Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Keys!
 |  Printable Version
Mr Geppetto
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 01:18 PM UTC (Read 7512 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

We. Have. Keys. It's awesome. More than awesome. Words fail one in the face of such awesomeness!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

PS Sorry for not being more constructive, gotta play with them a bit to see how it all works, so far it looks just fantastic and I figured just a general awesomeness report wouldn't hurt. Yay!

PPS Oh, and Thank you! Big Grin

PPPS Love the Deadbolt feature and also the fact that it looks much clearer now if a room is locked or not, in your own dwelling. It's something I missed seeing quite a few times in the past.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 05:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

LOVELY LOVELY KEYS.

Though my praise is eternal and full of frosting, I would like to point out something (Though it's such a trivial gripe.):

To make a Front Door Key, you need to be in another room other than the entrance of the house, which is a little strange. It's not a big deal at all, but I'm not sure what that entails with single room dwellings, where the only room is the entrance. From what I can tell, there is no option to cut keys from the entrance room.

Edit: Yeah, that's a problem to single room dwellings. It's impossible to make a front door or master key for them because there isn't any access to the keys menu from the entrance room.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 05:26 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

Edit: Yeah, that's a problem to single room dwellings. It's impossible to make a front door or master key for them because there isn't any access to the keys menu from the entrance room.

Fix'd.

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 05:31 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I just cut a Master Key... and I have to say, that is the funniest set of Dire Warnings I've read all week!

Oh, and, yes... WONDERFUL KEYS!!!

(Noting minor textual bug: ...when cutting an Access Key: "If her already has a Control key...")

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 06:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I just cut a Master Key... and I have to say, that is the funniest set of Dire Warnings I've read all week!

I gotta say though, it's wholly appropriate. No mistakes there.

Also, thanks a million CMJ.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, May 04 2010 @ 06:21 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

(Noting minor textual bug: ...when cutting an Access Key: "If her already has a Control key...")

Fix'd.

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ahem... *clears throat some more, performs a small, slightly out-of-tune scale, then:*

KEYS, GLORIOUS KEYS!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou... (Ad infinitum)

Edit: also: The warnings for Master Key Cutting are hilarious.

Thank you

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 02:35 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

#1. YESH! Thank you much.

#2. Question, though I believe I already know the answer. Is there any way to revoke keys? My dwelling is my clan's clan hall so that means that I'm only issuing keys to members (and maybe a select few others). The reason I ask is that there's always the chance that someone either leaves or gets booted, and we wouldn't want someone who was booted being able to get back into the hall. I can understand why this would be difficult or maybe even impossible to do with master keys, but with the lesser ones mehbeh? Or even the option to change the locks on a door for a certain price which would also require new keys having to be made (though the master keys would still work)? That way people won't give out keys lightly thinking they'll just revoke them later and won't give out master keys lightly at all.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 05:12 AM UTC  

KEEEEEEEEEEEYS! YES!

These are super awesome. I love the security levels.

Thoughts: the notes say that you can't take back keys, and that it can only be undone if you "change the locks". Having an option to reset all locks on any one room or the entire dwelling would be fantastic, and go ahead and make it pricey.

I was also thinking that it would be really nice to have, on the "Manage Keys" page, or the "Locks" page, an option to view all the keys you've cut to whichever room you're currently sitting in. Front door keys and Master keys could be viewed from the dwelling entrance. On that same note, it would be great if players could find a list of what keys they currently have, with information about access level, which room(s), and the name and coordinates of the dwelling.

Gorbert
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 06:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with some of what Adder and Esc say, but I disagree with making the ability to change locks the only way to make a key useless, and to making that pricey (sorry about the awkward sentence). People stop being friends sometimes--unfortunately, it happens a lot. So, if you're good friends with someone, then have a falling out (real life example: my roommate) and you really really REALLY DO NOT WANT THIS GUY COMING BACK, you have to change the lock. That would (presumably) cost cigs to do, and then more cigs to recut every key for every other friend you have.

That would be terribly unfair, and it's not something that could be avoided by being careful about who you give keys to. I reiterate: good friends sometimes drift apart (or violently rip apart) and want nothing to do with each other afterwards. I think that being able to take back a key (hell, you could make THAT cost something if you want--it would be better than changing locks) would be a reasonable measure against this.

I AM grateful for the keys, though, don't think otherwise Smile
I just believe in cutting right to the heart of an issue.

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 08:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I ADORE the warnings. Especially the one about pointing and laughing if you petition.

Gorbert raises an excellent point - and not only friends drift apart, there's also the dreaded relationship end!

Another possibility is whether or not you can return keys you have been issued? Instead of paying to yank a key away from someone, or change your locks, what if they're willing to return it. There are more Improbable things than an amiable breakup (this would also work when you leave a clan, turning in your keys)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 01:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes, I love the keys, they're a fantastic addition to dwellings. Thank you so much CMJ.

Have to say, I agree with Gorbert and Escemfer.

What Gorbert said: Let people be able to take keys back, even master keys, for a hefty enough price. I can't help thinking, that that will help avert, or at least contain, some unpleasent drama at some point in the future.

What Escemfer said about having a list of the keys that you've got, and the ones that you've given out, and even the ones to your property that someone else with a master key has given out. I'd add to that, a distraction whenever you receive a key, telling you which dwelling and room it's for, and what type, wouldn't go amiss either.

But yes, big thank you for the hard work done so far. Dwellings are a good half of the fun of the Island to me. Designing and building them, discussing how you're going to decorate them, going round and seeing what other people have done, providing more personalised spaces for role playing in. They're bloody excellent things.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 02:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeeeaaaah, I'm gonna agree with this too.
When the fun warning goes and says 'Hey, no taking back keys. Just so you uhh know.'
The room fell silent and I just stared at it for a little "wuhhhh"
I still gave them out, but that particular warning got a rather nasty look every time we crossed paths.

I know the dwelling system was different back in the first season, but I was preeeeettty sure you could snatch back your keys...right?

Not complaining, of course. Locks are pretty rad.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 07:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Uncle Bernard looks at Mr Shuriken (or is it Katana?) one of the clan solicitors, "Well, can we get on with it?"

"Of course we may, Sir. You did bring witnesses?"

Uncle Bernard looks looks around nervously, behind him are Mountjoy, Steve Guttenberg and Bruce, he gulps and addresses Lilith, who is standing by the side, pen and pad in hand, "I, Bernard, being of sound mind."

Lilith sniggers, and begins to scrawl on to the pad,

Uncle Bernard glares at Lilith, "I said, I Bernard being of sound mind, do hereby declare my last willy testicle..." He stops as Bruce begins to whisper frantically in his ear. The solicitor looks on, impassive. Is he still alive? "What do you mean Will & testament? I [i]know[/i] full well what it is, what do you think I am? Some sort of foolish sap?" He doesn't wait for anyone to answer this, and presses on regardless, "In the presence of these witlesses." Another whisper from Bruce, "WITNESSES I do declare the sum total of my worldly goods should be bequeathed to the clan GENERAL ENGINEERING, RACKETEERING AND MUSICAL GUILD should I be incapacitated by death or by real life. This is to be true, in the patent absence of Master Keys, and before the Moderacracy. And these, my servants, do hereby sign to declare my sound mind, and that I have not been co-erced into making this will and testament." He looks around at the servants, who are casually chatting behind him, "Excuse me...!"

And, one by one, the clan servants troop forward to sign their names on this oh-so-legal and oh-so-complicated document.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 07:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*perks ears* I sense a disturbance in the force.. did Bernard just tell everybody that if something happens to him, we get the Dunbernarding?

The only thing that comes to mind here is "death warrant".

(Sorry! Well, not realy, you had that one coming actually.)

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, May 05 2010 @ 08:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

*perks ears* I sense a disturbance in the force.. did Bernard just tell everybody that if something happens to him, we get the Dunbernarding?

You reckon without the definition of GERM. It is, in fact, Mountjoy, who will be the new honorary Clan leader a la Porterhouse Blue.

Profile Email
Amerithe
 Friday, May 07 2010 @ 01:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Couple bits of input. Keys are awesome. Understandably pricey, but awesome. I just wish I had more cigs saved, lately I'm funneling all mine into housebuilding. On the other hand, there's already.. 10 rooms. I'm ambitious. I'm becoming increasingly concerned about these mentions of making keys to specific rooms. It doesn't fit with my understanding of the system, based on the in game explanation, that each room would need a different key. I may just have misunderstood everyone here, but I worry. I was intending to give a key to a friend of mine that'd let her into the unlocked rooms, but if I'd have to make one key for each room, I'll never be able to afford that. Clarification is appreciated. Also, I realize that it's sensible to make changing the locks or taking back keys expensive, but it also leaves the issue of someone issuing a master key to a close friend or significant other, only to have a horrible fight, and having the options be spend money to buy more cigs, or risk them taking out their frustrations on your house and guests. Although I suppose the worst they'd really be able to do is hand out keys and redecorate rooms, which isn't SO bad unless your rooms all require a minimum of 50 actions to decorate, that'd get frustrating to have to replace them all. And handing out keys... eesh. I suppose at least so far there aren't any real stealable items.. A listing of assigned keys would be nice, to keep track with larger groups. Those are the only things that really caught my attention. Also, I liked the speculation on how to bequeath houses if something happens.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Friday, May 07 2010 @ 05:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

Quote by: Reverb

You reckon without the definition of GERM. It is, in fact, Mountjoy, who will be the new honorary Clan leader a la Porterhouse Blue.

Oh..

Well, in that case, may i interest you in this plastanium tankmobile? We wouldn't want anything to happen to you, would we? Oh, and we might want to hire żou a praegustator...

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Friday, May 07 2010 @ 05:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Amerithe

...I was intending to give a key to a friend of mine that'd let her into the unlocked rooms, but if I'd have to make one key for each room, I'll never be able to afford that...

A Front Door Key would do, as long as the unlocked rooms are accessible without any locked rooms in between them and the entrance.

Quote by: Amerithe

A listing of assigned keys would be nice,...

Yes. I do have started a list of Keys Given Out (and Keys Received That I'm Aware Of), but since I've already shifted a room's location, with renaming and all, I see how such a list can quickly get incorrect. So, yes, I think a list of
*which key
*of what type
*in whose hands corresponds to
*which dwelling and
*room
would be useful. Now, for the ones we've received... if we get notified via the standard distract, auto-enter, otherwise, dwelling-owner has to do it manually?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, May 08 2010 @ 12:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Amerithe, if you lock one room, then that stops entry to all rooms beyond as well, in the sense that you can't go to them without going through the locked room. So if you want part of you building to be 'invite only' then just make sure that it's all one branch, and issue keys just to that room. Leave everything behind that unlocked. Would that do the trick?

By the way, if someone's further into the building when that room get's locked, then they can't come through it to get out again. (Unless they have a key, obviously) Although they can always 'return to entry' or 'return to map square' so you can't actually trap people.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply