Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Custom Races
 |  Printable Version
dizzyizzy
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 08:19 PM UTC (Read 5747 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What if Custom races were actually custom in all aspects?

What I'm imagining is you have a list of Buffs/advantages. Each one you pick pops up a list of counters/debuffs with something like "Pick three" or "Pick one". Various Buffs are not available, based on what you picked.

That will take a TON of work to balance, but it could be awesome.

Also, customish race icons. Like a top hat on a ball of yarn, or a battery in the BRAAAINS jar.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 08:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You haven't tried BLOCKED* yet.

Custom race icons might be possible, if they're the right size, I could see possibly a way of getting them - work a similar way to avatars.

*I've heard they were very scary for CMJ at All Hallow's Eve.

Censorship enacted by The Network. Nothing new is coming. Monsters are not getting more intelligent.There will be no new species appearing. Nor any new cities.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 09:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

Censorship enacted by The Network. Nothing new is coming. Monsters are not getting more intelligent.There will be no new species appearing. Nor any new cities.

Don't I recall The Watcher emphatically stating something similar to this? Just before the first Onslaught?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Anon
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 10:20 PM UTC  

What I would personally like to see would be a way to block newbies from becoming a race they hadn't unlocked yet. I don't rather enjoy seeing characters with the race "Joker*" and they haven't even had their 2nd DK yet.

----

* Or "JokerCat", "JokerTwin", "Jokermorph," "Wizard"...

Anonymous: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 10:27 PM UTC  

Quote by: Anon

What I would personally like to see would be a way to block newbies from becoming a race they hadn't unlocked yet. I don't rather enjoy seeing characters with the race "Joker*" and they haven't even had their 2nd DK yet.

----

*clears their throat*
We call those "posers" and laugh our arses off a them whilst sipping tea in modest environments.
Cheers.

Syd Lexic
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 11:18 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Sigh... Poor Syd. I'm mostly an RPer, and not even that much anymore... and in all the time I've been here, poor lil Syd just got his 5th DK. I almost wish I didn't agree with this idea... I'd love to see a joker Syd. Ah well. KBO - Keep Buggering On!

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, November 04 2010 @ 11:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.

.....whilst sipping tea in modest environments.
Cheers.

What's "a modest environment?" One with clothes on?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Anonymous: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.
 Friday, November 05 2010 @ 12:00 AM UTC  

Quote by: Ashtu

Quote by: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.

.....whilst sipping tea in modest environments.
Cheers.

What's "a modest environment?" One with clothes on?

Not necessarily.
You do not require clothing to be modest, friend.

Matthew
 Friday, November 05 2010 @ 04:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think that last one is directed at me... but it was for a Halloween costume! D:

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, November 05 2010 @ 12:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I think that last one is directed at me... but it was for a Halloween costume! D:

I can guarantee you that other people are calling themselves wizards, and they are not in Halloween costumes. Or they have a very loose definition of "Halloween".

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Friday, November 05 2010 @ 04:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The real problem with "wizard" is that it's an occupation, not a race. The race is maiar. Razz

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Kash
 Saturday, November 06 2010 @ 03:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bakemaster

The real problem with "wizard" is that it's an occupation, not a race. The race is maiar. Razz

Was Merlin maiar? I never can remember. Or are you talking about the Harlem Wizards? Or the Washington Wizards? And what about Hogwarts? I thought they were all, ostensibly, human?

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Saturday, November 06 2010 @ 04:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kash

Was Merlin maiar? I never can remember. Or are you talking about the Harlem Wizards? Or the Washington Wizards? And what about Hogwarts? I thought they were all, ostensibly, human?

Or what about Ailrun (cat) wizards? Lots of different races. The T'lan Imass, Tiste, dragon(?)...and also wizards are also known variously as magicians, sorcerers, warlocks, mages, Aes Sedai...

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Saturday, November 06 2010 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Careful, don't go putting ideas in rookies' heads! Balrogs are also Maiar. And we've already got a Rookie Sauron.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Saturday, November 06 2010 @ 07:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Not to mention Saruman..

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Bug
 Sunday, November 07 2010 @ 05:26 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Sorry to spoil your lovely derailment here, but I really like this idea! It seems like there could only be a finite number of "buffs" to choose from, though, unless buying a custom race also meant getting a custom module for it, which could be Really Really Cool but also Really Really Difficult.

Not as difficult if players were willing to code each new race module themselves, of course...

please don't fix me...

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, November 07 2010 @ 06:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bug

Sorry to spoil your lovely derailment here, but I really like this idea! It seems like there could only be a finite number of "buffs" to choose from, though, unless buying a custom race also meant getting a custom module for it, which could be Really Really Cool but also Really Really Difficult.

Not as difficult if players were willing to code each new race module themselves, of course...

It would be impossible to balance with unlimited buffs. There would definitely have to be a finite number.

Profile Email
Anonymous: freeman
 Monday, November 08 2010 @ 07:20 PM UTC  

Idea How about a point based system to balance custom races

Beeps
 Monday, November 08 2010 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The main problem I see with this idea is minmaxing. If you can re-assign your stats every time you change your race, and you can buy an infinite race change, then you could essentially stack all buffs into whatever task you planned to carry out that day, or even that part of that day. Change race to give a travel buff, run to CC404, change race to have a stonecutting buff, get stone, change race to have a travel buff, travel to your house, change race to have a building buff... So forth.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, November 08 2010 @ 09:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

The main problem I see with this idea is minmaxing. If you can re-assign your stats every time you change your race, and you can buy an infinite race change, then you could essentially stack all buffs into whatever task you planned to carry out that day, or even that part of that day. Change race to give a travel buff, run to CC404, change race to have a stonecutting buff, get stone, change race to have a travel buff, travel to your house, change race to have a building buff... So forth.

I think this'd be more of a Per-DK thing...so you set up your custom race, and if you pick "custom", then you're your custom race, can't change until next time you DK... something like that, I think.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.34 seconds
New Topic Post Reply