Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Global Banter Chat
 |  Printable Version
Swede
 Saturday, June 19 2010 @ 09:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just my 2 cents:
While I like them as they are I hardly use them. When I use them it is mostly to ask story relevant items.
So I would prefer to keep them as they are.

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 06:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kash

2) THE ISLAND IS NOT A CHAT ROOM
By which I mean, I'd really rather the Island maintain it's aloof and intellectual properties rather than the possible AOL vibe that a global OOC chat could bring in.

This is precisely why I would vastly prefer a global OOC chat, something completely detachable from the rest of the Island, or minimizeable and clearly delineated from the rest of Island rp chat. Right now OOC chat looks exactly like the roleplaying chatspaces. It's the same size; it occupies the same space; it works the same way. You can even turn the roleplaying channels right off and play as if the whole thing as a chat game, so long as you stay out of dwellings or the CG, if you prefer. It no longer really looks like a roleplaying game, to me; I have to turn the banter channel off and pretend it isn't there. It's a text game with an optional roleplaying channel.
With a global OOC chat that could be windowed apart from the island, something that was very clearly an accessory to the roleplaying game, I do not think people could possibly get the impression that the Island is a chatroom. Right now, I think it's pretty easy to make that mistake.
The problem of text moving too fast could be addressed by the addition of multiple OOC rooms, as others have noted.

Also, I'm pretty damn skeptical whenever I hear people talking about how current OOC chat is great because it allows you to talk about scenes that are going on. I have been trying very, very hard to like OOC chat. To that end, I've been switching my view to banter when I enter a town, reading what's there, trying to join conversations if they're there and they're interesting.
I have joined a total of one conversation.
I do not often see people talking about the scene. I've only once seen people really talking in depth about plot; most of what I've seen that's scene-related has been things like "lol that was funny", "isn't my character silly", "I don't bite... hard..." and "you've been hugged!! Big Grin".
A lot of what I have seen in OOC chat has made me pretty unimpressed with the Island in general. I've seen people weighing their anime/manga e-dicks - on multiple occasions. I've seen a pile of patronizing "n'aww, look at the little newbie" comments. I've seen people absolutely tear into other roleplayers for being "bad" rpers. Other roleplayers who have been in the scene right there. I've seen people talk about how a certain person should be banned. With him right there in the story channel.
I've been revising my impressions of islanders. What happened to the friendly, intelligent, welcoming bunch I thought we were? Give us an OOC chat option, and there goes that illusion.

Profile Email
kazuhiro
 Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Other people have said it already. I'd like Banter to be completely detached from the island. Comments pertaining to happenings in the local roleplaying channel can be marked with a symbol (i.e. a symbol marking the speaker's ingame location next to their name) or we can all just get smart and realize that people may be talking about stuff that's happening in the roleplaying channel.

I definitely want an II Chatroom. I'm not saying I consider Improbable Island a chatroom; it's a roleplaying enviroment and a browser game. But a chatroom for talking to the other players would be great.

Profile Email
bl0b
 Monday, June 21 2010 @ 04:51 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well, I don't do a lot of roleplaying, but I do try on occasions. I mean, that's what this game is really about. Now, a global OOC channel would be a good thing in my opinion. No justification, it's just a fact. I guess banter was desined for comments like "Uhh, sorry guys, have to go to the bog", and "FFS!!! TMI !! T M I !!!", which are the comments that do not really fit in the in-character area and would get lost in a single out of character area. But I guess if you can't work that into a story, you don't deserve to go to the toilet.
I still don't understand what the big deal about banter channels is. I mean, the island looks like cat's ass. There. How bad do banter channels look now?

To be honest though, I've never really used them. For OOC, L4 is still my favourite destination. Mostly because banter channels work on the basic questions, but if you have a very specific question, or perhaps a global question (like where are the titans), you just can't work with banter channels alone.

About the load thing.
Now, I'm no expert on coding things, but having both, a chatspace and the game open at the same time is very much possible. All you need to do is use those nearly obsolete things called iframes.
Have the main frame on top, containing more or leess nothing else but the island logo (or maybe completely empty). Inside you have two iframes, a global OOC chatspace and the normal game as we all know and love. My guess is have the game above and chatspace below in there. If you really detest seeing the chatspace, it can be made to pop out, or rather, just go into the iframe with normal island view, not an actual popup. But the best thing is, unless you hit ctrl+r, only one of the windows would be refreshing with you clicking around. So not that much extra load. Well, if you ignore people potentially posting more comments that way.

Also, a (semi)real-time chat is possible. All you do, is create a loop that checks for new comments every 5(?) seconds and upload the page if the comment comes in. But it might be hogging the bandwidth a bit.

Best I could come up with.

Profile Email
Baker
 Tuesday, June 22 2010 @ 08:01 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Before I get started with my own opinion, I want to mention a few folks whose posts made me say "Yeah!"
Lady Raven Skye, Tyr, Zolotisty, Natalie, Ashtu, bl0b. If you don't like my ideas, go with something one of these folks said. Smile

How I'd revamp island chatspace:
Lose L4.
"Banter" channel becomes "Player" channel. (And possibly "Story" channel becomes "Character" channel.)
Player channel can be set to Off/Local/Global. Story/Chararacter channel can only be Off/Local.
Player channel in Global mode does not care where you are or what you are doing. It is always on. People afraid it would overflow; I hear you, but I think people would adjust usage to reduce that effect. There's currently a lot of banter that could actually move back to "Story" or "Character" channel.
Player channel in Local mode means you only see chat of players in the same location as you. What you say is still posted to global chat, but your indicator says "elsewhere" for anyone not local to you. Which means they know you won't see what they say about you. Twisted Evil Someone said something about only posting locally for Local mode. Maybe do that. Either way you'll have Global people repeating some comments to bridge the Local/Global divide. Global chat with Local visibility is easier to code than Local chat with Global visibility.
Residences can be equipped with muffling devices to block global chat, essentially creating a local player channel.
The communications tent can have a way to peek at local chats of other outposts.

The following comments are not part of my plan, but I deem them to be somewhat related to the topic.
I absolutely love the idea of auto-refreshing iframes for channels. Refresh rate can be tuned to balance server load. How often do people refresh now, and get the whole page re-loaded just in case there's a new line of story or banter? Refresh can ask for "new since [time]" instead of loading a whole page.
Would like the ability to see who's lurking in any location, same as in residences.
Would like the ability to "sleep" in outposts, for 25,000 bonus stamina, without the need for specific amount of floor space. Maybe lose charm due to vagrancy. People already rp sleep in outposts for extended afk, or to wait for other characters to show up. If sleepers are visible, we can nudge them, or draw on them with Sharpies.
Would like location-based rp props to be represented somehow. A tree or a bench or a cocoa stand should not be invisible to players who simply haven't seen anyone interact with them. Players would need a limited way to alter location descriptions to include these items.

I have a significant forum aversion... If you ask a question you'd like me to respond to, please contact me within the game. Otherwise I'm not likely to notice. Best to include a link to the thread so I don't whine about not being able to find it. Confused Seriously, navigating forums is more difficult for me than translating vietnamese poetry. Not hyperbole. Literal.

Profile Email
Hairless
 Wednesday, June 23 2010 @ 06:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

In contrast to Baker's views, because we are all different folks with different tastes, I find that Kash and Ada have best expressed the views I share (at least those that I'm not adding to within this post).
I think Location 4 is a perfectly acceptable "banter"equivalent to the "role-playing only" Common Grounds.
If more OOC chat or RL context is desired, umm, there is this thing called the "Improbable Enquirer" which is, umm, like an organized chatroom, with threads, where we are, umm, having this discussion -- much more successfully than we could on a channel shared with everyone who just landed on the Island for the first time, and is not at all sure they will stick around long enough to kill this "Drive" thingy, etc. etc..
So, basically my feeling is that the Enquirer serves most of my need for OOC chat, and Location 4 serves the rest. If I'm in a dwelling or anywhere else at all, I can still read (and add to) the Enquirer.
Of course your own mileage may vary...

Profile Email
bl0b
 Wednesday, June 23 2010 @ 03:34 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Funnily enough, I haven't really looked at it that way. This place is the OOC location, isn't it? If only there was a link to the forums on the front page Rolling Eyes
I think banter is good for a quick OOC post when deep in the story, especially for us roleplaying noobs. Sometimes you just have to ask a roleplaying question that is related to the story, but needs and OOC answer.
L4 is good for a quick question, but would be good to see it go global. And I guess for serious debates there is this forum.
Now, a global chat option wouldn't really make it into an AOL/MSN/mirc like beast. One of the main points is human (or character at least) interaction, isn't it? Making friends in-character is different from making friends out of character in my opinion, and would do nothing bad to roleplaying. A global chat room wouldn't change that a lot. Would probably still be full of rooks asking stuff, but at least it can be used to better promote the forum. Altough, there would be less rooks complaining about monsters on failboat. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.57 seconds
New Topic Post Reply