Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The Jill Baker: fellow newb quest
 |  Printable Version
Trowa
 Wednesday, February 23 2011 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Would it suck less if Jill didn't join you as a companion?

No, I think it would suck more if she didn't join you.

But, when I read Kallio's comment, I was in complete agreement. I was totally caught off-guard when Jill died in one blow. I'm on a rank 5, so I felt really, really awful! And yes, I even Failed myself with Suicidal hunting to see if she was on the Fail Boat, and then felt ten times worse when she wasn't!

Other ideas for making this suck less?

It's been a couple months since I was a Rookie, and it took me longer than two levels to catch on that I didn't need to keep the free stuff from the Council Offices. At one point I did realize Cheeseburgers were making me fat, and I hadn't traveled further than Kitt, so I was hoarding Rat Packs in hopes of trimming down. Turns out I was eating too many of those, too! Anyway, I probably wouldn't have minded giving Jill half my req payouts for one simple reason: the "sell stuff at eBoy's" hint is right there in the story, and I would have learned something! Though it probably would have taken me a couple tries to catch on to check what was selling the highest before going to the CO... But if I had, I would have felt like some sort of elite player!

That didn't answer the question, did it? Uhm... Maybe a couple more useful hints in the story text? When I was a Rook, I felt like I always just stumbled upon hints from veteran players. It's hard to know what questions to ask when you're still not entirely sure how the game works. I'm an engineer, I usually don't read instructions or ask for directions unless they're fun and interesting. Okay, also because I'm a man...

But, I am so curious what the rewards for completing this quest are! Will Jill ever recover from her injuries? If I see her again, will she be older? Wiser? A Kittymorph? I think it's a great start, and would be really fun if her story continued. You could feel like you're growing in parallel with another character!

Speaking of which, that's probably one of the best parts of the game for me: Meeting players at the same level as me and growing at the same rate (until one of you decides to go on a Drive-Killing Spree to get up to Joker...). Maybe an NPC would detract from that for other players, but I still think it would be nifty!

Now if you don't mind, my character is going to keep drinking himself silly in Jill's memory.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, February 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

It would be very cool if, the next time after the quest's over that you would have died in battle, she comes along and kills the monster, thus thanking you (by saving your life) and showing you that your help really did make a difference.

Quote by: Trowa

And yes, I even Failed myself with Suicidal hunting to see if she was on the Fail Boat, and then felt ten times worse when she wasn't!

These are both pretty awesome ideas. If she gets boated, the next time you go there, there should be a little feel-good dialogue between you and her. And if she doesn't get boated, or even if she does, getting a 'freebie' (no boat, no exp/req loss, survive with 1 HP) on your next death doesn't seem too imbalanced.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 12:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

These are both pretty awesome ideas. If she gets boated, the next time you go there, there should be a little feel-good dialogue between you and her. And if she doesn't get boated, or even if she does, getting a 'freebie' (no boat, no exp/req loss, survive with 1 HP) on your next death doesn't seem too imbalanced.

Now that's a good idea! FailBoat Jill!

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 01:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I kinda liked it, and had no trouble getting her through (Of couse, it only took three easy fights on rk1, lvl13, so she didnt get a chance to get annoying.)

I agree with the others that it would be nice to see what happened afterwards with jill at some later point. Maybe after a dk or two? Returning Contestant Jill?

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Anna Dewhurst
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 01:49 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

And yes, I even Failed myself with Suicidal hunting to see if she was on the Fail Boat, and then felt ten times worse when she wasn't!

I did this. And searched all over the FailBoat. It was very depressing.

Profile Email
Chef Micha
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 08:56 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I lost Jill on the first fight! I wish she could have stayed around longer, but doing a rank 7 must have been hard on poor rookie Jill's first go-round. (I can relate, I have since lowered my rank Razz ) But I never got to see what happens if you win a fight with her, since she died so quickly.

I really enjoyed the writing up to that part, though.

Profile Email Website
Anna Dewhurst
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 09:31 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Chef+Micha

I lost Jill on the first fight! I wish she could have stayed around longer, but doing a rank 7 must have been hard on poor rookie Jill's first go-round. (I can relate, I have since lowered my rank Razz ) But I never got to see what happens if you win a fight with her, since she died so quickly.

I really enjoyed the writing up to that part, though.

I've got logs! Distract me if you'd like to see.

Profile Email
Swede
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 10:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I liked it. From rp perspective, it appealed more to Swede than the Stranger. Loved the writing, like the fact how you pointed out she spend her whole starting req on coffee. It made feel some pity for her, yet like her too.

As for combat:
Jill joined while doing a rank 4 dk at lvl 13.
She handled herself rather well and managed to survive without any problems.
There was a small bug which Hairy Mary also reported, where her req's are mentioned twice and the first as %. Now I think the % came from her getting more then her required 110 (at level 13 that isn't too hard), and the second mention came after her healing up.

And like some others, I too would like to see some follow up.

Profile Email
Marly
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 02:43 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Rosin

I LIKE HAVING ROSIN MAKE FRIENDS. ROBOT FRIEND WAS FUN, JILL FRIEND IS FUN. I would like to see more of them. (STRANGER WAS NOT FUN FRIEND, HOWEVER.)

HEY HE WAS A SPLENDID FRIEND AND VERY NICE WITHAL.

I liked Jill. And it makes a very nice reminder to be nice to new people.

I'm trying not to think about how Alpha and the Mass would have helped her. "Yes, coffee, with a side of fing..."

Screw it, I'm thinking about it.

No, it's a good story, a reminder that we're not all ripped from the clutches of time and space, just popped over from Mars in a TARDIS, or still washing off the primordial ooze we crawled from in some deep, dark cavern in the mountains. All splendid ways of coming here, but the average contestant starts off normal and clueless. Captures that very nicely, especially in the calculations of how much coffee costs and what that means.

Profile Email
bl0b
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 04:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Liked the story. Also good that she reminds the player how to get going as well with council office items, and the end of the quest is just enough money for the basic equipment, even if the earnings are only split in half.
Mind you, it felt a bit odd, since I've been around for a while and killed the drive a few times that she only approached me now and failed to realize I was a zombie doing a rank 6 difficulty. Also, I jumped straight from level 1 to level 3. She was at 500-odd health, so I thought I could keep her safe-ish for a bit, but she got dealt 10 times more damage than I was. Guess I wasn't the target audience though, huh?
Very good story and very useful for rooks.

Oh, and about her saving your butt, as long as it's not the drive or a titan she hops in to kill, it would be cool to see her again.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 10:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh. My. God.

I got Jill back! Granted, the quest started completely over when I did another "double-leveling," but she's back! She's really back! I totally skipped the first page of the story by accident, thinking it was a fluke I had this wall of text for no reason, then I realized what I was doing and stopped myself. "Better check for changes to the story," I told myself, "Maybe someone up the ladder saw my desperate plea for Jill's safety and has given me a second chance!" So I am. I will be very careful this time, promise! I will handle her like a delicate egg! ....which will be tricky since I'm still on a Rank 5... But I shall persevere! Plus, it seems like CMJ has made some tweaks to her since I last saw her, so I'll try to keep a careful eye on those, too.

EDIT: Aaaand, of course, as soon as I post this and finish reading the story, I notice the MotD was updated like twenty minutes ago. Rolling Eyes

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, finished the quest. Cigs were a good reward, I like those! And when it says it makes me feel good about myself, I honestly did! But also because usually that sort of flavor ("Flavour"?) text means something nice will happen. Smile

So, the fighting went very smoothly. I have so many mods and buffs I didn't notice if she ever got a swing in, though she did get hit for a few points of damage a couple times. At first I didn't realize that her 33 HP was only a partial health bar, so I was afraid she'd lost health before a fight had even begun. I'm still trying to get used to the different colors and lengths of the health bar. Confused But, once I figured it out, like I said, she seemed to do very well holding her own. A couple times I did have to throw out a grenade and discharge my Tesla Frame to finish a fight "decisively" (nice touch, by the way!), and at another point my Fire Extinguisher ran out of CO2, resulting in me just whacking things about on the head. Ah, Team Awesome were good sports about it, though, and went down easily. Big Grin

I think at this point my character will be drinking himself silly at his own little private congratulatory party now! Nice work! Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

EDIT: sorted

I like Jill. Smile

Profile Email
Trowa
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 11:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What does "clearjilldata" do? Found that at the bottom of my list of links after I finished the quest under the heading of "debug," but it disappeared when I refreshed the page (I had timed-out).

Profile Email
Rosin
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 11:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"You look around for Jill, but you don't see her anywhere."

GOOD. I'd feel horrid if she wound up on the Failboat just after getting her basic kit! (Thankfully that tattoo mutant was kind enough to wait until she left on her own, hmm?) Also, I didn't pay any real attention, so this mention of cigarettes is something I did not notice! Good thing though, I like it still.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, February 24 2011 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

What does "clearjilldata" do? Found that at the bottom of my list of links after I finished the quest under the heading of "debug," but it disappeared when I refreshed the page (I had timed-out).

Probably wipes the questline values, as an admin feature for testing.

I enjoyed reading it, and as a vet-ish-type person trying to think of it from the standpoint of a newbie, having someone to help seems like it would be handy. I didn't have the problems others were having with difficulty, because the devastator is a long-range version of a chainsaw, so Jill got to pick up the amount needed in two battles without so much as a scratch. Having a reward for it was kind of nice, though I was also kind of glad that not everything gave you something for your trouble.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Wolfgang
 Friday, February 25 2011 @ 12:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I had accepted the Jill quest before the optimization work, then when i came on i rejected it cause i already had Jill and then i went to fight some Easy monsters and she died in 2 fights... Is this normal?

Cause it didn't seem overly fair... i was doing easy fights so she wouldn't die and then she goes and dies in practically 5 turns (auto turns mind you)

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, February 25 2011 @ 12:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

She still can't spam suicidal quests in the nude? I can. What a n00b. Razz

Profile Email
Alkerio
 Friday, February 25 2011 @ 01:07 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The new improvements make the whole thing much easier and more enjoyable in my opinion. I mean, it was nice to begin with. Reading the whole text leading up to her joining you, then having her die the first time, it made me actually feel guilty, and that I had somehow lost... something. A reward, a friend, a new section of the game. I dunno. I couldn't put my finger on it, but having a weak companion that you're responsible for, and actually making her a likable character, gave the whole thing more emotional weight, and I enjoyed that.

The second time around, I still enjoyed it. It got rough in some parts and I'd have to run away, but it was still fun. I'd have to say that maybe one of the few negative things about it was that, even on a character that was level two, which is where I'm supposed to meet her, she appeared in Kittania and suddenly we were in Joe's Cafe, presumably in NewHome. When the conversations over, poof, back in Kittania again. It was just odd and a bit jarring.

Profile Email
Nanobug
 Friday, February 25 2011 @ 01:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Jill came back, and I thought I'd give it another go seeing how atrociously I went the first time. Helps to actually read the text. We did easy fights this time. Although after using all my bang grenades to finish the fights "decisively", she nearly had enough to get some weapons and armor, and then on the last fight she nearly died. So I teleported to safety just in time.

My first time teleporting. Felt a bit queasy. More like Captain Jack Harkness using his time vortex manipulator than being in a nice TARDIS. (Yes, yes, I know, its travel in space, not time, sosumi.)

Since I've never been further than Kittania, I thought I would go further afield and try somewhere new, so picked CC404. Arrived safely, but Jill's hitpoints were still really low, since we didn't finish the last fight, she hadn't been to the hospital tent. Went to the tent, but she didn't get healed automatically, I had to pay 83 req to heal her up. Went back and killed the last monster, she got her final req and said farewell (thanks for the cigs).

Now I am stuck in Cyber City, and have no idea where on the map I am. Of course I can cheat and go and look at the Land Registry, after I travel outside the city and see what's here, but that would be cheating, right?

Ok, so I cheated. Wow! I am way up here at W38! 37 squares from New Home! I can either walk back quickly (should be less than a couple of hours), walk back slowly and check out everything along the walk (might take me at least 10 days, if I'm thorough), or use my 2nd teleporter to zip back instantly. Decisions, decisions.

Better buy some good walking boots, this may take a while.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply