Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Hunter's Lodge rebuild
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Cenobite
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 11:37 AM UTC  

Hopefully this isn't too late but what about being able to buy stones and logs using pionts? This will really help with those of us that have dwellings so far south.

Reverb
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 12:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

Quote by: CavemanJoe

With the new Lodge, you could choose to stock up on title changes (they show up as weightless iitems in your Inventory) and carry them around with you, give them as gifts, etc.

Curious question that may or may not be dumb:
What would happen if someone tried to gift a title to someone who already has the Emily Bundle, or Perma Title Changes?
Would it just tell them?

Ah, THIS was what i wanted to adress!

With all the new lodge effects being IItems, they just appear in the recipients' backpack. It's a bit of a null gift, but the Bundle holder can choose to send it along to someone else later when -they- feel like gifting something. Or return it to sender, no postage required.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 03:51 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Cenobite

Hopefully this isn't too late but what about being able to buy stones and logs using points? This will really help with those of us that have dwellings so far south.

You can already get a finished room ready for decorating, no stones or logs required, and it comes complete with Cool Secret Passwords -- for 500 dp. That's expensive for a very good reason: bypassing the building process undercuts the intended social effects of building being difficult.

All those awesome buildings you see? Many of which are in the southern portion of the Island...? Those were all built with huge expenditures of stamina. Building is not meant to be easy.

So if logs and stones are made purchasable in DPs, I'd expect the price to be very high. The kind of thing where... you might be willing to spend the points once in a long while to get that one. last. log... but unless you have points coming out of your ears and no place to spend them, not a shortcut to a mansion.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 03:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Hopefully this isn't too late but what about being able to buy stones and logs using points? This will really help with those of us that have dwellings so far south.

You can already get a finished room ready for decorating, no stones or logs required, and it comes complete with Cool Secret Passwords -- for 500 dp. That's expensive for a very good reason: bypassing the building process undercuts the intended social effects of building being difficult.

All those awesome buildings you see? Many of which are in the southern portion of the Island...? Those were all built with huge expenditures of stamina. Building is not meant to be easy.

So if logs and stones are made purchasable in DPs, I'd expect the price to be very high. The kind of thing where... you might be willing to spend the points once in a long while to get that one. last. log... but unless you have points coming out of your ears and no place to spend them, not a shortcut to a mansion.

Actually, they were build with a huge expenditure of one-shot teleporters ;-)

Or timed FAILure to a titan, since that resets your spawn point to IC. And of course, nowadays we have TRAINS trains TRAINS trains TRAINS trains TRAINS trains TRAINS trains... (Sorry Z, i'm hijinking your thing)

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

With the new Lodge, you could choose to stock up on title changes (they show up as weightless iitems in your Inventory) and carry them around with you, give them as gifts, etc.

Curious question that may or may not be dumb:
What would happen if someone tried to gift a title to someone who already has the Emily Bundle, or Perma Title Changes?
Would it just tell them?

Ah, THIS was what i wanted to adress!

With all the new lodge effects being IItems, they just appear in the recipients' backpack. It's a bit of a null gift, but the Bundle holder can choose to send it along to someone else later when -they- feel like gifting something. Or return it to sender, no postage required.

Ohhhh.
I like that, then.
[Something like that would also be great for alts.]

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's hard to come up with a solution that would made people in between rookie and roleplayer happy.

Is there a way to monitor how many custom titles or colorizations a person has bought? Maybe refund 400 points to each person who has bought only one or two custom titles? I figure the information wouldn't be readily available, but...it was worth a shot.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 06:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hopefully this isn't too late but what about being able to buy stones and logs using pionts? This will really help with those of us that have dwellings so far south.

Hey, Cenobite - there are plenty of people who love building. I expect some of them would quite happily bring you logs and stones if you gave them DP! Wink

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 07:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Looking ahead a bit to season three. Dwellings. There are a lot of dwellings that a lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into designing and building, and that they'd like to have again in S3. But that means that they'd have to spend ages just building before they got to where they are now and can get to the design of new rooms, which is the cherry on the cake, to me at any rate. Is there some way that they could buy them back again?

How I envision this is that they have to get 100 cigs and go and find a plot to stake. Then they get the option to buy the first room again, for DP? A fixed amount + 'some depending on how much decorating it involves'? No sleeping spaces. Then the option to buy any rooms that were branching off of this for a similar amount, and so on.

Some people wouldn't want to, those who have seen some of the ideas that have been used elsewhere, and are now of the 'If I started again with what I've thought of now' persuasion, but I think that some would.

As a supporting argument, I'd note that I would suspect that there's a positive correlation between the people with the biggest dwellings and the people who have donated most, they're the people who have been around the longest. Or the dwellings with most people involved to share building between, and so stamina/DP costs.

Just thought I'd throw that out.

----------------------

On the subject of change of price structure. Personally the 'I've spent DP already on top of what I'm now paying for permanent' would bother me for about half a second. When permanent titles came out Skronky was in precisely that position. I just got on with it. That sort of thing happens all the time in RL. Biggs will now be in that situation. I'll live on with it. Having said that, if you organised it so that that didn't arise, then that would be rather cool. AQ hasn't had any custom titles yet. And I very actively don't want them. Which incidently, is why I really don't want an Emily bundle. I'd rather spend more on the bits that I want seperately. None of my characters want the custom race icon for example. I like Biggs and Skronky having the cider bottle icon, and I want to keep it.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Cenobite
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 08:05 PM UTC  

Ok I understand that if he made stones and logs availible it would have to be expensive but what is the diffreance between me spending my points on that or buying cigs or req?

I mean think about it if a person was so inclined they, as a level one rookie, can donate enough to get a chainsaw and invisisuit with none of the effort others went through. I mean techniquely you can spend enough points to get the 100 cigs you need, it would just be very expensive for you.

All I'm saying is that if someone is willing to pay then it should be an option. Not everyone is going to use it but some would.

zamboni
 Sunday, August 15 2010 @ 08:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Hey, Cenobite - there are plenty of people who love building. I expect some of them would quite happily bring you logs and stones if you gave them DP! Wink

I'd like to introduce the Pachyderm Building Corporation - we quarry, lumberjack, mason, carpenter and decorate for DP! You can also hire our interior decorating division to provide you with styling ideas!

Mr. Green

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Sunday, August 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: calliaphone

waking up some more, and re-reading this thread...

Quote by: Count+Sessine...Is there a way to find out who these players-in-the-middle are? The ones who have started buying changes but haven't plumped for the permanent yet? If they can be identified, then perhaps they can be offered a special one-time upgrade deal.

raises hand. six times.

Raises tentacle

Also..
Quote by:Caveman Joe

That's... that's the web hosting site I used to run, before I sold that business and went full-time on the Island.

How about...
http://www.cavemanjoe.co.uk/
http://www.stainless-design.co.uk/
http://www.hostingforaquid.co.uk/
http://www.projectwonderfultalk.com
http://www.remarkableprocrastinationdevice.com/
http://www.twistedlibrarian.com
http://www.retroreviews.net/

Apparently, you run all of these. Though most of them haven't been updated in years. And cavemanjoe.co.uk doesn't say you run II. I discovered these though reading back the season one legacy forums.
Its amazing what you can find in there.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Sunday, August 22 2010 @ 06:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cousjava, we hates you forever! Do you realize how perfectly good Island time I (we) wasted just clicking on (and reading) these sites??

Thank you.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 24 2010 @ 07:35 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yup, those are all mine apart from Twisted Librarian, which is Emily's.

(you scary stalker-type person you!) Mr. Green

So I'm making images for all the Hunter's Lodge iitems, and figuring out ways to make these buys - which are basically enhanced permissions - feel like real items that you can carry around. This is actually what takes up most of the time. For example, the ability to choose a custom name for your weapon is now a "weapon disguise."

The deluxe version - IE the permanent option - is always tricky. First attempt:

Not nearly funny enough. Second attempt:

Much better.

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Tuesday, August 24 2010 @ 03:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yup, those are all mine apart from Twisted Librarian, which is Emily's.

(you scary stalker-type person you!) Mr. Green

So I'm making images for all the Hunter's Lodge iitems, and figuring out ways to make these buys - which are basically enhanced permissions - feel like real items that you can carry around. This is actually what takes up most of the time. For example, the ability to choose a custom name for your weapon is now a "weapon disguise."

The deluxe version - IE the permanent option - is always tricky. First attempt:

Not nearly funny enough. Second attempt:

Much better.

I propose the same glasses on a pair of panties for the Custom Armor.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Mack
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:22 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Uhhh....After the new Lodge update, I seem to be able to do...none of the things my Emily Bundle should allow...Just thought you might like to know.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Alex MacMillan
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Nor can I use the unlimited title changes I bought, so the new lodge is not giving credit for things already purchased

Profile Email
Anonymous: Temper
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM UTC  

Thank god it's not just me. We're supposed to be receiving items that correspond to what we had with the Emily Bundle, I've heard. As long as the effects aren't gone, forever though, I'm ok with a bit of a wait. That done, I rather like the new layout. Great work!

Kel!
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just *bumping* that.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:34 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yup, I'm on it. Will likely be on it all night, in fact. :-/

Profile Email Website
Kel!
 Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 06:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Also, something of cosmetic nature: I don't use a Bio pic (yet), and now there is an empty placeholder on the Bio page where one would be. And my mount's name has totally disappeared also there, I didn't think that was supposed to happen?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.47 seconds
New Topic Post Reply