Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Thread for discussing Titans
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It's early days yet, but the system by which Titans are spawned will give us "waves" of Titans once it's gathered some data on how you guys fight them. Every time a Titan falls, the starting hitpoints and spawn probability are adjusted. It'll sort itself out pretty soon.

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rosin (being lazy)

...Titans are awesome as far as I've seen (though I'd love more description on them please, I want to know what they look sound smell feel like to the contestants hacking away at their legs/hide/neck/giant stupid eyeballs) and I'm thinking that it might well make the Onslaught module much more fun. Good job, Dan!

There was this little bit, towards the bottom of the Onslaught thread (currently filed in Ashtu's secret cabinet....)
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=watcher_titan

Thank you.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Instead of just increasing hitpoints on titans to allow them to get closer to outpost i think it would be better to increase the speed. Once someone decide they want to kill a titan they will kill it before it reach an outpost, assuming they have a few days to spare.
There was one heading for kittania last night that were brought down from 3.6m ish hitpoints in like half an hour, it only had time to take one step closer to it's destination.
Sure you can give it ten times more health and it would have gotten to take quite a few more steps, but it would also have been really annoying to kill. So, more speed = more danger, less annoyance.

Another idea that i thought of just now (hence it might be shit and not thought through at all), it would sort of go along with the idea of scout titans (so i suppose it's not entirely my idea). Let there be more different kind of titans, the quick and relatively low health scout (previously mentioned), the normal kind which we've been fighting now and perhaps the matriarch with 10s of milions of health (or maybe 100s?). Natrually being this tough she'd have to be huge, possibly huge enough to be seen all across the island.

It would be nice if she was also actually dangerous, i was fighting one down to 20% stamina before it got me earlier, and that's without healing once, on rank 6. Alright, i had my clan buff and a monster repellant spray. I was still expecting more of a challenge from something that makes the ground shake.

BUT, great fun never the less. I'm already making plans on how to make the ultimate titan killer.
(so keep the spawn rates high, alright?)

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 11:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Three classes of Titans? Or stages of development...

Child (larva?) - equaling scout. Quick, weak.
Juvenile - equaling infantry. Slower, bit stronger.
Adult - equaling tank. Equally slow, much stronger, bit smarter. Accompanied by at least one of the previous.
Matron/Big Mama/Queen - the embodiment of This Is Gonna Suck. Makes the best sperm whale sushi in all the world though.

Profile Email
Azhron
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 02:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

My idea for the swarm around the Titans(I like this, just to make the Titans a bit harder to access and quickly kill):

a slight increase(ten percent) in the likelyhood of monster encounters three squares away
a moderate increase(fifty percent) two squares away
a huge increase(one hundred percent) one square away
no chance of encounter on the square of the Titan, but a chance, like in Onslaught, of being pulled away from the Titan and having to defend yourself
outpost defences would fall at greater speeds accordingly

This would, of course, vary depending on the class of the Titan

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 04:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If we're talking titans being accompanied by swarms of normal beasties, then what about,each titan starts with a swarm of certain size, similar to onslaught. When you are on the same square as the titan, you can choose to fight the beasties instead. Or, you might be forced to as they come and attack you. The probability that you're forced to depends on the number of beasties left, and the number of players on the square. At the end of each beastie fight, or each round of Titan fighting, we get to see who's there, and get the latest update on how the titan itself is fairing.

This would have the effect that us small players would have an input, we go running in trying to clear the way through the beasties so that the big players can reach the titan itself. At the moment, Alexander goes to join the fray, because he would want to help out like that. He gets there and sees people like Tyr do as much damage in each round as he (Alexander) does all day, and he thinks, "What good am I doing here? I'm barely tickling it." Don't get me wrong, I really don't object to people being a lot stronger than I am, I know that that's because they've w**ked* hard to get that way, and they deserve it. Good on them. They're enjoying the fruit of their labours. But I don't see much point in getting stuck in myself.

If I knew that being there and keeping down beastie numbers was of active use to Tyr, then I'd valiantly carry on and run to the defence, and get a sense of being part of the defence. So there's a role for both big and small players. The big boys and girls are the great heros, and us smaller players are the cannon fodder infantry which cover their arses. Everyones involved, and you don't have to penalise the stronger players simply for being stronger.

I haven't managed to fight a titan while gargleblasted up yet. The one time that I've tried, it was somewhere round the New Pitt area, I got failboated, chronosphered into IC as you do. So I thought that I'd go for it. Had my blast, went piling off, got there just in time to be informed that the titan had been done for, by Derander, I think it was. Oh. I couldn't find any others, that seems to have been the last of that particular round. Most annoying.

* Yes, it's that word that we're all warned against. Well you can have a good chuckle at me, but I can't really think of a better way of putting it. "They've put the effort in" gets round the letter of the rule, but hardly the spirit, it's just a mealy mouthed way of saying "They've w**ked".

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Hairy+Mary "They've put the effort in" gets round the letter of the rule, but hardly the spirit, it's just a mealy mouthed way of saying "They've w**ked".

So, who's going to be the first to point it out? Mr. Green

Back to the subject at, um, hand... Titans have really shown just how unbalanced this game is, how enormous the gap is between the high- and low-damage-wielding players, and hopefully in S3 we'll be able to do something about that. I've lowered the Gargleblaster and Plasma Gun effects, removed the one-shot option from Improbability Bombs - what are high-damage players doing to get such high damage? We need to close this gap a little bit, or multiplayer battles as a concept might not be so hot.

EDIT: I'm reminded of the time when some extra words got added to the Bad Word List, and somebody playing a KittyMorph said something like "[player] shakes her cute lil' kitty-butt." With "butt" censored, this turned into "['player] shakes her cute lil' kitty-****," which on an Island unaccustomed to softer words being filtered, sounded about a million times filthier than it actually was. Razz

Profile Email Website
Derander
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 07:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I must say, I worried a bit about that too.

I love finally having an outlet for all those oodles of damage, the team aspect and the unbelieving/admiring distractions afterwards... but I don't know if I'd like it that much if the positions were reversed.
Which is why I stopped going after titans fanatically. Don't want to end up having to, because nobody else feels it's worth their time. Kinda. Sorta. Also had other things to do. Wink

Another point, pretty sure one gets payed twice if the killing blow is shared. Not that big a deal, perhaps, but it is abusable. Not that there is much difference between 500k or 900k in the bank, you're going to be able to wreck economies anyway. My apologies for the price increase on Energy drinks. :p

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 01:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Hairy+Mary "They've put the effort in" gets round the letter of the rule, but hardly the spirit, it's just a mealy mouthed way of saying "They've w**ked".

Um, yes. I wasn't entirely unaware that that was open to misinterpretation. In fact it's not so much easy to misread, as hard to read 'correctly'. I was thinking of clarifying matters by saying that I was refering to expending ones energy, they've met the pope and given him a good bashing, or you've run into flying helper monkeys and given them a sound spanking. Then I thought about pointing out that the missing two letters formed a natural English word. Then I gave up. Confused

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Took me a while, but in my defense, I'm not British. Cool

When I was fighting alongside Ochris on one of the titans, I was wondering how he was getting 10s of thousands each round and I was doing only 1000 on a perfectly timed 10-rounds press with my ripostes from a Force Generator as a joker. It's crazy how different the games we players are playing from each other with these stats.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Minor suggestion. When you get the distraction afterwards, "The titan has been defeated. The killing blow was delivered by (whoever)" Would it be possible to add "They were assisted by (list of all players who took part)"?

Apart from the fact that you don't always know this if you arrived early and got failboated before someone else arrived, there's also the point that when you're in the thick of it, you concentrate on hacking into the titan, you don't take a leisurely look round to see who else is there beyond a quick look for an idea of numbers. Alexander wouldn't in the middle of it, and so I don't. When I play, I'm 'being' Alexander, and I respond very much as he does.

The distraction afterwards has a rather different feel to it. The monster's been defeated and we're all sitting round slapping each other on the back and congratulating each other on a job well done.

I don't know, it just feels like a bit of recognition for having tried.

Edit: It won't let me put in square brackets for some reason, it wouldn't output anything after the first (now round) bracket. What's happening here?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Edit: It won't let me put in square brackets for some reason, it wouldn't output anything after the first (now round) bracket. What's happening here?

Square brackets are reserved for Forum Code...like {i} for Italics. (braces used instead, to illustrate the point)
It's like not being able to use < > in HTML to surround something, since that's how HTML tags are indicated. You were trying to use a Forum Code of "whoever", which doesn't exist.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like to point out one thing, with regards to Plasma guns and Gargleblasters

I have the pl gun, and on the last titan I gargled twice, at a cost to me of 24k req. After all that, I only got a reward of 28k req, and amount I'd have earned in interest easily, had I left the req in the bank instead.
I think it's more likely that the heavy hitters are those (Like a certain Carpenter we all know and tolerate) ar those who have a ridiulous amount of DKs under their belts, and the Atk and Def to prove it...

My two pennies worth.

Profile Email
Kes
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 08:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Titans! Brilliant fun, a great team effort*, and a decent challenge to sink your teeth into if there's little else to be done. I'm not too sure about the suggested idea of monster swarms surrounding them, and, to be frank, I don't really mind - they seem fine as they are, but I'd be content with whatever the Caveman chooses to throw at us next.

Quote by: Derander

Another point, pretty sure one gets payed twice if the killing blow is shared. Not that big a deal, perhaps, but it is abusable. Not that there is much difference between 500k or 900k in the bank, you're going to be able to wreck economies anyway.

Oh, blimey... Paid three times, in my experience. Of course I noticed it at the time, but it was immediately discounted in my mind as either an insignificant bug or a lucky coincidence. It's a little difficult to do anything about it now, as the nintey-thousand odd has been spent on a quick DK and several hat sizes. Considering how distorted the morals on the Island are anyway, no-one's going to be blamed for this, right?

*No, really. I haven't felt this connected to the other contestants since the Invasions were new, and there were acts of heroism left right and centre as people prepared for the end. A good thing, in my opinion, as it's too easy to forget just how much people would have to rely on each other in a real-life II situation.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I wonder if the multiple messages are happening when people get failboated, then come charging back into the fight for more?

Other people have commented on the disparity in damage done, which can be somewhat discouraging when you've been going around thinking of yourself as, you know, a pretty good fighter, all in all... say, able to handle a rank 6 with no sweat, and a rank seven once in a while when you want a challenge... and then you see someone else doing ten times your damage.

And the rewards are pretty skewed, too... in my last Titan fight, when I happened to be low level and trying a rank 7, I didn't make back the req I spent. I simply can't afford to go after another Titan now; for me, at this point, it's an expense, not a money-maker, and I need the cash to equip myself or I'll never finish this dk. If it was just me I'd shrug and wait for better times, but I suspect I'm far from alone in this. Once the initial excitement and novelty is gone, there will have to be a solid game advantage to fighting them, or participation will tail off.

You can't even out that kind of disparity in the normal way of combat, no matter how you jigger it. You wouldn't want to nerf characters who really have earned the right to be that deadly. And group combat is a good thing, everybody loves it. We all want to make this work. Perhaps it's time to take a leaf out of an old book...

Critical hit tables give less powerful characters the hope that they just might get lucky and get in a major blow. I wouldn't suggest this in normal combat, which is pretty well balanced as it is (or at any rate, we're all used to it), but against Titans, I think this would help make the fight rewarding for people other than a handful of top players on the Island.

There are many versions of such tables, easily found by googling. The basic principle is, there's a small chance (say, 1 in 400) in every round of getting a critical hit. When this happens, there's a table of results that may include double, triple, or ten times* the damage (yes, even after the ULTRA MEGA Power Moves!), a variable debuff to the Titan's atk or def, and -- very rarely! -- instant death.

I know, I know... the Titans have been dying too fast, and here I am suggesting a way to make them die even faster? But, the thing is... Titans can be made arbitrarily tough. The tricky part is to make them tough without making the fight unrewarding for a majority of the characters on the Island.
--
* Edit: Okay, not a damage multiplier! I didn't think that one through. To be balancing, it would have to be an absolute +x point bonus to damage. Which would make it a trivial percentage increase for powerful characters, but a Hey, WOW! Lookit what I DID! for even a mid-level character.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, May 13 2010 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I wonder if the multiple messages are happening when people get failboated, then come charging back into the fight for more?

Nope, it's not that. I failboated and came back, and I got two messages twice (so four altogether.) I don't know if I got the right amount of req. I wasn't watching closely enough.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Friday, May 14 2010 @ 07:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The double message is when two people get the killing blow (somehow?)
I think it's an issue with the Titan's health not being updated at the same time everywhere (since it'll only update at page load) so if more than one person have the titan within "Kill" range, more than one person can get the killing blow. If you look at the doubled distractions, you'll see a different person with the killing blow on each.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Friday, May 14 2010 @ 04:27 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: tehdave

The double message is when two people get the killing blow (somehow?)
I think it's an issue with the Titan's health not being updated at the same time everywhere (since it'll only update at page load) so if more than one person have the titan within "Kill" range, more than one person can get the killing blow. If you look at the doubled distractions, you'll see a different person with the killing blow on each.

This is what I've observed multiple times.

However, I'm generally very aware of my bank balance, and I'm pretty sure that I've never received double payment - I get the multiple messages, but only get paid once. Could be wrong, but some of the amounts have been very big (80k+) and I'd spot that discrepancy.

Profile Email
Kash
 Friday, May 14 2010 @ 10:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I can confirm that it only pays once even for shared kills.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Guessed
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 06:44 PM UTC  

Hope this is the correct place for this note; apologies if it should go to bug reports ...

On my recent and first encounter with a titan I judiciously applied a woomph grenade. All well and good. Then when it came time to retreat I successfully ran away, but noticed that the woomph was still listed under buffs. Out of curiosity I re-engaged the titan and sure enough it was still effective.

Now that may be in the nature of the buff with titans, but ... after running away a second time I encountered a 'normal' jungle beast, and the woomph buff operated as normal ... lasted for the fight then vanished.

Just ... you know, figured some one might need to look at that.

Content generated in: 1.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply