Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Improbable Island Hundred-Point Rally..
 |  Printable Version
Ashtu
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 03:22 AM UTC (Read 6705 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

....is awesome. Words fail me.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 03:42 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Ashtu

....is awesome. Words fail me.

I agree -- awesome is the word.

smalltext to avoid spoilering:
There is one small ambiguity in the instructions, though. If you are supposed to have to hunt down your unordered points without knowing what they are (which is fine!), the robot should not be saying you'll be "given another fifty coordinates." That sounds like you will at some point be given a list. (Or, if the instructions are phrased right, then there's a bug, because I did not receive a list.)

Profile Email
Anonymous: Raimar
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 04:25 AM UTC  

Agreed, is awesome!
Two things, though;
First: I have found 100 points, and yet the Ranking List says that I've found 99. I've counted, twice; 100. All numbers are crossed off. Why?
Second: An easy cheat for it is First Class Rail passes. Just saying.

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 04:43 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Raimar

Agreed, is awesome!
Two things, though;
First: I have found 100 points, and yet the Ranking List says that I've found 99. I've counted, twice; 100. All numbers are crossed off. Why?
Second: An easy cheat for it is First Class Rail passes. Just saying.

Funnily enough, your data array looks like this:

PHP Formatted Code
'sequencedpoints' = '51'
'unorderedpoints' = 'array(49) {
'
0' = '8,32,1'
'
1' = '24,9,1'
'
2' = '15,17,1'
'
3' = '9,34,1'
'
4' = '15,28,1'
'
5' = '10,18,1'
'
6' = '19,31,1'
'
7' = '20,28,1'
'
8' = '23,22,1'
'
9' = '10,13,1'
'
10' = '9,7,1'
'
11' = '21,28,1'
'
12' = '15,3,1'
'
13' = '5,6,1'
'
14' = '10,17,1'
'
15' = '12,15,1'
'
16' = '15,4,1'
'
17' = '2,2,1'
'
18' = '2,8,1'
'
19' = '1,10,1'
'
20' = '2,14,1'
'
21' = '1,4,1'
'
22' = '14,14,1'
'
23' = '10,20,1'
'
24' = '9,26,1'
'
25' = '12,13,1'
'
26' = '14,17,1'
'
27' = '6,10,1'
'
28' = '10,32,1'
'
29' = '13,33,1'
'
30' = '20,32,1'
'
31' = '25,4,1'
'
32' = '21,15,1'
'
33' = '24,40,1'
'
34' = '3,24,1'
'
35' = '20,19,1'
'
36' = '8,39,1'
'
37' = '23,30,1'
'
38' = '17,8,1'
'
39' = '16,7,1'
'
40' = '22,23,1'
'
41' = '20,35,1'
'
42' = '15,29,1'
'
43' = '21,32,1'
'
44' = '6,38,1'
'
45' = '3,14,1'
'
46' = '20,2,1'
'
47' = '1,28,1'
'
48' = '14,35,1'
}'

Ah, the joys of beta testing.

Profile Email Website
Iriana
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 04:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Heartily agreed! Who knew rocketing madly to the farthest reaches of the Island could be so much fun.

Sessine: When you start traveling, "Rally Points" in the text that says how many points you've hit is a link with the list. I didn't see that at first, either, and I kept going back to the Rally Headquarters thinking "Um, miss robot, are you forgetting something?"

Similarly to Raimar, I hit 100 points a while ago, but my number 50 isn't stricken from the list. I assumed that I'd missed it, so I hiked all the way back to (8,14), but nothing happened, so I think I'd already hit it. The text on the travel page says I've reached 49 out of 50 Unordered Points, too.

I think Raimar must have beaten me to it, so congratulations Raimar for being the first winner of the first Hundred-Point Rally!
/cue applause

(And again: CMJ, you rock. I enjoyed the Rally immensely. I've seen stretches of the Island that I've never set foot in before now, so definitely a big thumbs-up from me. Woohoo!)

Profile Email
Anonymous: Raimar
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 05:06 AM UTC  

Sorry, CMJ, I have no clue what that says, I can't read coding language.
I have now checked the list 5 times, though, and all points are crossed off, and the screen still says I have 49/50. (tried posting a screenshot... can't quite figure out how.)
Iriana; My rally point list says that you have found 100, and I'm still at 99, so unless you see the reverse (me 100, you 99), then I think you won! /cue applause?

Iriana
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 05:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd put up screenshots if I could, but I'm using a borrowed iBook running Mac OS 10.3, which for some utterly inexplicable reason saves screenshots as .pdf files. What?

I see myself with 100 and you with 99, but it sounds like you hit all the points before I did? And of course the numbers aren't quite right yet. Unofficially, I think you win! Or, well, something like that. Big Grin

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 05:30 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

An easy cheat for it is First Class Rail passes. Just saying.

I don't think that's cheating. Transportation on the Island is what it is. The trains are there. They are part of the Island.

We are supposed to visit the coordinates. There's nothing in the terms of the rally saying we are required to walk to them. If it is more efficient to walk to the next destination, do that. If it is more efficient to head in the opposite direction, towards a train station, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

My response when I saw this was a delighted, "Wow, at last! A really good use for a First Class ticket!"

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 05:35 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I don't think that's cheating. Transportation on the Island is what it is. The trains are there. They are part of the Island.

We are supposed to visit the coordinates. There's nothing in the terms of the rally saying we are required to walk to them. If it is more efficient to walk to the next destination, do that. If it is more efficient to head in the opposite direction, towards a train station, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

My response when I saw this was a delighted, "Wow, at last! A really good use for a First Class ticket!"

I firmly disagree. The spirit of it, to me, seems to be in favor of encouraging actual map travel -- not station-hopping. If station-hopping is the goal, that really only serves to exacerbate the old trend of folks popping into (and straight out of) known card-drop Dwellings to hoard cards, dunnit?

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 05:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think it's almost impossible to do the Rally competitively without First-Class Passes. I'd have to look at the stam costs more carefully, but I'm not sure it can be done, even with three-steaks and the standard two chronos. OSTs, I guess, but those will only get you to outposts.

Edit in light of Zolotisty's post:

I used First-Class Passes--three of them, I think. But I actually think the trains encourages traveling the map, because--you can only get /from/ an outpost /to/ a far-out point. You still have to walk all the way back to another station, or to the next point. (Unless you take the train to the point, then use an OST to get back, which is kind of defeating the point.) I still did an awful lot of walking, and ended up going to all four corners of the map and seeing quite a bit of the world.

The map is very big, and there are only eight stations, spread out fairly far apart. Tomorrow I might scan in the map I used to plot my route, and I think it justifies the use of First-Class Passes. Really, you do end up hiking through the jungle most of the time.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 05:58 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Zolotisty

I firmly disagree. The spirit of it, to me, seems to be in favor of encouraging actual map travel -- not station-hopping. If station-hopping is the goal, that really only serves to exacerbate the old trend of folks popping into (and straight out of) known card-drop Dwellings to hoard cards, dunnit?

The stations are real places on the map, too. You have to choose each time, at each location, whether it's more stamina-efficient to walk to a station next, or direct to your next set of coordinates. The answer is not always the station.

(By the way, "known card-drop Dwellings" are going to stop being all predictable-like Real Soon Now.*)
--
* Well-known term of art in the computer software industry.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 06:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The trains are a part of strategy, just like walking or OSTs are, and I think another part of the Rally is to encourage people to learn what works best in terms of travel options... but that's just me. Like Sessine said, sometimes it is better to walk those ten squares to the next points, but sometimes it's better to take the train.

Speaking of travel options, I think I'm going to spring for a mount that lowers my encounter rate, instead of running into a Sorority Girl in Nightie every two steps. Neutral

(By the way, "known card-drop Dwellings" are going to stop being all predictable-like Real Soon Now.*)

Hurrah!

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 12:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoeAh, the joys of beta testing.

Cheater! *grin*
Yes, I know that was just to end the beta-testing. But still funny.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, November 17 2010 @ 09:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

--
* Well-known term of art in the computer software industry.

Is that in Valve time or Improbable DST Time?

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Mogar
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 01:43 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Does that mean that there are going to me more dwelling-specific/customized card-drop locations?
...and with the larger amount of them, that they'll be turning on and off randomly?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 04:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm a bit confused about the 24-hour thing - I was under the impression that at the end of the 24-hour period, the person with the fastest time won. However, after waiting 24 hours for the race to start, I woke up to a notification that it had started at 12:30AM, and that it finished at ~3AM. Am I misunderstanding it?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 04:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

I'm a bit confused about the 24-hour thing - I was under the impression that at the end of the 24-hour period, the person with the fastest time won. However, after waiting 24 hours for the race to start, I woke up to a notification that it had started at 12:30AM, and that it finished at ~3AM. Am I misunderstanding it?

Are those times (12:30 and 3 am) real time or game time? The rally, I think, runs on game time.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 05:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Are those times (12:30 and 3 am) real time or game time? The rally, I think, runs on game time.

12:30AM EST was when the next race began. I signed up at 12:35 or so the first day, so I was stuck waiting 24 hours before I the rally I signed up for started. Pretty sure the second email came at 3-3:30AM EST.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 05:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

12:30AM EST was when the next race began. I signed up at 12:35 or so the first day, so I was stuck waiting 24 hours before I the rally I signed up for started. Pretty sure the second email came at 3-3:30AM EST.

I can't really do math at all, but I think that would be correct game time. Or maybe not.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 05:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I can't really do math at all, but I think that would be correct game time. Or maybe not.

My point being that I thought the point of the race being every 24 hours was that it wasn't a first-to-the-finish thing in order to facilitate people in other time zones. The fact that it ends as soon as someone finishes it means that it's a limited time thing, and therefor completely inconvenient to people who are busy (Work, Sleep, School) during what little time it runs (Three hour window for the one I "participated" in by paying 4 cigs to get a message that I'd missed the event).

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply