Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Improbable Island Hundred-Point Rally..
 |  Printable Version
calliaphone
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

is it just me that has no idea at all what this thread is about? don't get me wrong, it seems a very nice thread. but ... whuhh?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 10:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: calliaphone

is it just me that has no idea at all what this thread is about? don't get me wrong, it seems a very nice thread. but ... whuhh?

http://www.improbableisland.com/motd.php Second one down. :V

Goat Collector

Profile Email
calliaphone
 Friday, November 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

thank'ee ... dunno how i missed that MoTD, but at least i'm a mite less confused now.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Saturday, November 20 2010 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The Rally runs on realtime, not game time. The next one begins 24 hours after the first one is won. (So as in it's 12:00 am, Rally 1 starts. 1:30 am, someone wins it. 1:30 am the next day, Rally 2 starts. 2:40, someone wins it. 2:40 the next day, Rally 3 starts...)

The race takes between one hour to three hours, depending on people's resources, how lucky/unlucky they are with the points they get, and who's playing at any given time. So, if it cycles as people win it, the start time would slowly move around the clock (in the example, while 1 started at 12 midnight, 3 would start at 3 am) and eventually there'd be one that you could participate in.

It's a rough guess, and you can't know when someone will win the previous one, but you can guess on an average of two hours (time to complete race) + 24 hours (time until next rally) after the first one started. Even if you start a little late it won't hurt your chances much.

However, some of the text in the Headquarters does need a little clearing up. I think it should tell you, before you start, where to find your list of points (I cannot be the only one who had trouble with that Neutral ). It should also explain the enter-next-race-24-hours thing a little better, to avoid misunderstandings like this one.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, May 17 2011 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love the Rally. Looking back over my Distractions, I've played 34 times and only lost three of those. To CMJ, thank you for making it, and thank you for improving it, too - and to everyone else who plays, thank you for the fun racing (and, often, the cigs)!

There are a few little bugs, though:

• The link for showing the points disappears once you've hit all of the Unsequenced points. Unless you've kept the tab open, once it's gone, you can't see where to go or how your opponents are doing.
  • There's no direction indicator ("next point 1N 7E" or whatever) for finding Sequenced Point 50.

Those two, in combination, could make someone who hadn't noted down the location of point 50 unable to find it except by scouring the whole map.

• Having hit all of the Unsequenced points and 49 of the Sequenced points can sometimes make you win without hitting point 50.

Also, here are a few suggestions for improvements, that may or may not be good ideas:
  • A trophy for winning a Rally.
  • A trophy for winning a Rally in under a certain time - my record is 47 minutes (no trains or one-shots); how about for under an hour or under three-quarter hour?
  • A trophy for winning lots of Rallies.
  • Hall of Fame entries for number of Rallies won.
  • See who is competing before entering.
  • See how many points the players have without entering (currently, you take a blind chance on entering if it's already going with 23+ cigs in the pot. This might well be deliberate - if this was allowed, then people wouldn't enter unless they were fairly sure that they could win).
  • For an extra few cigs (perhaps double the usual entry fee?), have your rally points displayed as a map rather than as a list.
  • Have Unsequenced Points listed sorted by coordinates, not randomly.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Iriana
 Wednesday, May 18 2011 @ 03:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, trophies! A HoF slot! That sounds stellar. More medals are always nice.

I do think that the number of points your competitors have already reached shouldn't be revealed before you enter. It should be a bit of a gamble, and if you know you're 50 points behind, you might not take that risk. But it's almost more fun when you're racing against all odds.

I also don't think that a few more cigs should get the points displayed as a map because--well, maybe you have some wonderful way to chart all the points, but I usually draw a map by hand (yes, it's pathetic, I know). If someone else had the map just by paying more cigs, there's no way I'd ever win. Isn't the fun part trying to map out the points and the paths in between? And for people with fewer cigs (new folk!) it's better to keep the playing field more even. Although maybe I just feel like this is a horrible disadvantage because my method of doing the Rally is so stupid.

And:

Quote by: Buddleia
- See who is competing before entering.

Yes, so that if I see Buddleia already in the race, I know to make like a tree and leave. Wink

Actually, it's for this reason that I'm not sure this is a good idea. If someone who wins 92% of the time (ahem cough who could this possibly be) is already playing, it's hard to feel good about entering, so it's the same idea as not wanting to see the points that other players have.

Profile Email
Jolene
 Tuesday, May 24 2011 @ 09:25 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Seconded! Medals and a Hall of Fame would be nice, but newcomers would have less chance to win if you could use cigs to make it easier.

Profile Email
Mongo
 Tuesday, May 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Definitely Medals! Maybe HoF.

At this time, the Rally is an investment for me. I'll continue to pay my four cigs for a chance to improve my time. I try to pick the runs that no-one else wants (after 18:00+) for practice. I have noticed that competition improves my times more than just completing the run. As long as I can continue to improve, I'll keep trying.

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, October 02 2011 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Confirming that the bugs still happen. (Low priority, affecting few players, but they are still there.)

Also,

Having hit all of the Unsequenced points and 49 of the Sequenced points can sometimes make you win without hitting point 50.
More data: You need to hit Sequenced Point 49, then hit the last of the Unsequenced, and it announces you've won without having to go to Sequenced Point 50.
Link where happened: (not that it looks very helpful): http://www.improbableisland.com/runmodule.php?module=worldmapen&op=move&oloc=9%2C16%2C1&dir=south&c=1544-233251

A couple of very minor presentation bugs to go with the Rally:
1. In the end-of-race Distraction, there needs to be a `0 or `^ after the winner's name. If they have colour codes in their name or title, the Distraction starts off in `^, goes to colours for their name, and is thereafter in `~.
2. On the map screen, the orange Rally information text needs a `0 at the end. The orange spills through to messages that appear after it.
3. The oRit also needs a `n or two at the start. For certain map/travel info, it appears not in a new line, and not even with a space before it, just tacked straight onto the end of the last sentence of the text above.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply