Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Cigs - what to do with them all?
 |  Printable Version
zamboni
 Sunday, May 09 2010 @ 10:28 PM UTC (Read 8705 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Those of us who do a lot of hunting eventually end up with a plethora of ciggies. Once you've tattooed and blinged up, and purchased the finest luggage available, there's really not much to do with ciggies.

So, I'm opening up a thread for ideas for new items/services to purchase with ciggies.

I'll even get the smoke rolling:

1) longer leased building gear. Sick and tired of heading back to IC at the end of each building day? Pay extra for a longer lease on your equipment!

1 cig = 1 day
3 cigs = 2 days
6 cigs = 3 days
10 cigs = 4 days
15 cigs = 5 days

and if you're feeling crazy:

100 cigs = purchase price (building gear survives through DKs).

2) handy-mercs. You can hire mercs to heal you and fight beside you, why not independent contractors?

Stonemasons, carpenters and decorators have heard about the building boom on the Island and have set up shop next store to Suzie.

Handy-mercs don't participate in combat (otherwise they'd be useless, since they'd always die), but they give a building bonus (i.e. stamina reduction). Mercs charge based on how much of a bonus they add.

3) New luggage item: equipment box. Holds only carpentry, masonry and decorating kits (3 sizes: 25, 45, 60)

4) New luggage item: saddlebags. Must have a mount to use them. Saddlebags have both quick access and slow access pouches.

5) Upgrades to current luggage items.

6) Storage lockers for houses.

Now, this one is tricky, because you don't want players to circumvent the "start-over" rules for new DKs. Simplest way around this problem is to have the storage locker get cleared out every time a player kills the drive.

Profile Email
Kash
 Sunday, May 09 2010 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*walks in playing Vivaldi horribly*

What? I've never played violin before, OK? And this one is so tiny...

All joking aside (thanks for the inspiration, Sessine!) I must say I like the first two of those ideas very much, surplus cigs or no. So far the only thing I've found more annoying than trekking all the way across the island and back to work on the dugout is running into a monster every click between IC and a Titan, wasting my GargleBlaster rounds...

As far as "OMG too many cigs" solutions go, though, the rest of the ideas are only really temporary fixes... Sure, you'll spend a thousand more cigs or so on saddlebags, equipment cases and purchasing toolkits... and then you're out of things to spend cigs on again, and they start building up.

That being said... I like all those ideas too.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 11:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"100 cigs = purchase price (building gear survives through DKs)."

Wait... you mean we could have built Dunbernarding for only 400 ciggies total?

Whoa.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Skidge
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 02:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah, actually, the 100 cigs for permanent building gear really takes some of the shiny off of the sheer wonderful commitment it takes to build something like Dubernarding. I think the hiking to IC part is annoying too, don't get me wrong, but man. If someone is willing to do it to build something worthwhile and gigantic and lovely, I think they deserve that oompleslinger. The I-Am-Obsessed-Lookit-What-I-Went-Through-To-Do-This Oompleslinger. MY FAVORITE OOMPLESLINGER.

Dwellings aren't supposed to be easy, is the thing. They're supposed to be a thing that you work to achieve. Besides, making it easier at this juncture would really annoy the people who have been going insane to build theirs. Like Reverb said, only 400 cigs to build Dubernarding? Man, I can't even GUESS how many cigs have been sunk into it so far. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and LOTS more than 400. I don't think we can look at the work that went into something like that, then say, oh! Well, let's make it easier then, so I, too, can have something like Dubernarding! (not that it could be duplicated, mind you. It could never. Ever. Be duplicated. Do not take that as a challenge, GERM.)

Saddlebags, now. Saddlebags and lockers have potential, there's been talk of lockers and the like about the forum before. I'd go hunting for the thread, but I'm a lazy girl.

There has been talk of furniture, too, hasn't there?

I will be back. I'm going to go think up other ways to kill cigs.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 02:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

"100 cigs = purchase price (building gear survives through DKs)."

Wait... you mean we could have built Dunbernarding for only 400 ciggies total?

Whoa.

You're assuming there that every last bit of lumberjacking and carpentry was done by just one person, every last bit of stone cutting and masonry was done by just one person, and every last bit of decorating was done by just one person. I've got no idea how the work load was distributed on the bingo hall, but I suspect that it was a bit more spread out than that.

Having said that, I do agree with Reverb and Skidge, permanent kits, even for 100 cigs, is a bit strong. Even if you consider the space they take up in your backpack permanently.

Handy mercs are interesting, you'd have to hire them by the day I would say, to stop them being too strong.

Equipment boxes for your mount, so the kits don't take up space in your backpack would be rather useful, but not so much so that they'd be overpowerful, you'd essentially be able to fit one (and a bit) more stone or wood in your backpack before overloading.

Saddlebags would have rather more serious consequences for dwelling construction, and I think are a bit of a dangerous idea.

What else? Storage lockers in your dwellings? So for use only by the owner? That means that some people would suddenly find a significant game use for having a dwelling, and we'd be in danger of suddenly having dwellings springing up for this purpose alone, all looking identical and all being rather boring.

If the owner could let other people use lockers, then there would have to be some mechanism to make sure that any one item could only be taken out by the person who put it in, with owners losing some control over an aspect of their dwellings. Not impossible, but some care would have to be taken.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 06:01 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

What else? Storage lockers in your dwellings? So for use only by the owner? That means that some people would suddenly find a significant game use for having a dwelling, and we'd be in danger of suddenly having dwellings springing up for this purpose alone, all looking identical and all being rather boring.

One word: Tents.

Lovely lovely Tents....

That's a good place, I think, to put any owner-only game-use features like storage lockers. Tents, as I understand them, will also have ongoing maintenance costs. (Well, technically, I guess they'll need feeding.) So that'll be a use for cigs.

The whole subject of cigs is difficult, because way more players are scrabbling for cigs, than have too many. New players, people like you who prefer to roleplay than game, those who are still struggling to add to their clan's buffs... If there's a cool new feature with an ongoing cig cost, players who are perennially short of cigs are going to feel left out, or at the very least, conflicted over what to do with the cigs they do get.

But, on the other hand, there do need to be some carrots dangled for advanced game-players... some rewards that can only ever be attained after long striving.

Game balance is hard. Confused

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you're concerned with having a use for ciggies, then a permanent-duration purchase of any sort is not a long-term fix. It only puts off for a bit longer the period of "oh wait I no longer have things to do with these".

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 06:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bakemaster

If you're concerned with having a use for ciggies, then a permanent-duration purchase of any sort is not a long-term fix. It only puts off for a bit longer the period of "oh wait I no longer have things to do with these".

This is the strongest point. The issue of the thread is that there needs to be a Cigarette Sink. As such, a cig-sink should not be a permanent purchase but a routine purchase to continue using them.

ALSO: If you have way too many cigarettes, try smoking one or two per day for the fighting buzz.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 07:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

100 cigs = purchase price

how about if it didn't last through DKs? If you're more into roleplaying, which is the main purpose of dwellings anyway, then you won't be going through DKs, so it can be kept long enough to build a house. Those who are more into game play won't (and are probably earning more cigs anyway) have to keep on buying it at the start of each DK. I always set myself up so that at the start of a DK I go to IC and claim my reward from Dan so I have more starting money. If kits that were kept for the DK were also avalible then that would be just one more thing to do while I was there.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, May 10 2010 @ 07:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What about something along the lines of 'hats', but for cigs, not req? Something correspondingly more impressive.

Monuments. Each outpost has an area dedicated to monuments. If you donate 10 cigs to the town council, then you get your name carved on a stone there. 20 cigs and you get a park bench with your name on a plate on it. 30 cigs, a tree with a little sign saying it was planted in your honour. 40 cigs a round blue plate saying "[Player name] once tied his/her shoelace here or something. 50 cigs your name goes on a list of people who helped to build the outposts fine town hall. 100 cigs, a road named after you in the suburbs. 500 cigs, the town hall is named after you (and simultaneously after anyone else who's at this level of cig donation) 1000 cigs, your face carved out of a local hill.

As I say, these would all be in a local park where anyone could visit, and it would show a list of all the monuments in decreasing order of contributions. Might need some sort of incentive for people to want to visit this place, I don't know, and I can't imagine what.

OK, this is still permanent duration, but 8000 cigs (8 outposts) is still a high target to aim for is it not? What sort of amounts do people have sitting around without a use for? If this is too low, then multiply the cigs needed by 5. Or have even higher levels. Or you can just keep going to get your name to the top of the list. Or once you've had your face carved out of a hill in every outpost you can start up the same chain in the common grounds, with costs x10. That's 18000 cigs. If you get up to those heights, then you actually get your name mentioned in the description somehow, similar to the stocks or the most recent drive kill in IC. Is that a high enough amount of cigs?

Just an idea.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 03:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What about something along the lines of 'hats', but for cigs, not req? Something correspondingly more impressive.

Monuments. Each outpost has an area dedicated to monuments. If you donate 10 cigs to the town council, then you get your name carved on a stone there. 20 cigs and you get a park bench with your name on a plate on it. 30 cigs, a tree with a little sign saying it was planted in your honour. 40 cigs a round blue plate saying "[Player name] once tied his/her shoelace here or something. 50 cigs your name goes on a list of people who helped to build the outposts fine town hall. 100 cigs, a road named after you in the suburbs. 500 cigs, the town hall is named after you (and simultaneously after anyone else who's at this level of cig donation) 1000 cigs, your face carved out of a local hill.

As I say, these would all be in a local park where anyone could visit, and it would show a list of all the monuments in decreasing order of contributions. Might need some sort of incentive for people to want to visit this place, I don't know, and I can't imagine what.

OK, this is still permanent duration, but 8000 cigs (8 outposts) is still a high target to aim for is it not? What sort of amounts do people have sitting around without a use for? If this is too low, then multiply the cigs needed by 5. Or have even higher levels. Or you can just keep going to get your name to the top of the list. Or once you've had your face carved out of a hill in every outpost you can start up the same chain in the common grounds, with costs x10. That's 18000 cigs. If you get up to those heights, then you actually get your name mentioned in the description somehow, similar to the stocks or the most recent drive kill in IC. Is that a high enough amount of cigs?

Just an idea.

Honestly, I would consider multiplying all those cig amounts by 10, the way some people talk about high cig incomes. Personally, I plan on chainsmoking when I reach that level.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 04:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Honestly, I would consider multiplying all those cig amounts by 10, the way some people talk about high cig incomes. Personally, I plan on chainsmoking when I reach that level.

Really? Zamboni, what sort of numbers are we talking about here? How long do you think it would take you to get 18000 cigs together?

Profile Email
Derander
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 07:02 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Roughly 20 weeks should do it, going by personal experience.

But I don't really see a problem with the system as it is. I stopped speedrunning with 1200 ciggies in the bank and am down to 900 in a week due to titans suddenly appearing everywhere and an extensive building project. And using them for that felt way more rewarding than buying yet another expensive piece of jewelry.

But if you're really piling up the ciggs beyond that, why not search for some fun/worthy/struggling/whatever little clan, join them and put heaps in their bank? That'll do more for your fame than a little statue somewhere... is what I was planning to do.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 03:53 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Derander

Roughly 20 weeks should do it, going by personal experience.

But I don't really see a problem with the system as it is. I stopped speedrunning with 1200 ciggies in the bank and am down to 900 in a week due to titans suddenly appearing everywhere and an extensive building project. And using them for that felt way more rewarding than buying yet another expensive piece of jewelry.

But if you're really piling up the ciggs beyond that, why not search for some fun/worthy/struggling/whatever little clan, join them and put heaps in their bank? That'll do more for your fame than a little statue somewhere... is what I was planning to do.

Or, for a real challenge... don't just join someone else's clan -- start your own, and discover a whole new world of complexity. Mr. Green

Profile Email
zamboni
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 04:46 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Really? Zamboni, what sort of numbers are we talking about here? How long do you think it would take you to get 18000 cigs together?

I think there are very few people with that many ciggies. I'm at 800 and I'm 12th or so on the list. When I went from 1000 to 700 (finally bought the last piece of jewellery), I think I dropped from 8th to 12th, or something like that.

Super monument prizes might tempt more people to do massive ciggy runs, but that's great - more incentive to do high rank DKs. I'm doing a Bastard Rank at the moment, and it's ciggy rich (although Jungle hunting has a much higher drop rate than travel encounters), but since I really do shout YOU BASTARD every time I think I'm about to level and something bad happens, I haven't been focused on the ciggy count much.

Here's another potential item to purchase: signposts that point to your dwellings. Say 50 cigs to buy (1/2 the price of a claim stake), 10 wood and 2 stone to build, regular decorating costs for the description. There would have to be some rules to prevent sign pollution (i.e. max number of signposts per square).

On the monument note, in-town signposts work too.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 08:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Personally, I was tempted to build a smoking room. A perpetually lit pile of cigarettes, insta-death to anybody who walks past when the wind's in the wrong direction. Of course, standing in the middle of this room would cause a nicotine high, the likes of which have never been seen before, of very short duration. I envision the duration being just long enough to dk and get a fresh, clean body. All the benefits of smoking, none of the downsides.

Erm, sorry, got a bit carried away there. Personally, I'm hoping dwelling functions (ie. what is happening over in Labs) will cost a fair amount, giving those of us already rich a very unfair advantage.

Hairy Mary: I would love a monument in a park somewhere, so long as there was a graffiti option. And pigeons.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It would be nice to be able to build something out of ciggies. Like, say, a Rube-Goldberg machine. Constructed entirely of cigarettes and discolored spittle.

"Your Rube-Goldberg machine has 82 Cogs, 17 Chutes, 20 Whirlies, and 45 Bouncers."

Just as useless as a hat, but with more useless customization.

You know, like, social networking.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Geth
 Friday, May 14 2010 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

There really should be a way to transfer cigs. We can transfer req. We can transfer points. Why not cigs?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Friday, May 14 2010 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Geth

There really should be a way to transfer cigs. We can transfer req. We can transfer points. Why not cigs?

Game breakage.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, May 14 2010 @ 09:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

Quote by: Geth

Game breakage.

I am against cig transfer, but I do say, Donor Points are transferable and usable to purchase cigs, and req transfer is in the game with a severe limit. As it currently stands, the answer "Game breakage" shouldn't be sufficient to properly defeat the idea of Cig Transfer.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply