Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Enhanced commentary system
 |  Printable Version
tehdave
 Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Also: Export commentary has been borked. It says "you are not in a commentary area" either in natterspaces, or towns.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 10:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have nothing to add to the bugs department just now, as I'm not currently mucking around with the thing much.

JUST: It seems like the preferences themselves might need a bit of an overhaul, what with Commentary options spread over five-or-howevermany tabs and the Onslaught option hidden... somewhere.

Profile Email
Tyr
 Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 11:23 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the OOC/Banter channel is not available through the Comms tent.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Haven
 Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 11:53 PM UTC  

Quick summary of the problems I'm getting in Firefox using a Mac:

Most peoples' name and title colors are gone (including mine)

Same thing with the :, ::, and /me showing

Same thing with the " at the end of each comment

Emote text is now black

The mouseover button is working for me and I actually quite like it! Those weapon icons were getting so annoying, and now there's a way for you to get a quick overview of someone's character without scouring their Bio, which I really like. Or maybe I'm just lazy.
The thing about the dual chat, though... Most people will still stay on the Story channel, even if what they say should be on the banter channel. I also think that this will be mind-bogglingly confusing for all the Rookies, especially those who have never played a text-based RPG. Just some thoughts...

Mr Geppetto
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 12:07 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

The default color for emote text. Sniff. (might shed even a little tear if that helped change it back to grey...)
The titles and names with no special coloring show up black or dark red, depending on the skin you use, instead of grey and there's a definite lack of contrast. Not to mention the way that dark red clashes with the nice purple I had for my character's name...makes me want to cry, even a bit more than the color for the default text.
Then there is the issue of not having the option of displaying a blank line between lines of text, in prefs.

All of the above, plus the misfiring of e-motes that have been stated above make the chat page a pain to read for me. Probably can get used to it in time, but...sniff?

I do love, though, the OOC chat (BTW, there's none in the Common Ground I saw) and the mouse over.

PS Using Chrome so color issues apply to same.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On firefox, i get all the colour and emote issues mentioned ebove.

I also cannot; turn off avatars, which srsly fuck up the page right now, turn off seeing what weapon others are using, and the mouse-overs are simply displayed between the black mouseover-eye-icon and the normal race icon.

Oh, and my own race, donator coin thingie, and mouseover are missing.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 12:32 AM UTC  

Another (possible) issue: Going back a page in the story channel causes the banter channel to do the same. Unless I'm just being silly and missed something.

Yuki
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 12:37 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm going to be frank for a second, i don't like this. At all. It's probably just me but everything just seems very cluttered now, and considering there is already an area for OOC chat the banter thing seems pointless, granted the mouse-over bio thing is a nice add on, but showing the avatar is a little unnecessary, and i don't know why but the icon bothers me, hard to explain but it just sorta stands out too much. I really hate to sound ungrateful or nitpicky but frankly i liked it better before this update. All of this is just my opinion of course.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 12:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yuki: I agree with you on the BLACKNESS of that icon, actually.

Kuro and Fletcher: I agree wholeheartedly. It has always been my understanding that, while you can ignore roleplaying and just focus on gameplay, this is a roleplaying game. Having the OOC chat like that, it's hard to tell. Maybe II is just a chatroom with game attached, and some silly people roleplaying on the side over there.

Profile Email
Kash
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 12:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The main problem I have with this system is that it apparently broke CSS. Other than that, everything else has probably been covered already by other posters.

Profile Email
Ferryn
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The mouseovers now seem to work on Firefox for me - this makes everything a hell of a lot better.

Custom title colors are still broken - Except for Black Jacques Chirac.

And I'd like the return of the default shade of grey in emotes but i think someone brought that up.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:13 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

You can change it in your preferences how you can have the commentaries. I believe it's Commentary Preferences. If you have it stacked then it's a lot like the game used to be.

I'm using firefox on Windows7 and haven't noticed any glitchy issues yet. Well other than the :, ::, or /me and the default text in the names matching the layout you use. Heh, you can sort of notice older players and new players since a bunch of the people who have been around use the /me or at least I've noticed that anyway.

Profile Email
Ferryn
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Akogi

You can change it in your preferences how you can have the commentaries. I believe it's Commentary Preferences. If you have it stacked then it's a lot like the game used to be.

I'm using firefox on Windows7 and haven't noticed any glitchy issues yet. Well other than the :, ::, or /me and the default text in the names matching the layout you use. Heh, you can sort of notice older players and new players since a bunch of the people who have been around use the /me or at least I've noticed that anyway.

Ohh, so that's why the colors have changes. Kind of makes sense, then, but... I personally preferred the nice generic grays.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ferryn

I personally preferred the nice generic grays.

Me too. It made my black and blue gig original feeling. Confused
You know how people get colors that are theirs? Same thing.

Profile Email
Ninja Waffles
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:26 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

is there anyway to disable the user avatars from showing up?

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

hmmmm - haven't seen anyone mention this one yet - I have nothing in my Banter pane, horizontal or vertical orientation. Even when I add something. Haven't tried any other outposts yet, really bad def stats for traveling at the moment.

Kittania, Firefox 3.6.3, XP Pro SP3
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Thank you.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

hmmmm - haven't seen anyone mention this one yet - I have nothing in my Banter pane, horizontal or vertical orientation. Even when I add something. Haven't tried any other outposts yet, really bad def stats for traveling at the moment.

Kittania, Firefox 3.6.3, XP Pro SP3
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

I noticed that too. All the other ones work though since I've posted things in CC, IC and NH.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 03:13 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

If you're using FireFox and having problems with mouseover text being spat out into the commentary area, do a CTRL+F5 and let me know if that helps?

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 03:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just read what you suggested CMJ and logged back onto the Island to try it. It suddenly worked a lot better. Straight away, with pressing F5 or anything. That's on the failboat. I'll try and see what happens in Squathole.

Yep. Fine in Squathole as well.

And yes I'm a Firefox user.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ctrl+F5ing it makes things look pretty again, but color codes in names are not working.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.44 seconds
New Topic Post Reply