Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Name Change
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Cheshire+Child
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 09:02 AM UTC (Read 6114 times)  

Okay, for story reasons, I was looking at getting a sex change in the nearish future. The only problem im having with that is that my char has a horribly femme name. No matter how you stretch the old imagination, my name is going to hold me back.

It made me wonder if there'd be a way to implement name changes into the island. Either as a /odge item or through like a hundred cigs in the town hall things (like a person does in real life).

Any thoughts?

Matthew
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 11:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I, too, would really like this. Some of us are also just really tired of the character name we picked. It doesn't help that recent developments in my real life have made my own rather... unfortunate. I won't get into that, though.

100 cigs, or even a not-insignificant (as in above 100) amount of SP seems reasonable for something like that; you wouldn't want people doing it all the time.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 11:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been wondering about this myself--Iriana's unlikely to get a sex change, but in the case she does, "Iriana" doesn't exactly lend itself to masculinity.

Would this affect the way the game logs you in? I can't decide which would be odder, logging in with a character name no longer attached to your character or logging in with a different one whenever you change it.

But I agree with Matthew about not wanting people to be changing names all the time. In fact, I kind of support this being only a one- or two-time option. You don't like your name? Here, we'll let you change it, but you'd better pick well this time because that's all the chances you get. It'd kind of throw people off if the folk they knew were suddenly prancing around under different names all the time.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 01:36 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I have really mixed feelings about this. It's an issue that comes up rather infrequently, usually when a Rookie signs up with some spur of the moment name that they later feel is inappropriate for RP if they find they like roleplaying. It's been addressed by Petitions in the past but because it's more or less a cosmetic thing, a namechange request almost invariably takes lower priority than a bugfix or a badnav or, well, most things. It's also a priv that only CMJ has at the moment, which means Petitions are usually not high on the priority stack -- coding, dev work, living life, going to war with PayPal, etc., usually come before that.

But!

That said, even if we've got a namechange mechanism in place, there's a demonstrated very occasional need for users to switch up their handles -- and often, the people asking are really new to the site. My feeling is that it should remain a rare privilege, something that happens not because you've saved cigarettes or donated a bit of money, but because you've made a polite case to the dev team. Maybe we could have a more codified way of submitting such a case, and yeh, maybe that means a Distract-like input form in one of the Council Offices.

Iriana, yes, it does change your login name.

There's also something to be said for simply changing your title. Playing around with gender is pretty common and roleplayers are tolerant to nontraditionally gendered names. Be mindful that you can't switch sexes back and forth indefinitely if you decide you're happier as you started.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 05:31 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

For really new characters -- that is, Rookies who are still in the first few levels and find that, hey, surprise! this is a place they actually want to stay and play in, but ohmigod, not with that name! -- the right answer is: make another character. Let the other one autodelete for inactivity. To my mind, this is a completely acceptable reason for making an alt.

This is also what I suggest to the few characters who have been muted and are about to be deleted for picking a really, really offensive character name: "If you want to play the game you'll have to go out and come in again. This time, choose your name more wisely."

I would be strongly in favor of another page inserted between the initial Welcome page and the "Yes, I am eighteen or over" page, one that gave some tips on picking names and characters that will fit in well on the Island. As it is, people are forced to pick names blindly; it's not surprising that some end up with names they later regret. On the bright side, though, it's happened so often that nobody even blinks at weird names!

A technical note: changing the display name does not change the login. They are two different columns in the accounts table. You cannot change your login name; however, there have been a very, very few times in the past when CMJ has changed the display name. Oddly enough, the only case that springs to my mind is a long-time veteran with a display-name quite similar to the original poster in this thread. (That same player found out the hard way that there's a limit to the number of times you can make use of Dr. Paprika's services, so obviously someone didn't think the name was too feminine.)

My own feeling is that name changes should remain vanishingly rare. The display name is the only way that other players can know who you are. Effectively, the name is the character.

Just one or two people over the course of years... okay, people can learn and remember there's a connection. If it becomes more common than that, you'd have roleplaying chaos.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 05:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

you'd have roleplaying chaos.

And to think i was going to completely agree with you untill those last two words Mr. Green

After that, i just laughed real hard.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 05:48 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Reverb

you'd have roleplaying chaos.

And to think i was going to completely agree with you untill those last two words Mr. Green

After that, i just laughed real hard.

Okay... yup, y'got me. Laughing Out Loud

(Still. There's fun chaos... and then there's, you know, chaos that actually destroys roleplaying.)

Profile Email
Anonymous: Cheshire+Child
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 06:14 PM UTC  

sessine, when you put it like that i understand why putting effort into asking a mod through petition is worth it. Which is why I did that. There are a ton of reasons, but i gave two...

Zolotisty
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 06:53 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

A technical note: changing the display name does not change the login.

Curious. Speaking as someone who had a very brief namechange, I can attest that the login did in fact change.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 07:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Zolotisty

A technical note: changing the display name does not change the login.

Curious. Speaking as someone who had a very brief namechange, I can attest that the login did in fact change.

I stand corrected -- the login can change, then. There's at least one case where the display name was changed and the login was not, and, um... I needed another cup of coffee? There are two independent columns in the table, but clearly they can both be changed.

Come to think of it, the real identifier is the numeric acctid. That's what can't change.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, December 06 2010 @ 07:57 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Sessine, Zolotisty - you're both right. Since the only mechanic right now for changing the name is me going in and doing so manually, sometimes I leave the login the same and sometimes I don't. Razz

Profile Email Website
Sloth
 Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 05:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

... there's a limit to the number of times you can make use of Dr. Paprika's services ...

Wow, this I did not know. What's the limit? Like... twice? Or twenty times? Or two hundred times? Oooh, or some random number for each person?

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 09:30 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Sloth

... there's a limit to the number of times you can make use of Dr. Paprika's services ...

Wow, this I did not know. What's the limit? Like... twice? Or twenty times? Or two hundred times? Oooh, or some random number for each person?

I believe it is Five.

But, back on the original topic--So, if I decide to stop being lazy, and send in the petition for a name change (I've been advised about it by several veterans... apparently they don't like me because of my screen name). What should I put in? I'm pretty good at writing essays for reasons about things.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: LadyRavenSkye

I believe it is Five.

But, back on the original topic--So, if I decide to stop being lazy, and send in the petition for a name change (I've been advised about it by several veterans... apparently they don't like me because of my screen name). What should I put in? I'm pretty good at writing essays for reasons about things.

Oh, I'll change your name. You don't need to give me a reason. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
LadyRavenSkye
 Tuesday, December 07 2010 @ 10:46 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I believe it is Five.

Do I still have to send it a petition, since you know I want a change?
-Would really, love her name shortened to Skye-

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, December 11 2010 @ 07:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It seems like generally, something like this is usually a system that scales with use - It costs 10 (Currency) the first time, 20 the second, 40 the third, so forth. This seems like a pretty good system, in that it deters people from frivolous use because it makes it harder for them to fix when they want to change it back. Coming from someone who created a side account for the specific reason that the character was meant to be unrecognizable, I do think it would be nice to have some sort of option to change the name. It can't be difficult, given that the name colorization is set up specifically to not allow changes.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Raidur
 Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 10:48 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

A mechanism for this would be good in my opinion, and the scaling payment option would certainly make people think. Perhaps 20-50 cigs the first time (not impossible for a rookie) and doubling each time they avail themselves of the privlege, making them think more each time about the change, because the cost the next time will be even more prohibitive.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 11:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I believe it is Five.

Do I still have to send it a petition, since you know I want a change?
-Would really, love her name shortened to Skye-

Nonono, he didn't say he'd let you choose your new name. He seems entirely too happy about this. The reason I've never asked for a name change is that I was worried someone with a cruel sense of humour would decide I was being an idiot and change it to something worse. (This is a lie. I'm just really bad at being imaginative)

(I'm sure CMJ's not that cruel really. That grin just seemed very wide and suspicious. Please don't hurt me)

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 06:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: talkydoor

Nonono, he didn't say he'd let you choose your new name. He seems entirely too happy about this. The reason I've never asked for a name change is that I was worried someone with a cruel sense of humour would decide I was being an idiot and change it to something worse. (This is a lie. I'm just really bad at being imaginative)

(I'm sure CMJ's not that cruel really. That grin just seemed very wide and suspicious. Please don't hurt me)

CMJ? Cruel? Nah...
Bit of a trickster god? perhaps.

But yeah...that grin and comment seemed rather menacing when I read it the first time Eek!

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Alik
 Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 10:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I remember I had to get mine changed. but had already done two DK's (The first one takes forever as well .) but the display name "Iced Over" didn't really have as much of a name-like quality to it, once I realized that I enjoyed both the game AND the role playing. Unfortunately everyone didn't know who I was so it created a few problems over the ones it solved, but was still worth it in the end ^^;

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.58 seconds
New Topic Post Reply