Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 It's that time again - let's talk about the Hunter's Lodge!
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 07:38 AM UTC (Read 10421 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay folks, so I've taken four months to build Places - it's a big feature and I feel really accomplished, and there's still a few fiddly little bits to sort out with it, but my problem right now is that I've spent four months on something that didn't go in the game until very recently, and both financially and motivation-wise I'm kinda in the same place where I was during the time I was working on Season Two. Working for ages on something that I can't show to people until it's finished, and it's gonna be a long time 'til it's finished, kind of thing.

Long story short, this has been nowhere as near as good a summer for the Island as it should have been! Had I thought on, I'd have been doing Places during the colder months, while the Island is naturally quiet, and during the summer I'd have been doing a lot of little things - small but visible changes that say "Yes, the game's being worked on actively and regularly," that encourage the newbies to donate.

So, I'd like some ideas for new Hunter's Lodge items. Here are a couple of my ideas, and I wanna kind of sound them out here to see what you think of them.

Altruism-Class Items
Altruism-Class Items confer no advantage to the player who buys them, but affect the Island as a whole. They give the player benefits that are even less tangible than the imaginary things we normally sell in the Hunter's Lodge - they give that warm, squishy feeling that comes from knowing you're a class act. Here are two that I can think of:

* Crate Drop / Special Crate Drop / Super Crate Drop
When somebody donates to the Island, two Supply Crates are dropped on the World Map for every dollar donated. When a player buys and uses a Crate Drop item, extra Crates are dropped on the Map, like this:
Crate Drop: $1, drops 4 Crates.
Special Crate Drop: $2, drops 10 Crates.
Super Crate Drop: $5, drops 50 Crates.

* Extend Extender
When somebody donates to the Island, the Extend bar gets filled up, as you know. This item lets the player use their Supporter Points to extend the Extend bar, like this:
Extend Extender: $5, adds $10 to the Extend bar (so for your $5 donation, you can extend the Extend bar by a total of $15).

We might want to back these things up with some sort of announcement list; something that says the last five or ten things like "CavemanJoe used a Super Crate Drop!" or "SomeOtherPlayer used an Extend Extender!" maybe in the Stats column under the buff list.

Anyone else got any ideas for things that you'd like to buy?

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 08:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, from another thread:

Quote by: Buddleia

A paid-for Gadget in the Lodge that will do all the weather effects as laid out in Trex's awesome wiki page. For those people (ahem) who want their weather in their gardens now rather than in 37 years or similar when they've gathered enough Contrivances and Contraptions for all of their outside rooms.

The privilege should be decently expensive, I'd think, because you'll need a lot of C&Cs to create the same effect without any points. Perhaps a special donator contraption that you can put in a program, all by itself, that'll do the Rain/Heavy Rain/Light/Dark/Darker effects based on weather and time of day as if it were, say, NewHome, and if they wanted the trees they'd have to put a Tree Shadows contraption in the program next to it. That way there'd be the choice to have the trees or not. Should or shouldn't be donateable, or perhaps incompatible with Place inventories, so only keyholders who buy them can place them in any given room.

I know it'd definitely be a hot item.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I thought of one, and it might seem really...OUT THERE, but.
It also might help with some outposts and their...loneliness.

How about a sort of.... cooking lessons/buying better ingredients to make more awesome food.
For one, or ALL of the Outposts' Diners.

D:
Hear me out for a sec.

We have some top notch top chef characters playing on the island [obviously none are mine, hahaha], and I think that since the food is normally so terrible in all except two of the outposts [some don't even HAVE food], maybe our characters would kinda...step in and help?

I know it's a stupid and whacky idea, but it really could help the other outposts out if people donated.

So....it seems kind of confusing, so I'll try to make an example:
-Say New Pitts is on the brink of falling, as usual.
-And let's say Carter [cause I know him, and he's a giver, AND his character is a chef, so he's a prime example], is going to go in and help out.
And some other SPARKies too, along with a slew of other islanders.
-Welp. The food in New Pitts sucks.
-So, let's say Carter donates the desired amount. Then his character ends up making a.... Brain Slush Souffle!
And it turns out to be pretty darn healthy, possibly rivaling the steaks in Kitt or PV [or, hell, it's BETTER than the steaks!].
He might [might. MIGHT.] get a discount for helping our Zombie friends cook a new dish, and everybody else who's helping the fight would be able to buy them.

-Until NewDay, when the Zombies promptly forget how to make it, and end up eating all the tasty tasty ingredients. D:

....It seems kind of like a dumb idea, but. I really think it'd help the outposts, especially the ones that are really struggling.

Ones like Imp Central and AceHigh would have to get in on this too, but an easy way to do that would be: Having food specials in the PSK and in the Cake Stand.

They might not even have to last a NewDay, if that's too long.

And maybe they could only use it IN THAT outpost. They couldn't grab it and pull it around and do other things with it.
Maybe if they tried that, they'd become ill and get a DeBuff instead of the stamina bonus.

Maybe there would be a limit on how many times you could do it per actual day/per gameday [if they don't last an entire gameday]

I would think, also, that there'd be like a...little announcement. Or something. I was thinking probably in the Council, where the alerts already are, it could mention it when it's activated for certain outposts.

u_u I think it'd be something that could really help Outposts out, I guess.

**nervously hits submit**

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 03:54 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

A fairly expensive, customizable, Hunter's Lodge item that, when placed in a slot in a room, would allow the owner to limit the time people can sleep in any beds in the room to X days.

This would be an automatic 'kick out of the place' at system newday, if the character's 'laston' date is longer ago than X real-world days. Well, or it could be specified in game days. And you could customize it in Cadfael's -- for more supporter points -- to tailor the 'you were kicked-out' message.

Why people would buy: Many players build altruistic dwellings offering sleeping accommodation for passers-by. A stay of one, two, or three days may be fine, or even a week, but when characters just take up residence, log out, and don't come back, this generous purpose is frustrated.

Altruism only goes so far. Going back every day to track who's been in which bed for how long, checking in the contestants' list to see how long it's been since they logged in, and then booting out people who have overstayed their welcome... is a bigger time commitment than most people are willing to devote to a charitable purpose. The result is that beds fill up with characters who are not being played. This is especially a problem in NewHome and IC, but there are many places this kind of security guard would be welcomed.

Why this should cost supporter points: It's not something needed in every Place, only the public or semi-public ones. There should be spots, too, and plenty of them, where a player is allowed to log out freely for longer terms, at the discretion of the owner. The same effect can be obtained by someone regularly taking the time and trouble to go through the above steps in person, so it's not going to exclude anyone who can't afford to donate, but it is a sufficiently attractive labour-saving device that people will want it.

Why I want it? I want railroad guards who will go through the train stations rousting people who sleep too long on the benches in the passenger waiting halls. That's eight sales right there! Big Grin

Edited to add: And for further SP goodness, you could have to pay a maintenance fee in SPs, so that it wouldn't simply be a one-time purchase. Not prohibitive like the teleporter beacons... more along the lines of the guards you could hire for dwellings in S1: in other words, an affordable trickle, but an ongoing reason to keep your supporter points topped up. Maybe something on the order of 1 SP per real-world day, automatically deducted.

Profile Email
Tyr
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 04:52 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

A fairly expensive, customizable, Hunter's Lodge item that, when placed in a slot in a room, would allow the owner to limit the time people can sleep in any beds in the room to X days.

This. Oh hedgehogs, this.

And as an idea:
Surprise Packages/Joker Boxes/Lost Luggage. Buy one, get a random item (or items). Maybe they're someone's lost backpack, and they've got some random Eboy's Items. Maybe it's a small bag of req, or a pack of cigs. Or a weapon from Sheila's. Or a Memento of some sort: "I opened this random box and all I got was this lousy Lio-ARGHRAGHAG!" Just...a box with a surprise inside. And do not tell us what's on the possible list of items. General category? Sure? Specifics? No. And maybe change them up from time to time.

I personally love stuff like this, and would likely spend way too much money trying my luck. Especially if they were priced low enough to be impulse buys. Throw one in with with the Quills/Brews/whatever I'm buying anyway.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've heard people asking form something like this:

A item that give you a discounted price(based on cig sp costs) on managing to get a teleporter beacon running for say a rl week.

I'll post more if I can think of them I'm drawing a blank here.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like a change in the Hunter's Lodge -- though it's more a customer service thing. A handful of C&Cs relating to Memories when buying a Memory. Some contraptions to set and read form your newly bought toy. Perhaps made a bit redundant with the limited selection Programming box, but still something to consider.

We might want to back these things up with some sort of announcement list; something that says the last five or ten things like "CavemanJoe used a Super Crate Drop!" or "SomeOtherPlayer used an Extend Extender!" maybe in the Stats column under the buff list.
Under, yes. Above? No. It's annoying enough to see how many rounds of my buffs I have left.

Oh! Can we further customise furniture to also change the message at New Day? Similar to how double beds work?

"You got a good night's sleep - must have been the relative luxury of sleeping indoors. You gain some Stamina."
I want to go to town on that! I want to put the text from the double beds to shame. I'll give you a buck for it? Or extra cigs?

A less altruistic, more selfish request: I'd buy favour/a way to get off the failboat without triggering a new day.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

A less altruistic, more selfish request: I'd buy favour/a way to get off the failboat without triggering a new day.

Alternatively, an altruistic measure: An item that reduces the Favour cost for everyone for a game day! (Or increases the Favour payout?)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 07:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just an idea here.

Long long ago, when I first bought a stake for Skronky HQ, I didn't have the cigs, so I bought some more (with SP).
Was a bit wary of this, I personally don't like buying cigs or req for the game, I'd rather get them by playing the game*, and it felt a little "wrong". Well I bought some anyway**. If I could have bought a stake directly, that would have felt better to me. Also, I'd have probably spent more on it. I didn't buy 100 cigs, I already had about 60 or so, so just enough to make it up to 100.
Buying directly, would have the slight advantage that you could get your stake from any outpost, not just IC, but that's a rather small one off.

*This implies absolutely no judgement of people that do buy req/cigs whatsoever. Just my personal little thing.

** Dwellings had just come out, I was dead excited and wanted to PLAY!!!

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A way to buy chronos for others, especially while on the failboat.

Also, the original suggestions are AWESOME, by the way.

And Kimmy, have some self-confidence. I think making Carter's Chef-Pak (TM) a real item you can actually use to actually help everyone out is a fantastic idea.

Purchased items: programming/pages for the exterior of dwellings. (Is it already there? I don't think I saw it). But an open/closed sign would be one basic, highly desired use of this.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 01:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

And Kimmy, have some self-confidence. I think making Carter's Chef-Pak (TM) a real item you can actually use to actually help everyone out is a fantastic idea.

Self-Confidence?!
WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?

I'm kidding.

It doesn't have to be a Carter Pack [although maybe he should get a special kind on his account Razz].
It'd be funny if we could customize it for our characters though. [Carter would have Chef Packs, Bob would have a cold storage box of tasty treats. Ferryn would have her jerky. Chimental would have...I don't want to know, actually. so on and so forth.]

Anyway,
Another...small thought.

It could vary on how well your Cooking Skill is...?

So, if your account [I won't say character. Bob has 100 Cooking. He still accidentally gets the stove to EXPLODE if he gets ANYWHERE NEAR IT. Big Grin], has really shoddy cooking, don't expect it to make much of a help if you wanted to help out the outpost.

Then again, if your account totally kicked ass [and took names!] at Cooking, you'd make masterpieces for the entire Outpost to enjoy! Big Grin

I just thought of that part. It might be a good way to limit it, if, say, a bunch of rich folk popped in.

._. I really hope it's at least an...interesting idea.
Or a nice-pleasant seeming one.
**wants to help**

Profile Email
Maniak
 Wednesday, September 21 2011 @ 05:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Re: Food.

It's been a long-standing desire of players to have a kitchen/pantry. So how about a place where we can donate meat and get something better in return? Could be in a dwelli--sorry, place. Could be a moving food cart a la Sessine's idea. Like Kimmy says, the higher your cooking skill, the better the food that comes out of it is.

Right now, cleaning carcasses and cooking is a poor tactical decision, both stamina and req wise. I can't remember the last time I did it. With a kitchen, I might actually visit Maiko's again.

The kitchen to install in your dwelling should cost a decent amount of supporter points (15 bucks worth?). The food for sale there should cost req, prices depending on quality and quantity.

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 02:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So far, I like only mainly CMJ's suggestions. Why? Because they have very, very little influence on how you play the game--they are, as entitled, for the benefit of everyone (so you aren't paying your way to a game advantage) and they won't change anything gameplay-wise on a large scale. Things like a kitchen or a teleporter-beacon discount break either or both of those issues (in my opinion. I admit these are subjective judgements, not inherent attributes, of the suggestions.)

The idea of being able to buy a discounted Chronosphere fill for everyone on the failboat sounds nice to me, but how much is that gonna cost? If it's too high, players would rarely buy it. And I can't imagine that being a low cost. The favour-payout item is on a similar note, but seems more reasonable to price. I like that one.

The Extend Extender in particular I like, because I'm ready to donate an Abe Lincoln to the Island anytime soon (got some money in the bank, finally) but I'm kinda waiting for a good time to donate it--I don't want to donate when the kitty is empty, because nobody gets any Extend out of it. If I see a Special Extend going on, I'll click that Paypal logo.

If it was easier to hit and maintain the Extend, I'd be more encouraged to spend more money--and I think I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

It'd be interesting if there was some sort of collective pot that people could buy into--and whenever it reached its limit (maybe $25), it would summon an Island air-raid that would bomb monsters at all of the outposts, cutting all jungle onslaught numbers to 25% of what they were. This way, there's no burden on a single player to save outposts by shelling out all the money themselves, but a few generous players can say, "Goddamnit, it's just too much for us, but maybe we can help everybody by chipping in a fiver". Then, on every map square and in the outposts themselves, there'd be a message saying, "There will be an air-raid in 10 minutes. Get into shelters so you aren't hit!" Of course, players wouldn't actually ever take damage, it's purely flavor.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the altruistic gifts ideas. Mega crate drops, Extended Extender.

The collective pot too sounds the right way to go, so that we don't waste a gift by two being 'triggered' at once.

Racking me noggin' to think of other ideas that would help a lot of folk. Saving breached outposts? Yes, but the mechanics of how to do this.....

How about a no stam cost, free travel day for rookies?

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
thryn
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 07:35 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I could have sworn I posted in this thread about the food cart/truck idea.

In short, I love it. Especially if it's reusable/customizable.

One-time purchase gets you the base food cart setup. This is either horrendously expensive or available only to those with max cooking, or both. Also perhaps a limited item that's re-upped only very occasionally.

Additional purchases (far less exorbitant) get you food items (Lodge Dogs, cocoa, Oronte's Tail Soup, whatever) with some base stam/fat settings. Throw in some more SP, or burn some cigs, to customize those. Like the furniture. Once you've got 'em, you've got 'em, but they can be re-customized at cost. Say each base food cart allows you to sell four items.

Then, another inexpensive item that you have to use (food cart generator fuel?) for each New Day on which you want to use the cart. Either that or the thing can only be used for x number of New Days per realtime month or something.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Thursday, September 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A day of free gifting.

Oh, imagine all the crap meat you'll receive. Or the occasional teleporter if you're lucky.

Or rocks. OH GOD THE ROCKS! You thought cobblestones were bad? Just wait until Edith hears of free-gift days.

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 05:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Back for an hour and he's already up to his old bullshit.
1. Not really an item - A better way to donate for other players. It's a semi-altruistic thing, since you can then gift SP to friends, rookies, sand people, trained teacup poodles, or sentient washing machines with enough ease that it doesn't deter people from trying to do it.

2. Name Tag - A one-time-only name change. The code for it should be on the Labs if it's still there. I'd kind of like to be Bart, and I'd be willing to fork money over for that option. As I mentioned in the post I made when I offered the code, I don't think a infinite-use one should be available. If you're going to rename yourself ImDaBest McKickUrAss, then you get to fork over the money again to get a non-retarded name. Have at it, Stardust.

C. Weather Man Mind Control Helmet - Control the guy controlling the weather. Maybe you want a day of sun! Maybe you want to set the scene for an event, and you want it to be rainy. Or maybe you're trying to rain on that parade. Now you can!

IV. Pack Mule In A Can - When opened, the pack mule will spring out, ready to help carry all that heavy wood, stone, or assorted Scrapyard junk. This reduces the overweight stamina debuff by X (50%, let's say).

V. Time Compressor - Sort of like an air compressor, but for time. When activated, reduces the travel stamina costs for all players by a small amount for that day.

Arrow ADM - Automatic Defrauding Machine. Boosts the daily interest from the bank from 1-5% to 6-10% for X day(s).

Tungsten. Contestant Appreciation Day voucher - Redeem the voucher to reduce Sheila costs by 10% for the NewDay.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 06:50 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

This would be an automatic 'kick out of the place' at system newday, if the character's 'laston' date is longer ago than X real-world days. Well, or it could be specified in game days. And you could customize it in Cadfael's -- for more supporter points -- to tailor the 'you were kicked-out' message.

Why people would buy: Many players build altruistic dwellings offering sleeping accommodation for passers-by. A stay of one, two, or three days may be fine, or even a week, but when characters just take up residence, log out, and don't come back, this generous purpose is frustrated.

Altruism only goes so far. Going back every day to track who's been in which bed for how long, checking in the contestants' list to see how long it's been since they logged in, and then booting out people who have overstayed their welcome... is a bigger time commitment than most people are willing to devote to a charitable purpose. The result is that beds fill up with characters who are not being played. This is especially a problem in NewHome and IC, but there are many places this kind of security guard would be welcomed.

Why this should cost supporter points: It's not something needed in every Place, only the public or semi-public ones. There should be spots, too, and plenty of them, where a player is allowed to log out freely for longer terms, at the discretion of the owner. The same effect can be obtained by someone regularly taking the time and trouble to go through the above steps in person, so it's not going to exclude anyone who can't afford to donate, but it is a sufficiently attractive labour-saving device that people will want it.

Why I want it? I want railroad guards who will go through the train stations rousting people who sleep too long on the benches in the passenger waiting halls. That's eight sales right there! Big Grin

Edited to add: And for further SP goodness, you could have to pay a maintenance fee in SPs, so that it wouldn't simply be a one-time purchase. Not prohibitive like the teleporter beacons... more along the lines of the guards you could hire for dwellings in S1: in other words, an affordable trickle, but an ongoing reason to keep your supporter points topped up. Maybe something on the order of 1 SP per real-world day, automatically deducted.

See, I think this is how beds should work by default. Double beds in particular, which are full of Horrible Bugs because of the Horribly Complicated way they work. I've made it so that more than two real-life days is an auto-kick.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 08:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I've made it so that more than two real-life days is an auto-kick.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, September 23 2011 @ 12:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I've made it so that more than two real-life days is an auto-kick.

Is that for ALL beds, or just the Horribly Complicated Double Beds?

(I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious so I can make different arrangements when I go on my one-week hiatus next month.)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply