Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Thread for discussing Titans
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Correction: That bit about Titans not even repaying the cost to fight them? Only holds true if you're fighting in a way that's a challenge for you -- less powerful equipment, a higher rank than is quite comfortable, that sort of thing.

Profile Email
Azhron
 Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 07:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Guessed

Hope this is the correct place for this note; apologies if it should go to bug reports ...

On my recent and first encounter with a titan I judiciously applied a woomph grenade. All well and good. Then when it came time to retreat I successfully ran away, but noticed that the woomph was still listed under buffs. Out of curiosity I re-engaged the titan and sure enough it was still effective.

Now that may be in the nature of the buff with titans, but ... after running away a second time I encountered a 'normal' jungle beast, and the woomph buff operated as normal ... lasted for the fight then vanished.

Just ... you know, figured some one might need to look at that.

I also encountered this, and would like to add that while the perpetual WHOOMPH buff was still active, I used a ZAP grenade, and it had no effect.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 04:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Today, I spent 7 chronospheres on fighting a titan. The last time I had fought a titan, I was a level 14 joker with a force generator and an 80-turn clan aura. This time, I was a level 9 zombie with a katana, and 18 points of defense from my DK points (no armor on). I spent those 7 chronospheres and req on Pleasantville steaks to do loads of fighting.

The 20,000+ req I made from that was well worth the fighting I did for my level. Buys me my force generator for this DK. Big Grin So while last time I was fighting titans, I was of the opinion that the rewards weren't worth it, this time, I feel they were. That means there's probably a big scaling issue between people with 100+ DKs under their belt and those of us with under 20.

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 09:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hope this is the correct place for this note; apologies if it should go to bug reports ...

On my recent and first encounter with a titan I judiciously applied a woomph grenade. All well and good. Then when it came time to retreat I successfully ran away, but noticed that the woomph was still listed under buffs. Out of curiosity I re-engaged the titan and sure enough it was still effective.

Now that may be in the nature of the buff with titans, but ... after running away a second time I encountered a 'normal' jungle beast, and the woomph buff operated as normal ... lasted for the fight then vanished.

You killed the jungle creature, though. You didn't kill the titan. It stands to reason that it's still on fire.

Also, my personal opinion: titans are absurdly lucrative. They are like walking banks. I am not one of those "powerful" players - I'm not even on the first page of top DKers. I can't speak for really low-DK players, but anyone midrange (ie, over 10) should be able to do enough damage to get some decent cash. If you aren't... change your tactics?
I say absurdly lucrative, but really, I wouldn't be fighting them at all if they weren't.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 02:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm with Ada. On rank-rp (aka rank 1, aka rank fuck-the-drive-i'm-not-going-to-make-an-effort) I could hit the bugger just fine with my character-themed equipment of canvas overalls and a screwdriver. Also, Zap grenades not working makes sense, you're not getting them even -close- to its eyes. I also noticed that a can of monster repellant wears off rather rapidly on them.

I only upgraded to a chansaw and some rather basic servo armour to compensate for the "bad day" health issue, which was actually doing more damage than the titans were. Joker cards+umptheen bazillion fighting rounds=unlimited health+lotse lotsa lotsa req. Mind you, i did about 80-100 points of amage per round. The only reason i even noticed its health going down was because i just kept hitting the (1)0 rounds button.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
tehdave
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

I only upgraded to a chansaw and some rather basic servo armour to compensate for the "bad day" health issue, which was actually doing more damage than the titans were. Joker cards+umptheen bazillion fighting rounds=unlimited health+lotse lotsa lotsa req. Mind you, i did about 80-100 points of amage per round. The only reason i even noticed its health going down was because i just kept hitting the (1)0 rounds button.

Yeah...when I started my aborted Bastard Rank Run, I could spend a full chrono fighting the Titans and get a couple thousand req from diamond-suits ALONE (This was before entering the Jungle, mind...after you set it to Bastard Rank, run AWAY from those fuckers...they scale to your rank, obviously)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 08:05 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Question about titans and joker bonuses: do the defense/offense bonuses work while fighting titans?

I'm asking because there's no visible change to attack/defense bonus in the stats part of the display and I don't seem to be hitting any harder; I've gotten up to 8 or 9 clubs and my displayed attack remains constant and I don't seem to be doing more damage (although I do get the text messages for clubs and spades in the battle spam).

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 08:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

You killed the jungle creature, though. You didn't kill the titan. It stands to reason that it's still on fire.

Maybe I misread Guessed, but I interpreted that to mean that the whoomph bomb thrown at the titan came into effect against the other creature, rather than a seperate bomb worked as advertised against it.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Guessed
 Monday, May 17 2010 @ 03:42 AM UTC  

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Ada

Maybe I misread Guessed, but I interpreted that to mean that the whoomph bomb thrown at the titan came into effect against the other creature, rather than a separate bomb worked as advertised against it.

Correct, Hairy Mary.

I lobbed only the one grenade, (at the Titan) which operated in two encounters. Grenade effects don't usually follow on to subsequent encounters, regardless of the outcome of the encounter in which they are deployed, including running away.

Regards

Mr Geppetto
 Wednesday, May 19 2010 @ 02:03 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

If there is a strategy to make Titan encounters lucrative, I don't seem to be able to figure it out. Just put two Gargleblasters (two good Joker days, too), a bunch of grenades of all types and quite a few Devastator rounds in to one, dealing well over 20K of damage all in all. The second day I managed to bring it down (yey!). And all I got was this lousy T-shirt...erm, I mean 3.400Rq+1000Rq reward for killing the bugger. 2x3000Rq for the blasters, plus the steaks, plus the bombs...erm...Rq sink? Besides. I only got one distraction with the above sum. Should have been two, since there were two separate battle rounds, on two separate days, maybe? (pretty sure it was the same Titan, not two different ones). My character will, of course, continue to go after them, she'd do that, but I just wonder how often that is affordable. And that might mean no Cat-launcher for her, this round..sniff. Well, I guess I'll just keep trying, maybe it's also because she's only on her 23rd DK.

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, May 19 2010 @ 02:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mr+Geppetto

If there is a strategy to make Titan encounters lucrative, I don't seem to be able to figure it out. Just put two Gargleblasters (two good Joker days, too), a bunch of grenades of all types and quite a few Devastator rounds in to one, dealing well over 20K of damage all in all. The second day I managed to bring it down (yey!). And all I got was this lousy T-shirt...erm, I mean 3.400Rq+1000Rq reward for killing the bugger. 2x3000Rq for the blasters, plus the steaks, plus the bombs...erm...Rq sink? Besides. I only got one distraction with the above sum. Should have been two, since there were two separate battle rounds, on two separate days, maybe? (pretty sure it was the same Titan, not two different ones). My character will, of course, continue to go after them, she'd do that, but I just wonder how often that is affordable. And that might mean no Cat-launcher for her, this round..sniff. Well, I guess I'll just keep trying, maybe it's also because she's only on her 23rd DK.

Strategy: deal more than 20k damage. Lots more. I don't advise using grenades (except whoomph). Plasma gun helps lots.
It is not your DK level that is holding you back; just confirmed with someone with 10 fewer DKs that they earned a good five times more doing the two-gargleblaster thing.

Profile Email
SinkOrSwim
 Wednesday, May 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I threw a grenade at one and got 2req. That didn't even pay for the grenade!

On a less serious note: They're a fighty thing. I don't really play with the fighty things. I have had a go at about 3 Titans, and probably won't do it again. I've got about 3 or 4 DKs and am definitely Rank-RP, as someone else put it. You can't avoid fighting entirely (even if you avoid the Jungle, those pesky monsters still keep a-sneaking up on you) but all the fighty things can* get in the way of the interesting story-telling-y things. Better since Onslaught got dialled down, and maybe a Titan will never get as far as breaking into a town, but still...

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the fighty things quite boring. Sorry to all the people who've spent loads of time programming all this and making it awesome (for it is awesome, despite what a grumpy wolf might think), but I'm a builder, not a fighter. Building a dwelling was cool because it gives me something. Killing things, to me, doesn't, whether that's a 200 metre high barnacle-clad nightmare or a sneaky lion in a lion suit. Cash I can garner slowly from the few fights I do pick, or from selling crate items. Cigs I can buy with donator points when I need them for tools etc. As a human, I get by on ration packs and the odd burger. What need is there for me to fight?

So, anyway, back to Titans. Can we have an option to sit it down, have a cup of tea with it, and ask what it actually wants? Has anyone taken their opinions in consideration? Maybe all they want is a hug. I'm not sure I have arms long enough to provide, but where there's a GERM, there's a way...

*NB - 'CAN', not 'DOES'.

... Grace is just the measure of a fall ...

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, May 19 2010 @ 03:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: SinkOrSwim

I threw a grenade at one and got 2req. That didn't even pay for the grenade!

On a less serious note: They're a fighty thing. I don't really play with the fighty things. I have had a go at about 3 Titans, and probably won't do it again. I've got about 3 or 4 DKs and am definitely Rank-RP, as someone else put it. You can't avoid fighting entirely (even if you avoid the Jungle, those pesky monsters still keep a-sneaking up on you) but all the fighty things can* get in the way of the interesting story-telling-y things. Better since Onslaught got dialled down, and maybe a Titan will never get as far as breaking into a town, but still...

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the fighty things quite boring. Sorry to all the people who've spent loads of time programming all this and making it awesome (for it is awesome, despite what a grumpy wolf might think), but I'm a builder, not a fighter. Building a dwelling was cool because it gives me something. Killing things, to me, doesn't, whether that's a 200 metre high barnacle-clad nightmare or a sneaky lion in a lion suit. Cash I can garner slowly from the few fights I do pick, or from selling crate items. Cigs I can buy with donator points when I need them for tools etc. As a human, I get by on ration packs and the odd burger. What need is there for me to fight?

I see what you're saying about the fighty versus buildy thing. However, I like the fighting plenty, because I feel like I get something out of it too:
HUEG MUSCELS RAWR HULK SMASH

The ability to kill things better is sufficient reward for me to kill things. I grind the skills up for the same reason, I enjoy "maxing out" a character's capabilities.

Profile Email
Derander
 Thursday, May 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Couple of things.

Still pretty sure you get payed twice. I round of my bank account to a 1000 and last time I got the double message the payout was 6,878 with xxxx756 in my account. Thingie. Bit too much of a coincidence, that.

Unless there's a titan right next to the outpost, I promise to never ever use a Gargleblaster on a titan again.
Wish I could upload a screenshot, but 3 titans in 10 minutes is just a bit too much. Over a million damage in one round too.
I hope that doesn't weigh in too heavily in the gathered data, because it's not happening again. What a rush, though...
Yeah, I wanted to brag a bit. Sorry.

Also wanted to say that I like the current amount of titans... enough at the edges to have something to do if you want to, not too many to get overwhelming or pressing.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 07:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I dislike the amount of titans right now. If they were a rarer occurrence with a higher amount of health, I think they'd be more epic. I'd like it to be way more epic, so that when one finally is detected, it's like "OH SHIT OH SHIT EVERYONE GO TO X,Y AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, IT'S GOT 252 BILLION HEALTH LEFT AND IT'S NEARING IMP CENTRAL!" And maybe we'd get just one titan every... two weeks? Week? (But it would have enough health to last a couple days even from those Badass-Title people.)

I don't know. I like fighting titans when it feels epic, but when it's just a load of them overwhelming, like the Onslaught, it starts becoming a chore.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 08:24 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I would have to disagree. I like the tons of titans roaming around now, because I wanna see one of the towns get smashed to bits. Maybe it's just me, but I think it'd be fun.

Profile Email
Mister Rawr
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 09:23 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well, never mind my question. Can't navigate. Silly me.

~The Rawrrator

Profile Email
Ada
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I dislike the amount of titans right now. If they were a rarer occurrence with a higher amount of health, I think they'd be more epic. I'd like it to be way more epic, so that when one finally is detected, it's like "OH SHIT OH SHIT EVERYONE GO TO X,Y AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, IT'S GOT 252 BILLION HEALTH LEFT AND IT'S NEARING IMP CENTRAL!" And maybe we'd get just one titan every... two weeks? Week? (But it would have enough health to last a couple days even from those Badass-Title people.)

I don't know. I like fighting titans when it feels epic, but when it's just a load of them overwhelming, like the Onslaught, it starts becoming a chore.

Or, on the other hand of the spectrum, people might give up and not bother if it looked even more impossible to take down than they already do.
If it has enough health to survive a couple of days of being whaled on my Badass-Title people, I know I for one wouldn't bother. Fighting titans is not interesting enough for me to want to attack a single one for days.

Profile Email
Kash
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Not to mention that low-DK characters that did get involved could spend tens of thousands of req on gear and Gargleblasters and receive in return tens of req. Granted, that's easily fixed by upping the payout again, but then we still have the problem of there only being one Titan somewhere on the map and anyone who is on the wrong end of the map or doesn't have three dozen gamedays to throw at it is going to be kind of left out. Even if a 20B hp Titan that takes three days to kill pays out 10M req, my schedule would only allow me to earn a few thousand req from it at most, and to earn that much would cost me much more than the payback.

At the moment I still consider the Titans pretty titanic, since a player of my caliber can still only do small amounts of damage to them. So while I agree that as a story feature they would be better as much larger, sparser opponents... as a game feature they can't be.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 07:16 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Last night I found out by accident one strategy for earning a lot from a Titan.

You need to be able to sustain combat for a long, long time, which means you can't be relying on anything with limited rounds. A Plasma Gun's 100 rounds may be plenty for an average day in the jungle, but it gets used up pretty fast against a Titan and recharging it can be expensive. You need to be able to whale away on the thing without dying, and the fight has to be costing you nothing but stamina.

So there I was, just off a DK. I had collected my quest prize and kitted out as usual, and was on my way to PV to start looking for the Demonic Shield of Virtue when I noticed there were Titans all over the map and the one heading for Pleasantville had gotten rather close. "Hm," I thought. "That won't do. Let me take a few whacks, at least."

Ten chronospheres and over three million hit points later (with significant help from Marly in the later stages), I'd scored my first killing blow on a Titan. It yielded about 83k in direct deposit.

Then I went into the Jungle and cheerfully told the Watcher, "Er, sorry. In all the excitement I 'forgot' to tell you I'm doing a rank 6 this time." (She curled her lip at me. I was obviously not sincere about being sorry.)

The other thing I learned is that Jokers get surprisingly rich in long sustained fights.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.60 seconds
New Topic Post Reply