Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dwellings: miscellaneous suggestions and requests
 |  Printable Version
Mothball
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

...And of course, after posting that last night, in bed, I had another idea.

Some sort of thing, like `w, that references the users gender, so we can apply the right honorifics. Might need to be a module, but...
Actually, there might be a module for just that. But still. No harm in putting it here, right?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, April 20 2011 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Always have Back to entrance and Back to Map as standard hotkeys

A sudden, similar idea that came to me: maybe a donator function, or something, where we can customize these links? The hotkey should always be the same, so maybe customizing it could result in, I dunno, "(M) Southern Exit".

Profile Email
Rosin
 Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 07:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

TLDR: Me like movable dwellings, want be expensive if at all. Me should pay indentured typist more so he no make me sound like offensive stereotype of the Neanderthal peoples.

I am going to put my two bits (which when you think of it isn't half enough money for the bus on the cheap) in on the movable dwelling idea and say YESPLEASE..

BUT. I do believe it should be expensive. Something to be worked toward, definitely. Like, say, 90 cigs +10 per room (I'm counting the entry room as 10 cigs) so the absolute bare minimum cost would be 100 cigs to move it. And since I'm so crazy, I would make it not only expensive to move but difficult beyond farming up cigarettes.

Like, say, putting a one ton weight (Well, maybe 150kg or so) in someone's pack that they have to lug from the current dwelling location to the new one. As a beacon, of course. For the domesticated titan who is going to be picking up their dwelling and wandering along after them. So it doesn't decide to drop their house on an ouptost wall or something.

I wouldn't be so crazy as to make them take the house room by room to the new location, though that would definitely encourage player cooperation on big scales, but.. Actually maybe I would be that crazy. Beacons for every room moved? And a land claim stake to make sure they don't put ten dwellings right on top of improbable central, thus clogging the map square with a huge amount of wonderfully written descriptive text that would be completely ignored while people try to just enter the outpost because that's the real reason they came there for?

Though I think, as with almost all the ideas I've ever suggested, this would be an absolute bitch to code on the scale of rewriting half of dwellings.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Kyonus
 Wednesday, April 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Due to my prodigious ego, I am forced to comment because I am deluding myself I know what I'm on about...

Movable Dwellings... I like this idea, but not apparently in the way you guys are thinking...

Like they can move around the map, or even warp at the cost of fuel instead of stamina (or cigs)? And like Dwellings, they'd be customisable so you could be flying an airship, driving a bus, or riding a giant man-eating tortoise...

I guess I'm really thinking of Vehicles then, aren't I? Razz

Back on the actual buildings though, I think the option to move one of them for a buncha cigs would be good. I mean, I'm not a dwelling guy... but... yeah. I had something to say there. I lost it.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 02:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Only sort of related to dwellings, but a simple (probably) fix, and important: please put a confirm screen before buying a land claim stake. I mean, I have to go through like twelve screens when I want to buy a goddamn spork, but I can accidentally plonk down 100 cigs on a claim stake and have no way to back out of it? That's happened to me twice, now.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is precisely why I keep using my cigs when I have 100. I'm terrified that I'll do that.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 02:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree. A confirm screen on placing the stakes would probably be a good idea, too. "Carter's Completely Skronkin' Accidental Chalet" comes to mind. Notice for people who have accidentally planted their stakes: Sessine can delete them for you, if you ask - and refund the cigs. I don't know if this also applies to buying stakes.

(Also not housing-related: maybe add a confirm screen for backpacks and bandoliers, too? Req is cheap, but cigs are expensive. Does anyone remember, do Mounts have a confirm screen?)

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 02:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Pretty sure mounts do. And Backpacks/bandoliers need a confirmation for if they're a downgrade, too. I had code for that somewhere...

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 02:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know if this also applies to buying stakes.

It does. The second time I did it, Sessine told me to just toss the stake and she gave me the cigs.

Still, the ability to badger a mod into fixing something for you when you fuck it up is no replacement for - and let's be honest - lazy coding.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 03:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I don't know if this also applies to buying stakes.

It does. The second time I did it, Sessine told me to just toss the stake and she gave me the cigs.

Still, the ability to badger a mod into fixing something for you when you fuck it up is no replacement for - and let's be honest - lazy coding.

Well, when you put it like that...

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, May 03 2011 @ 12:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This one's kinda dwelling-related.

Could the chat bit for owners of dwellings (as in the ability to delete comments) be added to clan halls for at least founders and leaders, maybe officers too, as well as to natterspaces? Esp. in the natterspaces, it makes no sense to not have complete control over what's appearing on your own bio page.

not that anyone ever natters me. Sadface.

Profile Email
Kallio
 Tuesday, May 03 2011 @ 08:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

One thing I would absolutely love would be the ability to partially redecorate a room, i.e., decoration costs based on amount changed from old description rather than total size of new description. No idea how difficult this would be to implement, though.

Also, it would nice if doors could have names of their own, rather than just showing the names of the rooms they connect, since you don't always want someone to know where they're going. Even better if a door could have different names from different sides, allowing it to be a Staircase Up from below or a Staircase Down from above. This would also make it possible to create curving passages, meaning that exiting a room to the north wouldn't necessarily mean coming into the next room from the south, and potentially allowing you to make the way back unclear.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, May 03 2011 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kallio

One thing I would absolutely love would be the ability to partially redecorate a room, i.e., decoration costs based on amount changed from old description rather than total size of new description. No idea how difficult this would be to implement, though.

Also, it would nice if doors could have names of their own, rather than just showing the names of the rooms they connect, since you don't always want someone to know where they're going. Even better if a door could have different names from different sides, allowing it to be a Staircase Up from below or a Staircase Down from above. This would also make it possible to create curving passages, meaning that exiting a room to the north wouldn't necessarily mean coming into the next room from the south, and potentially allowing you to make the way back unclear.

To go through this, since I've been trying to figure out some of it myself...
At first I thought text comparison would be a pain in the ass. Trying to actually code that one's self would be. But PHP is fucking magic, and has functions like similar_text which sounds pretty much exactly like what you'd want here. So fixing spelling mistakes on your 4,000-character room description wouldn't mean a day's worth of decoration.

The current system, as I understand it, does not provide handling for naming doors because the system fetches the room's name for determining the doors. The "tree branch" style system is also why we don't have the ability to connect one room to multiple other rooms. I'd outlined a system some months ago for creating doors as a separate entity from rooms which would allow naming from both sides, one-way locks, secret passages, and rooms to connect to multiple other rooms. I presume that this dwelling code update that CMJ is apparently working on takes at least some of this into consideration.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 03:01 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Beeps

I'd outlined a system some months ago for creating doors as a separate entity from rooms which would allow naming from both sides, one-way locks, secret passages, and rooms to connect to multiple other rooms.

Just wanted to haul this out and emphasize it.

That is all.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 03:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Beeps

I'd outlined a system some months ago for creating doors as a separate entity from rooms which would allow naming from both sides, one-way locks, secret passages, and rooms to connect to multiple other rooms.

Just wanted to haul this out and emphasize it.

That is all.

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=20734&mode=&show=10&page=2 Was said post I was referencing. Just to clarify. The idea was vague, but mostly because I wanted to hear how others saw the idea, or thought parts could be done. The main thing I see with the idea is making a system for connecting rooms. You'd essentially have to list off every room the same way locks currently work, which is, honestly, not a very good system.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 06:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another couple of suggestions, not related to the current discussion.

A Show/Hide toggle for construction and dec jobs. Visible in all rooms, e.g., "This building has X active construction projects. Show list" (hidden by default? maybe set as a pref?) and when you click on it, it displays all the expansions and extensions, like they display now, and the decoration jobs, with a progress bar and the [Done/Total] numbers displayed.

Jump to commentary link. Or maybe a "hide description" one. You can hit PgDn or End to go to the comment box to post, but it might be handy to have (yet another link, in the oh-so-cluttered sidebar?) something to skip straight to the top line of chat as the top line on your screen.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 06:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Jump to commentary link. Or maybe a "hide description" one. You can hit PgDn or End to go to the comment box to post, but it might be handy to have (yet another link, in the oh-so-cluttered sidebar?) something to skip straight to the top line of chat as the top line on your screen.

Maybe do it like world squares, where the commentary jumps to the top if you've posted in it?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 03:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's an option in your preferences that will jump you to the commentary box every time you post. It works everywhere including dwellings. (The only problem I have is in Clan Halls if you have a super long Clan Description, you'll need to scroll up a bit to see the majority of the commentary; but that's neither here nor there Razz )

I think this has been tweaked, because I remember selecting it once before awhile back and it didn't seem to do anything. Now it seems to always work, and even catches me off guard sometimes because it'll automatically put my cursor in the box, so hitting "Page Up" doesn't do anything until I click out of it.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This has definitely been tweaked recently. You'll notice that the URL after posting has something like #commentary_Kittania-aux after it - That's this feature at work.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, May 04 2011 @ 09:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Here's an odd request that might be filled by doors, but how about an option to go back to a certain point in a dwelling? I'll clarify by example.

I'm in Dunbernanding. From the main room, I go to the West wing, through room A, to arrive in room B to pick up a card. Now, I wish to go back to the West wing, without going through room A again.

EDIT: I just noticed the jump to last comment thing. Awesome.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.78 seconds
New Topic Post Reply