Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Combat Hotkeys
 |  Printable Version
Maniak
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:11 PM UTC (Read 9850 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Automatic Fighting
(%) For 5 Rounds
()) For 10 Rounds
To the Death[/p]

CMJ sayeth in Radio Banter: The new hotkeys are here to stay, to make way for our awesome new combat system coming very soon.

I think they're ugly, and I hear the shift modifier isn't too popular amongst Windows users. Luckily, we have an approachable Admin, and he's open for suggestions that leave the numerals free.

So, suggestions? I think the change to D is popular, it removes the 'problem' some people having with accidentally hitting To the Death after looking for Trouble. The F and R keys aren't an option, since Fight and Run already use those. O and U would do. They're not the most logical, but they'd remove the brackets. Otherwise, I think Q and E wouldn't be bad. They're all under the left hand.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Awh, that'll sure teach me to say things before reading other things.

I'm excited to see what comes of this, yet at the same time, I think having to use the shift modifier is really super annoying. I think Q and E work well, though, yes, or maybe even A and S, because they come before D on the keyboard.

Edit: Oh wait I forgot that both of those were used by ChemPack.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My main concern is the "Fight for % rounds"/"Fight for ) rounds" hotkeys...

That eliminates my numpad junglefighting:
*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5 doesn't work so well when there's no % over there Razz

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What about + and -? + is a shift-key on the main keyboard, and easily accessible for the numpad.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

What about + and -? + is a shift-key on the main keyboard, and easily accessible for the numpad.

This! If it's going to be changed to be a shifted key on the main side, then +- would work, unless the numpad is going to be used for the new combat system or what have you...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
jakell
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Second this! Very much so! While I am admittely almost never in the jungle anymore, these keys have been lollygagging on my keyboard for far too long now; let's put them to use! I would suggest + for ten rounds, and - for five rounds?

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Please think of the people on a phone, or on a laptop without a numpad.

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 09:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

How easy is % or ) for them?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 10:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Please, please, anything but shift-keys. For commands that get used so much, so many times a gameday, it is going to really irritate me to have to lift my arm and make that awkward stretch every damn time I run across a monster. Seriously, it's minor annoyances like that that can make me just stop playing for days at a time.

I loved 5 and 0 on my numpad. I can probably survive their loss if there's going to be a new combat system that uses the numbers for something else instead.

I wouldn't mind /, - and + being used, since I already have * for suicidals - but yes, we've got to consider everyone who plays, on all the variety of keyboards and phones and so on. How about z and x? or , and . ?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
jakell
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 10:25 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Maniak

Please think of the people on a phone, or on a laptop without a numpad.

While my lappy does have a numpad, I see your point. Perhaps - and = instead? I think those are fairly ubiquitous on most keyboards. Or, we could go [, ], and \ for five rounds, ten rounds, and to the death (or , . / ). I don't believe those are in use yet, and I like the idea of having the three attack keys right next to eachother.

Sadly, I have no clue what is on phone keyboards these days, so I can't comment on how poor my suggestion is for them. If letters are all that is available to them, I would second Maniak's Q and E suggestion. Being able to enter an "Easy fight" then fight to" thE death" with the same key would be nice; and probably more people would intend to do that then they had with the "looking for Trouble" then "To the death" keying we had before.
I haven't looked for trouble in months...

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 10:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

How easy is % or ) for [phones or non-numpad laptops]?

It... isn't. On my phone, ) requires a shift, which is weird enough on a phone. It's nothing compared to %, which requires clicking once to bring up the symbol menu, then scrolling through the menu (at least two more clicks), then another click to press the % option. That's a little bit annoying. But I'm glad that at least ) is 10 rounds. I use that more often than 5. And I guess I just won't use 5 rounds on my phone--that's okay.

(And I have a full keyboard--if there's anyone who plays on a simple numberpad phone, they're sort of screwed.)

I appreciate the D change; I often hit To the Death, then hit T again and wind up looking for Trouble when I'd rather be looking for Big Trouble.

It'll take a bit of getting used to, that's for sure.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 10:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To prevent any mixups from now on, the following changes will be made:

• Looking for Trouble is now , with Easy Fight replacing it as if it is available. Selecting a more difficult fight involves pressing more times while the page is loading (Twice for Big trouble, three times for Suicidal, etc)
  • Traveling was determined to be too confusing because RTYFHVBN is slanted. Rather than going back to the num pad, the keys are now QWERTYUIO, going clockwise from north (Q for north, W for northeast, E for east, so on).
  • To the Death has been replaced with a 'Go for the Throat' option in targeted combat.
  • To ensure ease of access, Have a Smoke is now bound to every key while in a village.
  • Login is now tied to the hotkey system. To log in, press "L," then the corresponding letter for your user name, then enter your password into the field that appears.
  • To prevent accidental use of "Go for the Throat" while travelling, combat now has a confirmation page after selecting "Go for the Throat," which also gives the option to ask the monster to wait while you go to town and deposit all req on hand before continuing the fight.
  • All hotkey commands are disabled by default to prevent accidental navigation. To activate a command, press Shift five times, then hold it down for ten seconds. You'll hear a beep, after which you must press the key for the command you wish to activate. After it is activated, a hotkey can be used until you log out. This must be done for each hotkey.DON'T ACTUALLY TRY THIS JUST REMEMBERED THESE THINGS SET OFF CRAZY SHIT ON WINDOWS

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For those that still use a mouse, all links must now be doubleclicked. If you're on Windows, a new window will pop-up asking you for admin rights and confirmation.

The point is, hotkeys have to be accessible and quick. % and ) aren't, and that's why they're poor choices. We've already established that, we just need good alternatives.

Profile Email Website
Edith
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 11:36 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Maniak

The point is, hotkeys have to be accessible and quick. % and ) aren't, and that's why they're poor choices. We've already established that, we just need good alternatives.

THIS. This. this. A million times this. Shift is not easy or accessible for quick fighting. I do not like jungle fighting. The more fights I can do in a short amount of time the better for my sanity.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, May 09 2011 @ 11:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

which also gives the option to ask the monster to wait while you go to town and deposit all req on hand before continuing the fight

I know you're just being smarmy, but I'd actually like like this.

Or maybe just make monster encounters on top of outpost squares not happen anymore. I mean, it kinda makes sense.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 01:44 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Still open for discussion of alternatives, guys.

Profile Email Website
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 01:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Personally, I like the new hotkeys. My pinkie's glued to shift and my hand swivels from that. Very quick, very easy. The new keys made it more likely I'd actually use those 5- and 10-round options.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 01:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One of the major things I'm having trouble planning around is the fact that we don't know what you're up to. Reclaiming 1, 5, and T implies that you want the top two rows of the keyboard free, which removes QWERYUIOP as options. Of course, maybe you just want the number keys, and T was changed for the sake of the traveling issues, in which case those keys are still available. I don't have a complete list of all keys that are currently used in combat (Sure, I have all the ones for my current race and implant), so a number of suggestions would probably get killed by that.

The -/+ options were shot down by laptop and mobile users. So my first thought is for them to give us some suggestions for those of us who don't use those, to give us a better idea of what they have.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Rosin
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 02:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As one of those Fancy Trained Typists (okay so maybe it was a very VERY basic coding class back in highschool and they made us do drills in proper typing positions) who uses both hands on the keyboard at all times, these don't bother me that much.. Yet. They'll take some getting used to, as after two years of so or jungle fighting I fell into a routine with where my fingers were supposed to go (so my right hand could be holding my tea while I fought with my left, very ladylike I know).

On phones, I imagine this will be no fun at all, however. I have no idea what we could use for replacements, or why the original hotkeys are out, but.. Perhaps some basic home row keys accessible by left hand? Aside from A and S being used for implants as was mentioned, that would've been a lovely row. Perhaps Z X and C? Not sure how well they'd work for reading, but practically speaking they'd be the same as ASD (perhaps doing a bit of implant infringement with the C key, not sure).

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, May 10 2011 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

C messes with insults, but I think the insults need to move because coarse gets messed with whenever there's targeted fighting.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply