having a long one could be solved by simply allowing the short description. I don't know how I'd feel about my 93 decoration room returning to the 22 decoration one after an event, and having to redo the 71 uses to make it shorter.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, March 02 2010 @ 12:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mack

I believe I was the on to bring up the issue previously, and I agree with K.K.'s sentiments.

The issue of having a shorter description after previously having a long one could be solved by simply allowing the short description. I don't know how I'd feel about my 93 decoration room returning to the 22 decoration one after an event, and having to redo the 71 uses to make it shorter.

The reason being that if you wanted to take out carpet, it still takes some work.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Mack
 Wednesday, March 03 2010 @ 04:53 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I see what you mean. I guess removing decorations would take quite a bit of work too.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 04:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here's a minor gripe I have-

I kicked someone out of my house about a week ago, and now whenever I enter that house, it always give the message:

Looking around, you see the following people:
Rookie The Guy You Just Kicked Out

It bothers me that even after kicking someone OUT of my house, they are still apparently in the room. Especially bothersome because if that person never signs back in, they don't seem to go away. EVER. Could it be possible to not consider a person in the room after you kick them out?

Profile Email
Raiment
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 07:37 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well, as suggestions go this is much more of a wish list or a request than anything:

I want to put monsters in my dwelling, either caged or roaming, that would be capable of attacking players.
I want my dwelling to have a "jungle" area (sans hopital tent, if plausible), or some kind of dungeon dynamic to it like the abandoned factory.
I also want to have some sort of vending machine that i can stock with Medkits, Teleporters, and Energy Drinks for all the hapless travelers that DO run into something while searching around the place. The vending machines could also act as incentive to explore even with the possibility of attack, as I run into a lot of items on my treks across the Island and could easily give away one-shots (and medkits, lord) for cheap as a prize for reaching the end of said dungeon/dwelling.

Profile Email
Cake Ninja
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 07:56 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Raiment

Well, as suggestions go this is much more of a wish list or a request than anything:

I want to put monsters in my dwelling, either caged or roaming, that would be capable of attacking players.
I want my dwelling to have a "jungle" area (sans hopital tent, if plausible), or some kind of dungeon dynamic to it like the abandoned factory.
I also want to have some sort of vending machine that i can stock with Medkits, Teleporters, and Energy Drinks for all the hapless travelers that DO run into something while searching around the place. The vending machines could also act as incentive to explore even with the possibility of attack, as I run into a lot of items on my treks across the Island and could easily give away one-shots(and medkits, lord) for cheap as a prize for reaching the end of said dungeon/dwelling.

That sounds fucking awesome, it would probably screw with the game balance, but that's still an awesome idea.

One thing that I want to add to that list though, is that monsters should only be able to be placed in a certain type of room, so no rookies wander into your dwelling and get eaten by the living nightmare tigershark goddess without warning.

Profile Email
Amerithe
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 09:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have a suggestion mildly related, but I never can figure out where to put things on these forums.. Or maybe I'm very tired, I don't know. Has anyone considered putting up a wiki page about the dwellings, because people I know keep asking me if I know how to build one, and all I know is how to do the stake part, and my brain's already fried from work, and I'm just done. And getting depressed about it. Or is there one and I'm not seeing it? I don't know.. Sorry if this is terribly out of place, and has to be removed.

Profile Email
Tyr
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 09:58 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Will this do?

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dwellings_for_dummies

Profile Email
jamesb
 Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 04:52 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

KEYS, dammit, KEYS!

Or maybe some way to let another person tinker with the house. It's really annoying when James is talking to his wife, and I accidently misclick, and I have to send a distraction asking to be let back in, because the door's locked!

Profile Email
jamesb
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 05:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

And a few more:

The option to delete chat history -- It tanks when you want to have friends over, but you said something earlier that may offend one, or all, of them.
Instead of making a defaault text for floor space, let the house owner/people wiith rights (if the function ever comes around) choose what it is, like the clan halls, where you pick what the default "Says" is.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 10:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: jamesb

And a few more:

The option to delete chat history -- It tanks when you want to have friends over, but you said something earlier that may offend one, or all, of them.

Hah! Oh, James. Oh dear. Sorry, but you do make me laugh!

And I'm pretty sure keys are coming, just as soon as the base system is all fixed and bug free (apart from certain dwellings, which wouldn't want to be bug free I'm sure)

Profile Email
Amerithe
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 10:46 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Tyr

Will this do?

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dwellings_for_dummies

Thank you! All I could find were pages about the season one houses, which does me no good.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 11:38 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Upgrades! Not just rooms and sizes. I have a huge boar in my shack that i'd love to be able to eat. I also want spending the night on comfy animal hides to aid those about to climb the CC mountain an extra moral boost.

Tunnles! Had the idea just now, it would be awesome(and maybe imbalancing) if you could build a tunnle from your dwelling to some place on the map, perhaps another dwelling or just a hidden entrence behind a rock or something. Ofcourse it would have to cost stamina traveling through them, and it would take longer to build one depending you how long it is and what terrain it passes under.

Profile Email
Raiment
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 07:28 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Yrk

Upgrades! Not just rooms and sizes. I have a huge boar in my shack that i'd love to be able to eat. I also want spending the night on comfy animal hides to aid those about to climb the CC mountain an extra moral boost.

Tunnles! Had the idea just now, it would be awesome(and maybe imbalancing) if you could build a tunnle from your dwelling to some place on the map, perhaps another dwelling or just a hidden entrence behind a rock or something. Ofcourse it would have to cost stamina traveling through them, and it would take longer to build one depending you how long it is and what terrain it passes under.

I'm fully behind the Kitchen and Tunnel ideas!

There are many people out there with dwellings that have a room designated for food consumption. I think it'd be amazingly great if there was some kitchen add-on (like a stove, an improbable microwave, or a plain ol' heatin' rock) that would give people a buff to their cooking skill. Maybe a fridge or a meat locker of sorts to be included as well, so meat could be stored and wouldn't spoil as of the New Day.

I also had the same idea of tunnels with secret exits. How cool would it be if players could collaborate to create an underground network of tunnels, allowing you to pop up anywhere on the map? To prevent it from becoming game breaking, Stamina would have to be used while walking through tunnels, and maybe even a stray monster or two might find their way in, attracted to the darkness. Tunnels should be similar to extension rooms but hold no sleepers, and making one would require a new kind of kit: the Mining Toolbox. Each tunnel room would cross one square of the map. So if my dwelling is 6 clicks away from Kittania and that's where I want my exit, I'd have to build 6 tunnel rooms (maybe i'd have to pick the directions they go, too) in order to get my exit there. It sounds complicated already, but I'd leap on the opportunity for community-based travel networks. I've been wanting to build an underground railroad for some time.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 07:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Raiment

I also had the same idea of tunnels with secret exits. How cool would it be if players could collaborate to create an underground network of tunnels, allowing you to pop up anywhere on the map? To prevent it from becoming game breaking, Stamina would have to be used while walking through tunnels, and maybe even a stray monster or two might find their way in, attracted to the darkness... Tunnels should be similar to extension rooms but hold no sleepers, and making one would require a new kind of kit: the Mining Toolbox. Each tunnel room would cross one square of the map....

Since people who are traveling across the Map in the ordinary manner can't see each other anyway, wouldn't it be simpler just to RP the tunnels?

Profile Email
Raiment
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 08:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

It most certainly would! But then I wouldn't have the joy of helping countless travelers find their way across the deep reaches of my underground tunnel systems! It would be hard to implement, for sure. I guess I can just RP a mole-man from here on out, to yield the same effect. Gotta DigDigDig!

Profile Email
Yrk
 Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

well, my original thought with tunnles would be to make one under the lake, or from my dwelling to CC404. Allowing people to save huge amounts to stamina. I suppose that's sorta game breaking though..

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.60 seconds
New Topic Post Reply