Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Drinking on the go?
 |  Printable Version
Raleigh
 Friday, May 27 2011 @ 06:41 AM UTC (Read 6743 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

What we really need is hip flasks! so that you can take your favorite drink wherever you go. You'd just go to a pub, buy a drink like usual, but ask them to fill your flask instead. It would work just like regular drinking where the effects are finite and dont stack, but if you had to go to Acehigh or CC404 then you could take some drinks from your favorite bar with you! Possibly even some mix and match options? But probably not. Also, there could be a choice to have them completely fill it for a rounded fee, or just buy drink-by-drink. It would certainly be a major boon for frequent travelers and questers who can't stay near their supply very often. And the drinks could fill varying amounts of you flask too. So something small like a tigger balm or a mule daniels you could fit as many aaaaaaaas 10 shots maybe? Might be a bit much. but then the pan galactic gargle blaster, one would fill it of course. And then wanker, veggie cider and ale would be somewhere in the middle.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, May 27 2011 @ 08:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Alternatively, just forget the flask (that sounds like a nightmare to code) and give bars the option of selling you items instead of immediately applying the buff. That way, you can load up on, I don't know, ten Tigger Balms (Tigger Balms? I always thought that should've been Tiger Balm) and go to town on 404 or something.

I really like the idea of portable drinks. Though maybe the gargle blaster should be the exception to this, or, they should spoil and leave your inventory upon levelup. Buying a bunch of Gargle Blasters at level one and then using them at level 15 seems pretty unbalanced.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Friday, May 27 2011 @ 11:29 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ah, yeah that could also definitely work. Just like a bottled drink instead of the flask. (And i agree, tigger? whaaa? but i suppose thats along the same lines as the mudwisearse.) And also, agreed that you should only be able to carry one gargleeblaster at a time. Cuz they're big drinks arents they? so they'd be heavy and bulky so it'd discourage people from hoarding. But as long as the drinks are bottled, i dont see why they'd need to spoil. Just like Ration packs and energy drinks. But yeah, they'd dissapear with everything else in your backpack after a DK.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 12:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

(Tigger Balms? I always thought that should've been Tiger Balm)

Well, a Tigger's a wonderful thing...

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: dizzyizzy

HA. definitely. And i dont think anyone is arguing that. It's just a tad disconcerting to some people who are so used to seeing it spelled the other way i think.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the idea of packing up some of the drinks. A Wanker, for example, reads to me like a not-so-finely brewed and bottled lager that costs ten times its worth, thus leaving the drinker PISSED. Similarly, the Mule Daniels might be just another bottle beer that you could put up in your pack. A veggie cider could similarly be put in a flask for travel, even though MissMiuMiuMiu might insist on a mouse for the road.

But the finer (mixed) drinks in life, like the PGGB or Special Sauce, need to be prepared on the spot, by a professional. Sure, you could pack all the ingredients around with you and hope you make something remotely similar, but you can do a lot wrong with the composite parts of a Gargleblaster that will leave you just as sick and lethargic without any of that special goldbrick-to-the-cerebrum goodness that you love.

And Dan might just have good reason to keep the trade secret ingredients to his island-famous Gargleblasters to himself, after all, who would come pay fifteen thousand req for something their buddy can brew up for a net cost of eight hundred? Same with George's Secretly Special Sauce, really. If anyone actually learned it was just [redacted] from a [redacted] mixed with a [redacted]'s [redacted], they'd just harvest it themselves. Fair reasons for having the more powerful (and profitable) drinks unavailable in a travel-ready format.

NUTSHELL VERSION (ohgod how did I get in this tiny thing):
I like the idea of taking bottled versions of bottled drinks as items, and some flask-based items too. I also think there are good in-story reasons for the higher valued drinks not being sold as carryable items.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Memories
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 04:52 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Raleigh

HA. definitely. And i dont think anyone is arguing that. It's just a tad disconcerting to some people who are so used to seeing it spelled the other way i think.

Pretty sure it is the right spelling. Just to be sure we're all on the same page here.

not

right?

As for the idea, I think it's wonderful

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 04:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I just recently got into saying "TTFN" to my friends when I leave after a visit.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 05:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Rosin

NUTSHELL VERSION (ohgod how did I get in this tiny thing):
I like the idea of taking bottled versions of bottled drinks as items, and some flask-based items too. I also think there are good in-story reasons for the higher valued drinks not being sold as carryable items.

Alright that is a very good point. Because the fancy drinks wouldn't keep so well outside of the bar. That is however, why i suggested the flask in the first place, so you could just dump your drink in there instead of gulping it down. But perhaps they'd spoil along with your meat on the next new game day? or a little more slowly so they'd get a bit less potent for three days and then become totally unusable. But the bottled/flasked stuff would keep indefinitely. Also im fairly sure Mule Daniels is a play on Jack Daniels whiskey? So you could get a little fifth of that to carry around with ya.

Heh, and who wouldn't want one of Miu's mice? Perhaps they're super tasty or nutritious! Besides, isn't that how cats show their affection for one another? Maybe she's hitting on you. Ah well, i dunno why everyone turns em down.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
jakell
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 06:22 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

T.I. double G ER!

Though flasks would be nice, I would hate to imagine what it would take to have one which could contain a Gargleblaster... Likely it would eat a hole through the flask, and slowly leak out!
There would have to be some extra coding to ensure you couldn't load up on those while sober, then spend the next few hours in a drunken haze in the jungle, or slicing up a Titan.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 06:44 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yep jakell, we've definitely decided that there would be some heavy restrictions on gargleblasters due to balance issues. So one maximum, possibly not even that many.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Saturday, May 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The thing with Gargle Blasts, though, is that they go up in cost as you progress, 1000*lv. That's why being able to buy and keep a Gargle Blast at level 1 all the way until you're level 15 is a poor idea. They'd have to either spoil immediately upon levelup, or just be an exception to being able to buy bottled drinks.

Though, I mean, for how expensive Gargle Blasts are, I'm sure Dan can invest in some of those super-flasks the Builder's Brew comes in.

Mostly, I like this idea so I can apply the buffs right before I fight a Titan, instead of having to waste some rounds of it while traveling to the Titan. Making Special Sauce an exception to it would be less cool-story-wise and more just super annoying, I'd think.

(semi-related note: could cigarettes be weightless backpack items [that persist through DKs, of course], so you could use them from your inventory instead of having all of these 'have a smoke' links that I still accidentally click sometimes? That'd let you use them from the world map, too.)

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Sunday, May 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Matthew

The thing with Gargle Blasts, though...

So hed
Yes thank you Matthew, that has definitely been decided that you would not be able to carry more than one gargleblasters at a time if you could indeed carry them at all. It was also suggested repeatedly that they would spoil after a couple days so as to prevent people from "hoarding". Also, i don't quite understand your beef with the special sauce? All he does is pour it out of a container that its been marinating in. So im sure it would travel in a flask just fine. Or perhaps a slightly cheaper off brand pre-made variety? "George's Speshul Sauce" for example. A little like pre mixed drinks at liquor stores.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, May 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay so I'm pretty sure you misunderstood my post entirely.

Hoarding several Gargle Blasters at once is not the problem I'm talking about. The amount you can carry at once doesn't matter, what matters is being able to buy a Gargle Blast at level 1 for 1000 req, and keep it for the duration of your DK until you're level 15 and then use that drink, cheating poor ol' Dan out of 14000 req. Gargle Blasters cost 1000*(your current level) for balance reasons, and being able to buy a Gargle Blaster at a low level and then use the same one at a high level would circumvent it completely.

Understand, now?

As for special sauce, my 'beef' is that I don't think it should be an exception to being able to buy portable drinks, if that happens. So, uh, thanks for agreeing?

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 12:22 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Raleigh, it's alright. We're just discussing, and even if someone does say something that was already said, it doesn't hurt.

A Gargleblaster at level 15 makes a lot more of a difference than a Gargleblaster at level 1. Being able to buy them cheap when you don't need them and save them for when they matter is just silly. I like what Jakell said about Gargleblasters dissolving clear through the flask and escaping--it seems like a good reason as any to not be able to keep Gargleblasters over a level-up.

I'm not sold on the idea of having drinks be bottled, for the reason that I enjoy trying to get to where I'm going while wasting as few rounds as possible, but I can see it being very useful for Titan-fighters and folks like that. So--if coffeeshops charge extra for to-go over in-house drinks, I think it makes sense for bottled drinks to cost more than drinking it in the pub.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 03:25 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yes i understand its a mere discussion, and i'm a little miffed at the hostility... I was just reiterating a point that i thought we'd already covered. Also, i fully realize that cheating dan out of money on gargleblasters would be no bueno. What i DON'T understand is how people would buy and keep themuntil they were lv. 15 without overstepping the three day expiration date. Is that even possible? Heh, but you're right Iriana, that would be a very in-character way of losing things on the island. "suddelny it gained sentience and just left" Eek!

And naturally the to-go orders would cost more. Perhaps not significantly, but more. That way we'd be able to preserve the usefulness of having an actual bar to go to, but still allow those of us who are on the go a lot to keep our favorite drinks on hand.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Raleigh

What i DON'T understand is how people would buy and keep themuntil they were lv. 15 without overstepping the three day expiration date. Is that even possible?

From the time I drop my last titan needed to get my equip to when I hit lvl 15, it's normally a space of about two days, because I get lucky a lot with the joker stam costs. My best dk, in total, took two days, and there's a lot of people who took only one. Yeah, going from one to 15 in three days is very easily possible.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 07:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Seriously? That's crazy... I dont think i've ever made it more than four levels in three days. Alright, no portable gargleblasters then. It is simply too volatile a substance to be able to be contained.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 10:22 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Nobody in here seems hostile to me, FWIW. Smile

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Monday, May 30 2011 @ 10:44 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

If you say so. It's entirely possible i misread some peoples comments. And i sure hope i did, cuz i really would like to keep this a calm and civil discussion.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply