Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Dwelling Suggestions
 |  Printable Version
Reverb
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 03:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, yes.... yes, yes, yes!

Now excuse me, i'm off for some ice cream on the boulevard, and if i don't want to miss my buss, i'd better get through the Sofa fast..

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
loriel
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 06:41 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Count+Sessine

If you really wanted to drive architects mad, you wouldn't connect every room to every other room. Too easy. Too obvious. You'd be more subtle about it: a door in the west wing, for instance, taking you without fuss or warning to the east wing's kitchen. Doors like those in the Factory, that simply aren't there after they close behind you...

I had wanted to make the factory: I wanted to lock some of the doors, and make the rooms into a big maze which could change!
I also wanted to make an Alice in Wonderland section, in which you could enter the sofa. Or drink a shrinking potion, wander around, then drink another and return to normal size! In a room that would be inaccessible to normal sized people!

main room -> you become small room -> still small next room -> you're big again! next room (something like this; not thought it through entirely)
.... ^ ....................................................................... ^.............................................. ^
......\______________locked door_______(/)___another locked door__/

Doors which lock behind you sound awesome, so long as visitors can still "jump" back to the main entrance, and not get locked into the room, trapping them. Though that would be wonderful in its own way.

Profile Email
Kash
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 07:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

**Points finger at nose and another at Sessine** "Attaboy! That's where we want to be. Or 4005 doors. All pointing at the same room."

Better yet, 90 interconnected rooms, all named the same. When confronted with a list of 4005 options all reading "E[/b]nter Another Room" most visitors are likely to just hit the first one on the list until they find a sleeping space... but others will begin playing hide and seek and/or luring unwary rookies into labyrinths of death.

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 09:54 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

If you really wanted to drive architects mad, you wouldn't connect every room to every other room. Too easy. Too obvious. You'd be more subtle about it: a door in the west wing, for instance, taking you without fuss or warning to the east wing's kitchen. Doors like those in the Factory, that simply aren't there after they close behind you...

Actually you might be surprised how pleased some architects would be by that. Madness is induced by the fact that you have to have certain rooms connected and can't. Design a hospital or theater kind of thing. *sigh* That would be so damn useful.

But coming back to the subject of connecting rooms, I'll just add my: pretty, pretty, extremely pretty please with sugar on top, and some honey, and rose petals, and hollow chocolate bunnies (scratch that: solid chocolate bunnies) can we, could we, could we possibly have those doors?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mr+Geppetto

Actually you might be surprised how pleased some architects would be by that. Madness is induced by the fact that you have to have certain rooms connected and can't. Design a hospital or theater kind of thing. *sigh* That would be so damn useful.

But coming back to the subject of connecting rooms, I'll just add my: pretty, pretty, extremely pretty please with sugar on top, and some honey, and rose petals, and hollow chocolate bunnies (scratch that: solid chocolate bunnies) can we, could we, could we possibly have those doors?

YES! Then the lift from the Boating Lake to the Observatory will be operational, and the Laundry Chute can send you out into the Scullery...and...and...and...The Dumbwaiter can bring you to the subway station...and...and...

THE BUS CAN TAKE YOU TO THE KITCHEN!

(Oh, or you could leave Dunbernarding, and maybe do any of those things)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 05:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

YES! Then the lift from the Boating Lake to the Observatory will be operational, and the Laundry Chute can send you out into the Scullery...and...and...and...The Dumbwaiter can bring you to the subway station...and...and...

It's a funicular, Dave. That room's staying locked until I can have it come out in the girl's dorm room through the medium of doors.

Not, I hasten to add, for any perverse reason, god no. It'd just make it easier for all the piss-heads to get to bed on an evening.

Profile Email
Kes
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 07:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Bernard

It's a funicular, Dave. That room's staying locked until I can have it come out in the girl's dorm room through the medium of doors.

Not, I hasten to add, for any perverse reason, god no. It'd just make it easier for all the piss-heads to get to bed on an evening.

Well, excuse me. The men are the ones who get badly drunk, thank you very much, and I'm pretty sure the other women can hold their alcohol pretty well. Just don't force the demon drink on kestrel again, and that door won't even be necessary.

Anyway.

Yes, please, CMJ! Not for any rookie-scaring or contestant-confusing reasons, but just so I can have two rooms looking out on my garden. It may well make Dunbernading nigh on unplottable, but, hey - it's just plain boring to know your way around that place.

Yes please with a... with a... with the last of the apple spice muffins on top. We're begging you, mate!

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 01:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey about 90 rooms, all with doors leading to all other rooms. Apart form one room, which is only connected to one other room. People can spend ages trying to find that room, especially if all rooms are called the same.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Reverb
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 03:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh gods Cousjava, stop giving me this kind of ideas.. (i've been pen-n-paper scetching my "Esher on a bad acid trip" dwelling for weeks, adding insult to injury every time people come up with things like this.)

You are in a simple room, remarkably like the previous one. Doors in various sizes and configurations are all around you, tempting you to delve further.

Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.

..Don't give me the option of disabling the "back to the entrance" link, 'cause i PROMISE you i'll make a significant portion of the island inhabitants disappear forever..

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 04:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

Oh gods Cousjava, stop giving me this kind of ideas.. (i've been pen-n-paper scetching my "Esher on a bad acid trip" dwelling for weeks, adding insult to injury every time people come up with things like this.)

You are in a simple room, remarkably like the previous one. Doors in various sizes and configurations are all around you, tempting you to delve further.

Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.
Go to the next room.

..Don't give me the option of disabling the "back to the entrance" link, 'cause i PROMISE you i'll make a significant portion of the island inhabitants disappear forever..

I'm going even furthur: Send 'em in, let 'em fight, in the dark, and toss in a few monsters as well. Film it using infra-red cameras, so all those not in can watch and have a good laugh. It'll send ratings up a treat.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Reverb
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 10:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

With the new keys, it gets even better! I'll use my map and a master key to sneak around changing which doors are locked and not every day, so all YOUR maps remain to be useless.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, May 06 2010 @ 07:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*finally finds his way back out of Reverb's house, with a haunted look*

But seriously, that was Dunbernarding...

Also: Could we have a separate menu for managing dwellings? Like setting up build jobs and decorations and key management in a separate menu, so I don't accidentally "Decorate this room" every now and then, see the color codes mess up the room name (in the description) and give me a small heart attack?

Actually: that's probably a bug somewhere: CMJ (or any mod, really) could test it easily with "master key" style access to Hendrix: if you go to decorate either "Dave's Workshop &c" or "Ari's Studio", the name gets trunucated after a color code (`~, I believe)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, May 06 2010 @ 11:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I find that the name gets truncated after an apostrophy. Also, would it be possible to see which rooms have decorating jobs set up on them, even if you can't decorate at the moment, due to lack of stamina or not having a kit on you?

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, May 06 2010 @ 12:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*finally finds his way back out of Reverb's house, with a haunted look*

But seriously, that was Dunbernarding...

Oh, no, Dunbernarding will be a breeze to navigate compared to Crossroads. Y'see, i'll be actually TRYING to confuse people. Bernard is following his own particular flavour of 'logic', for the most part.

That is, if i ever complete a scetch to my satisfaction.

Profile Email
Burrz
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Maintenance. Owner or any visitor can Reinforce the Dwelling. And if no-one does reinforce for, say, a real-time week?
Repair. A few Stones or Logs need to be added. And if no repairs for a month?
Ruins. Build a new Dwelling on the site. (Some Logs and Stones can be salvaged from the old Dwelling)
And maybe, if no new Dwelling is built in another month, the Land Stake expires and someone else can build there.

Add my vote for cross-connecting Doors.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, July 22 2010 @ 01:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think dwellings are enough work already without you needing to repair them.

I'm all for having a set time wherein land claims with no dwelling expire, however.

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Tuesday, August 31 2010 @ 01:42 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: g_rock

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

What Loriel (and me, and others) are hoping for is to be able to put doors between two existing rooms. I think that this has been mentioned elsewhere, I'm not sure where though.

Lord help GERM, I can't imagine the clusterf*ck Dunbernarding'll become if Bernard gets ahold of this ability...

there aren't enough words in the world to express how awesome this would be. i know it's a terrible time to ask for new things on dwellings, but ... what with it being re-written an' all ... is there even the faintest possibility...?

EDIT: oh, and i meant to also agree with someone else who was hoping for outposty features accessible in dwellings (partic. contestant list and preferences). these things would be AMAZING. (as would being able to see which room a person was in, in the contestant list, rather than just which house).

okay, i'll stop now.
*stops*
*nearly starts again*
*definitely stops*

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.39 seconds
New Topic Post Reply