Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Letter from Stern (SPOILER THREAD)
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 01:14 AM UTC (Read 11475 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Wahey! Making a thread!

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Please tell me someone chose to run. Please? Please? I would've ran but... [01h40m] Admin CavemanJoe says "Oh, and by the way? I highly recommend that you run. Nothing bad will happen."

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Kelwine
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:19 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Loved it. Awesome. And..err. That's all I can say about that! Woo.

Profile Email
Mothball
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

...And it's going to end up that you encounter the Stranger or something if you run...D:

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, the first part made me shiver. I feel on-edge and unsafe in my own bed. Thank you, you horrible evil person, CMJ, sir.

And then, when the subject changed - wow, that was unexpected. And then, let's all say it together: d'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

I've got the text for if you Chose-Your-Own-Adventure with option three. Anyone want to compare notes?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Kelwine
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 02:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've got option two. (At least I believe that's the one I picked.) I'd be up for it.

Profile Email
A Bad Joker
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 03:21 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Yessss.......

I'm so, so lonely so

Profile Email
Wolfgang
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 03:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

When and how do you get this Letter? is this connected to the Punishment and Stern ciphers from before?

Profile Email
Symar
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For the sake of science, I'll choose the run option.

Spoiler!

You put down your tea. You get up out of your chair. You give Mister Stern a respectful bow, and then you jump out of the window.

You roll when you hit the ground, shards of glass tangled in your hair, and then you're running again. You run until you reach the waves lapping on the beach, and you don't stop there. When you can't run any more, you swim. Before long you feel yourself passing through the Improbability Bubble. A little while later, you pass the FailBoat. Within another minute, you find yourself surrounded by sharks.

You welcome them. Sharks are straightforward. They don't ask you for relationship advice. As they gobble you up, you laugh through your bloody gurglings. Everything is so wonderfully simple.

GAME OVER

"Well?" says Mister Stern.

EXTRA LIFE
You don't get off that easily

You snap out of the daydream. "I'm sorry, I was... considering the question very carefully, there."

Profile Email
Symar
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And by the way, I'm loving this. And the End-of-Season-One reference was nice to see as well.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Symar

And by the way, I'm loving this. And the End-of-Season-One reference was nice to see as well.

That raises questions for the other 90% of the player base who weren't here two years ago. What happened, exactly?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:35 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Beeps

That raises questions for the other 90% of the player base who weren't here two years ago. What happened, exactly?

In a nutshell, the Network decided to cancel the show and dispose of the Drive with one of the few remaining nukes. We could have told them that was a bad idea... The drive changed the nuke into a tennis ball.

Then the tennis ball exploded.

For a few hours there were a very large number of parallel universes in which pretty much anything players wanted could be happening. These eventually coalesced into two:* One that was just like the old S1 -- except that the Network execs had never made that stupid decision. And the other... the other was the brand new Season Two.

The S1 universe continued to exist -- for a good while, it could even be visited, if you wanted to. In theory it exists still, but it has drifted too far from us and is no longer accessible from here. (That is, Dan eventually shut down that server.)

So, during that crazy scrambling few hours when multiple universes were intersecting each other, people could write their own transition stories, and they were all true.
--
* Two... that we know of. There could certainly be others.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ssssooo, uh. I read the "season two" feature list from before Season 2 came out.

FOEBOTS
These sinister, black-painted metal dolls have no humanity left in them whatsoever. .... The only warmth or light in a FoeBot's body lies in its eyes - light-sensitive chemical cameras sit behind thick glass lenses, burning dull orange like hot coals.

Black skin, dull orange eyes. HMM.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Chimental
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another great day for a veteran. You just defeated the Drive three times. Today. Naked. With those faulty fists that you got from that guy in the Spiderkitty's alley. You look at your new statue for three seconds before it is immediately demolished for the next hero of the Island.

You hear a metallic scream. Turning your head you see a female robot, optics glued to a smoldering pile on the pavement. There's a broken bottle of Scotch and a still lit cigarette. A Midget was just there.

A flash of light catches your eye. Mike's chop shop. You turn to the place of business. Nothing's there. Nothing. No building. No bulldozers. No Mike.

Another scream pierces your ears. It's the same robot. She's gone too. Second by second, the people and places around you seem to disappear, and all you can do is sit there and hear them no longer exist. It's driving you mad. In a fit of anger and confusion, you yell.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING O-"

You're breath catches in your throat as the world around explodes, or implodes, or maybe it just 'plodes'. It feels like you've been pushed through the eye of a needle, then the eye of a blender. Then, black.

How long were you out? Days, minutes, leap years? Who knows.

You cradle your head, taking a look at your surroundings.

How did I end up here?

It's a question that you must have asked yourself at one point in your life or another...

See what I did there? Truthfully, nothing 'Story arc' wise I can think of happened at the end of Season One. Just POOF we're here. Also we need a color that blends in the background here.

Edited because I take too long to write: Hey, my rambling almost fits with Sessine's.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 05:08 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Chimental

Another great day for a veteran. You just defeated the Drive three times. Today. Naked. With those faulty fists that you got from that guy in the Spiderkitty's alley. You look at your new statue for three seconds before it is immediately demolished for the next hero of the Island.

You hear a metallic scream. Turning your head you see a female robot, optics glued to a smoldering pile on the pavement. There's a broken bottle of Scotch and a still lit cigarette. A Midget was just there.

A flash of light catches your eye. Mike's chop shop. You turn to the place of business. Nothing's there. Nothing. No building. No bulldozers. No Mike.

Another scream pierces your ears. It's the same robot. She's gone too. Second by second, the people and places around you seem to disappear, and all you can do is sit there and hear them no longer exist. It's driving you mad. In a fit of anger and confusion, you yell.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING O-"

You're breath catches in your throat as the world around explodes, or implodes, or maybe it just 'plodes'. It feels like you've been pushed through the eye of a needle, then the eye of a blender. Then, black.

How long were you out? Days, minutes, leap years? Who knows.

You cradle your head, taking a look at your surroundings.

How did I end up here?

It's a question that you must have asked yourself at one point in your life or another...

See what I did there? Truthfully, nothing 'Story arc' wise I can think of happened at the end of Season One. Just POOF we're here. Also we need a color that blends in the background here.

Edited because I take too long to write: Hey, my rambling almost fits with Sessine's.

This was one of the multiple universes, all true.

But the nuke/tennis ball... is canon.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 05:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That explains Veterans' aversion to sports. #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 05:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wolfgang: you'll get a Distraction when you've met the requirements for it, whatever they may be. Since this is the Spoiler Thread, I can tell you the obvious ones - you've got to have met the Stranger (which I think is 10 DKs? Please correct me if I'm wrong), and have done the other Stern/Punishment cipher-solving quest.

Here's the first Stern quest. Here is this new part.

Oh, and, if anyone has a gdocs/formatted log of the Stranger encounter, I'd love to add it to my Stories folder. A text file is just not the same.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 05:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

When you say formatted, do you mean with the color codes and whatnot intact? I could lift the text straight from the April 8th commit.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Shi
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

waargh fell off my chair. that was amazing.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wow...! Well that creeped me out like crazy until the topic shifted so suddenly! Big Grin I took the second option, but forgot to save it for Budd. Oops!

Also, the Stranger incident is in the wiki, isn't it? I remember seeing someone post the whole encounter there...

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply