Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dwellings: miscellaneous suggestions and requests
 |  Printable Version
Maniak
 Saturday, May 14 2011 @ 11:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A mass delete button that actually deletes all the comments on the page. Or a select all button.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Holydemonhero
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 05:52 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Wilder ideas - probably would be whole new modules

• Link two or more dwellings together so that you can explore and chat in one mega-place, but leave by the one you came in (Common Grounds style)
  • Move dwellings from one mapsquare to another (80 cigs? 100?)
  • Sleeping bags - furniture that comes with you, that you can use in any sleep spot
  • Storage lockers for meat? Kitchen function, get more stamina from cooking? Restaurant function - sell food?
  • Vending machines? (Owned by who? Costs? Supplies?)
  • Games?
  • Memento shops?
  • Monster encounters?
  • Healing (?supplied by owner/donators bringing medkits)?
  • ATMs?
  • Mechanism for willing a dwelling to a person or a clan in case you leave
  • Mechanisms - automatic, for owners and for visitors - to flag up unwanted dwellings, and for mods to mark them as "do not delete". See here for some ideas (land tax? one plot per square per person? automatic "for sale" on undeveloped-after-certain-time plots?)
[/p][/QUOTE]

I am very interested in some of these ideas and would like to talk about some.
Note that these are just ideas and suggestion and can be altered in any way that the mods see fit.

1. The kitchen. A kitchen would be a room in your dwelling that can hold meat and other food items. Building the kitchen would need lots of wood and stone, maybe 300 logs, 100 stone, 100 "special". Special could be a new type of building kit like electrician kit which cost much more ciggs to use per day. The kitchen can store meat and food items similar to the log and stone storage. Each dwelling has certain licensed cooks that the owner chooses (just like keys) and the licenses would cost ciggs to make and only a certain of number of cook can work in one dwelling. Each item on the menu needs a certain amount of resources and stamina to cook (i.e. 7 tasty meat, 4 half meat, 5 sugar, 7 salt, 3 oil, 2% stamina). The food resources besides meat could be bought from Maiko, found in crates, of dropped from Improbable events. The more resources the finished meal needs the more stamina it give and the more it costs. Some meal could also give special buffs (i.e. Tasty Sandwich gives +2 attack or Fried Chicken gives +5% stamina but - 2% health per round due to heartburn). Visitors of the dwelling can see on a menu how many of each meal there is and how much it costs. The cooks and the dwelling share the profit, the ratio can be adjusted however the mods think its fair. Instead of sleeping spaces there could be seats in the kitchen and if all seats are taken you can't order anything and have to wait till someone leaves.

2. Vending machines. Similar to the kitchen the venders would needs some "Special" building done and it would take up a floor space in the room it is in. The owner and players with master keys (or special vendor keys) can put items into the vending machine. Vending machines could have 'nades, med kits, candy(buff givers). Every item in the vender must be stocked up by someone with a vending key.

3. ATM. Sure why not. Again ATM will need "Special" building and take up a sleeping space. You can ONLY get money out of them and only a certain amount per day depending on the players level (i.e. lvl 1 gets max 60 req a day, lvl 15 get 2000 req a day).
They would also be a small transaction fee of 2%-5%.

4. Monster encounters. This could be interesting. Players with certain characteristics would have to encounter monsters if they enter certain rooms. This could act as a barrier to only allow skilled players to certain rooms regardless of giving them keys or not. The encounters could be determined from race, level, drivekill, implant, or if they are a clan member. The monsters would need a room all to themselves with cages instead of floorspaces. Players can enter monster keeping room to look at the monsters but not interact with them unless the set foot into the trigger room. To get monster you would need a pokeba....... Monster-Capturing_Sphere and then go out into the jungle. When the monster is low in health you can use the MCS and try and capture it. If the monster isn't captured then you can collect the MCS after the fight. Monsters would need upkeep(food and fresh newpapers to soil on) which could be paid in req or ciggs.

5. Linking Dwelling. Yes, but only for dwelling in the same square and both owners have to agree and build special linking room that connects them.

6. Treasure Chests. Put some chests hidden in the dwelling that found if certain requirements are met (I can't think of anything that could be used as a requirement at the moment sooooo yeah... more on that later). ONLY the owner can put items in a chest. The items would costs ciggs to put in and are random (i.e. lvl 1 item costs 10 ciggs, lvl 2 item costs 30 ciggs, etc.) The items would be random so even the owner wouldn't know whats in the chest. The chest will need 3 real time days to be activated (so you can't just give free stuff to a buddy) and the item will be randomly generated when the chest is opened. All items (weapons, armor, equipment) from chests cannot be sold for req or ciggs, well maybe for something under 1000 req.

Hope that these ideas will at least be read and though over before shot down ;-P
and hope that some of you will find this interesting.

P.S.
Here are some fun smiles
(>^_^)> d(-_-)b <(^o^)>

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, May 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A long one. Apologies in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buddleia's initial post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a mix of new things in addendum to anything else I've said in the thread already. At least, I hope it's all new.

Problem: can't find people in large dwellings.
I don't have a good solution for any of these. Mostly because the suggestions could be hazardous. "I'm in the Foyer, from the Green Hallway, from the Stairs To The Left, from the Back alley, from the Kitchen, from the Dining Hall, from the First Door On The Left, from the Space Heater, from the Main Entry Hall!" I could see a way to do an on-enter thing, or a way to ring the doorbell, though. A timestamp for the last time the bell was rung and who rang it would allow it to spit out "Rookie DingDongDitcher is at the door!" message before the description for a minute or two before disappearing.

===================================================================================

Fix room name truncation bug: allow apostrophes (e.g. "Buddleia's Suite", "Edith's Room", not just "Buddleia" and "Edith" - because "Explore Buddleia" and "You cannot enter Edith" just looks wrong)
Somehow I missed this the first time. I believe I sent a petition about this, since this is (I believe) related to another VERY BIG bug (Not Ferryn).
A name like "Edith's Room" will be turned into "Edith\'s Room" when entering it into the database. When retrieving it, the current code removes the slashes, then turns the data back into a normal array of information. The reason this is a problem is that the unserialize() function is based on the length of the string, so removing the slashes before doing this results in a malformed array of data. This is the same kind of problem (Though in a different part of the code) that causes all the icons to vanish on your post if you use a \ in commentary. It's also why build jobs for rooms with slashes in them will vanish and have to be removed by an admin in order to fix it. I'm not entirely sure why slashes are being removed, actually.

===================================================================================

Problem: more functions needed for Keys
The current method looks like it's a bit roundabout in its method of storing keys. I'd propose a system that uses bitwise flags (I'm a sucker for those bitwise flags) establishing the player's rights. So on the code side, a person's rights might look like KEY_FRONT_DOOR|KEY_ADD_BUILD_JOB. User-side, it would just be a user's name and a list of checkboxes for what rights you want them to have. I suppose this would have to be separated into Dwelling and Room keys so you can keep track of who's allowed in what rooms, but I imagine they already are split up.

Section-only master key: allow build jobs, decoration, ?kicking, and locking control for one room or one branch only.
If rooms are separated, then I'd like to propose an ownership tag for them. A dwelling can be owned by, say, a clan leader, and the clan leader can then add a room to the dwelling and "give" it to the second in command. Said room continues to exist within the dwelling, and they have access to the full build menu from there. This could also lead to things like apartment buildings, with people "leasing" a wing of the dwelling. A dwelling owner could revoke the ownership of the parent room and any subsequent construction if at all necessary. I suppose this complicates the issue of the material stock, though.

Fix the bug that makes build jobs disappear!

While I'm still a bit foggy on exactly what causes build jobs to vanish, I imagine that part of it has to do with the way the system is set up. Looking at the code, this is what I'm seeing:

• A new build job is added.
  • This is added to the dwelling's properties, in a large array of data. The build job contains the information for doing the tasks, what the outcome will be, what appears to possibly be a list of people who've worked on the room, where the room will go, so on and so forth. From what I can tell, it's a miracle that all build jobs for the dwelling don't vanish when one does.
  • As you perform a job, it grabs the description text from the array and increases the "to completion" stats.
  • Once a job is complete, it creates a room where the original array says to create one.

What I'd propose here is a separation of build jobs, if possible. My first thought is to make a build jobs dependent on the room that they're creating, but I can see how that could cause difficulties with getting the currently-waiting jobs.

At the very least, I'd start by removing a large chunk of the information and making it static. Building currently uses two known materials, there's no reason I can see to make the array in the database store everything about these jobs from the description to the amount of stamina it costs to do them. Sleep slots always have the same default name, new rooms always have the same default description. Simplify the array!

Possible solution: Make it so that rooms have a "under construction" flag, which hides the nav link, or bars entry with "under construction" rather than "locked." The setting would be an array of how many of a task are needed - So, simply, a countdown for stone/wood. When the array is empty, the "under construction" property is unset, and the room is available. The benefit to this is that if the room is already constructed, but inaccessible, it's hard to lose. I imagine the reason we're losing rooms is because they simply don't exist until their completion. It's less likely that something could fail, and if it does, it's probably more likely that it would accidentally clear the "under construction" flag and "activate" the room early than delete the whole room.

Fix bleed-through of formatting. If you don't close colours, bold, italics, or even alignment, they go on through to commentary and nav links - from dwelling and room names as well as from descriptions.
This should likely be standard on navigation. Someone recently mentioned that it was causing all sorts of oddness with a specific implant in a specific case. I've forgotten all of the specifics, but simply using `0 at the end of all navigation before outputting it should solve this problem.

Maniak's second-to-most-recent post

Quote by: Maniak

Here's an odd request that might be filled by doors, but how about an option to go back to a certain point in a dwelling? I'll clarify by example.

I'm in Dunbernanding. From the main room, I go to the West wing, through room A, to arrive in room B to pick up a card. Now, I wish to go back to the West wing, without going through room A again.

If done the way I envisioned it, then yes, this would be filled by doors. A door would be a separate entity from the room, so in building one, you'd have the option to make it go to just about any other room in the dwelling. In fact, since the design I had come up with didn't make the room ID dependent on the house ID (In the current system, the first room is always ID 0, the first room built is ID 1, so forth) and made every room have a unique ID, you could theoretically have a room link to a room in another dwelling.
This system also allowed you to have doors link back to the current room. This probably sounds less useful than it is. The way I had doors set up, you had a description for both doors and rooms. Room descriptions would be static things, like "There's a desk in the corner." Door descriptions are what you saw when passing through the door. This could be something simple, like, "You open the door and walk into the next room." Or it could be left blank. However, if you make the door link back to the current room, suddenly you have a new option: Make a door with a name like "Look at Desk." When they "pass through" the door, back into the room they're already in, you add the door's description. That description is something like "The desk is old, made from hard wood. The faded chair behind it looks plush and fancy." So, an example.

Upon entering the room from the last:
You open the door and walk into the next room. The first thing you notice as you enter is the smell of musty books.

The room is small and cramped, with bookshelves lining the walls. There's a desk in the corner.

In the room, there's the option on the side "Look at Desk." You click this, and get:
The desk is old, made from hard wood. The faded chair behind it looks plush and fancy.

The room is small and cramped, with bookshelves lining the walls. There's a desk in the corner.

You're still in the same room, only the descriptive bit has changed at all.

Of course, this could be a bit confusing with the current system, since all doors are bundled under the "explore" option. This is where Signs come into play, but that's a completely different (if related) system.

Maniak's most recent post

Quote by: Maniak

A mass delete button that actually deletes all the comments on the page. Or a select all button.

This is just some simple coding and my head hurts too much to look at brackets tonight.

Holly Demonero's post

Quote by: Holydemonhero

1. The kitchen. [A whole bunch of words]

Augh. Wow. Slow down, kiddo. You're suggesting a system that is far more complicated than the current cooking system, requires the introduction of new materials, a shitload of code, ties into three or four different unique modules, and... Waugh. The short version is that just about every sentence in this description is a complex enough task to warrant a separate module.
To actually address the content of it, it sounds... bad. It's a huge amount of work, and there's a high chance that anyone with the resources to do it doesn't need to make requisition off the food sales.

2. Vending machines. Similar to the kitchen the venders would needs some "Special" building done and it would take up a floor space in the room it is in. The owner and players with master keys (or special vendor keys) can put items into the vending machine. Vending machines could have 'nades, med kits, candy(buff givers). Every item in the vender must be stocked up by someone with a vending key.

I am very against a number of parts of this. I like the idea of a way to dispense items. However:
  • If someone has to manually fill the machine, they may as well be gifting the items to people.
  • All standard items would be more convenient to purchase from the outposts.
  • I don't see a point to it. Really. If the owner has to restock it, then they're paying for the items, which means to turn a profit, they have to sell the items for more - That ties into the second point. No one is going to go to a remote location for the opportunity to pay more for items.
  • If they set the price, then I can see if becoming a way to store items - Put a machine in a locked room, set the prices to next to nothing, fill it with goodies. DK, come back, pick up your items. This is bad.

I still think a way to dispense mementos would be nice. That's about all I think is a good idea for vending machines.

3. ATM. Sure why not.

I think that justification speaks for itself. And without the inclusion things to buy in a dwelling, there's no reason you'd want to withdraw money while in a dwelling.

4. Monster encounters. This could be interesting.

There's a big mess of options here that are both good and bad.

• This could act as a barrier to only allow skilled players to certain rooms regardless of giving them keys or not.

Generally, it seems that the community isn't geared towards elitism. There are only a few things outside of quests/events and more wonky armor that require more than one DK to unlock.
  • The encounters could be determined from race, level, drivekill, implant, or if they are a clan member.

I like the idea of being able to access any of this information. You can in modules, but there's no way to just make a door that's so small only a midget could enter. People have (I believe) been doing the clan-member thing by using clan badge mementos to add secret password information. However, being able to do any of these things natively would be neat.

The rest is generally more overly-complicated stuff that would require a huge amount of work, and a lot of pointless upkeep in the dwelling itself.

5. Linking Dwelling.

Nothing new here. People have been suggesting/requesting/commenting on this idea for months now.

6. Treasure Chests. [Another big bunch of words]

The short version of this is "No." The long version is very mean and bitey. The nice version of it is that the game current has no "gear score" or "level" for gear, so the idea of having a "level 2" item is sort of nonsense in itself. The suggested cost of these items is enormous - Even some of the best weapons and armor have a cigarette cost that's less than 30 cigs. Most people have a favored weapon/armor/etc, so I can't see anyone who's over a few DKs wanting to use these for any reason, especially if the items are semi-random. There's no reason that having a time limit before the chest is open would deter people from giving items to friends.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Holydemonhero
 Tuesday, May 17 2011 @ 02:03 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Like I said those are just suggestions. I'm not saying that this is how it should be.
Thank you Beeps for taking to time to read and respond to my post. Shows that people care.

P.S. It' Holydemonhero not Holly demonhero
Twisted Evil got it Twisted Evil

Profile Email
Ilovemath224
 Friday, August 05 2011 @ 02:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Hm... I was thinking, if there's going to be a combat system for dwellings, maybe one could give buffs/penalities that would only apply to the room the combat takes place in, with an appropriate XP boost or penalty depending on the buff. So, if you happen to be in a room where you're fighting in a tank, you might get really high Attack and Defense boosts due to forethought by the dwelling owner, but you'd get ridiculously little EXP from actually fighting inside the tank. Or if you happen to be in a targeting range with a really good gun and plenty of ammo nearby, you might get a good attack boost, but you wouldn't get much EXP from a battle with it. Not sure what penalities would be used for, but I'm pretty sure someone could think of a use for them.

And I know it's been awhile since any ideas have been suggested, but if it's going to be implemented, that might be a nice addition to see.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Friday, August 05 2011 @ 08:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Fix room name truncation bug: allow apostrophes (e.g. "Buddleia's Suite", "Edith's Room", not just "Buddleia" and "Edith" - because "Explore Buddleia" and "You cannot enter Edith" just looks wrong)

It's not a bug, it's a feature...

At least, i wouldn't put it past CMJ.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
thryn
 Sunday, August 07 2011 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

This may have been brought up in Forum before (I am pretty sure there's a good chance it has), but I wasn't successful in attempting to search for such a post. So, the "I'm new, apologies if this has been hashed out before" disclaimer applies to my suggestion.

I think it would be rad if sleeping spaces offered the option to nap for a Stamina boost. I'm thinking much like how the hospital tent works, only you'd be choosing how long you wanted to nap for what benefit.

So if you napped for, say, 30 minutes in real time (which would be 3 hours in game time, right?) maybe you'd get 10% stam restored, 20% at 1 hour, etc.

The larger issue is I guess that it feels uneven to me that I get the same benefit from sleeping and waiting 3 hours for new day that I get if I find a bed 5 minutes before new day.

Also, hi. I'm Kathryn. Been playing as Zai for a couple weeks now, after a few old characters that I never stuck with for very long got deleted when I bailed on the game for too long.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply