Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 The Silent Majority
 |  Printable Version
Ada
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 09:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd love a live chat for OOC, but I would actually really rather not have one for in-character. Part of that is simply aesthetics - it feels less like just online chat and more like real writing to me if it's not scrolling at the speed of type. But also I think that it would make fast places like the CG even more bewilderingly difficult to read than they already are. I already don't like rping in large groups; I really, really wouldn't like it if everyone else in the channel kept pushing up the lines I was trying to read. Would backpages scroll as people added to the front end? (Scary thought, I hope not!)
Live OOC chat would be nice though, I hope?
Although I wonder if it will turn into a moderating nightmare.

Profile Email
Lady Jack
 Monday, May 31 2010 @ 10:15 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Ada

Honestly though, I think most of your statistic stems from the fact that the game does not give you any idea of what it is when you start. You have to sign up to find out anything about it.

Personally, I think that Ada's idea about the 1 in 10 statistic makes a good point. When I created my account, I had no idea what II was, specifically how big an element RP was. So when I was asked for a name, I chose a name that I liked, not a name that I'd like to interact as. I chose the name of a character from a TV show because I though it wouldn't matter. Then I found out how important roleplay is. I didn't interact with anyone for over three months because I didn't know how to work around my name, and I didn't want to lose all my req/cigs/DK's/whatever by creating a new account.

I imagine that my situation would be pretty unique, but I think some information before signing up would help. Even if it was just some thing at the end, and then a message saying "Now, are you sure you filled this form out right?"

Now, OOC chat:
Yes, I would like this. Sometimes I'd like to interact with people, but I just can't get into character. I also like the idea that it can be accessed from anywhere on the island. Sometimes I get lonely in the satelite outposts. Wink I like Zolotisty's minimizeable chat area the best, since it's not in the way during IC stuff, but there when it's wanted.

As for the IC chat, I like the system we have now where it has to be refreshed. I like the words I'm reading to stay where they are, thank you very much. Big Grin

Profile Email
stripy
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 01:33 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

So, I am one of those players who don't really participate in the roleplaying, and I thought it might be helpful if one of those non-roleplayers would offer their 2 cents as well. As to why I don't roleplay: The whole rp'ing is a bit daunting to me. When I take a look at, for example, the common ground, there are all those characters who have a backstory and well-established relationships and ongoing storylines, and it's a bit scary to barge in and introduce yourself. But I don't really mind, because I am not really a pretend-play kind of person anyway. And of course, that's the other reason I don't roleplay.

What I would like about an OOC chat area, is that it would offer me a place to chat about things like, "So, how many of the books that are referenced in the game have you actually read?" and stuff like that. It would give the non-RP'ers something to DO, besides grinding away at monsters.

And location 4 does not really lend itself to that at the moment, because it's all about "Why do I get fat" and "Where's Kittania".

So, yeah, OOC chat. Good idea. But of course you all had already established that. How about I just go back to lurking now and leave the discussion to people who actually have something new to add?

Profile Email
Waif
 Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 05:06 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I have nothing new to add! But I'm going to supply it anyway.
I'd love an additional OOC chat, as long as it doesn't interfere with the flow or feel of the roleplay. I'm an avid roleplayer and the RP community is one of the reasons I still play, awesome as the game is. Thus, a cleverly inserted OOC chat function would be awesome, so long as it keeps its arse out of the roleplay.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.34 seconds
New Topic Post Reply