Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Programming Rants: Commentary and Bios
 |  Printable Version
talkydoor
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 08:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Oh, sudden thought/request: I'd love it if we could get back a link to our own bio, so we can preview it to make sure everything's showing up right. Is that possible?

Ooh, yes please. And for that blasted quest monster that I've been traipsing all over the IIsland for. My memory is apparently not capable of remembering which stage I'm on.

If the chat would be too cluttered, it could get shoved into Preferences.

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 03:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hint: You can memorize/save your own bio link and open it even when not logged into II. All it takes is a notepad and one lookup in the contestant list.

However, a more accessible link would certainly be convenient!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Harris
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 06:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am tired enough that I wanted to doublecheck something that may already be blinding obvious- Is this the finished version of the new commentary system, or are there more parts yet to be rolled out? If there are more, what will they be?
Thus far, I'm liking the new setup enough that you've got me verra curious!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Sneaky
 Monday, December 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

There is currently no way to save commentary. What happened to that?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/560/004/989.gif

Profile Email
Omega
 Monday, December 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Let me help with that: http://improbableisland.com/problem_report.php?op=chat&petitionid=349

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Ashielf
 Tuesday, December 13 2011 @ 11:47 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

See, I've tried that method, and the commentary I get is back from before the change. It doesn't have anything from after the new commentary system was posted.

We Have Lost the Plot

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, December 13 2011 @ 12:48 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

To save scenes for our personal archives, many of us have taken to using Google documents -- starting with the following template, which gives an Island-compatible coloured background:

Improbable Island Logs Template v.2

(Credit to Shiloh for creating this very, very useful template.)

If you use Chrome to copy and paste, it will even preserve text colours and the Island font. Other browsers may vary. (Er, in fact, I haven't found another one that does; I don't normally use Chrome, but I fire it up specifically to take logs. It's that good.)

The advantage of this method is that it's editable. ("We'll fix it in the log!") It doesn't grab an entire chat space at once, so it does take a bit longer. And if the chat space is currently active when you're copying, you do have to be careful not to lose lines when you page forward. Still, I find the end result pleasing.

Even if you don't like it as much as the one-click Save Commentary, it may serve as a stopgap until that handy function is restored.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, December 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

If you use Chrome to copy and paste, it will even preserve text colours and the Island font. Other browsers may vary. (Er, in fact, I haven't found another one that does; I don't normally use Chrome, but I fire it up specifically to take logs. It's that good.)

The advantage of this method is that it's editable. ("We'll fix it in the log!") It doesn't grab an entire chat space at once, so it does take a bit longer. And if the chat space is currently active when you're copying, you do have to be careful not to lose lines when you page forward. Still, I find the end result pleasing.

Even if you don't like it as much as the one-click Save Commentary, it may serve as a stopgap until that handy function is restored.

Yes! I do this as well! It's SO GREAT! And then you can share your scenes with people with one click! Or well...three or four.

So far the only thing that is not good about this is with the new timestamp I have a harder time editing that out. I'm sure it's just a small pref I missed to hide time (every line beginning with a timestamp is a bit tiresome to read).

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Wednesday, December 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's even a shortcut for that log template. tinyurl.com/ii-log-template

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Wednesday, December 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm, do you suppose that we can take the Island's background and use it instead? It would certainly be more "authentic"...

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, December 14 2011 @ 11:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I cannot find a way of doing that in Google Docs. You can insert an image, but you cannot write on top of it or use it as a background.

It can be done quite easily in MS Word, by setting mainbg.jpg as the page background (that is how I made tinyurl.com/iicolors):

> Format menu
> Background
> Fill Effects
> Picture

However, for the background image to be preserved when uploaded to GDocs, you would have to save locally and upload as a .pdf - so it would not be editable online, only readable.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah, that's the file! Not sure if it's okay to use out of the Island, though.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.97 seconds
New Topic Post Reply