Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Thread for discussing outpost invasions.
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:38 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The way I see this going, Titans won't attack players - they're just too dumb. They'll defend themselves if attacked, sure - but you can run from them during combat without penalty, they don't hit too hard or put up much of a fight, and if you come across one on the World Map and don't fancy fighting, you can just saunter right past it.

Profile Email Website
deema
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:40 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Love the idea of the advance warning and the multiplayer titan combat.
However - couple questions: If the titan's arrival at the Outpost means start of an invasion, what's the point of having wall HP? Whether they are one hundred or 20 million, they will go to zero, right?
Can the players fight the titan before he reaches the outpost, and thus totally preventing the breach if the titan is killed before he reaches destination?
When can we start fighting the first mega-godzilla? Smile

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:42 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yes, if you kill the Titan, the walls will only be subject to normal Onslaught behaviour (albeit toned-down a bit to compensate for the Titans). As for when this'll be ready, I just don't know...

Profile Email Website
Mack
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:44 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I have to say, this sounds both awesome, and hilarious.

Example: Random contestant has been away for a few days, and logs in. He/She leaves his house, and heads to the nearest town. He/She shows up just as a massive titan attacks, leveling the town. He/She looks up, and the only thing that decides to jump out of their mouth is "HOLY SHIT IT'S GODZILLA!"

That aside, I like the idea. I also like the idea of not walking into an ambush every time I try to sell my crates in New Pitts, Squat Hole, Pleasant Ville, CC404, or AceHigh. (Yes, this all happened in one day.)

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 09:32 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Further progress. Buffs affecting the monster don't carry between players, right now... Meaning that if you toss a Zap Grenade, the monster will only appear dazed to you. That, at least, is probably going to have to wait 'til S3. However, the battle log and health bars for your comrades seem to work just fine.

Profile Email Website
talkydoor
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 01:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yesyesyesyesyes

Ahem. I like this idea. Very much. Big Grin
talky* is looking forward to organising attack crews to head off into the wilderness, no knowing if they'll make it back etc etc...

*Talking about her in third person isn't weird at all. Really.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 02:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I can absolutely say "War Party."

Though, the monster just sitting there is kind of boring. Could we get something kind of interesting to go with it, showing what's going on with the Titan? (Love the name, too.)

Like, not even if it's actually doing something, but a little flavor text about dodging a footstep or something or seeing it tromp about or something.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 06:50 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I love it. Inspired! And just think of what it will do for the ratings! Big Grin

A few minor changes that have been mentioned earlier would go well with this...

- Failors dump people outside the outpost, at least if it is overrun.
- You can tell from outside the outpost if it has been overrun.
- You can buy a full monster status report from the comms tent.

(Of course, teleporting into town would still dump you into the middle of the fray.)

Millions of hitpoints sounds terrifying. But not impossible. There are ways built into the game to do ridiculous amounts of damage; now at last they will find a real use beyond laughs and souvenir screen-shots.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:13 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Thoughts?

Ah! A change to Onslaught that is not a tweak to the settings but a rethinking of the way it works! I like!

Without having seen it in action of course, I'll say that this sounds much more promising than what we've got going now.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:30 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Millions of hitpoints sounds terrifying. But not impossible. There are ways built into the game to do ridiculous amounts of damage; now at last they will find a real use beyond laughs and souvenir screen-shots.

Aye, and those might have to be tinkered with in order to make this fun to play.

With things they are right now, if a Titan comes out of the water with a million hitpoints, you can do one of the following:
1. Get a bunch of people together with the best weapons and armour they can carry, and set about destroying it together (fun).
2. Walk up to it with a GargleBlaster and an Elephant Gun (or lob a lucky Improbability Bomb) and kill it with one shot (gets the job done, but not fun at all).

So either Titans must have hitpoints in the hundreds of millions (meaning there's no point at all in fighting one without Elephant Gun and GargleBlaster), or the heavy weapons and ultra-buffs have to be toned down somewhat.

Profile Email Website
Beeker
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:45 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Aye, and those might have to be tinkered with in order to make this fun to play.

With things they are right now, if a Titan comes out of the water with a million hitpoints, you can do one of the following:
1. Get a bunch of people together with the best weapons and armour they can carry, and set about destroying it together (fun).
2. Walk up to it with a GargleBlaster and an Elephant Gun (or lob a lucky Improbability Bomb) and kill it with one shot (gets the job done, but not fun at all).

So either Titans must have hitpoints in the hundreds of millions (meaning there's no point at all in fighting one without Elephant Gun and GargleBlaster), or the heavy weapons and ultra-buffs have to be toned down somewhat.

• How about Imp. Bombs never have the "Black Hole" effect when thrown at Titans. The Black Hole effect is amusing, so maybe keep it in the game but it just never shows up against Titans.
  • Put a check on the Titan, it has to take damage from at least n different weapons before it will die for real. It's like a troll that can only be damaged by fire or acid: these critters, sure, you can shoot them with an elephant gun, but that only does "you got smacked by an elephant" damage. It needs to also take damage of some other types before it will die. I'm not sure the elephant gun is really a concern anyway: how does anyone ever afford those things! But even so, requiring n different weapons to damage it ensures that one single person will not kill it alone.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with the 'No black hole' bit there. That makes sense, else Titans would be no big deal at all.

However, it should be possible for one person to take on a Titan, if they wanted. It should just require them to take a Hell of a long time, and a Hell of a lot of damage over that time. The bragging rights of bringing down a Titan alone is just too much to pass up to a limitation like that, I think.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 07:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Not really possible. Making a Titan easy enough to beat solo would defeat the purpose of having them in the first place, and what're you gonna do when someone else tries to jump in? Tell them "Git tae fook, I've got this'un?"

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I wouldn't have figured it would have been possible to, but it would certainly have been something to aspire towards anyway.

-What about Gargleblasters, then?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

--The image of people waiting in a line with a sign saying "Valiant Charges" pointing to a beastie is kind of hilarious, but it seems like that would count on people dying during the fight, which seems kind of... Well, why would you attack something knowing that you're going to die?

Perhaps for a line in my bio stating ownership of a 2.7% share of The Death of The Horrible Face-Flattener of Squat Swamp... Mr. Green

Following that train of thought, while we're on the subject of achievements and doing something cool and titans... Can we track some sort of stat related to fighting titans? In simplest form, I might suggest a medal that is earned by doing X large amount of damage to titans during your lifetime. In a very complex form, I might suggest a list that tracks the appearance of titans (with fancible names as above) and which can be navigated/expanded to show the names of each player who did damage (over a certain threshold) to that particular titan, ordered by percentage of its total health. So someone really could say, hey! I had such-and-such role in beating this beastie! (And on a slow day, with a head start and a lot of chronospheres, someone could potentially do a majority share of the damage rather than a simple plurality, even if they are unable or hugely unlikely to take it down without anyone else stepping in to help.)

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Beeker
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:17 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: BeekerPut a check on the Titan, it has to take damage from at least n different weapons before it will die for real. It's like a troll that can only be damaged by fire or acid: these critters, sure, you can shoot them with an elephant gun, but that only does "you got smacked by an elephant" damage. It needs to also take damage of some other types before it will die. I'm not sure the elephant gun is really a concern anyway: how does anyone ever afford those things! But even so, requiring n different weapons to damage it ensures that one single person will not kill it alone.

Implementing it this way would allow the possibility that a dozen super killer Gargleblasted high DK raged midgets with crazy gear from Sheila's are whaling on the Titan, and along comes Rookie Joe with his spork and down it goes! I find this idea so entertaining that I say it should definitely be done this way.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Beeker

[*] Put a check on the Titan, it has to take damage from at least n different weapons before it will die for real. It's like a troll that can only be damaged by fire or acid: these critters, sure, you can shoot them with an elephant gun, but that only does "you got smacked by an elephant" damage. It needs to also take damage of some other types before it will die. I'm not sure the elephant gun is really a concern anyway: how does anyone ever afford those things! But even so, requiring n different weapons to damage it ensures that one single person will not kill it alone.
[/list]

Taking an idea from Rockman.Exe:

Something like Auras from that game.

Basically the idea is multiple levels of HP. And before you can do any damage to the next level, you have to destroy the first, and excess damage does not carry over to the next level.

For example, say the first aura has 1 damage left, and you score a black hole on it. The only damage the Titan takes is the 1 that destroys the aura.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:25 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ooh, ooh. What if every Titan has an Achilles heel. Some of them won't die unless they're attacked by at least three players from the same clan and some won't die unless they're attacked by at least three different weapons and some of them won't die unless they're attacked by at least three different races...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 08:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Ooh, ooh. What if every Titan has an Achilles heel. Some of them won't die unless they're attacked by at least three players from the same clan and some won't die unless they're attacked by at least three different weapons and some of them won't die unless they're attacked by at least three different races...

Ha! I love this! It might be hard to program... but it would mean that no matter how many Titans came out of the sea, they would never become routine! There would always be that unpredictability -- we'd always have to figure out, what will it take to kill this one?

Profile Email
Tyr
 Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I really love this idea. And the idea of Titans overall. And the ability to check the status of an invasion.

I don't know if it would be any more feasible to code, but what about targets? Except instead of being optional, you have to destroy all of them to take it down?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply