Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Illustrations?
 |  Printable Version
Swede
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 10:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Shi

I can see why people'd be opposed. it's nice to have your own set visions of how things look, and pictures are never going to accurately reflect that. i know this cos i can't even draw how things look in my head. Wink
BUT i am also in favour of pretty pictures because i like them. so i'd be happy to see illustrations. i've had a minor idea in mind for character portraits for a while, so i can't exactly say otherwise. Big Grin

I have to second this. Especially if there is an option to turn the images off.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 12:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Hairy+Mary If a picture contradicted previously held ideas, then my mental picture would change,

Yeah, that's what I'd like to avoid.

Well yes, but my previously held ideas can be contradicted by text just as easily. I'd already envisioned a pub in Squathole before Booz arrived, and my picture wasn't a makeshift tent. It is now. That really isn't a problem, to me at least.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 05:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, I should mention: I won't be drawing any of these, because I can't draw worth a damn. Dyspraxia, y'see. They'd have to be commissioned pieces.

Alright, so it won't be your personal brain juices, but the rest of my point still stands. Still would love to see illustrations.

I'd say more about why, but Fred took care of it. Thank you, Fred.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, November 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You know what would be amusing? For the drive, write some kind of script that selects a random image from google images or bing or something. One time, you fight a plate of spaghetti, next time, it's wilford brimley.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 10:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That could become awfully dangerous. Some images we don't want to see, even if they are supposedly "harmless".

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 11:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

You know what would be amusing? For the drive, write some kind of script that selects a random image from google images or bing or something. One time, you fight a plate of spaghetti, next time, it's wilford brimley.

This is hilarious in theory, but... yeah, what Paul said.

Profile Email
Kash
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 12:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Paul+Lo

That could become awfully dangerous. Some images we don't want to see, even if they are supposedly "harmless".

On the other hand, the game is Age 18+ already and despite the distinct... dissavour of some "harmless" gimages I think it could be a reasonable addition of risk in a game where there is already a/several brothel(s), midgets, and naked people running around killing things.

Not that I'm in favor of it, just saying...

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Monday, November 29 2010 @ 10:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If there were to be illustrations, could there be a separate toggle in preferences to turn off images without monster descriptions? I enjoy reading the descriptions, but don't think I'd like to see a picture. I prefer the image of what the text creates.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Tuesday, November 30 2010 @ 09:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Please do not give us illustrations.

I prefer my games to be more fun than they are pretty. I would like more places, more ways to interact with the world, more NPCs, etc. I would much prefer to look only at text, little colored squares, and the race icons while playing a whiz-bang game.

Examples: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. VERY pretty. Low Content.
Zork. No pictures. Fucking amazing.

See also: Bernard and Geppetto's wisdom, page one.

Thank you kindly for the offer, though.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Makiwa
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 09:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm all for some more pretty pictures around the place within reason a la the sign posts like The Sunny Spot - maybe even an option at some point to hang your own sign outside your dwelling.

But I vote a big no for monster depictions and NPCs

I like the random image for the Drive though - I'm sure google safe search can be coded to filter out the more erm, explicit images.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 02:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Makiwa

I like the random image for the Drive though - I'm sure google safe search can be coded to filter out the more erm, explicit images.

That's what I was thinking... or, it would be a bit less random, but the "Interesting Images of the day" or whatever it's called on flickr.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 02:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's what I was thinking... or, it would be a bit less random, but the "Interesting Images of the day" or whatever it's called on flickr.

Hmmm - how about a directory dedicated to peoples' submissions of "this is what I think the drive looks like" images, (see this thread) monitored by admins/mods?

Thank you.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 02:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

Hmmm - how about a directory dedicated to peoples' submissions of "this is what I think the drive looks like" images, (see this thread) monitored by admins/mods?

That would be fun.... I'd be uploading some ridiculous stuff.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 03:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh yes! An even better idea a space where we can upload our weird ideas of what the drive actually looks like.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 03:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

[04:31] Anyway, I'd like to submit this as the basic improbability drive mechanism. The rest is just interface, I think. http://giavasan.diludovico.it/archivi/public_html/giavasan/archivi/images/TrichotometricIndicator.jpg

Jokes aside, I am against in-game images. It would just spoil the atmosphere.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Adder Moray
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 05:34 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

If I were to say no it would be for purely selfish reasons.

Those selfish reasons being my 56k home connection.

So I shall refrain from voting.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 07:32 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Oh yes! An even better idea a space where we can upload our weird ideas of what the drive actually looks like.

There's a Gallery of Shame right here in the Enquirer. Lots of fan art already -- here.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, February 23 2014 @ 09:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not necromancing this thread to ask for illustrations. While I think pictures are cool, I take Harris' position that CavemanJoe's time and money is better spent towards Season 3 and the "Keep CMJ from Having to Eat His Own Boots" fund, respectively. Instead, I'm necromancing this thread because of my curiosity about this:

Oh, I should mention: I won't be drawing any of these, because I can't draw worth a damn. Dyspraxia, y'see. They'd have to be commissioned pieces.

Namely, if CMJ can't draw worth a damn, how did we get all the pretty pictures we already have, items and bar games and such? Did someone else do them? Did he make them on the computer? Is he just taking pictures, and he actually has a One Shot Teleporter and a Clatter machine? What's the process like here?

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, February 25 2014 @ 03:18 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Note carefully how all of the graphics I make are of machines, textures, sharp edges, straight lines. And stock photos shrunk down to 80 pixels and Potatoshopped.

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, March 04 2014 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah, I see, Mr. Joe! Very clever! Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply