Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Combat Hotkeys
 |  Printable Version
Matthew
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 05:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On that note, maybe the To The Death could be switched back to T, and some of the Improbable Events could be rewritten to not use T? I can't count the number of times the old man has killed me because I accidentally kept pressing T.

Perhaps it should be Chat with the old man rather than Talk with the old man. Or maybe Approach the old man. I know that the paths also use T; that could probably also be reworded to use some other letter.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If it's moved, I'd rather to the death stay off of T, because of travelling, unless you want to move the travelling interface, too?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 06:19 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: tehdave

I like where Fred is coming from, but I have to say that I don't see II as so much a "competitive" game as...well... It's an RP forum with a game-based story? The fact that the hotkeys generally line up with the wording helps keep that feel. Maybe give an option to players in preferences for "Optimized hotkeys" vs. "Non-disruptive Hotkeys"...disruptive here referring to the fact that the hotkeys in ()** sort of disrupt the immersion?***

****-Damn you Epaphus for giving me the idea to do footnotes...

People do tell themselves different stories while they're fighting in the jungle, I know, but about the hotkeys? Ah well. In any case, what's mainly under discussion here is the matter of the physically-awkward and (if used a lot) downright painful shifted keys that we're stuck with at the moment for 5- and 10-round fighting.

I can't see any role-playing reason for preferring one or the other between 'To the Death' and 'To the Death'. It's entirely a matter of usability, and conflict with other frequently occurring hotkeys.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

People do tell themselves different stories while they're fighting in the jungle, I know, but about the hotkeys? Ah well. In any case, what's mainly under discussion here is the matter of the physically-awkward and (if used a lot) downright painful shifted keys that we're stuck with at the moment for 5- and 10-round fighting.

I can't see any role-playing reason for preferring one or the other between 'To the Death' over 'To the Death', but I think AliceHeart gives an excellent usability reason.

I meant hotkeys in general,* but yeah...I agree that the horribly-nonergonomic shifted keys should be put to rest... even if it's temporarily left as 5/0 for now until the new combat system is rolled out? afterwards I tend to agree with either -=+ or ,./ for 5/10/tothedeath. Definitely something that doesn't interact with any improbable events for those of us who junglefight on autopilot.

*-to clarify: if you think of II like an interactive book or such, it looks tidier to have the hotkeys embedded in the text, rather than extra text for the hotkeys...maybe I'm just weird, though...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just to make things more confusing, some people have a Dvorak keyboard. So letters go PYFGCRL AOEUIDHTNS QJKXBMWVZ. Just to make it more annoying. However, I'm not too bothered about hotkeys, I can get used to them wherever they are.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

If you (like I) use a DVORAK keyboard, then you must be used to nothing making much sense by now. Wink

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I once considered using GlovePIE and an adapter so I could type with a Guitar Hero controller. (No, really.)
PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN CHOOSING YOUR NEW HOTKEYS

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, May 12 2011 @ 11:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the new ones! Z and X are much better choices. The only problem is that now ZAP Grenades can be any fucking thing instead of always Z. Maybe tie each grenade to the , . / keys? Or perhaps move Use Fight Items above the implants so that the hotkeys aren't messed with? It seems to me like the implant hotkeys are what cause most of the problems; maybe those should be moved to dead last.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, May 13 2011 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Agreed, the Z, X is much nicer! Thanks for listening to our complainin'.

I came uncomfortably close to doing 5 rounds instead of throwing a ZAP grenade, but I'll get used to that after the first few bloody deaths. Serves me right for clicking through things too fast. I personally use inventory items in battle much more often than implant options, so Matt's suggestion might be a good idea.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.77 seconds
New Topic Post Reply