Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Enhanced commentary system
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just to repeat what's already been said. You can't see past pages in dwellings either. Or at least not the one I'm in, just south of New Home.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I can't replicate this... Is it still happening?

Profile Email Website
Mr Geppetto
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 12:33 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

CMJ, seems to be working fine, now. I can't say for the other outposts, but in New Home it's alright, also in a random dwelling that had this problem, no prob anymore.

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 03:38 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Not sure if it's just me, but in Firefox, I still can not hit "refresh commentary" more than once after commenting. It jumps back to the top of the page but the chatspace does not update.

Profile Email
Binjali
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 10:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm sorry to inform you, but /specials are borked again. I'm looking at one in my Clan Hall right now that goes like this:

[06/04 01:41am] replies, " It shifts, Ah?"

which...should be just the text inside the quotes.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Shayde
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 02:40 PM UTC  

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Oh! Oh! I had a thought...! (Yes, yes, shush in the peanut gallery there.)

... if it's not too late ...

... so long as you're re-writing the comment system anyway ...

... Would it be possible to allow a code similar in function to ":" except that if used as the very first character in a comment it would also suppress the space after the character's name? A single-quote would be the most natural choice.

It seems like such a tiny change, but among other things, it would allow people to use the possessive case in their comments, so they could seamlessly write things like, "Zolotisty's minion [does such-and-so to torment Ebenezer]," or "Chimental's cloak ripples ominously," or "Bernard's housekeeper Phyllis raises her broom."

People do this now, of course, but everyone reading must agree to avert their eyes and pretend very hard that inserted space does not exist. It would be just lovely to have a way of getting rid of it!

Actually there's a way to do just that already in place. I accidentally confused the island for IRC one day and discovered that '/me' works in place of ':' and using '/me's pants are on fire' would output 'Shayde's pants are on fire.'

Count Sessine
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 03:31 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Shayde

... Would it be possible to allow a code similar in function to ":" except that if used as the very first character in a comment it would also suppress the space after the character's name? A single-quote would be the most natural choice.

It seems like such a tiny change, but among other things, it would allow people to use the possessive case in their comments, so they could seamlessly write things like, "Zolotisty's minion [does such-and-so to torment Ebenezer]," or "Chimental's cloak ripples ominously," or "Bernard's housekeeper Phyllis raises her broom."

People do this now, of course, but everyone reading must agree to avert their eyes and pretend very hard that inserted space does not exist. It would be just lovely to have a way of getting rid of it!

Actually there's a way to do just that already in place. I accidentally confused the island for IRC one day and discovered that '/me' works in place of ':' and using '/me's pants are on fire' would output 'Shayde's pants are on fire.'

That's interesting. You know, I never used /me, not once. I knew it worked and other people used it, but I didn't know it would omit the space.

Well. The old comment code's gone now, never to return. What happens from now on in that regard is... whatever CMJ makes happen.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Friday, June 04 2010 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Shayde

That's interesting. You know, I never used /me, not once. I knew it worked and other people used it, but I didn't know it would omit the space.

Well. The old comment code's gone now, never to return. What happens from now on in that regard is... whatever CMJ makes happen.

The comment code is now at Grandpa's old farm, where it can romp through the vast fields and chase rabbits all day.

And I can't believe I missed being an example. And by one of the almighty mods, no less. Makes me happy.

But yes the ability to type 's more clearly is greatly appreciated by this ugly man. It's the only thing that kept from making three hundred Rookie Accounts.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 05:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Binjali

I'm sorry to inform you, but /specials are borked again. I'm looking at one in my Clan Hall right now that goes like this:

Mine has that too, specials are showing up with whatever your clan has instead of "says" if they've changed it. We have disembodied "announces".

My refresh is still wonky, but I'm starting to think it's just me Frown

Profile Email
TylerDurham
 Sunday, June 06 2010 @ 06:58 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Snow+Gray

Quote by: Binjali

Mine has that too, specials are showing up with whatever your clan has instead of "says" if they've changed it. We have disembodied "announces".

My refresh is still wonky, but I'm starting to think it's just me Frown

And on the FailBoat. Looking at something right now that reads:

[06/06 10:51am] announces from the Comms Tent, " From somewhere overhead the sound of a helicopter approaches."

Profile Email
Mister Rawr
 Sunday, June 06 2010 @ 07:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Thanks Tyler... was wondering if this had come up before.

I was surprised when the Comms Tent just decided to announce that itself. Silly /special failure.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Sunday, June 06 2010 @ 11:42 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ummm... when I drop into the comms tent and contact another settlement, am I seeing the 'story' section or the 'banter' section Question

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Monday, June 07 2010 @ 04:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

Ummm... when I drop into the comms tent and contact another settlement, am I seeing the 'story' section or the 'banter' section Question

If they are that easy to confuse, I think we have a problem.

Profile Email
Azhron
 Monday, June 07 2010 @ 05:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I assume you're seeing the story section, since RP communication is what the Tent was intended for. Beaming you into the banter chat all the time would defeat the purpose.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Monday, June 07 2010 @ 10:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

Quote by: Zpatula

If they are that easy to confuse, I think we have a problem.

... yeah.. true.
Last time I checked, it was the story channel.

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, June 09 2010 @ 12:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, are people's names' colours ever going to be fixed? By default they're red, which is pretty crummy for people who went and bought a coloured name. They're not nearly as distinctive like that. I'm also finding it really, really difficult to tell who is who on pages with a lot of non-custom names.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, June 09 2010 @ 12:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, are people's names' colours ever going to be fixed? By default they're red, which is pretty crummy for people who went and bought a coloured name. They're not nearly as distinctive like that. I'm also finding it really, really difficult to tell who is who on pages with a lot of non-custom names.

Hmmm. Might want to clear your cookies, Ada. The custom name colours have been fixed for a long time.
Or petition for help.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, June 09 2010 @ 12:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

Hmmm. Might want to clear your cookies, Ada. The custom name colours have been fixed for a long time.
Or petition for help.

Interesting. I thought it had been, but nothing on my end seems to be fixing it. Petition time, I guess!

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, June 17 2010 @ 09:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Does the Banter channel export for other people? I tried it from Kittania last night and this morning, and it's just giving me the export from the Story channel. (And yes, I did click the appropriate link.)

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Binjali
 Thursday, June 17 2010 @ 10:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Buddleia

Does the Banter channel export for other people? I tried it from Kittania last night and this morning, and it's just giving me the export from the Story channel. (And yes, I did click the appropriate link.)

Nope! I've tried it from pretty much every Outpost, and there is no Banter export. Neutral

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.51 seconds
New Topic Post Reply