Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Programming Rants: Commentary and Bios
 |  Printable Version
Lady Akitsu
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 03:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Sorry, but could you give me a hint how to do that?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 04:38 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Ah, just Distract me and tell me where the affected Place and Room are at.

Profile Email Website
Mr Geppetto
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 01:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Loving almost all of the new system. I'll join in the general acclaim that it looks sooo much cleaner. I dunno about speed, I was away for a rather long time, and before that, at least, speed wasn't an issue for me.
Also joining in the "Thank you CMJ!" chorus.

I only have two minor gripes, they've been both stated above but reinforcing that won't hurt, eh?
One is the text is a bit too closely bunched together and at least the option to display it spaced at 1 1/2 lines or 2 lines would be nice. It is, for me, a bit hard to read as it is. Might be I'm in a minority, hence the suggestion of opting for that, to suit each player. If that means another pref, sorry, I'm programming illiterate. (or maybe that's something curable by using another browser? I use Chrome)
Two: the mouseover thingy. It covers info in a sensitive area when it appears. Could it pop up further away? Say on the left, over where the time is displayed? It's not a deal breaker, I just think it would be nicer, and if it's not hard to do....

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 05:21 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I had to move the mouseover popup so that it'd work with Internet Explorer. Frown

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 12:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For me, mouseovers don't cover anything important; they pop up at the very top of the chat. Is this just my shitty computer again?

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 02:34 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Docenspiel

For me, mouseovers don't cover anything important; they pop up at the very top of the chat. Is this just my shitty computer again?

Post your browser and its version number, and the same of your operating system.

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 02:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Post your browser and its version number, and the same of your operating system.

Um, Chrome of some kind. I use a Nook. And somebody else said this was happening to them.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Can't fix the bug until you give me more info, man.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 04:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, Chrome of some kind. I use a Nook. And somebody else said this was happening to them.[/p]

For Nooks, I have no idea. But Chrome, look for the little wrench symbol in the open browser tab, click on it, go to About Google Chrome, click on that, and the number that appears in the little popup window that gives you should be the version number of Chrome you're using.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 08:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

Um, Chrome of some kind. I use a Nook. And somebody else said this was happening to them.

For Nooks, I have no idea. But Chrome, look for the little wrench symbol in the open browser tab, click on it, go to About Google Chrome, click on that, and the number that appears in the little popup window that gives you should be the version number of Chrome you're using.

There isn't any Tools or anything. Actually, there's nothing that lets me know I'm using Chrome; I only assume that I am because Android phones use Chrome. The instruction pamphlet is entirely unhelpful too, as its concerns are focused on helping you buy books (it is marketed as an e-book reader with tablet features after all).

EDIT: Just checked Wikipedia and it says the OS is Custom Android 2.2.

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 03:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There isn't any Tools or anything. Actually, there's nothing that lets me know I'm using Chrome; I only assume that I am because Android phones use Chrome. The instruction pamphlet is entirely unhelpful too, as its concerns are focused on helping you buy books (it is marketed as an e-book reader with tablet features after all).

EDIT: Just checked Wikipedia and it says the OS is Custom Android 2.2.

Okay. I looked around, and couldn't find enough documentation about it, but I have found this:

The Nook Color utilizes Android 2.2, Froyo, but try as I may, I am unable to find proper documentation for that.

But after contacting Barnes & Nobles customer support, they gave me their word that they have no idea at all about what they're doing, and that they're just repeating what is said in their specification web page, and that their browser was edited to give it the "look and feel" they want.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 04:18 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I have no access to that browser, and thus can't debug it. Frown Have you tried Dolphin?

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 04:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I have no access to that browser, and thus can't debug it. Frown Have you tried Dolphin?

No, but I hear it tastes like chicken.

Really, what is it? If it's a browser, no can do. Can only use the built in one.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

But after contacting Barnes & Nobles customer support, they gave me their word that they have no idea at all about what they're doing, and that they're just repeating what is said in their specification web page, and that their browser was edited to give it the "look and feel" they want.

Did you just call customer service on someone else's behalf to solve their problem?

Omega: +100 Respect Points

The Nook is an e-reader at heart, and by that design, it has none of the freedoms that Android tablets afford (in comparison to iPad). I would be surprised if a solution was found to making it cleaner on the Nook's Chrome interface: they don't really care that much about supporting the web browser, as it's kind of an aside to the reading--which is still the main point of it.

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 07:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Did you just call customer service on someone else's behalf to solve their problem?

Omega: +100 Respect Points

The Nook is an e-reader at heart, and by that design, it has none of the freedoms that Android tablets afford (in comparison to iPad). I would be surprised if a solution was found to making it cleaner on the Nook's Chrome interface: they don't really care that much about supporting the web browser, as it's kind of an aside to the reading--which is still the main point of it.

Oh, I actually contacted them through their online thingamabob that allows Instant messaging. I had time (Omega: -75 Respect Points)

Oh, by the way, you can change your title accordingly in order to imitate the style of certain special comments in which you include your name. Try:

LINE1:Stepping forward, Omega nods, and gives you your teacup.
LINE2:Omega says `V"Enjoy!"
LINE3`V"Oh, and," say Omega`V"Don't forget the scones!"

It has its limitations, but you were complaining about a problem to which this would be a fix, I think.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You can root the Nook and install a different browser, or other Android apps.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Unless this case is quite different, rooting in my experience isn't really something someone without some tech-savviness should do. I would presume it voids warranties or company support, and the root is broken if Doc ever needs to update the OS. There's complications when it comes to drivers, and a lot of yada yada.

Then again, maybe Docenspiel's totally up for it.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 09:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, I think I can survive scrolling up quickly. I don't know anyone I'd trust with rooting it for me and I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 02:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, sudden thought/request: I'd love it if we could get back a link to our own bio, so we can preview it to make sure everything's showing up right. Is that possible?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 02:50 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

If it's a Nook Colour, then you can just put CyanogenMod on an SD card and boot from SD. When you want to boot the Barnes & Noble version of Android, just remove the SD card. No writing to the internal memory, therefore no warranty problems. Try xda-developers.com for that.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply