Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Drinking on the go?
 |  Printable Version
Saber
 Tuesday, May 31 2011 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

This idea is interesting, the added mechanic is something certainly meriting discussion.

The ability to travel from one outpost to another, stocking up on various buffs before falling upon a titan is a pass-time that more than a few islanders quite enjoy. No doubt the ability to bottle one of one's favorite buffs would gather attention and support from the very dedicated. I can certainly understand the appeal.

Yet, I have to say I'm not exactly in favor of this idea being implemented.

There are a great many places for a player to send their character when they want buffs, each offering certain appeals. The same thing goes for the eating system, and even from the beginning of Onslaught, such universally critical places as Pleasantville were maintained and defended. I feel that the locations of consumables were intentional, and that part of the challenge of truly utilizing all of those consumables is by clever travelling, req investment, and dumb luck. Simply put, if one were to disengage the item from it's location, and then go about using it anywhere all willy-nilly, it would really defeat the entire purpose by positioning certain strategic buffs in certain outposts. I happen to believe that there are, currently, enough ways for clever players to make use of multiple buffs, and that adding more would water down the difficulty of the game in an unnecessarily direct manner.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Tuesday, May 31 2011 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Well yes, unsportingly overstocking on drinks could seriously impact the combat system. Which brings me right back to my first suggestion that players be issued (or sold) hip flasks that could be filled with several gulps worth of one drink at a time. I still like that better anyways.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

So i was thinking, if we did decide to go with the pre-bottled drinks here, wouldn't it be fun to have a CRV on the empties? Make them real light weight so you could carry a whole bunch at once, and then be able to cash them in at your local (council office perhaps? that remains to be decided.) And we'll say they'd be worth about 5 req a piece everywhere except CC404, where they'd be worth double. And i think that could be benificial in a lot of ways. For starters, it makes sense, because, i mean think about it, thats a bag of future robots you've got there. Also, it might encourage more traffic up that way, and (hopefully) encourage people to stick around and fight in that jungle so it isn't under attack 24/7. Furthermore, it would be pretty realistic, because in the US, bottles and cans are worth 5 cents a piece in every state except Michigan where they're worth 10. It was even featured in a Seinfeld episode once.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Sonny
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 08:49 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Hmm. I would say no.
Saber listed the points nicely. Except for the Titan-hunters I see no need for this.

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 08:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

*sigh* fine. Them let's just put bars in the cities that don't already have them.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Mothball
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I rather like the idea of flasks, actually, and I would be fine with multiple doses, or not, if that makes people happier...

However...much higher costs, and no gargleblaster.
Hell, only one type of drink at a time. For full buffs, a Flask wouldn't be much help...but for that little extra pick me up when you are exhausted, so you can make it safely to the next outpost for some RP...

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 11:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Raleigh

*sigh* fine. Them let's just put bars in the cities that don't already have them.

How do you balance that? We can already get ridiculous stats with what bars there are, and I suspect the reason we don't have bars everywhere is because it would let us get our stats over-the-top (if we can't do that already).

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, June 01 2011 @ 11:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What is our objective here? Is it just to be able to carry hip flasks around 'cause they're cool? That seems a bit of a silly reason. Is it to lower the chance of losing buff rounds to a random monster encounter? We've said that that would be really nice for Titan hunters, but does take some of the challenge and strategy out of the drinks system. Is it because to be able to get drinks around Ace, CC and PV? That goes back to the first bit--challenge and strategy. (Arguably, CC could use something to help draw people to it, but that's not quite the same discussion.)

Profile Email
Raleigh
 Thursday, June 02 2011 @ 05:12 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The original idea was to be able to fill a flask with your favorite drink and go adventuring to faraway places with no drinks available. Like when i have to schlep all the way to Acehigh or newhome for a quest. Getting tired that far from home can be fatal. So i had hoped my suggestion would help.

Neko-desu!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.79 seconds
New Topic Post Reply