Programming Rants: Commentary and Bios
 |  Printable Version
Reverb
 Friday, November 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

Quote by: CavemanJoe

WELL HEY GUESS WHAT GANG YOU KNOW HOW I SAID I'D DO THAT IN LIKE SIX MONTHS WELL ABOUT THAT...

Your future self made a time machine and gave you the chat design, didn't he? You should be careful with timestream manipulating, don't want to end up having the world ruled by cats.

Too late on that account mate. Now if you'll excuse me, my Glorious Mistress requires her meal and scritchies..

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Temper
 Friday, November 18 2011 @ 10:53 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm gonna throw my hat (which is plain and used and probably the same as multiple hats that have already been tossed in) into the ring!

I like having a mouseover physical description. I don't care where it comes from though, so the eye-con isn't a thing to me.

I always use preferences to hide armor and weapons and races and donator status (especially armor. It always makes my eyes tic when I have a mouseover that states my char is wearing clothes, while the armour screams out to the world that I'm nude). So I'm probably in favor of those staying. *EDIT: I'm in favor of taking the weapons/armor into the bio entirely, if it makes things easier!

Natters are fun, but I could easily live without them, so that's not a deal I mind much, though I've seen many contestants- err, well, some anyways- who have great big fat pages of natter stuff going on.

But honestly, that's just what I use and have seen other people use. What's more important is that you don't have your head explode. And ease of work. If it's going to take you a bazillion years to jigger in preferences, I'd just as soon be wearing clothes and flaunting nudity at the same time while having you break out more new awesome stuff. Big Grin

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Friday, November 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

WELL HEY GUESS WHAT GANG YOU KNOW HOW I SAID I'D DO THAT IN LIKE SIX MONTHS WELL ABOUT THAT...

Your future self made a time machine and gave you the chat design, didn't he? You should be careful with timestream manipulating, don't want to end up having the world ruled by cats.

Too late on that account mate. Now if you'll excuse me, my Glorious Mistress requires her meal and scritchies..

I've read that story! (Neil Gaiman, 'A dream of a thousand cats', Sandman #18)

On topic: change what you need to. Within a few weeks, we'll have forgotten how it used to be. I will miss natters, but they're mostly underused anyway. And the shiny new things will more than make up for that.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Artist+Dragon
 Friday, November 18 2011 @ 06:12 PM UTC  

natters are mostly used for when people don't bother to distract anyway. i nom on other peoples distracts. GO NEW SHINY THINGS!

EDIT: i meant i nom on other peoples natters....not distracts.....but that would have been fun though.

dizzyizzy
 Friday, November 18 2011 @ 07:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Your future self made a time machine and gave you the chat design, didn't he?

Maybe Spock didn't have time for him to figure it out on his own and just gave him the work he would have done himself. (Did that bother the hell out of anyone else in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek? It's like, hey bro, you're super smart and all, but we don't have time for you to do things yourself so we're just gonna gift-wrap your own discovery for you. Congratulations with having a revolutionary applied physics equation fall into your lap, hope you feel accomplished since you did kinda write it sort of but not anymore. [/rant])

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 03:58 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

You know, I'm not sure if I'm the only one that has this problem, or if it's an IE problem like current issues I'm having with mouseovers or what, but I really like natters because they're faster for small messages. Like several people have said, I see them first with notification, it's quick and easy and pleasant.. Plus, sometimes, my distracts WILL NOT LOAD. The page says it's loading, but never does, and I have to fight with it, or go into my history and find an old version that loaded correctly, or go on some other ridiculous quest, just to get a, 'Ok, see you soon!' message.

Most of the other stuff I wouldn't argue about cutting. Mouseover on names? Cool. No icons in mouseovers for weapon/armor, fine. WAY fewer prefs (if any)? You got it.

But cutting natter stings.

I mean, I'm sure I could deal with it, but it would just waste a lot of my time and be troubling. CMJ is having to waste his time and be troubled by having it though, so it seems like one or the other will have to sacrifice..

And in the end, I guess I'm really less important.

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Sonny
 Saturday, November 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Your future self made a time machine and gave you the chat design, didn't he?

Maybe Spock didn't have time for him to figure it out on his own and just gave him the work he would have done himself. (Did that bother the hell out of anyone else in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek? It's like, hey bro, you're super smart and all, but we don't have time for you to do things yourself so we're just gonna gift-wrap your own discovery for you. Congratulations with having a revolutionary applied physics equation fall into your lap, hope you feel accomplished since you did kinda write it sort of but not anymore. [/rant])

Oh yes! But after everything the writers had done before and after it almost doesn't matter. Like when messing up the timeline and imploding Vulcan it wouldn't matter to add another stupid thing to get the protagonists where you need them to be, right? Right? RIGHT?
... Still, the movie looks great and is fun^^ So if Spock gives him the code for a better chat and nothing implodes, explodes, or gets eaten by a black hole I guess we should be fine. Mr. Green

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 12:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I should have put this ages ago, but one thing that bothers me a lot about natters is you have no control over what's on your bio. Sure, you can call mods, but that's not great when we have systems like in places where we can delete stuff on our own.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 06:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just throwing my tuppence in here...

I use distracts and gtalk for comms in the game. I'm not a great a natterer and wouldn't miss it.

Perhaps a wee referendum like we've had in the passed for other things would help?

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, November 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the natter thing (I know I said I wouldn't mention anything but clearly I'm a LIAR),

I only ever started using gchat because I began playing the island.

It works as a 'friends who are online' list AND as a natter space.

So like...shrug.

Whatever?

Moo love.

ALSO: Why did Kirk land on that ice planet like RIGHT NEXT to where old spock was living? That made NO SENSE at ALL. The people who dropped him there didn't know about old spock being there. You're telling me that on an ENTIRE PLANET...that's where they dropped him? A quick run to the cave with Spock?

How very....improbable.

Also I love that movie.

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Svergon
 Monday, November 21 2011 @ 12:58 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Personally, I like the eye. Aside from that though, ambivalence toward most of the rest mentioned; take out whatever is bothersome. I didn't like the "who's typing" indicator, but I presume I am in the minority by a wide margin on that.

Simply: do as you will (but I would like a pref for keeping the eye, just saying...).

Profile Email
TeddybearofDeath
 Monday, November 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: dizzyizzy

I should have put this ages ago, but one thing that bothers me a lot about natters is you have no control over what's on your bio. Sure, you can call mods, but that's not great when we have systems like in places where we can delete stuff on our own.

You actually have a good point there. It's a space that other people write in, that you have no control over. So if something ugly ends up there, you just have to wait it out or something. That's scary.

I've never personally had a problem with it, as my natters are USUALLY light conversation or complete absurdity, but it's a thought that's always made me nervous.

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, November 29 2011 @ 05:54 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

UPDATE:

You guys this is going to look so much better. I'm looking at the chat we have right now, and it just seems so ugly. It makes me sad, for I am looking at the new chat, and it looks a million and one times nicer, and I want you to have it too, but it's not quite ready yet.

We'll be ready soon. Like, maybe Thursday soon.

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Tuesday, November 29 2011 @ 07:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am besides myself with news of the new commentary system, and if I can find a mirror, I will literally be!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 01 2011 @ 06:56 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

WE BROUGHT BACK BREATHING AND IT DIDN'T KILL THE SERVER. Big Grin

This means that the old-version-compatible typing indicator prototype that I uploaded last night will be able to work with the new commentary system!

(the new system doesn't say "x takes a breath...", it just turns their online status indicator white while they're typing)

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 01 2011 @ 08:27 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Also, I was talking about this in NewHome Banter last night, but I'd better put it up here too:

You're going to hate it for the first couple of weeks, and I'm not going to care. You're going to complain and I'm not going to listen to you. You're going to ask for your Preferences back and I'm going to say "LOL NO. Mr. Green " I am going to stick to the damned plan, and it'll be really bloody hard for me to do that since with everything else, I've always listened closely to my players and changed things based on their input. That's how we ended up with such a bloody slow and bloated and ugly commentary system in the first place. This one isn't going to be designed by committee, and I'm not going to try to make something that pleases everyone, so if you have a problem, save your breath and deal with it.

Twisted Evil

And I, meanwhile, will be wringing my hands and going "But I love these guys, how can I leave them wailing and gnashing their teeth like that..." and trying my hardest to keep up the illusion of being a total bastard. Smile

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Friday, December 02 2011 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

just make preferences a pref, obviously

Seriously, though, sounds awesome. I love new stuff. When can we expect to see it?

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, December 02 2011 @ 03:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's quite fair: giving a real judgement on something takes a bit of time to truly get an accurate report.

I'll tell you my overall opinion on the new commentary system in 3 weeks. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Reverb
 Friday, December 02 2011 @ 08:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And I, meanwhile, will be wringing my hands and going "But I love these guys, how can I leave them wailing and gnashing their teeth like that..." and trying my hardest to keep up the illusion of being a total bastard. Smile

Consider this your own, personal version of the Bastard Rank, then. If you complete it, you get a nice trophy.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Flaze
 Tuesday, December 06 2011 @ 08:06 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

You, CMJ! What happens to people who logged in who were last in a bio, like, apparently, me?

Well... Mostly, we get badnavs out the wazoo and can't actually go anywhere. Might want to fix that so that it redirects out of the bio somehow?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm currently stuck in the bio of one of my alts. No way out. Clueless sent in a petition about it.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply